Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 why you like anime when above 20(age) - Minitokyo

why you like anime when above 20(age)

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

I'd say basically it's just whatever strikes your fancy. I'll be 26 in April and I like anime for pretty much the same reasons most people probably do- some great animation, some great humor/action, and more room for creative storylines than you have with a lot of live action movies. Oh, and I have a fascination for anything Japanese.

As far as parents: I had an interesting experience when my parents visited my apartment in Germany and I had about 7 anime wallscrolls up. They gave me some funny looks, but later my stepmom admitted to liking a couple of them. So, hmm. (She denounced the rest as "childish" -well, sorry!)

I say just stick to your guns if you have that issue- hey, once you turn 18 and move out, they have absolutely no legal say whatsoever.
:pacman:

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

I just turned 20 and I still prefer Anime over american television.

Because the Japanese treat animation simply as another form of entertainment (rather than a kiddy show as steriotyped here in the U.S.), they aren't restricted by cultural bounds as to where animation could go. Thus, lower effects budget...

And as a whole, I find anime much more interesting than anything out on the U.S. entertainment industry as a whole. It might have something to do with my frustrations about the vanity of actors, but I feel a stronger connection to anime in a way because it wasn't made to fuel someone's ego.

Anime tells stories, and they tell them well. This isn't always the case, obviously, but I hold more anime in high reguards than I do with anything produced by the U.S. Entertainment industry (TV, Holleywood, etx)

Another thing, with real actors it's not unusual to have them associated with a past performance. For example the actor who plays Frasier, you can't really think of him as being someone else. Another time was when the guy who played Agent Smith from the Matrix was in Lord of the Rings as a good guy... whenever he was on screen I kept thinking about the Matrix. It detracts from the enjoyment. Since anime only relies on voice acting, it's much rarer for this to happen. Especially if you don't speak Japanese :D

Quote by snowrabbiti didnt watch anime when i was younger. my passion for anime starts when i was 18..
so its like i'm making up for my childhood which should be spent on watching anime and cartoons..

by the way, my childhood was spent on books~

Like snowrabbit, I didn't get hooked on anime until I got to college, although I did see some Miyazakis when I was younger...I also spent most of my childhood reading

Saying anime is limited to people under 20 is like saying books should only be read by children. Unlike the majority of Western cartoons, anime (and books) covers a wide range of characters, plots, themes, and ideas. While there are certainly some anime series directed at children, most of the series I have seen are definitely meant for an older audience, if not an extremely mature audience...and I do not mean only because of higher violence/sex content.
For example, one of the series I recently watched, Honey and Clover, describes the feelings and experiences of a group of graduating art college students...something that I could clearly identify with and something I would argue is definitely not for children. Another series, Kino no Tabi, actually felt like a college philosophy course because it really faced headon a lot of serious life issues

Judging anime on the basis of its art style is missing the entire point...and is a common mistake made by those who don't really understand it. Anime is not the equivalent of saturday morning cartoons...like books, anime shows can be both entertaining and meaningful...the variety of types means there's something for anyone who is interested (you just have to ignore (or try to educate :D ) the detractors :) )

Quote by cyd84

Quote by snowrabbit
Saying anime is limited to people under 20 is like saying books should only be read by children.

That is a good analogy, I'm going to remember that one for the next time the subject comes up with one of my non-anime loving friends!

I'm...23 and I all always deeply love Anime simply because it saved my like once and that is reason enough to love it forever. That and because it is just done so well and I just love it so much wooo hooo!

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

Anime is for all ages I think. I'm in the above 20 category and I love it! I can't imagine my life without it. Everyone needs a little entertainment here and there...and this one is definitely mine for life.

NoirTrue

NoirTrue

The Soldats are in the shadows

21 right now and have been watching anime since I was 12 or 13 and I enjoy the action,characters and story thats why I still watch anime today and I dont think I'll stop anytime soon

Stupid adult that doesn't know how to grow up--Naota

I´m 23 and I´ve liked anime for quite some time now, I belive age has nothing to do with it, anime is a form of art, not just cheap entertainment, it can teach us valuable lessons about life sometimes and we anime watchers are usually more mature than people watching regular TV stuff which is usually crap

i dont think that anime is connected with age.
it doesnt matter if we already old and still like anime because anime is not all for children but also have the stage from child until grownups story.
from 8 years old until i'm 28 now, my love to anime does'nt change at all and it not will be.
i dont care if someone mock me because of this, because i truly love anime from the way i am. that's my opinion.

Once I get older than 20, I'm pretty sure that I'll still like anime. It just depends on the anime itself if it's good. But one thing is certain for me... my time watching anime will definitely decrease due to work and other "adult" matters.

