Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Muslum praying rooms in american schools - Minitokyo

Muslum praying rooms in american schools

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 51 total items

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by Fysan

Quote by BorisGrishenko[The UN] has failed so many times and has become such a cluster that I support US withdrawal and kicking them out of New York.

Just because the UN can be looked at as uneffective it does not mean that you can go around what rights are given to humans...And seriously, why do think they fail and do you not believe that they do any good just because numerous governments fails to listen to them?

Actually, they fail because instead of making the world a better place they make it a worse place. Without the UN, Saddam would have properly been deposed in the early 90s rather than us having to fight him all over again to remove him. The UN is afraid to even touch the Sudan situation. The UN allows nations like Red China and Libya run its human rights sectors. Is that what you call "succeeding?"

Quote by FysanKicking them out.. Jesus Christ. Where is your sympathy?

My sympathy is with the people the UN fails to protect, like the people raped by UN forces in various parts of the world, and the people of Iraq who without the Coalition of the Willing defying the UN would still be under the oppressive Baathist regime of Saddam Hussein.

Quote by FysanI am ok with anyone who does not want their money going to something like religion. Since it is such great individual and private buisness.
But look at is a good deed for a fellowing human being. It cannot be hard to see how much religion means to a lot of people, and giving them a little space to do so , well. It is not to ask for much, but it can do much.

It is too much, especially if it is for Islam.

I am invincible!

xshintax

Gif files are Compu$erve

Muslims shouldn't be allowed in the country, so I don't see a need for it. Also, Muslims should just pray off in a corner or something. Muslims shouldn't really be getting in here, but people should learn to deal with them being here, so kids should learn to respect Muslisms when they need to pray. Seperating htem during prayer time prevents this from happening so it is kind of bad...

Wtf is your problem?!?

Why the f*** do I need to use proprietary filetypes in my signature and avatar? Stupid Minitokyo... STUPID COMPU$ERVE! Use png instead.

Yay for the US's secularist public schools!

Someone mind posting an article on this? I might as well make a thread asking about what everyone thinks about the US making a colony on Mars if we're not going to post sources.

Edit: Woah. Hi ~Shinta-sama.

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

dude Christians aren't allowed to worship in public schools, so Muslims shouldn't be allowed to worship either. allowing one religion to pray during school hours and barring all others from praying is called religious discrimination. if I remember correctly, public schools are supposedly "against" religious discrimination. I smell bullshit coming from the government's side of the conversation.

I do not agree with this at all, and I believe the Christians in America should stand up and protest this. until this year, I've been very tolerant of Muslims, but the more I study the principals of this religion, the more intolerant I become. if they want religious freedom, they should go back to wherever it is they came from and leave us alone.

I agree with BorisGrishenko about the UN, too. also, the United States was initially a Christian nation. what are we now, because of our loose immigration laws? a clusterf*ck of religious conflict. this country is going to hell, that's all there is to it.

I harbor no resentment towards Jews, Buddhists, Atheists or those who follow Hinduism. Jews came before the Christians (study religion, please), and from my experience, the other three faiths (or lack thereof) are fairly respectful of Christianity.

I may add to this later when I think of other issues I've forgotten about.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

eXDream2K5, you do remember incorrectly. Christians, Muslims, etc. are allowed to pray during school hours, but the school isn't going to give them free time to do so. If the schools did it would be illegal.

Good job being "tolerant" of Muslims, but you don't know shit about their religion to put it bluntly. And maybe you should try to remember even one of your "issues" with Muslims before you post. Look up the word "generalization" in a dictionary. Maybe you'll learn something.

ChopperDave

ChopperDave

Likes Gundam too much

Well I think this is BS, freedom of religion doesnt mean imposing on others...this is all im gonna say about this...

rituel

rituel

kLepToMAniaX Designs

I agree with those of you who say that America committing hypocrisy. Perhaps they're taking advantage of the "Drawing of Prophet Muhammad" situation to make themselves look good in the international community.
Heck, Indonesia (where i live) is pratically an Islamic country, but the only schools that have Musholla (prayer room) are Islamic schools.
Sure, it's a religious requirement in Islam to pray 5 times a day (and yes, there are only certain hours for Shalat, that's why it can't be done at home) but I don't think it's really relevant in America. They've been fine without it, why make a fuss now, right?
pls dun flame me on this.

