Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Defining Terrorism - Minitokyo

Defining Terrorism

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 26 total items

Quote by minebannThe only way you can avoid being prosecuted by any country is by being outside any country, ie. spending all your time in international waters...

You're a criminal if you've broken the laws of the country you're in. Simple as that. If I was running a country, and another country tried to hunt down someone in my country who hadn't broken any of the laws in my country, then that would be an act of war. And if they had, then the police of my country would deal with it themselves.

It sounds like your speaker is trying to obliquely justify the CIA's practice of kidnapping people around the world and sending them off to be tortured.

While I certainly don't support gov't sponsored kidnapping or torture...I think the point of the speaker would be to make "terrorism" a global crime according to international laws
Of course, in practical application...I agree that it is highly unlikely that all countries will agree to the same legal standard and so it would then degenerate into acts of war (intentionally or not)
The piracy idea in my opinion is more an intellectual exercise than a realistic suggestion (the speaker was an academic, so I'm not sure he necessarily thought that far in reality either)

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Terrorism is as I see it, the act of attempting to create terror & unrest within a community/country etc, with the intention of destabilising those in power/encouraging a change in policy etc so that another community or country will be treated in a way they perceieve to be better.

The reason for this action I believe is down to the fact that the instigators feel they are too weak to actively engage the other community/country in military action or their position with the other group is such that their desires would be ignored.

Its all down to someone feeling like they have to shout to be heard, I guess.

But thats my rather simple way of looking at it, theres a lot of fuzziness around Terrorism & such nowadays, but I think at its base level, its an attempt to encourage change where other means would be ignored or fail outright.

Signature
Dick Van Dyke is my Chuck Norris

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 26 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.