X10a-Fr33dom

X10a-Fr33dom

ZGMF-X10a Freedom

Just like what everybody has been saying. Anime has nothing to with age. People watch anime for fun and the thrill of it like a regular movie. Not all Anime are just for kids. I'm 20 and about to turn 21 this year, but I will always love anime no matter what anybody says about it. I watch anime because its fun, there's action in it, and love story, and other things that interest me. Sometimes it even teaches some handy stuff. That's just people's interest that's all like reading a book, or a hobby.

G eneration U nsubdued N uclear
D rive A ssault M odule

Shinku-sama

*Toxic Waist*

i'm 20 (i'll be 21 this May, wo0t!) and my devotion to anime and manga has been going strong since i was about 12 or 13. i think that here in the US, we tend to think 'of that's kids' stuff" when we think of animation, so most animated stuff produced here is very kid-oriented. with anime, it's very different. i love anime because it's artistcally beautiful, the storylines are complex and interesting, and i love all those pretty bishounen...

i don't know how to explain why i still love anime and manga after becoming an 'adult,' but i do know that i don't care what anyone else thinks about me for being so into to. they're welcome to their opinions, but they better not get between me and my anime, lol^.^

In case of emergency, break glass. Scream. Bleed to death.

I'm already 18 years old and I don't think that you need a certian age to watch anime, cause it depends more on how you see things than on how mature you are. The anime culture in my country chile is getting stronger and stronger thanks to the internet and computers, and the local channels are realaising that the anime is the future of entretaiment fot young ones. So thanks to that I think that our generation will continue watching anime even above 20.

Signature Image

And some of our friends dear to say! I JUST DON'T LIKE THE DRAWINGS, or OH MAN THAT'S ALWAYS THE SAME THING, ROBOTS KILLING EACH OTHER SAVING THE WORLD... the true art of anime, the good ones of course, besides the perfect way to draw emotions it's the stories.... I don't really care about the sad endings (someone important, even the main character dies) sometimes that makes the story even more interesting!
I'm from Cuba, here we don't have any anime TV series, and anime stores (i don't know if there even exist, but!).. and believe me there are thousands of people who shared downloaded anime and manga... i'm sure that if we can access someday to a TV that shows any anime serie there will be more people that likes anime!

salu2

I'm nearly 19 and my love for anime only grows with age, it seems. The only difference is my knowledge of it and my changing tastes/sophistication.

The quality of animation you can find in modern anime is also so much better than most cartoons I have seen from the West, you can really notice the difference. Some anime series have really stunning special effects and scenes, you would never get that in a Western cartoon.

Most anime isnt intended for kids. There are alot of anime my daughter will never get to watch because its to bloody, too much nudity, etc. As someone well over 20 I watch anime because it catches my attention and draws me into the story. It makes me laugh, cry, and get angry. Anime is alot of fun!

It's this simple, then:

Anime is a medium, not a genre. Just as there's a difference between live action and radio drama, Anime is another form of visual entertainment. It's another means to an end.

Of course, american bias points towards anything drawn as being a children's program, but this is changing.

Well, I'm 20 now but since I still consider myself as a kid in heart it's nothing big for me, and of course I try to spread this love for anime among my friends with more or less succes. My parents sometime question me but since mom started watching Inuyasha it's not a problem :D .

toonmaker

toonmaker

Nani mono ka? Namae nanka...

I am not twenty yet but I am closing to them! ^_^'
Well I think age doesnt matter! It's like seeing a movie series but you like the art maybe the voice casts and the whole senario!
I know a person (old man) which he is 60 years old and he still plays CALL OF DUTY! It's abnormall but it ain't matter sometimes he comes with his friends and play all together!
Well when you have free time and nothing to do why not start seeing a new series of an anime? I mean the students of university always find free time! And if they like the cartoon art they see em with no problem at all!

well i'm over 20 and still like anime very much. there's so much about anime that you don't want to let go.

Nubes

Nubes

Blah blah blah!!!

I'm agree with all most of the post... i dont think anime liking should be attach at ur age...

I think that some pple just like the neutral position of japaneses or chineses, their subject, their plot, the characters development... All, is all a mingle thing that make u want to see more and more...

i dont think is matter of age, if u're adult or young.... My cousin is 30 and he is a maniac about anime...

beside, in addition, to see Anime allows you to percieve some problematics and that kind of things.

I believe that it is good as it is.

I like anime for no particular reason, well there is. I enjoy the character design in the anime, plus the foolishness that drama or movies can perform. That is what makes anime special to me.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.