Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 World Views On America - Minitokyo

World Views On America

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

I had a look and couldn't find this issue and i can understand why no one would start it. I'm an Australian and this is something thats been annoying me for a while and i'll probably be flamed for even talking about it but i want to raise the question of the world views on america as a culture and as a people (in general).

Constantly you hear the stories of the patheticness of suing in America, a recent one i read is that another Aussie went to texas i think. While they were there they were in a movie, someone had their mobile go off and started talking on it in the middle of the movie. This Australian put their hand on the persons shoulder and asked them to hush while the stodd up, screamed out that she was being assaulted and left, then she sued her for the assault. I know stupid things happen all around the world but simply, America seems to be the epicenter of stupidity.

Maybe this is just the way the media presents everything to the world, so i welcome you to voice your opinion if you are an America, however at the same time be honest and say if you think America is the biggest country in the world and should reign supreme, as bush seems to think they should.

I'm not sure if people will be offended by this but being an Australian i don't take most issues as seriously as other people seem to and no matter what it looks like i'm saying, there really isn't any harsh racism in my words and i mean absolutely NO OFFENCE. For example when i say me and nearly everyone i know doesn't like America (including friends from england, vietnam, china, sweden) i don't mean they should burn and be destroyed, simply mean they should change their outlook.

To make it understandable why i think this way i'll outline some simple things about Americans as their seen (maybe not as they are). A great amount seem to own guns and believe this is for self defence (a gun is a killing weapon, not a submissive one). Americans love to sue for anything and everything, no matter how bloody stupid. To all Australians I remind you of the movie "The Castle" (an australian movie) and "The law of bloody common sense".

I could rant and rant about how and why but the reason i made this thread was to hear what other people from around the world think, as well as what Americans think about themselves.

Again i stress that i realise how racist this may sound BUT IT ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE. This is a serious question.....

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Darkshadow21

Darkshadow21

Rare Visitor

Guess what? I'm an American. Guess what else? You're 100% right. Americans are stupid, they sue too much, and they're too conservative. I personally believe they think they should have guns because other people have guns, and could easily kill/rape them with a gun. However, I personally do not have one. You need a liscence to own one, and without a liscence, you are not even allowed to even carry a knife with a blade more than 3 inches long. Oh, and would another reason your friends don't like Americans have anything to do with somebody known as "George W. Bush"?

Feh. This color is my personality. It makes me different from everyone else. Love and revel it.

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

This is why i point out that i don't mean to offend, there are still a lot of good people in America, such as yourself who aren't heard from, there just seems to be even more that are the opposite.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Darkshadow21

Darkshadow21

Rare Visitor

You're not offending me. I actually find it a bit humorous. BTW, what other things haven�t you mentioned about Americans? I'm curious.

Feh. This color is my personality. It makes me different from everyone else. Love and revel it.

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

yes yes yes good ol' george. y would ppl be so stupid to elect him as a president. i mean all he does is lie and make excuses to create war, he make one mistakes after another and ppl still elect him as president -.-
and iono if its just me, most of the the americans (i didnt say all) i see on the internet are so self centred and arrogant, they do not know how to respect ppl, is it because they think they belong to the "most" powerful country in the world?

--o'.'---o

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

As vode said, it always comes across to me that Americans think their superior yet they don't seem to know much about the world. My friend (aussie) went over there to see some relatives (who married into the country) and he had actually convinced some people that we in Australia we were using wood powered microwaves. (seriously......wtf is a wood powered microwave). Another friend (indonesian) was going to canada to see some relatives and they travelled through america and she commented strongly on the way the way most people acted so self-centered (not sure where she was at the time).

Another funny both friends commented on and that is thrown through the media constantly is the ideas of "Supersize Me". They were overwhelmed with the size of meals in most places.

Thats a small example but they're inumerous. A funny one i love (maybe not the best example but i'll include it for it's hilarity) if you've seen the video where one guy asks where should america invade next. People on the street where happily saying america should invade one country after another, then when they were asked to point the countries out on a world map (which had names jumbled), there was hilarity. One guy put a flag on Australia cause it said north korea on it. Maybe i'm being ignorant now but i just assumed that it was a basic education and knowledge to be able to identify most countries, and then he commented on south korea being large.....the antartic ocean does not look like south korea.