Teacher or Offical lead prayer it what was banned, AFAIK. Student prayer was not banned. Students can organize prayer groups as long as no adults are involved. This was to accomodate children who's parents did not have the same beleifs as the home room teacher. They had a moment of silence for prayer at one time, but even that offended children of Atheistic (specifically) and some other beliefs Parents. So when a student requests a place to pray they should be given that opportunity away from the classroom setting.

I used to be Muslim but I stopped believing in God quite some time ago. Anyway, I am sure that I am more knowledgeable in the aspect of this religion than anybody else here. So for starters, the 5 prayers a day thing can be "re-paid" at a later time. Meaning the Muslim students can pray 5 times at once AT HOME AFTER SCHOOL. So I see no reason at all why they should have prayer rooms in school.

On another note, I notice that a lot of Americans are prejudiced against Muslims and are talking right out of their a**. If you do not know or understand a religion, please do not claim as if you do. It is because of people like you that there are all these religious quarrels today.

Case Scenario: Person X claims he knows shit about Islam and Person Y reads what Person X wrote. Hence Person Y thinks that what Person X said is a FACT whereas it's a whole load of s***. Process repeats and hence a huge misunderstanding resulted from the simple words of a mere dumba***.

While we're on the subject, let me ask all of you 2 questions. The 2 questions that erased my faith in God.

1) Does God know the future? Muslims And Christians will proudly answer "YES!"
2) Then if God knows the future, how can you choose your own fate? God already knows if you are going to Heaven or Hell, no?

Traize

Traize

Design Student

FyeKay just summed up several pretty accurate points I would have to say...

Boris, you sound as if you have decided that all Muslims are terrorists, you're not the only one, but the voice of a Radical is always louder than the voice of a blind lemming...

I wouldn't have bothered posting in fact had it not been for Boris, I mean, come on, you & a few others in here are seriously acting like a bunch of Bible Bashing Red Necks, I half expect you to threaten people with pitchforks. Not that there aren't those on "the other side" the Muhammed Comics thread had one lovely chap suggest Al Qaeda attacking Denmark would be a good thing (the idiot lives in Denmark interestingly).

Just, for the love of whatever god you do or don't follow, don't be so horrifically close minded, I know this won't make a blind bit of difference to those of you out there with some deep mob-style passion for swinging on those who are different, but I gotta try...

No one person represents every member of a group, what you see on TV of Muslim's burning embassies is not a representation of the whole but a minority, I know thats difficult to believe thanks to the media, but just as not everyone in America is as ignorant as yourselves & just as not every 14 year old with an opinion feels the need to spew it blindly out of their ass, not every Muslim is a Terrorist or a Radical, not every Englishman a stuck up toff with bad teeth & not every difference of opinion a visceral attack on your beliefs & society.

Just, chill okay? Seriously, I've been here a month or so & the tone of posting in some cases has gone from open to "bomb the hell out of everyone, they might be against us!".

Its really quite scary that so many people can think like this, mainly because I fear none of you will grow out of it.

Signature
Dick Van Dyke is my Chuck Norris

Traize, I really like your post, really interesting.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the topic has somehow drifted toward something that goes slightly over the edge. If you agree, after Australia, England, Indonesia, let me speak a bit about the French way of doing things (not necessarily the best one). France has a strong muslim minority (and they usually are really far from the extremists some people here think muslims are).

I'm not American. I'm French. And I try to be catholic (the quiet kind who think that the good samaritan story is far from being understood by most people). Now you know what you are dealing with in this post.

France is more or less a laic country. I mean that up until 1905 the church had ties with the state, but since then there is a separation between the state and the church. In the French vocabulary, it broadly means that you can pray to whoever you want, the Big Red Fish in the Celestial Aquarium if you want, so long as you don't step on other people's right to live freely. Your freedom stops where you neighbor's freedom starts.

As for the French administration (an English writer once nicknamed it 'the elephant' to reflect how easy it is to cope with its logic...), laicity means that there is no state religion. It means that the state can't recognize any religion as better than another, or even as true. The state has no religion, therefore the people working for it must show no religious sign in their work (after that, they do what they want). The same logic is applied to public schools.

In French public schools, people (teachers and students) may bear a small cross dangling from a chain around their neck, or a hamsa pendant if they want, so long as it is personel and can't be seen as a way to somehow 'impose' your opinions on other people.

Quite often, in high schools and suchlike, you may find a place where students can come and speak about religious stuff and suchlike. They are free to do so there, but once again the rule is 'respect other people's opinion or get out.' However, there is no specific official prayer room.

