Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 PS2 deterioration - Minitokyo

PS2 deterioration

page 1 of 1 23 total items

BerzerkerOr

BerzerkerOr

I was the jesus brick

Has anyone else had problems with their at least semi aged PS2. I've had mine since 01 or 02 roughly 5 or six years old, and it can only read about 6 out of my 14 ps2 games which are all in good condition. It starting getting extremely picky about which games it could read about two years ago and just recently it has started getting worse almost daily.

Signature

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

I had a first generation PS2 as well that got worse overtime, in fact I threw my old one away and just bought a new one after it angered me one too many times not playing my PS1 games. Sounds to me like you have a first generation system. It was known early on that the first systems released were buggy, in fact Sony just recently acknowledged that fact. If you haven't opened it up and therby voided the warranty, call up Sony and they are fixing them for free. As for me, I had to fix mine a few times so it was open.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

Yeah, recently my brother's PS2 went all weirdo and wouldn't read some games as well as DVDs and CDs. It would either not read them at all or freeze during the game/movie.
My dad cleaned it out and checked it and worked ok afterwards... so I don't know if it was because it was dusty inside or if it was because it was old :(

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

FloralFallal

FloralFallal

Lover of shirtless anime men

Yeah my PS2 started acting up too, I also have a first generation one and aparently they all start doing it eventually. My sister called the playstation help line and they said that you could just ship it back and get a new one for only $45.00 (you would have got it for free with the warranty but it's only a 90 day warranty so...). But I would just wait for the Playstation 3's to come out that's what I'm doing.

Signature Image
Thanks again to Tinbad for my avi and sig

clean the lens, like this tutorial. Laser lens definately collects grime off the disks.
http://forums.ffonline.com/showthread.php?t=18790

PhoenixNox

PhoenixNox

Psychotic Ender

yeah, mine got screwed up after a while. kept it going by opening it up and cleaning it once or twice. now I have the slim one.

r e v o l u t i o n | c o n v o l u t i o n | e x s p e c t a t i o n | d e s p e r a t i o n
Signature
Halo-2|TheGrungeFamily|doujin-arena|doujinshi-support-club|death-note|TheBattleRoom

Yep I had to take my PS2 appart, because of that stupid read disk error. The reason it is not reading disks is, because the cog is not sitting at the right angle. This puppy is a white geared wheel that sits at the back of your tray. What you want to do is look for a small metal tab that holds the cog in place. Then grap a black marker and mark the point where the wheel meets the tab. Then you can grab a 3mm allen wrench and start rotating it clockwise. It will click with each small turn, usually older models work with either 6-8 clicks, but when you are testing disks after each adjustment make sure you put the disk tray cover back on top. Well I hope that this was some useful info and good luck if you decide to fix it.

Ganjamus

Ganjamus

Insanity's Asylum

my PS2 still plays the games but it doesn't play certain movies. i've had for at least 2 years and it works fine. maybe it's how you treat you PS2 that depends on what it wants to play.

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines
^ In rememberance of the great siggy Milkiyo made me...

BerzerkerOr

BerzerkerOr

I was the jesus brick

Quote by Ganjamusmy PS2 still plays the games but it doesn't play certain movies. i've had for at least 2 years and it works fine. maybe it's how you treat you PS2 that depends on what it wants to play.

Yeah mine worked fine for like the first three years, but then it started not reading a few rare disks, then after another couple years it could barely read anything. As I said I've had mine for like 5 or 6 years and it only started screwing up on year 3 or 4.

Signature

UltraMarine

UltraMarine

Detective Prince

My 1st generation PS2 died from DREs (disc read error) a month before its 2 yr warranty was about to expire. I had exchanged it for a brand new 39001 model. About 3 years has passed since the exchange and I haven't encountered that dreaded error yet.

Signature

My is the first one, but i bought in the end...the last ones.
Well i don't have any problems yet.
But i'm waiting for PS3.

leosama84

leosama84

::Peace Maker::

well...as i've heard, its a way of monopoly!
they expect you to buy new hardware that is compatible with new video games that are compatible with new software! they just do that in order for you to spend more money ;) that's all!

Signature
-----My Latest Wallpaper: "Inner Power, Unleashed!!"-----
------------"Subtlety Is Not A Virtue!"------------

twilightmage

twilightmage

Starmage

I've had problems with some of my old games that I wanted to play... Really old games like Legend of Dragoon and Medievil. But I think it's mostly because those games are kinda scratched up. Hopefully... -_-' Because I really doubt my momma would want to buy me another PS2. XP

^_^ no problems never owned the 1st generation ps2 my cousin did though hehehehe i laugh at him

BerzerkerOr

BerzerkerOr

I was the jesus brick

Quote by twilightmageI've had problems with some of my old games that I wanted to play... Really old games like Legend of Dragoon and Medievil. But I think it's mostly because those games are kinda scratched up. Hopefully... -_-' Because I really doubt my momma would want to buy me another PS2. XP

Woot yay medievil, there are so few other people who still like that game. Old school. :)

Signature

Moati-san

Moati-san

occultism FTW!!!

WHO CARES!?!?!?!?!?!?! PS3! THIS CHRISTMAS IS LOOKING MORE AND MORE LIKE A DEF. RELEASE

Signature

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

Keep in mind though, first generation consoles are usually a big time bust. There is always some crazy thing that shows up as an issue. Buying a first generation PS3 to remedy the problem won't help, it'll likely create more of a headache. As for me I'll be buying a first gen PS3 because I'm a Sony whore. If that breaks, I'll buy a new one. I'M RICH BITCH... or I just have horrible priorities.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

Quote by shoujoboyI'M RICH BITCH... or I just have horrible priorities.

Yes, you do. Xp
But I have the same problem... had my ps2 for about 3 years... now, it just don't read many of my fav games. Oh man, this is sad.

Moati-san

Moati-san

occultism FTW!!!

Quote by shoujoboyKeep in mind though, first generation consoles are usually a big time bust. There is always some crazy thing that shows up as an issue. Buying a first generation PS3 to remedy the problem won't help, it'll likely create more of a headache. As for me I'll be buying a first gen PS3 because I'm a Sony whore. If that breaks, I'll buy a new one. I'M RICH BITCH... or I just have horrible priorities.

damn good point there my man! somehow that didn't even cross my mind. thank you

Signature

Uh.....my ps2...is really annoying right now...it won't play some games too......I really hate that.....

My PS2 won't play blue discs unless I turn it sideways. Turning your PS2 sideways is always worth a try if it isn't reading a disc properly.

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

I've got one of the very first PS2s. It has fire-wire! Woot. For all the good that does me. I haven't had any read error issues with it (if you don't count movies, mostly because it wasn't designed to deal with the amount of content most of them have now). The only problem I've ever encountered is the characters on screen constantly want to walk to the right with no one handling the controller. Fix for that = unplug controller, replug. :)

As for your problem. I know it sounds obvious, but have you tried a lense cleaner disc? That might help remove some of the dust without being so drastic as to take the case apart. You could also try blowing canned air through the vents in the front and back. When you store your PS2 maybe put it in a cabinet instead of leaving it out in the open, if that's what you do. It will keep dust from settling on it. Good luck!

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I have had first generation everything from Sony, and I have never ever had a problem with it. My PS2 works perfectly to this day, as well as my first generation PS, and I have a first generation PSP that has no problems. My friend however has had 3 playstation 2's since his first generation purchase, and if you send yours in and get another one back, it won't be new it will be refurbished...in fact the one my buddy sent in was probably in better condition than the one Sony sent back to him...I'd never send my shit into them.

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.