Another thing that worries me is the way the culture is portrayed through something like MTV where inumerous music videos are comming along with the rappers and similar thing encouraging the idea of guns and random sex. Again it happens everywhere but America seems to hold the spotlight.

I'ld like to say blame it on the media and almost can, except friends also back it up. There doesn't seem to be many places where the "REAL" image is being channeled, so there's not much else to believe?

Darkshadow21

Darkshadow21

Rare Visitor

Those who actually like Bush believe: A) he is putting more money in their pockets, B) He is a Republican Christian, and thus cares about values, C) Kerry was too stupid and indecisive, or D) they're just stupid in general. That's what I can gather from lurking around in forums. I don't actually pay much attention to politics, but my dad hates Bush, and while I am under his roof(and too young to vote) I pretty much represent his opinion.

I have also heard that Bush totally wreaked foreign relations, which is why I am not surprised to see a thread like this. :\ XD

And I don't know about the other Americans you've met, it could be that they're just assholes in general. Or you could be right, they could be elitist and believe that America is the best contry in the world. Which I think is truly ignorant, because it isn't.

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

i really dont see y darkshadow hates american (looks like it) when she is american its kinda weird as if she dont wants to be an american and sry if i kinda offend u in any way

--o'.'---o

having guns is stupid i reckon, if u have one ur gonna use it..
ROFL WOOD POWERED MICROWAVES, also funny how people expect kangaroos to be jumping around the streets...and once my friends dad came back from america and had a conversation to a guy over there something like this :
"where you from?"
"Australia"
"oh! is that a place in africa?"
sure some of them are ignorant, but most of them are fine, from michael moores books, i also see george bush a complete retard

aiya.

Darkshadow21

Darkshadow21

Rare Visitor

So far a lot of what you pointed out is true though. Bush is an idiot, people sue way to much, the censorship laws are kind of strict, and quite a few people are ignorant. I'm not saying all of them, because I know plenty of intelligent people(including most of my friends) that would never act that way, but I am not surprised that they exist.

One of the good things about this country is my right under the constitution to critique it like I am doing now. And I also have a constitutional right to hate the president. I don't hate the country itself, I just find that many of the things you say are true, and I'm agreeing with you guys. I was actually trying to contradict the gun point though.

(im not refeing to all americans, srry if i did at any point)
The guns thing is just a bi-product of mankinds inability to rust on another. In fact it makes it worse since now you cant rust them casue they have a gun.
It really is dperessing to see how mnay americans really dont know basic geography... i mean, the middle east has always been in korea no? and for everyone who doesnt know, Iraq's new spelling is Irek. Its just the little things that really get to me.
Patriotism is all well and good, standing up for your national anthem, stuff like that. But when your mind span only reaches to the boarders of the country, it gets eidiculous. I mean, there are those who think Mexico is north of america.. (yes, yes its all relative about where you stand).
Everyone days GWbush is a really crappy president, and yet he's still in office... again...(im in no way for or against him)doesnt that jsut say something? Then again when you look at the statistics, the (not sure of number) lowest IQ states all voted for Bush. You have to admit, he knows how to get votes.
Cheers

Signature

Darkshadow21

Darkshadow21

Rare Visitor

I remember that one of my friends never knew that Egypt was in Africa, so I can totally see where you guys are coming from. However, I blame it on bad education, not idiocy in general. :D

i could careless lol.........but yeah i see what' youre getting at darkshadow =D

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

if u couldnt careless y u bother posting here

--o'.'---o

One of the most striking opinions on America that I've seen, was in a survey about what the world thinks about America, 50% of South Koreans named it as the greatest threat to world peace, with only 25% naming North Korea (and 25% various other options).