The policy of 'no evident religious signs' other than small pendants and suchlike does not always goes smoothly. More or less every year, there are some problems at the beggining of the year when muslim girls come with a chador on the head... Usually it leads to news headlines for a few days then the matter is forgotten due to more interesting news. Up until a couple of years ago, this also lead to long discussions between the school board and the students. Now, a law sets the rules more clearly, even though there still are some weird cases showing up here and then.

If you want to mix religion and education, you can go to private schools. Even in semi-private schools, if a student feels offended by some religion or politics stuff in the school he can ask for the removal of the offending stuff. In fully private schools, you do as you please, so long as the students learn the basics. I read recently that a brand new muslim private high school is about to open here. It's going to be the first one in France. And even there the religious stuff won't be mandatory.

One last thing. I read on the previous posts things like 'muslim must pray five times a day.' I would simply like to remind you that catholics should pray even more often... I don't know the English words, but you have vigiles (the night prayer), primes (the dawn prayer), laudes, tierce, sexte (noon), none, vepres, and complies (before going to bed)... Now, it's been quite a long time since catholics gave up on them, except maybe for monks and some extremely religious communities. But please, don't go saying that praying is only a muslim matter...

Oh, and Fye, for your questions:
1) God only knows ;)
2) if my memory is good K. Jaspers, a German, said that God (or whoever you want) had given the humans freedom and the tools to try understanding how things worked, but it was up to the human beings to use them... and to use them correctly...

SekiRyuu

airsoft addict

this is so hipocritical: christian prayer is practically banned in american public schools, yet the're intending to make muslim prayer rooms? if they do that they will have to make a christian chapel; and then they'll get complaints from the buddhists, the jews, and god knows who else

Signature
	Imagehttp://chatairsoft.com/images/zoom/TIYCVS/MP5Jsig.jpg[/sigimg]

ChinoMareno

ChinoMareno

This is a girl in the picture

Well here in Australia, religion and state are not mixed. There are no prayer rooms in state schools, but there are in Government offices and Tertiary institutions.

Its a bad move, i think the muslim's should reconsider making their kids worship so blatant, not that it isn't alright but it singles them out. Its easy to target them like that i guess, i know in my old school theyd just about tear you apart for something like that. It also creates alot of resentment and at the moment theres alot of hate building up here, as there is in the states.

oh and about god,

If god made Eden and adam the way he is then surely he knew that he'd eat the damn fruit. He made human nature yet blames us for doing what he intended us to do.

Your avatar is an image which reflects your personality or an aspect of it. Minitokyo recommends against putting a female avatar if you are a male, and likewise for the other gender.

I live in GA, and we have a "moment of silence" after the pledge of allegiance and all that other stuff.

Quote by FyeKayI used to be Muslim but I stopped believing in God quite some time ago. Anyway, I am sure that I am more knowledgeable in the aspect of this religion than anybody else here. So for starters, the 5 prayers a day thing can be "re-paid" at a later time. Meaning the Muslim students can pray 5 times at once AT HOME AFTER SCHOOL. So I see no reason at all why they should have prayer rooms in school.

This is incorrect I'm afraid, it is allowable for a Muslim to make up for a missed prayer due to unavoidable reasons, but not for frivolous ones that are unnecessary. There is actually no reason why a muslim could not pray during the break time or lunch period that all schools have, even if they have no room set aside for it they can pray outside. And I don't see why that would cause problems for anyone else. It's a matter of how dedicated they are to their religion.

As for your 2 questions I did a little research and found this link:

here

and I found a relevant quote on the same site:
"A person is not forced to obey or disobey Allaah he has free will as befits his state, but it is subject to the will of the Creator."

that might help clarify things about the Muslim viewpoint.

It's like if you have a mouse in an enclosed maze, and it can make a choice to go left or go right. But on the right side there is cheese... obviously it will go to the right, that can be assumed with almost certainty. Now if we assume that the person looking at the mouse is infinitely intelligent and has an amount of knowledge you could not even imagine, then it is conceivable that they could know what the mouse will do under all circumstances. That does not mean the mouse suddenly loses its free will because this person is watching, now does it? Now add in the fact that the person watching created the mouse and knows its inner workings completely... can you understand how people can believe in free will and the fact God could know the future as well?

Anyway that is all rather off topic.

I just wish people could be more tolerant of others.

EsunaMeggy

EsunaMeggy

Bubbly and Eccentric

Well my school has a club called Teens4Christ, which meets after school every Thursday. Most of the people in the group try to convert everyone they can and do impose on the faiths of others, but they are allowed to have this group because it's the student's choice to join it or not. If they can have their school sponsored club, then Muslims should be able to have a prayer room, as long as they do not try to convince others with different beliefs to pray.

