Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 FMA - Jap vrs Eng anime - Minitokyo

FMA - Jap vrs Eng anime

Tagged under Fullmetal Alchemist

What do you prefer - Jap or Eng of FMA?

Jap - The English voice actors just aren't as good
11 votes
Jap - you just know you are getting the whole story
12 votes
Jap - Just because
6 votes
Eng - Just because
1 votes
Eng - I like being able to understand the language as I watch
1 votes
Eng - It was transcribed quite well
3 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No :angry: the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all :P

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving up something in return.

Arelyn530

Arelyn530

Dreamer

I prefer the Japanese for two reasons - you get the whole, original story AND the Japanese voice actors are better.

Also the manga is VERY, VERY, VERY different from the series (and it's still going). I like the manga even more than the series.

Ah there is just no contest Japanese versions will always kick American version's asses. The truth and reason is quite simple...America is just too obsessed with editing. Must keep everyone who doesn't matter or count happy. PFT!

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

angelicdemonIII

angelicdemonIII

Dark and Light

FMA has a nice dubbed voices that match the characters pretty good like Ed, Roy, and Armstrong those are good voices. FMA is one of those animes thats has a really good voice acting crew. and in some cases there are some animes that are really good dubbed. for example Samurai Shamploo, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin (OVA), FLCL, Haibane Renmei, Lain, and Hellsing those have some really good dubbed voices alot of anime fans kinda need to open their mind alittle bit.

Signature Image

afaT

afaT

Let Air take me home...

Japanese is best. Americans cant just make it good. It just sounds so... nuts :/. When its japanese you get the whole feeling from the characters. The voices are good, and well acted. I think its not so many american voice actors that are good. But actually I have heard really good voice actors. For example, Record of Lodoss War (how does it spell :/). I dont got so much to complain there ^^.

Signature Image

English synchronisations are sometimes very bad! The japanese originals are always better than other synchronisations(my personal opinion)

I've started to read the manga ^.^ and yeah, the difference in the two storylines is quite large. I'm only at the 2nd volume, so SO far it's just been interchanges between anime and manga, but I can't wait to get further into it:)

I will always, always prefer Japanese. The English translations often change the dialogue, and lost scenes, and the voice actors grate on my nerves!

Go Japanese Seiyuu!

same as me,i won't stand dubbed version.too weird for me and the effect of the story is not the same.that's why i always go for subs.

I mean why would the English people cut out stuff - there is just no point? Original is always the best:)

kailone

wandering dreams...

personally, i like the subbed versions better. i like the fact that the original is able to convey certain moods and expressions better than any english can. plus (though the dub for fma isn't nearly as bad as some), i don't enjoy the processing the english version goes through so that it meets expectations for their specified audience.

--Moon--

gazing up in ebon skies,
I hear the darkness call

admiring the cool warmth
of its radiance,

seeing the weak light wane
through the glass window.

holding my hand up
to the moonlight,

a pale silhouette
contrasts the shadows.

it is here that it shall rise.
above...

elessar007

elessar007

Scan Collector Extradonaire

I know many people say that the original Japanese is best, and not just for FMA. But I ask what good is an anime if I can't understand what they are saying or if I have to stare at the bottom third of the screen the entire time? Until I become fluent in Japanese and can watch the original I will stick with the dubbed versions. This way I can actually enjoy anime and not have to act like some pretentious snob who has jumped on the bandwagon to declare English versions inferior in an attempt to make themselves feel like a superior fan.

i dun really like anything dubbed versions of anything... not even movies so i stick with subs or raws.

Dubbed anime ruins the whole show and story all together. I wish dubbed anime was banned, honest to say. I prefer having the original japanese versions then English version which rarely keep to the original story. They usually change things to fit their own likings -.- which kind of ticks me off a bit.
The japanese version was far better.

-renkinjutsushi-

-renkinjutsushi-

Samurai Alchemist

I like dub voice actors. I love Vic and Travis and Caitlin and the whole crew who is working on the dub of Fullmetal Alchemist - they're doing a great job, and they really, really love the show. It's not being half-assed like some anime out there.