I don't think the post is offensive. In fact it's rather humorous in a sad way, if that makes any sense. I mean, do people in america really sue over something as stupid as that? Then again, the media might be exaggerating things too. In this day and age, I really cannot believe what the media says 100%

One error people around the globe often commit is seing the U.S.A as a monolithic entity. I do not believe there is much in common between people living in Minnessotta, people living in New Jersey and people living in Alaska. Some aspects of the American culture seem at best questionnable to the rest of the world, but mostly it is the current foreign policy of the U.S which raise suspicion. More importantly, this policy spreads dissent between the developped countries and fosters fanatics of all stripes in their hate.
The U.S governement positioning itself as the sole defenser of anything "good" or "right" really grates on the nerves of just about averybody.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

The bashing of Bush and the US continues......

............funny thing is half of the people doing the bashing rather enjoy the life of an American. However they haven't found their group to belong in so this is the results.

This one thread isn't offensive.

Add it to the 15 other anti-US threads.............now it is offensive.

So, Minitoyko have to have at least one anti-US thread a month? There is a search function here, right? :angry:

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Traize

Traize

Design Student

I wouldn't say its an anti-US thread mate, I think they're actually just looking for informed debate on the world's perception of America, which should be very important to Americans.

Now the UK media is a mixed bag with the US, half the time they don't care & half the time they're edging around being anti-American.

Myself I have made a fair few American friends though xbox live & various other internet-y things & obviously, as they're friends, they're fine. However I have run into many, many more idiots & I think the reason for this is simple.

America is a huge country & it is not easy to travel outside of for many people, add to this that the education system seems, to me & many other people, somewhat, strange (I'm not entirely sure on how it works, but I have read several times of how certain states do not teach evolution & sex-ed). I mean, in many cases this is going to develop a slightly stunted world view for some people, not everyone, because not everyone is exposed to that education, I know for a fact there is a good percentage of Americans with a great education & global awareness, but when even some University Geography students manage to place Iraq in Europe (as reported by an American Proffesor), I think you might agree that some changes could do people good.

I don't have a particular issue with Bush, just as I don't have an issue with the president or Iran or France etc, they're just figureheads & in the end, do not represent the people 100%, my problem is entirely with Tony Blair.

The thing is, America is huge & like any country, has its collection of idiots. Its just a hell of a lot bigger than most countries, so even though on ratio it may be equal to everywhere else, there are a lot more idiots running around than in other countries, & as we all know, thats the kind of story that gets posted, not "Intelligent New Yorker excuses man for bumping into him, no court case." etc

Signature
Dick Van Dyke is my Chuck Norris

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

Well, I'm an American and I actually hate my government and its current policies. However, I also understand that my government is an out-growth of the profound stupidity of my fellow Americans. Most (being more than half) of the people in America are profoundly ignorant of our dependency on outside resources. Let me lightly touch on a few issues...

I guess you have to start at the bottom of the education system here. It is very poor in quality if not necessarily in financial areas. It has been contructed and implemented in a way to focus on America and America's interests. Students learn English. The only world history offered is exactly that: history. Science classes only mention foriegn inventions of the past. It is a complex system of indoctrination where the glories and accomplishments of the past are that are covered. Outside (as in outside the country) events are just tossed out in passing.

The other major problem is religion... Now I'm not saying this to pick a fight or show disrespect. I'm saying because is it literately a problem. I know way too many people who choose friends and leaders by their religion rather than their qualifications. Bush is Christian; so, he can't be wrong to these people. Their minds are just on autopilot once you layout the religion card. That of course is an outgrowth of religious indoctrination... but I won't go into that. This by the way is the direct reason why evolution and sex-ed are not taught in all schools or to all students.

The best thing to remember about America though is that is not a country. It is more like a conglomerate of business interests arguing at the conference table. I don't know if this side of America is just not shown outside of the country or if implications of this are just not seen. American's don't agree. We don't like each other. We all have our own personal desires on an immediate and a political scale. Do you know why Bush starts wars and gets in fights? It is really simple. It is too provide an outside force to blame for his problems. He can keep "the people" happy by providing them with an enemy to trounce and he can keep his cronies happy by providing outside areas to do business in.

By the way, I'm biased because I live in the South as opposed to the North. I can explain, but I don't think it is particularly relevant to the discussion.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

Maybe it isn't relevant, but it would help to explain your point of view, which might not be so bad, as I fear you'll get blasted for that by some of the people who feel any criticism of America is the same as being a spoilt brat who hates their country because its cool.

