Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Loose weight in school with games! - Minitokyo

Loose weight in school with games!

page 1 of 1 11 total items

jaderabbit

jaderabbit

Cheetos Overlord

Quote: W.Va. Schools Get Game to Fight Obesity
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:26 AM EST
The Associated Press
By ALLISON BARKER

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia, which has one of the nation's worst obesity problems, is expanding a project that uses a video game to boost students' physical activity.

All of the state's 157 middle schools are expecting to get the video game "Dance Dance Revolution," and officials hope to put it in all 753 public schools within three years. A pilot project began in 20 schools last spring.

Students 10 to 14 years old are being targeted first because it is a key point in children's development, said Linda Carson, a professor at West Virginia University's School of Physical Education in Morgantown.

Those are the ages "when children really begin making more of their own decisions and a time when they could easily choose to be more sedentary," said Carson, who is conducting an ongoing research project into the video game's health benefits.

Game players move their feet on a special mat to correspond to arrows that scroll on the TV screen. The player must tap the same symbols on the mat at just the right time to do well.

The game is not meant to replace physical education and health classes. Rather, it is one more option that may appeal to students who often dislike other sports.

"If we can get children to change their behavior at a young age they hopefully will grow up to be healthy, active adults, which would have a positive effect on health care costs," said Carl Callison with Mountain State Blue Cross.

West Virginia is consistently among the top three states for obesity, with about a third of its residents considered obese and even more overweight, according to the state Bureau of Public Health.

Nearly 46 percent of 31,000 fifth-graders screened in a coronary artery risk project from 1999-2005 were considered overweight or obese, according to the Institute of Medicine guidelines.

Extra weight can lead to high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, some cancers and other problems. West Virginia leads the nation in high blood pressure and is fourth in diabetes.

"One out of three children born in West Virginia today will have diabetes by the time they grow up," said Nidia Henderson, health promotions manager for the public employees insurance program. "That's a devastating statistic and not acceptable."

The state also has turned to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for help.

The school project starts with the state's 64,880 middle school students and then calls for an expansion into high schools. By year three, state officials hope to have the project set up in the state's elementary schools.

Overall, the game is expected to be available to 279,788 public school students statewide.

The statewide project is expected to cost $500,000, with part of the funding coming from PEIA and Mountain State Blue Cross Blue Shield. Game manufacturer Konami Digital Entertainment in Redwood City, Calif., has agreed to provide $75,000. The state is seeking private funding for the remainder.

Each school is to receive a game console, at least two dance pads and software at a cost of about $740.

Ok i found this very interresting to say the least. Schools in wesst virginia are bringing in dance dance revolution to let there students loose weight O_O! I think it is a state with to high of a school budget lol, but i may actually help out. What is your opinion on this topic?

This is a great idea, especially kids who like video games, but they better hope the budget will have it worth.

merged: 01-26-2006 ~ 06:54am
This is a great idea, especially kids who like video games, but they better hope the budget will have it worth.

did you know that it is possible to slip on those mats, bump your head somewhere and die because of dance dance revolution? well i guess that's better than dying from diabetes ... anyway WTF?

i mean seriously ... go out and run 30min per day and it will be more healthy than playing dance dance revolution. why is it always so important to entertain people in order for them to lose weight? and what's with the kids who can't play that game or don't like the music or whatever?

on top of that ... if each school gets one game console ... well let's see how 1000+ students are going to lose weight by just jumping around for 15 minutes. or you wanna tell me that only fat kids are allowed to play it? well guess what, you are to thin to play dance dance revolution.

so as i said, i can't tell me that this will work out well. people should understand that in order to lose wait you gotta get your ass up the chair and start doing some sports. and if you don't want to go outside because you are too damn addicted playing world of warcraft ... well then stop munching all those chips and pizza.

to sum it up: "no sir, i dont like it".

DDR is getting old and played out, especially in my case when I've owned DDR since 2nd Remix on the PS1 back in 98. I used to play it hardcore up until the japanese release of Extreme, but stopped since then. The only reason that this idea will fly is because it appeals to all the anime geeks out there(no offense to anyone! haha) and will give a reason for the kids that hate doing normal gym activities to actually show up to class. And it is true though...most (not all!) overweight kids hate gym...but for some damn reason, they go bananas for DDR. Guess it goes hand in hand with anime geeks? haha j/k

Quote: to sum it up: "no sir, i dont like it".

And LMFAO to the horse from Ren & Stimpy.

this is horrible. u kno that in my school and in my area most people think i'm bolimic or anerixic. the fact that most americans don't have control over whatt they eat and how they excersize is just wrong. i'm healthy, i don't diet, and i don't over excersize at all. i'm a track runner and i weigh 115 lb. and my bodie fat barely makes 1/10th of me. this contry is overweight and needs to rethink thier ideas on the term healthy. i personnally think that this contry should be nuked. u kno what i'm calling the british russian chineese and jappaneese governments cuz something needs to be done about this hell hole. note to self return to montreal before calling. . . oh by the way guys i'm mostly kidding but i really think that the us is drifting and fast so we need to take action. ddr is a good wy to start and i like the idea so i think that if more people cought on this obesity problem might slow down a little bit. i'm soo sorry if i hurt anyones feelings with my responses but i'm just trying to tell the truth here and thankyou for reading all of this

Signature Image
"Do you exist? If dreams and computers exist and they are so smart how are you sure that you arent just a dream? Or what if your still in a dream and youve never woken up? And why havent you stopped trying to live? As life and time exist you see good times and bad. If you become succesful odds are your crussing someone else. If you are to mate all you are doing is passing on the burden of life. So why is it so important to keep living?"

To Bloodriden-Angel:

The fact that you can say that we should be nuked and then take it back makes absolutely no sense. It's like me saying "Hey, after reading this asanine post, I think you're a moron...but don't take it personally." The US = land of the free, meaning that we can eat as little or as much as we damn well please and we have every right to do so. I don't know what you saying that had to do with DDR in schools, so try sticking to the topic instead of your demented views on our country.

In any case, is DDR going all over that one state, to 200,000+ schools? I wouldn't have thought it had THAT many schools! I would've thought it meant country-wide.

Instead of DDR, just stick to a Itoy Kinetic. Its has alll different type of exercise one needs plus minigames and its not as repetitive as DDR. I mean, playing on a low level and then see some bloke come up next and play extreme is kinda daunting.

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

DDR is one hell of a workout, but only if you manage to get good at the game. These kids aren't going to be doing the hard stuff right out of the box and trust me I can do a basic song without cracking a sweat or getting my heart rate up at all. I think the idea in itself is a good one but more study should have went into it.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

DDR is the only excercise i get. it really helps keep me in shape.

sukumei

sukumei

Running A Critiquing Service

lol i i wan tin my school is something to do with martial arts and weapons. Maybe kendo or fencing but kendo is too slow and maybe i might beat nearly everyone at both....

I would like to run a friendly critiquing service for Minitokyo artists. I will try to make my opinions professional and defiantly unbiased although i will speak ideas for the general public. Critiquing service MT thread

Alternatively you can encourage people to walk to school rather than drive that 150m.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.