Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Will your computer be able to run Vista? - Minitokyo

Will your computer be able to run Vista?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 51 total items

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

As many of you may know, the next version of Windows, Windows Vista (codenamed "Longhorn"), is scheduled to be released something in fall 2006. Microsoft has noted that Vista has been designed with an eye towards security, and as such Vista will probably include features such as an integrated Windows Defender (currently known as Microsoft Antispyware). The entire graphical interface has been reworked into a sleeker and more sophisticated (or, as some people would say, more OSX-like) interface currently known as Aero.

Therein lies one of the major roadblocks for people considering upgrading to Vista: of all of the new features in Windows Vista, Aero in particular will require some hefty specs in order to run. In particular, Microsoft states that the following are required:

1. A "modern" processor [AMD] [Intel]
2. At least 512 MB of system memory
3. A directX-compatible graphics card that supports the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) [ATI] [nVidia]

I suspect that these specs should not be a problem for many members of the community, as graphics enthusiasts and gamers tend to have systems with cards that can handle more resource-intensive graphics work, but quite a number of people, particularly those with integrated graphics chips, will find themselves left behind, especially because many motherboards with integrated chips fail to include either AGP or PCI-E slots for graphics cards.

For more information on hardware requirements, see the Enterprise Planning Guidelines posted on the Microsoft Technet site: [link]

One more interesting thing to note that generated some degree of buzz a little while back is the fact that Windows Vista will come in something like nine flavors to cater to various types of home users, gamers, business and enterprise users, and users who live in Europe (a "reduced media edition"). Of these many versions, all but the most basic will come in both 32 and 64-bit varieties.

So, will your computer be able to run Vista as is, and if so, will you make the switch?

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Yea, I fail all their requirements except for the graphics card, which is the lower end of the required ones too. I guess it's time to upgrade, but it won't be because of a new OS.

I'm fine with X P, and haven't had any problems with it. Until something major happens, then I'll consider switching.

I'd like to see a screenshot of how the desktop and stuff will look. Couldn't find one on the MS site.

Signature Image

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

this pc has just 512mb ram and a 128mb graphic card (Nvidia Geforce FX 5200)

while it may just run, i wont be upgrading, id rather get a new pc specially built for it

Signature Image

Can't run it, don't want to run it. It seems to me that the single biggest difference between XP and Longhorn is that Longhorn has extra DRM to ensure that your computer is less useful. Not to mention that having any brand of Windows is getting less and less useful as WINE develops.

My X2 rig shouldn't have much trouble running it, though I'm not so sure about my other PIII 1GHz rig (which I have no intention of replacing/upgrading).

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Yeah my rig will smoke it! With a little over 2Gb of DDR ram, two GeForce 6600gs vid cards and nforce 4 moboard it can handle anything Microsoft slings at me! I might get a AMD Athlon 64 FX 3400+ processor just for kicks!

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

mitchell

mitchell

Dragonfly789

i meet all the requirements lol....i dunno about switching though....i probably will..ill just wait till there is a service pack released for it because no doubt it will be full of errors like windows xP was.

Signature

Anime Currently Watching:- Haruhi Suzumiya - Dragonball Z - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Games Currently Playing:- Final Fantasy IX/XIII - Star Ocean The Last Hope - Oblivion GOTY

need to upgrade my video card. but everything else is good.

i never upgrade to ms products as they're released, so after a couple of months i'll think about upgrading.

Yea, my system meets the requirements too.
As for those requirements I wouldn't really trust them too much because
Vista is still a long way to go and these requirements can change at any time.

And the GPU is a bit confusing.

*info might not be correct*

-Some sites say vista is bulit on DX9 while others say it's on DX10
-DX10 gpu are not backwards compatible.
-Games that want to run on a DX10 cards needs to be written in API
Most of the games not written in API (I think)
-Newer features will require a DX10 card.

I probably get their next OS, the one after Vista.
Vienna

Once I find the right info I'll update it.

Signature

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

My computer will be able to run it but I have no need to do so right now. I don't switch until an OS has proven itself worthy of the money necessary to purchase it. As far as I know it could be as horrible of a flop as Windows ME was, and I'll be damned if I end up with something that bad running my system.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

My computer should handle it as i just upgraded. Though I think we are all speaking under the assumption vista will ever be released (*ha ha). And as shoujoboy has said above me, this os could be the new ME.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

My computer can handle it, however, I will probably have a new one built by the time I get it.

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I have a celeron processor, so I wonder if it would run it. Other than that I mean everything I have would suffice I believe. It's a Dell Dimension 2400 with 2.4ghz celeron, 1gig of ram, only a 40gig hd, and a 256mb ATI Radeon PCI graphics card. Funny this little thing cost me $400 and I think it kicks ass...I suppose the only REAL reason I would upgrade is when this becomes obsolete and I get a new one.