So I say go for it, explain, it helps us all understand better.

As for the religion issue, I didn't want to delve too deeply into it, but yes, that is as far as I can see a major problem, as no religion should dictate the policies of a country, especially not a country as big as America, because not everyone in that country subscribes to that religion & as such the laws are innapropriate to them.

For instance, I've seen a lot of people on here post about how wrong abortion is etc etc, well just because a religion says its wrong, should the people who don't follow that religion have to go without abortion? What about rape victims?

Unfortunately, most countries, even European countries like the UK & France are built on Christian beliefs, & as such, this kind of situation does occur, though from an outside persepective it would seem as if America would do well to keep religion out of law & education.

But hey, what do I know, I'm a spiritual aetheist after all.

Signature

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by vodei really dont see y darkshadow hates american (looks like it) when she is american its kinda weird as if she dont wants to be an american and sry if i kinda offend u in any way

It's called fitting in. When you have difficulty joining a group (ie. different style, tastes, etc.) or made an outcast, typicaly they look towards others who feel pretty much the way they do (ie. hating themselves, the world, certain type of people......etc.). Even though they may not exactly believe in their views, they'll "play along", feeling as if they are a part of something. Not a good way to start of finding true friends, thats for sure.

Yeah, she is American......betcha she won't leave. :) Losing that freedom of speech or certain rights doesn't seem appealing for some, hence why they won't leave.

merged: 02-15-2006 ~ 02:04am

Quote by TraizeMaybe it isn't relevant, but it would help to explain your point of view, which might not be so bad, as I fear you'll get blasted for that by some of the people who feel any criticism of America is the same as being a spoilt brat who hates their country because its cool.

Bingo.............. you hit it on the money. If there was a prize involved, I would have sent it. :D

I can admit, sometimes.....SOMETIMES the system and those who run it is pretty screwed up.

SOMETIMES.

However that is life anywhere....and everywhere. It is everyones responsibility to make it better for the next generation. Not bad mouth it and think "I'm starting a trend". In truth, it only makes that person look stupid. I can pretty much guess she doesn't and might not voice her opinion (and you are indeed entitled to that opinion) aloud in a public forum. And not on the internet.

Talk about getting your feelings hurt publicly.....

merged: 02-15-2006 ~ 02:41am

Quote by wolfcoWell, I'm an American and I actually hate my government and its current policies. However, I also understand that my government is an out-growth of the profound stupidity of my fellow Americans. Most (being more than half) of the people in America are profoundly ignorant of our dependency on outside resources. Let me lightly touch on a few issues...

I guess you have to start at the bottom of the education system here. It is very poor in quality if not necessarily in financial areas. It has been contructed and implemented in a way to focus on America and America's interests. Students learn English. The only world history offered is exactly that: history. Science classes only mention foriegn inventions of the past. It is a complex system of indoctrination where the glories and accomplishments of the past are that are covered. Outside (as in outside the country) events are just tossed out in passing.

The other major problem is religion... Now I'm not saying this to pick a fight or show disrespect. I'm saying because is it literately a problem. I know way too many people who choose friends and leaders by their religion rather than their qualifications. Bush is Christian; so, he can't be wrong to these people. Their minds are just on autopilot once you layout the religion card. That of course is an outgrowth of religious indoctrination... but I won't go into that. This by the way is the direct reason why evolution and sex-ed are not taught in all schools or to all students.

The best thing to remember about America though is that is not a country. It is more like a conglomerate of business interests arguing at the conference table. I don't know if this side of America is just not shown outside of the country or if implications of this are just not seen. American's don't agree. We don't like each other. We all have our own personal desires on an immediate and a political scale. Do you know why Bush starts wars and gets in fights? It is really simple. It is too provide an outside force to blame for his problems. He can keep "the people" happy by providing them with an enemy to trounce and he can keep his cronies happy by providing outside areas to do business in.

By the way, I'm biased because I live in the South as opposed to the North. I can explain, but I don't think it is particularly relevant to the discussion.

