Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Questions from a newbie vectorer - Minitokyo

Questions from a newbie vectorer

page 1 of 1 12 total items

I posted this in the vectorness group but I'd really like to hear as many people's opinions on these as possible, so I thought I'd repost in the forum as well.
I've only just started vectoring (and mostly in photoshop...I'm slowly migrating to illustrator) so I'm interested in learning more tricks of the trade that more veteran artists use...

Questions for other vector-ers:
Do you usually outline?
HOW do you outline?

Question out of curiosity:
Do you prefer a simplifying style or do you try to get as much shading/detail in as possible?

I'd be happy to hear people's comments on other aspects of vectoring as well

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

ugh ill say this now, Vectoring in Photoshop bites hard.

i outline and colour at the same time =/, but thats when im vector tracing ^__^;;;

and when i vector i try to get as much detail as possible :D

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

1) Yes, I usually outline.
1b) I treat outlines like any other color layer, drawing them individually so I can control their thickness at all points.
2) It really depends on what I want to do with an image. For example, one of my current traces is very detailed as I'm trying to recreate the original image in all its glory. Another of my wips is extremely simplified - I'm using only 2 colors for it, because I want to make it highly stylized and tribal. Considering this is based of Amano's artwork, you can imagine how simplfied it must be if I'm only using 2 colors!

ZeroFear

ZeroFear

That guy...

I'm just now starting to vector (I'll probably have my first vector up on MT in a week. Super sexy too! :) ) and I'm finding it pretty easy. I've been using PhotoShop CS by the way.

Anyway to answer your questions:

1.Yeah since I've started I've always outlined. Seems alot easier.
2.I usually outline using shape layers and usually start off sloppy then clean it up later.
3.I like putting in as much detail as possible but that might change over time if I feeling expressive.

I see...using shape layers for outlines...I've been uncertain whether they were painted or layers- I've been doing both but I can see how layers make more sense

speedfreek, what exactly do you mean by vector tracing v. vectoring?

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Tracing refers to the fact one is directly tracing another image, in this case, with vectors. I also generally refer to my own works as traces unless they're obviously not (ie original designs I do myself in Illustrator without a base image to work from.) But sometimes I get lazy and just call them all vectors. Techinically I feel they should be called vector traces because well, that's exactly what they are.

Aha...thanks for the explanantion tama...I will remember to differentiate between the two from now on

I don't get it? Sorry I'm also new to vector tracing, But what I don't get is the line tracing and the Filling or those outlines. so do you trace the outlines and then retrace the area For the fills or do you use the outlines to Fill? I really don't understand is there some tutorial that could clarify it for me something I can see! please help!

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Check out Tama's web page Vectorage, the link is in the bottom of her sig. She has an awesome tutorial there, helped me out tremendously (even tho I'm still not sure if I do it like everyone else) For the most parts tho I do like my outcomes as of late. Line tracing, well in whatever software you are using...you are tracing the lines on a piece of art with the pen tool. You can set the pen to leave a line or just fill, or fill and have an outline. Depending on what you are doing you could set it to any of those. Ok for the most part I usually pick a part I'm gonna start with and create a shape with an outline on it, and it is filled in with a color. So I have a shape with an outline on it...as you read at Tama's you want to use different layers that each of these "shapes" or "outlines" or both go on. That way as you add more layers the picture gets more defined. Although I'm probably not helping much by typing all this. Again I highly suggest go check out Tama's web page...she's a good teacher :)

Nucleous

Nucleous

I will be taking you to.....

Thanks Tama is quite the artist and seems to help me when vectoring, I still have trouble using the pen tool in Illustrator making roundings, I can't get it right I have visited alot of sites for help but can't grasp the roundings! That sucks big will try hard and do it sometime!

SMILE, even through your tears!!!!!
Life is not Measured by the number of Breaths we
take, but by the Moments that Take our Breath Away.

Hello! I am new here and hope to know more about vector art. I have been drawing a lot but I do not know how to turn them into CG the fast and neat way. I am shy to put unprocessed scans in my gallery. Anyway, does anyone of you know of any websites that teaches and shows how vectors are used in professional examples? Sorry if these websites seem to be common knowledge here, I am a newbie and just hopes that joining Minitokyo helps me. I use illustrator for vectoring but there are many functions such as the fills that I am not sure with. Hope someone can be kind enough to guide me for some time.

I am wondering, if anyone can direct to a tutorial for vectoring (vector trace?) in PS with shapes. I did a vector recently, but with paths, and the result was file. However, the edges were rounded as paths were and lacked the clean crisp feeling. If anyone were to help me with my query, it would be greatly appreciated.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.