Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ necessary? - Minitokyo

Was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ necessary?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

For those who believe the Bible and believe that Jesus was the son of God, do you think that it was absolutley necessary for Him to be crucified or would a different form of execution have had the same meaning? Your thoughts and opions welcome please.

SneakyTanuki

SneakyTanuki

All your base are Belong to Me!

Well, as a Catholic, I'd might as well drop in my two cents as objectively as I can.

To begin, I wouldn't necessarily use the wording of your question. It shouldn't really be "was his crucifixion necessary" insomuch as it should be "should crucifixion have been the means Jesus was killed." In the Christian right, Jesus' crucifixion was necessary for our salvation. Anyway, that's not what you wanted to know nor is it a big complication. Anyway! Onto the core!

Yes, Jesus was to be crucified because that was the means of execution the Romans used to kill non-citizens. Jesus was a Nazarean, so the citizen-granted beheading could not be used. Typically when the jews broke Roman law, they were crucified. Romans who broke the law were beheaded. Crucifixion, however, is a much slower and more painful death.

Did it bear any more symbolism than any other means? I wouldn't say so. The only symbolism I could see is that Jesus brought himself to the level of the jews - or the lowest wrung on the hierarchy - and gave himself for us. He could very much have just killed himself or fought back, but his submitance and willingness to give himself for man is the true meaning - sacrifice.

Anyhow, I hope that answered your question - and was somewhat objective :p.

[/my two cents]

So what you are saying is that if Jesus had been hanged for the salvation of man it would have been all right and had the same meaning?

merged: 02-20-2006 ~ 02:25am
So what you are saying is that if Jesus had been hanged for the salvation of man it would have been all right and had the same meaning?

merged: 02-20-2006 ~ 02:25am

Crucifixtion has its own meaning all on its own, as louis said, you wouldnt get that same meaning if he was simpley hanged. In that time, they'd execute people who broke their laws or seemed like a threat to them by crucifixtion.

I understand that crucifixion was the main form of Roman torture and execution, (which also makes me doubt the Shroud of Turin story, but thats another subject totally,) But what makes Christ's crucifixtion so different, so unique, as opposed to be hanged or executed in some other fashion?

Nubes

Nubes

Blah blah blah!!!

Well, LIke I'm atheist, I don't see any meaning of Jesus's Crucifixtion.

Aside of religion, Jesus was only a man with unique ideas, he was a revolutionary. For that reason pple who wrote Bible transformed the man sense and they turned him into a divine man, son of God, although I never understood that of the Holy Trinity thing if all are the same and the same are all. But whatever, pple has their way of believing in things.

I think Jesus was the most wonderful man on Earth and each one of us should learn to appreciate every kind of live and accept it, and try to embrace as Jesus was tryin to do.

No one that is catholic live as Jesus... And I'm not trying to be hostile, but is something that come trhough my mind.

Pple deserves to believe in something, and the transformation of Jesus to man to Divine man has its history, but that's another post.

Take care.

Thanks for your opinion Nubes but if you admire Jesus for the type of man he was and the things he said and did - and if you read his words and what he has to say about being the son of God, and His father in heaven, how can you claim to be an atheist?

DiamondMaX

DiamondMaX

Oh Captain, My Captain

come to think of it probably not. I know its a big thing to all you people who love Christ out there (me included i guess) but it probably wasn't he could've just you know said everybody has sins now too bad.
Also he could've snapped his fingers and all the people who were beatin him bam! zapped with a thousand volts.
But I guess ya gotta pray for something write?
<mumbling>
why do they talk about this on an anime forum? i just went to church GOD

Anime is what makes the world go 'round. : )
Plus Computers and good ol' green backs

It is my understanding that there are different threads posted in different catagories. Not all the catagories have to do with anime...anime is just one of the things we are all interested in on MT. Thanks for posting your opinion though, it is appreciated

soweird

soweird

Adrenaline Rush From Insanity

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ is de crux of de entire Christian faith. Without His death on de cross, He wud have come for nth. His death means de ENTIRE forgiveness of sins from past present future in ur life.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

To Soweird, But did his death HAVE to be on the cross...had he been hanged or executed a different way...would his death still have had the same meaning?

The crusifixion of Jesus Christ was absolutely necessary. No other way could have allowed him to do what he had to do. The death of on the cross was a complete fufillment of every old testiment prophesy. Not only was his body broken for us and blood shed for us, we take communion in rememberance of this, but all the things that had happened to him was symbolic of what completely was done for us. He had over come death for us to give us life. He had taken our sin to pay for our lives so we can join our Father in heaven. He had given his life willingly to be a sacrifice to show an ultimate love that no one else but a pure God with a pure love can show. He had sacrificed himself for humans, God had died for humans so that they can live an eternity of peace and love with him- saving them from death (an eternity of separation from God). We truely should be humble to realize that such a great thing has been done for us. We should be greatful that shuch a great thing has been done for us. God has overcome death for us, he has paid the penalty of our sin against him. Why should we fear if we believe in him? We have the victory if we just believe. This is the greatest gift God has given us. Every one of us.