So, hehe, to answer your question no, I do not believe I will purchase an upgrade. I will buy a new computer with it pre-installed when the time comes.

My computer can make it and I also would make the switch cause I hate the old windows systems.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Generally what I have heard is if you PC is able to run Windows X.P it will also be able to run Windows Vista. Now the difference is in order to fully use all the features and interface in Vista your computer has to meet some minimum requirements. It is highly possible any current generation DX9 video card that can do PS v3.0 is all that will be required. I think I recall one site saying that DX10 will be for Vista only, and DX9 support will remain in Windows X.P, and since Microsoft is not planning on dropping X.P support till 2011 it is reasonably safe to assume DX10 will not introduce anything that drastic as far as features go over DX9. DX10 might only be something that requires a different minimum of hardware support to function then DX9. I would guess that it is reasonable to assume my Geforce 6800 Ultra / 256 MB card will be able to run Vista with all the extra options turned all the way up. My Athlon X.P CPU @ 2.4 GHz on the other hand might slow Vista down a bit, and 1 GB of RAM might work but 2 GB would probably be better. I am planning on upgrading my PC to a multicore CPU, probably a few months after Vista becomes available to allow them to get all the show stopping bugs out before I switch from X.P Professional.

The thing to keep in mind is I saw a website recently where someone got Windows X.P to run on an original Pentium processor running at a mere 20 MHz with only 18 MB of RAM. So it is pretty safe to say if you are able to surf the internet and post in an online forum like this, your PC will be able to run Windows Vista, even if you have the worst of the onboard intel video decelerators and only 128 MB of system ram. It may not run Vista well but it will be able to run some of the flavors of Vista for sure.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I have 512mb of memory as well as a 256mb graphics card. I also have DirectX 9 installed which is enhancing the graphics of my system. Vista should run efficiently when considering those three prerequisites. All I currently have are the transformation packs to give my system the feel of Windows Vista. However, if push comes to shove and my computer can't handle the extra pressure, in the future, I'll purchase a more up-to-date computer.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Well I fail on 2 out of the 3 items as I do have a intel celeron D processor but I only have half the required memory and a incompatable graphics chip (but I do have an AGP 4x solt on my motherboard) but then I doubt I'd upgrade to vista as everything I have at the moment won't work and I'll have to end up getting new drivers for all my equipment (DVD-ROM, Printer and external media)

scrapstyle

scrapstyle

Look! Behind You!

Pentium M / 768 MB / 60 GB / 32 MB Mobility Radeon

Vista will run on my laptop, but the choking point will be the video. I can tone down the effects and tweak the OS to death to get as much performance as possible like I do now with X P. The only upgrade left to do is to up the system RAM to 1 GB. Buying a new laptop or desktop will occur in the far far far future.

With Vista using the GPU, I'm a little concerned with battery life. I'll definetely turn off glass if my battery life is shortened by 30 min or more.

M$ has a very dark secret about vista.
Do you know what does Vista stand for?

It stands for...
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9018/vistahumor9ac.jpg

lol, just kidding

Ohh bTW: about the DX9 and DX10 issue, the issues is still
not clear yet.

Signature

lol, I just think microsoft is trying too hard to make their os secure, and not thinking about the other stuff enough. As for switching I mostly won't since I heard linux is making a break through : D.

omarb6

omarb6

Zero-G

i think my computer will be able to run Vista. but i wonder how much will it cost? anyone have any idea how much the new OS will cost.?

Signature

BiNumber3

BiNumber3

The 3rd one, tween the 2nd n 4th

i just want it cuz x64 is rather crappy so far, it was suppose to be better than regular XP but i've already run into many things that unacceptably subpar

Hopefully, MS will be able to streamline Vista in a way that there will be no compatability issues with 32-bit programs n 64-bit processors

Kids these days... taking love too seriously, shouldn't be worryin about love til they're at LEAST 11 years old

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Of course it will because I'm using:
-Intel pentium 4 processor Xtreme, 3.4 Ghz, 2MB cache L2, dual core and HT (it includes ET64 technolgy, and disablebit technology.
-I've got 1536 MB's in RAM, DDR2.
-400 GB's in my HDD.
-I have an ATI graphic accelerator with 256 MB's DDR and 128 bits arquitecture. But as I read in the ATi.com article, it supports Vista with no problems.
I'm ready fot he coming OS.

merged: 02-14-2006 ~ 09:52am
By the way, Linux does already require most resources in it's latest versions.

merged: 02-14-2006 ~ 09:53am

merged: 02-14-2006 ~ 09:54am

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

tanteikun

tanteikun

Kawaikunai!

My computer rocks, well, should run Longhorn smoothly.
By the way, is longhorn the codename or vista?
1gb/GF 6600gt/p4 2.8
I probably would switch

Signature
Shinjutsu wa Itsumo Hitotsu

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 51 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.