Wolfco,

I am curious to find out how you came to that conclusion, being biased and all. Especially when it comes to education. I am not only from the North, I was born and partially raised in the Pacific Northwest. That doesn't qualify me as a genious. A lot of southern people (I lived in Alabama for 10 yrs also) may say some weird, funny, and outrageous things, but I didn't know that you can tell the year model of a car by looking at the taillights. Southern people taught me that. Ignorance is the lack of education, and if you rather hang out on the porch and cruise WalMart than to go to school, its your loss. Not the government, nor the society. Yours.

I have some friends living in Alabama still. They all have college degrees. I have none. However, one choose to work in a chicken plant (has a degree in sports medicine), another as a LPN (has a degree in physical therapy) working two jobs, and another as a teacher (has a degree in that profession) All these people could have made a great deal of money and progressed a lot further by moving to a state where the demand for their skills are higher.

Nope they chose to hang out in L.A (lower Alabama). Why? They simply can't leave the nest. As for me I have a NA in Mechanical Drafting and Architechure. NA stands for "not applicable"! I wanted to finish, but I can't eat my books and tuition, so I jump back into the Army. When I return from Germany, I'll finish my degree.........I only have one more year to do.

Now to business......how do you expect to survive in todays society? On charms and good looks? It worked for me for about a year....... ^_^' You either have to keep up, move ahead or get ran over. Or take a side trip and hit the lottery. :D It's about what people want these days. what is the hot item today will be on the clearence rack tomorrow.....I believe you know that. If you designed and patented Windows, or the cell phone, would you complain? Hell no. You have to think of ways to stay ahead of the game.

Complain about it and you have already lost.

You think Corporate America, and bride WalMart is bad? Take a look at Japan! Even with my vast experience and knowlege I would be working in the corner of a basement, providing that they grant me the blessing of simply working for free! Life is tough and there is no free lunch. I am glad I only have 8 more years till I can retire and watch grass grow. If I don't catch a bullet first. >=(

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

You are absolutely right. I should have explained my biases. I've lived in the South the vast majority of my life. I have a degree in Religion and a degree in Anthropology. I love researching what motivates people. Why is the best question in my world.

If you are familiar with American demographics, you will know that America has generalized regions of where certain lifestyles are more common. I live in what is often referred to as the Bible Belt. Certain forms of Christianity are very common in this area. However, it isn't the high prevalence of Christianity that makes this area special. It is the way it is practiced. It is a out-spoken force which judges everyone and requests everything. It requires that you join or be shunned. Obviously not everyone in the South is Christian and not everyone that is Christian agrees in their practice of it. But the quantity and behavior of members is distrubing. They are literately like mobs. They jump to causes as a group rather than considering issues from their own individual experience. This is how certain government officials get elected and stay elected.

*** Just to clarify... I'm not saying religion is bad. I'm saying that the behavior of certain person's of this particular group is ridiculous. I have respect for people who seriously practice their religion. What I don't appreciate is people that replace actual thought with religious dictates. It is my firm opinion that you don't truly believe in something until you question it and find the flaws in it. You have to identify where it came from and why is developed.

As to corporate America, well I don't have a problem with capitalism or big business or what have you unless it is the sort of corrupt big business that give pay-raises to excutives even as it fires lesser employees. I was suggesting is that Bush keeps his well-moneyed friends happy w/ foriegn business opportunities and such. I was also alluding to the fact that America's government is always trying to pull a merger and failing. Its various sects are constantly trying to join forces and get things done. However, they always back away from the conference table before the deal is done because everyone is sure their groups is being cheated.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

Traize

Traize

Design Student

The Bible Belt & general American attitude towards Christianity is utterly baffling to me & probably most of Europe that pays any attention.

By all means practice your religion & believe what you believe, but some of the tripe spouted by the zealous & some of what has happened because of a few over-zealous fruit cakes is quite disturbing.

I don't mean to offend, but from what I have heard & seen from American friends, the Bible belt is somewhere I wouldn't dream of going near, precisely because there are those there that I see as little different to Radical Muslim's.

That of course relates in no way to the average christian American, but I have seen some pretty nutty things on these forums since I've joined, & some of the way in which it pervades education in some places is both fascinating & horrifying.

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.