Thank you UrbanSaint. I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to actually say that His death had to be in that way to fulfill Old Testament prophesies. Had he been executed in another way, it would not have fulfilled the prophecy and he would not be the true Messiah. I believe the OT book of Isaiah, chapter 53, describes most of it. Thanks for contributing.

merged: 02-22-2006 ~ 08:51am
....also, just for the record, had Christ been hanged, His blood would not have been shed, and it is by the shedding of His blood that we are saved. Just as the Old Testament people sacrificed lambs and shed their, (the lambs,) blood, so had to do Christ, the Lamb of God.

i think that the point was that christ had to die, but that it didn't necessarily hav to b by crucifiction.
what i don't really get though is why he had to die at all. like sometimes i feel like god made the system, so why should i be thankful for it if he made it so that he would hav to die? and also, just how well everything was planned kind of. like, there were so many phrophecies of it in the old testament and i always kind of felt like judas was chosen just to betray him, even like he was sort of...set up? but then i feel bad as if i m questioning how much god loves me, like i wonder how i could even think of that...i don't know...i m confused...

Totally, if he wasn't crucified for absolutely no reason other then he wanted to be, then he wouldn't be remembered. If his head was cut off, you would think, "Yeah, so what, that isn't painful". But a crucifiction makes you think "Oh thats painful, I'm going to feel sorry for this guy because he made his death all the more tragic"

With honey and clovers

EarthAngel1

EarthAngel1

Hero's Aren't born their made

No it wasn't Necessary But he's sacficed himself to save us all and if he felt it was worth it then there's no changing what he want to do.

DarkIngram

DarkIngram

Urzu 7

The ransom is Jehovah's greatest gift to mankind. It makes possible our deliverance from sin and death. (Ephesians 1:7) It is the foundation of the hope of everlasting life, whether in heaven or on a paradise earth. (Luke 23:43; John 3:16; 1 Peter 1:4)

The ransom became necessary because of the sin of Adam. By disobeying God, Adam bequeathed to his offspring a legacy of sickness, sorrow, pain, and death. (Genesis 2:17; Romans 8:20) God could not yield to sentiment and simply commute the death sentence. To do so would be to ignore his own law: "The wages sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23) And were Jehovah to invalidate his own standards of justice, then universal chaos and lawlessness would reign! :\

Jehovah's solution was both supremely merciful and profoundly just--one that no human could ever have devised. Yet, it was elegantly simple. It is variously referred to as a purchase, a reconciliation, a redemption, a propitiation, and an atonement. (Psalm 49:8; Daniel 9:24; Galatians 3:13; Colossians 1:20; Hebrews 2:17) But the expression that perhaps best describes matters is the one used by Jesus himself. He said: "The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many."--Matthew 20:28

"In Adam all are dying," said the apostle Paul. (1 Corinthians 15:22) The ransom thus had to involve the death of the exact equal of Adam--a perfect human. (Romans 5:14) No other kind of creature could balance the scales of justice. Only a perfect human, someone not under the Adamic death sentence, could offer "a corresponding ransom"--one corresponding perfectly to Adam. (1 Timothy 2:6) It would not be necessary for untold millions of individual humans to be sacrificed so as to correspond to each descendant of Adam. The apostle Paul explained: "Through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin." (Romans 5:12) And "since death is through a man," God provided for the redemption of mankind "through a man." (1 Corinthians 15:21) How?

Jehovah arranged to have a perfect man voluntarily sacrifice his life. According to Romans 6:23, "the wages sin pays is death." In sacrificing his life, the ransomer would "taste death for every man." In other words, he would pay the wage for Adam's sin. (Hebrews 2:9; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24) This would have profound legal consequences. By nullifying the death sentence upon Adam's obedient offspring, the ransom would cut off the destructive power of sin right at its source. (Romans 5:16)

To illustrate: Imagine that you live in a town where most of the residents are employed at a large factory. You and your neighbors are well paid for your labors and lead comfortable lives. That is, until the day the factory closes its doors. The reason? The factory manager turned corrupt, forcing the business into bankruptcy. Suddenly out of work, you and your neighbors are unable to pay the bills. Marriage mates, children, and creditors suffer because of that one man's corruption. Is there a way out? Yes! A wealthy benefactor decides to intervene. He appreciates the value of the company. He also feels for its many employees and their families. So he arranges to pay off the company's debt and reopen the factory. The cancellation of that one debt brings relief to the many employees and their families and to the creditors. Similarly, the cancellation of Adam's debt benefits untold millions... :)

