Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Winter Olympics 2006 - Minitokyo

Winter Olympics 2006

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

As some of you might know, the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy is starting on Friday. What are your thoughts about the winter (or summer) olympics? Are you planning to go to Torino to watch the olympics, watch it on TV, or not watch it at all? What sports in the winter olympics do you like?

CosmoStar

CosmoStar

Let's be Nakayoshi*

I may watch some of the figure skating competitions, because I just love this sport! I cannot practice it, but I enjoy watching it... I even watched some of cups that had happened before the Winter Olympiad. I consider Irina Slutzkaya a great skater ^_^ ...
Thanks for the thread!

~Life is happening somewhere else from here
~[D-A]~[A-F]~[W-L]~[M-F]~[G00D]~[GSA]~[KxL]~[Red-Knight]~[Princess of Orb]
~Mod from:~[KS4Ever]~
Signature

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

I'll probably watch some of it, figure skating to be more exact. I have my fingers crossed for Michelle Kwan although I do feel that her chances aren't great because of her recent injury and strong competition from Irina Slutskaja, Sasha Cohen, Yukari Nakano and a few more.

Signature Image

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

I skim the olympics just to see how the US stands in the medal race but like many people out there, there just isn't much allure to the winter olympics. Unless you keep up with these sports throughout the year there isn't any one person you just cheer for or follow. The summer olympics you get to see basketball players you are familiar with and track stars that make themselves known months before the games start. I think that the winter olympics just lacks the proper marketing to make it more interesting.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Since the Opening Ceremony is this Friday, I think we ought to make this thread a bit more lively, ne? :)

As for me, like many others I will particularly focus on figureskating. Because Michelle Kwan was given a free ticket to Torino, I would like to see her produce a performance worthy of that trust and privilege. Not that she's not a very talented skater, but now that there are a number of very young talents taking to the ice, I think Kwan would be hard pressed to live up to the overburdening expectations.

I will also closely follow the men's speedskating shorttrack competition. At Salt Lake City, there was quite an uproar over Apollo Ohno and Korean An Hyun Soo's crash. Four years later, the smell of vengence may be in the air? ;)

Now, regarding shoujoboy's comment, I think there is indeed a large deficit in media attention for the Winter Olympics. Except for TIME and Sports Illustrated articles, I have yet to see anything devoted to the Winter Olympics written or broadcast. Yet the Summer Olympics got such a huge amount of media attention, from doping to medal contenders to security to general Greek culture. Of course, it was very symbolic that the Olympiad returned to its birthplace, but nonetheless, I think it is time that we give more attention to the winter sports as well.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Like EternalParadox, I will be following the figureskating, but I might see if I can catch some shorttrack... I would really like to see how Michelle Kwan does because she has been recovering from an injury. It would be really nice if she could finally get that Gold, but I don't see it happening.

Signature Image

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

I was a little disappointed with this year's torch lighting. The main torch didn't directly touch the Olympic flame.

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

Quote by fireflywishesI would really like to see how Michelle Kwan does because she has been recovering from an injury. It would be really nice if she could finally get that Gold, but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, I would also like to see her get the Gold medal she deserves (in my opinion), but that won't be happening since she has decided to withdraw from the Olympics because of her groin injury. :(

Michelle withdrawing

I think it was the right decision, though. She's doing the right thing to listen to her body.

Signature Image

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

I believe this was Michelle Kwan's last chance at an Olympic Gold too. I think this is the end of her career. That's why she was so adament before about staying in the Olympics.

merged: 02-13-2006 ~ 01:16am
on a different note, what happened to that Canadian figure skating pair? I liked them.

I love the Winter Olymipics! I'm really sad to hear that about Kwan :(. It seemed the last two Olympics the Gold was hers, but then someone would sneak in there and get it. I feel bad for her.

Ah well, I'm watching the Olympics for hockey. I hope Canada's men's and women's team can bring home the gold again.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

It's a shame that Michelle Kwan withdrew from competition. This was her last shot at the only honor missing from her long list of trophies, and it is really a pity that she must end her dream of Olympic Gold in tears of sadness rather than of joy.

Nonetheless, I am sure that she will be remembers as one of the most talented and dominant figure skaters in the history of the sport, and art. As I read the plethora of news articles and commentary, all of them have been extremely positive of her accomplishment. One editor cut the fact down to its core: "Simply put: She beat more good skaters from more places for a longer time than anyone else."

Of course, if it really is the final curtain call on the Kwan era, we can still look back on all of the golden moments at Worlds and at Nationals, ne? I think her victories there more than make up for a lost Olympic Gold.

What's more, we now get to see Emily Hughes, the younger sister of 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes. It's not easy to be a replacement, especially when she is filling in Michelle Kwan's shoes, so I will be cheering for her as well. :)

Oh, and Caine091, the Canadian women's hockey team crushed Russia today in a 12-0 victory.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Wow I didn't know that Michelle Kwan withdrew. That has to suck since she wouldn't have another chance at Olympic Gold.

I have complete confidence in Canada's hockey, I'd love to see us get a few more medals this time in other sports though.

allright i watched some events on the tv recently. the women sking rawks.

I've been watching the olympics a little bit. I'm more of a fan of the summer olympics. I've watched a little bit of the ice skating, snowboarding and luge. Honestly I was really looking forward to Michelle Kwan and am disappointed that she's not going to participate, but I think she made the right decision to withdraw when she's hurt.

melissa-clyne

feel the music...

I watch them by TV... mmm I like skii and snowboard ^^

Don't be sad because it finished, be happy because it happened...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kai81220

kai81220

anti Nobunaga

GO CANADA ^____^

freestyling, hockey and boarding all the way ^^b

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Did anyone catch the Women's Snowboard Cross Finals yesterday? *shakes head* What a disappointment...

Signature Image

Ha! Canada.....a little misfortune with Switzerland. (sorry but I don't know how to spell em). It's gonna be a tough final, especially with team Russia on a roll. Go Russia!

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

The best part of Winter Olympics? Hands down it has to be curling. I don't know why but see people use brooms to brush the ice in front of a big rock amuses me.

damn..... the male hockey team lost to russia........ but the girls has the gold..... why is that?

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

It's called skill.

Go Alyssa Camplin! What a champion! And such a great story after coming back such a horrific injury at the last olympics when she injured her knee after falling.

merged: 02-24-2006 ~ 04:54pm
And the final of the women's snowboard cross. The American should have won it easily but she tried to show off and fell over and ended up getting silver!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.