However, I do not agree with the club for Christians, nor do I agree with having a prayer room set up. This is because church and state should be separated.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.
-Mel Brooks

daos

daos

Dark Angel Of Silence

I was Muslim, but I can't say I'm really attached to this.
Has there been a huge flood of Muslims coming into America? I think that if that is not the case and the dominant religion still being Christianity, there should be no reason why this is done. Is this just for your school, the whole region, or country? Maybe if it's just in your area it could mean that a lot of Muslims have been coming in? In which case it is only fair that they get these praying roooms. I don't know.
However, if there is a religious praying room for Muslims, it might as well mean that all the other religions get one of these rooms or whatever it is they require for their religious needs.

I don't doubt that if a school has a sufficent number of hindu students that a shrine on school grounds would be built so that they could carry out their prayers. I feel that if a single hindu asked the school would accomodate that student and provide a place for them, but it depends upon the principal. The United States is built on fredom of religion. Each student has the right to express their beliefs. I am a christian and I believe that God has always let people make thier own choices. By the way FreKay, just because God knows the outcome of events does not mean that every little detail was decided by God. It just means that God knows. Someone can know something and have all or nothing to do with the outcome.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Quote by EsunaMeggyWell my school has a club called Teens4Christ, which meets after school every Thursday. Most of the people in the group try to convert everyone they can and do impose on the faiths of others, but they are allowed to have this group because it's the student's choice to join it or not. If they can have their school sponsored club, then Muslims should be able to have a prayer room, as long as they do not try to convince others with different beliefs to pray.

However, I do not agree with the club for Christians, nor do I agree with having a prayer room set up. This is because church and state should be separated.

The law in the USA states that although religion and school must be seperate, students are allowed to run religious clubs, since political and idealogical clubs are also legal.

I've searched online for a news article about these Muslim praying rooms and I haven't found one yet. Could someone post a link for a news article about this?

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

The establishment of a Religion Club does not violate seperation of church and state.

For starters, its an extracurricular program that meets after regular school hours have ended. furthermore, going around and discussion of ones religious views in school does not consitute as a breach of this either, it is similar to somebody trying to persuade another to join their political party.

Signature
	Image[/img]

well in australia religion is seperated from the state in a fked up way. each principal can choose if only christianity, all religions or none are thought in school time. but we have fked up federal politicians who talk about "good christian" values and how they should be imposed on the muslim minority whenever we disagree with the gov't.

btw on september 12 2001 a siek friend of mine got some really rough treatment from the christians in the school. that being :
stone throwing, spitting and insults.
so putting a prayer room might not be a great idea in a country that finds this acceptable..

PS. I am muslim

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

In the US you can't have praying and public school together. It's illegal due to the seperation of church and state. Private schools can have them though.

I personally have no problems with prayer in school. If that's what you want to believe in then fine just leave me out of it. However, I think that if you let muslims have prayer rooms then every other religion will ask for rooms too. Schools in the US (especially California!) are crowded as is. I think it is a waste to have a room just for prayer.

Also US education levels are declining as well (again especially in California). Five prayer breaks times 8 minutes is close to an hour. It would be a waste not to spend that in class and learning instead. I don't care what you choose to do with your time so it's your choice.

Schools are not places for prayer. I apologize to all Muslims out there who are stuck between a rock and a hard place because their religion requires them to pray when they might not be able to. However, I stand by what I said.

Most schools don't even have the capabilities to cater to religions. American schools are facing overcrowding with a lack of teachers. They can not just whip up a room for students to go and pray in. They would also have to change their schedules to adjust the leaving students or face the interruptions. Either way, it is not fair to other students to have to deal with these interruptions.

Muslims and people of these sort of religions just have to find different options. We do not have the ability, facility, nor time and effort to keep catering to people. If you come to America and bring your culture, good for you. But don't expect America to cater to your culture. You have to adjust to us.

Quote by SekiRyuuthis is so hipocritical: christian prayer is practically banned in american public schools, yet the're intending to make muslim prayer rooms? if they do that they will have to make a christian chapel; and then they'll get complaints from the buddhists, the jews, and god knows who else

Seems that you have a misconception about Buddhists here. Buddhists do not need prayer rooms since they do not pray. Taoists do but they do in in front of altars at home and in temples.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 51 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.