Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 something about extremists and missionaries. - Minitokyo

something about extremists and missionaries.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

A few weeks back, I opened the door of my apartment to see two women, one about 50-60, and one about 80+.

Only to find that they were people from a particular church trying to spread the word of the Christian god to me. Carrying a bible they tried to tell me how god created the world, and how god is going to save this pathetic world filled with death, sickness and sadness.

My own skeptism about christian values and ideals put aside, i have only one thing to say. These churches are going too far.
How can they exploit the elderly people to try to convert people of other religions? she was 80+, she shouldnt be out walking across the block of flats breaking her back telling people to follow the word of their god. She should be taking care of her own body.
Second thing. I feel that some christians, i emphasize SOME (like these two ladies) are getting too arrogant for their own good. It is apparent, the chinese altar hanging outside my house. However, these people do not give a damn, and they start to tell me how good their religion is and the limitation of my own family religion right infront of the family altar. It is an outrage. They have absolutely no humility and sensitivity, just because their religion happens to be the one with the largest population. How do they expect me to convert, expecially when they do not have any respect for the religion i already have?

I hope that you will tell me your views on this.

natsume44

natsume44

Yamapi Fangirl

I'm a Christian myself, but I completely agree that a lot of Christians go too far. I'm actually quite disgusted by some of the more extreme ones. For example, about a year ago, a group from a church in Kansas came to a local public school where I live (Arkansas) because they had a club called the Gay-Straight Association, and had shouted things like "All fags are going straight to hell," and "God will never forgive gays." Even non-Christians know that those statements go against our beliefs.

It’s really annoying. When these extremists and missionaries are trying to tell us how grateful being a Christian. That God is here to save us. I'm a Buddhist. My ancestors, grandparents and parents raised me to believe in Buddhism. I have nothing against any religion. I believe all religions are powerful. They have their own way of beliefs. But they’re pushing it too far. I don’t want to be harassed. I've been stopped plenty of times on the sidewalk, laundry mats, parks, even at my own home.

I have seen worse involving one of the family who lives a few houses down the road in my residential area. Their only son (originally a Taoist/Buddhist) converted to Christianity because his fiance is a Christian. Well, the parents being the only people in the family left still practicing Buddhism decided to convert too because it is logical that no one is going to continue carrying the Buddhist beliefs in the family after they pass away.

That part was okay and it is common for people to convert from one faith to another and vice-versa but what happens after that totally made my blood boil.

The family had a Buddhist stone altar (the pillar type with an altar and a deity statue inside all carved from stone) outside in the compound. Obviously it had to be removed. What happened was some guys from church came over with sledgehammers and start smashing the whole thing apart. Where is the respect I tell you? It really put me in a violent mood had it not been laws against harming someone.

These type of altars, while indeed heavy can still be easily removed by having a group of guys carrying it up. It is not like the altar is permanently stuck to the ground.

EDIT: Why are weird symbols popping up in places where I use apostrophes?

lubryka

lubryka

The Pulse of Awakening

I'm an atheist now, but I was brought up in a Roman Catholic family. From my own experience I have to say that most of Catholics in my country know nothing about other religions and don't wish to know, they believe that Christianity is the best. If you are not a Catholic you are looked down upon and are considered to belong to some kind of sect.

cyberfrogX

cyberfrogX

Malik-Aru

I'm a Catholic and, lubryka, I have never met another Catholic fitting the description you have given. They actually peach tolerance and understanding at my church. I must agree that some chirstians go too far though. I have had many a protestant call me and other catholics non-christian. There is this one group at my college that is the worst. They peach everyday of the week, yelling at passing students and telling them all how they are going to hell. They pretty much think that anyone who doesn't completelly surrender their life to Chirst isn't christian. Now this is in conflict with my beliefs. At the very least they could be nicer about it. I have no problem with other religons myself, and I personally think that as long as you abide by the virtues of your own moral consious that you won't be judged harshly.

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Look, even differnt denominations under the so-called Christian belief are at each other's throats. You get your extremists in any religious society. Techiquely, accoriding to the church's records, I'm a Protestant Christian. There are very few Catholics here where I live, but still, we have different student sects which I don't know where they crawl out. They are the types that walk in bars or clubs, targeting someone, and not leaving them alone untill you either agree to join them or scare them away (shouting profanities doesn't work - invite them to a sacrafice to some god you just made up). They are young and idealistic, but still have no tolerance to other beliefs.

Whenever people start to drop Jesus' name, I get uptight. Whenever people can't accept that there are different beliefs and religions I get angry. And that goes for all - I KNOW not all Muslims want to burn the West to the ground and claim it a holy Jihad, it just frustrates me that there are those that does.

But I agree, fundamentalists, extremists and missionaries are the last thing any religion need - the give the rest a bad name.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Uhm i'm happy that they don't do stuff like that here.
Anyway, i would come up with something like:
I'm Buddhist, i respect your religion but i just can't believe it.

Eventough i don't believe in any religion for the moment :P

toza

toza

forsaken by destiny

people can follow whatever religion they want. that too if they want to follow a religion. people cannot decide for others. generally humans are smart enought to know what they want. but missionaries, no matter what religion they belong to should not go around trying to convert people.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by kiopiI have seen worse involving one of the family who lives a few houses down the road in my residential area. Their only son (originally a Taoist/Buddhist) converted to Christianity because his fiance is a Christian. Well, the parents being the only people in the family left still practicing Buddhism decided to convert too because it is logical that no one is going to continue carrying the Buddhist beliefs in the family after they pass away.

That part was okay and it is common for people to convert from one faith to another and vice-versa but what happens after that totally made my blood boil.

The family had a Buddhist stone altar (the pillar type with an altar and a deity statue inside all carved from stone) outside in the compound. Obviously it had to be removed. What happened was some guys from church came over with sledgehammers and start smashing the whole thing apart. Where is the respect I tell you? It really put me in a violent mood had it not been laws against harming someone.

These type of altars, while indeed heavy can still be easily removed by having a group of guys carrying it up. It is not like the altar is permanently stuck to the ground.

EDIT: Why are weird symbols popping up in places where I use apostrophes?

That is sad....at the most they should have asked someone who do practice the faith to help relocate the statue.....at least as a sign of respect.

and about your weird symbols.......it is possibly your keyboard. :D

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.