That being said, I usually watch anime in Japanese. Not because I dislike the dubs, but because that is the langague the show is originally created in. Sometimes things get lost in translation. Sometimes things are added in. It just happens, because translation is an art and not a science.

This is why DVD releases are so nice. On one disc I have the English langague track, which I can watch if I don't feel like attempting to keep up with the subtitles or catching things in Japanese; or I can listen to it in Japanese. Six and one half dozen of the other.

Back when English releases and sub-only releases were common (in the days of VHS, which really wasn't all THAT long ago), the sub versus dub war was brutal. Now, it kind of idles around "so what do YOU listen to?" "OMG ELITIST" and all those sort of things. It amuses me. Ah, petty fans.

Now I'm gonna go watch me some Wolf's Rain. In Japanese - "Isshou ni, rakuen ni ikimashou."

Whosoever hath this Stone, may live in a healthful state, to the last term of his Life, appointed to him by God, and may have all whatsoever he desires on Earth. -- A Work of Saturn; Johann Isaac Hollandus

arch-god-elle

Arch God

NOOOOOOO~

Vic does and awesome jobbbbbb OMG~
Seriously Vic is god~
~elle-san

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

After watching nearly the entire series in english now, and after watching the entire series and movie in japanese. I think both parties did an equal job. I didn't see any major edits in fact I dont think I noticed any, as to what I read about it, there were to be no edits involved in the eng version or what aired on tv. I dont have a preference anymore...as the show seems to go on in english, you can hear in the actors voice how worn out Ed is from all the goings on...I think that is a great job. So I guess I can't vote cause there's not a button that says "I like em both" =)

Yeah, I have to agree with Fluke - this is one of those rare animes where both are good - and like rekinjuthsushi said, compared to other animes, there have been MUCH worse dubs.

There was large edits to the theme songs I notice as it airs on TV - they don't play the whole thing!? I like listening to the songs at the end, but for some reason they decided to cut it short. As for the eps themselves, the only one I've really noticed is that cut in Ep 25.

dub voices are pretty good.......but i prefer the japanese because english dub sometimes says things different from the subbing........also people who like dub are just lazy and stingy to watch the subtitles.....

elessar007

elessar007

Scan Collector Extradonaire

Quote by songprayeryunadub voices are pretty good.......but i prefer the japanese because english dub sometimes says things different from the subbing........also people who like dub are just lazy and stingy to watch the subtitles.....

I'm not lazy or stingy. 'Stingy' makes no sense since it means someone who spends money with great reluctance. My dislike for subtitles has nothing to do with being lazy or not wanting to read. I dislike subtitles because I would much rather look at the artwork of the anime and watch character's facial expressions instead of watching the bottom third of the screen so I can catch the subtitles.

People who can't end a sentence and insist on posting comments that don't even follow some of the most basic principles of grammar are lazy. ;)

ShinNoNoir

ShinNoNoir

Pirate

Japanese of course, there's always too much hints here and there that gets lost in translation. I'm french speaking and i hardly ever watch a translated movie because you lose the feel of thing, i just apply the same principle to anime. Also, listening to the original japanese track helps me in my japanese class :D

Some people wish to get what they deserve, while others fear the same.

Signature

toonmaker

toonmaker

Nani mono ka? Namae nanka...

I haven't seen the FMA in english audio but... I prefer the japaniese voices than english! Why? It's just that most of animes are producted in Japan (and based on Japaniese culture) so i want to hear the Japaniese language!

I'm a dub-lover, so naturally, 95% of the time, I watch FMA in English. The English voice actors are AMAZING and incredibly talented, and I don't think it takes away from the original Japanese version at all. In fact, I think there are some scenes that are far better in English than in Japanese.

However, that's not to say that I don't enjoy watching FMA in Japanese. I drool over Mayumi Yamaguchi's voice every time I hear her, and I love listening to the Japanese language in general.

It all depends on what kind of mood I'm in... xD

dragonbard

dragonbard

Imitating Sanji

Wee i think the english version is simply awful...i can't watch any anime dubbed in english or any other language...Subtitles are just perfect and japenese voice actors are always great so they have to keep this up!

Well, life depends on AAYAA

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.