In his letter to the Colossians, Paul explains that God saw good through Christ to reconcile to Himself all other things by making peace through the blood Jesus shed on the torture stake. Paul also explains that this reconciliation involves two distinct groups of individuals, namely, "the things in the heavens" and "the things upon the earth." (Colossians 1:19, 20; Ephesians 1:10) That first group consists of 144,000 Christians who are given the hope of serving as heavenly priests and ruling as kings over the earth with Christ Jesus. :) (Revelation 5:9, 10; 7:4; 14:1-3) Through them, the benefits of the ransom will gradually be applied to obedient mankind over a period of a thousand years. (1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Revelation 20:6; 21:3, 4)

"The things upon the earth" are those individuals in line to enjoy perfect life in Paradise on earth. Revelation 7:9-17 describes them as "a great crowd" who will survive the coming "great tribulation." But they do not have to wait until then to enjoy the benefits of the ransom. They have already "washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Because they exercise faith in the ransom, they are even now receiving spiritual benefits from that loving provision. They have been declared righteous as God's friends! :D (James 2:23) As a result of Jesus' sacrifice, they can "approach with freeness of speech to the throne of undeserved kindness." (Hebrews 4:14-16) When they err, they receive real forgiveness. (Ephesians 1:7) In spite of being imperfect, they enjoy a cleansed conscience. (Hebrews 9:9; 10:22; 1 Peter 3:21) Being reconciled to God is thus, not some hoped-for development, but a present reality! (2 Corinthians 5:19, 20) During the Millennium, they will gradually "be set free from enslavement to corruption" and will finally "have the glorious freedom of the children of God." (Romans 8:21)

Crucifixion? What crucifixion?!? :)
Just kidding! :D

Wow... OK, so practically anything I was going to say here has already been said. Well, anyone who thinks that people who read manga and watch anime are immature, they should come here XD

Well, there's one more point - I think that nothing in Jesus' life on earth happened by accident... and so, even if we can't understand exactly why it had to be crucifixion, there will be a reason. Personally I think it might be what was mentioned above, that it was the lowest and most painful death the Roman Empire could arrange, and that was the whole point.

yeah if they didnt have crucifixed him there wont be any meaning for the church to exist... we like the martir i think... but wont want to be one......

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

of course its. he needs to fulfill the 'why' he is being sent among men.

Not sure if this question is necessary, but I think yes. It was part of his destiny, and that was the only cruel punishment they had, I guess. He was willing to accept it and he knew that it would be for the good of all generations. His "death" saved us from a more worse future. Without the crucifixion, where would we be now? Hard to imagine...

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. Its really nice to get the opinions of others on such a difficult question. I guess I like to stir things up a bit when I can. Seriously though, Despite the fact that the Romans main form of execution was crucifiction, It was imperative that Christ be crucified. Christ came to die for our sins. To wash away our sins, His blood had to be shed. Hanging or being stoned to death, would not necessarily accomplished this shedding of blood. Christ was the Lamb of God just as in the Old Testament the hebrews would sacrifice a lamb by shedding its blood as a sacrifce to God. Christ shed His blood as a sacrfice to God for our sins. Lastly, Christ death was prophesied in the Old Testament Book of Isiah, chapter 53. His death had to fulfill the prophecy of the Messiah.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments. It is through the opinions and knowledge of others that we truly learn new things. -Louis

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by SneakyTanukiWell, as a Catholic, I'd might as well drop in my two cents as objectively as I can.

To begin, I wouldn't necessarily use the wording of your question. It shouldn't really be "was his crucifixion necessary" insomuch as it should be "should crucifixion have been the means Jesus was killed." In the Christian right, Jesus' crucifixion was necessary for our salvation. Anyway, that's not what you wanted to know nor is it a big complication. Anyway! Onto the core!

Yes, Jesus was to be crucified because that was the means of execution the Romans used to kill non-citizens. Jesus was a Nazarean, so the citizen-granted beheading could not be used. Typically when the jews broke Roman law, they were crucified. Romans who broke the law were beheaded. Crucifixion, however, is a much slower and more painful death.

Did it bear any more symbolism than any other means? I wouldn't say so. The only symbolism I could see is that Jesus brought himself to the level of the jews - or the lowest wrung on the hierarchy - and gave himself for us. He could very much have just killed himself or fought back, but his submitance and willingness to give himself for man is the true meaning - sacrifice.

Anyhow, I hope that answered your question - and was somewhat objective :p.

[/my two cents]

The crucifixion was consistent with prophesy. When the Romans pierced Jesus' heart with a spear, both blood and water flowed. (Also, Jesus' legs were not broken, which was typically the case before people were removed from the cross. ...This was also foretold.)

It was also necessary for the innocent man to stand trial before the whole world. ...Publically denounced. ...Publically slain. He came for all sinners that some might be saved. And... ...When he rose from the tomb, despite the Roman guard placed around the tomb, truly the world, (at least then,) saw proof that Jesus rose from the grave to everlasting life.

The love story surpassing all. He died for those he loved, and in doing so, will spend all forever with those who chose to be with him in paradise.

I too am Catholic, and I am in awe.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.