Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli... - Minitokyo

Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli...

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Tell you what, the more of Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli's films I see, the more blown away I am. I didn't know what to expect after enjoying Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke as much & given that they were the first I had seen; but everything I've seen from Ghibli since has been consistently GREAT. The only problem that's created is which series should I purchase first...particularly when I want them all now.

I finally settled on Spirited Away & Laputa: Castle in the Sky for my first shipment as those two are my runaway favorites. They should be arriving any day now, so I can't wait to tear into those extra's I haven't seen yet -- and to watch the movies again and again over the years. I think Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind will be the next set, but I'm still mulling it over...

Anyone have a similiar problem -- what to get first?

Have a favorite Ghibli film you've wanted to discuss?

Next up on the plate, to watch, is Porco Rosso. Definitely look forward to it.

Most of my friends says that Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is the best Miyazaki movie ever (but still not as good as manga). I have to agree with that, with few exceptions all movies following Nausica are pretty much the same, we've got a boy and a girl and mostly their mission is to save something/someone like the world for example ;) from evil villians and so on and so on and after doing this - confessing their feelings to each other. I know it's a big simplification but that is how I look a t it. As I said earlier there are few exceptions, for example in Totoro we've got two sisters and only one boy, in Howl's Castle we've got grownups (well almost...) and in Porco Rosso we've got a pig but... Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Miyazaki's movies but they are a little bit to... I don't know, predictable ? Miyazaki just seems to lack of original ideas in his movies and I don't think it will change in the future.

Personally Porco Rosso is one of the two Miyazaki's movie wich I couln't finish watching (the other one is Kiki Delivery Service) the idea of a man turned into a aanthropomorphic pig (geez I just realised that the similar idea was used in Spirited Away...) doesn't suit my tastes.

*lol*

Goodness, don't get me started on this. Once I start ranting on how much I love and adore Studio Ghibli's works, you will never get me to stop. ^_^' Let's see if I can keep it reasonably short.

I am unashamedly biased when I say that, despite its age, Nausicaa is the best movie of the lot. Maybe it's got to do with my incorrigible nostalgia because it's the first Miyazaki movie I've ever watched. You can hardly tell that it's such an old movie. The animation is breathtaking, and the flight scenes are simply wonderful.

The same goes for Laputa. If you've watched Nadia, the story line is very similar.

I personally find that Porco Rosso is one of those movies that perfectly blend humor and reaches you so deeply with those deft touches of sheer reality. It feels as though it really /could/ have happened like that. The characters are so amazingly human, especially Porco.

Totoro and Whisper of the Heart are such /warm/ movies. They make you feel quietly content and leave you smiling. They're so ordinary, and yet, it's because of that ordinary feeling that you can relate to them so well.

Grave of the Fireflies... is horribly depressing. Please, do have lots of tissues at the ready and if you're feeling down, do not, under any circumstances, watch it. :(

Princess Mononoke, I've found myself comparing with Nausicaa a lot. I'm not quite sure why, but I really liked it.

Spirited Away is wonderful. As is Howl's Moving Castle. I would so love to write more, but I will never shut up at this rate. ^_^'

WWLAOS

DOMiT

Princess Mononoke is my favorite of the bunch, with Nausicaa coming in a close second. Next would be Totoro and then Grave of the Fireflies...that's a terrific movie. After that would be Laputa: Castle in the Sky and then Kiki's Delivery Service. Spirited Away finishes off the ones I like...pretty much everything else paled in comparison to these. Porco Rosso in particular was, in my opinion, horrendous.

But, it's not really a problem for me. I already own them all. :)

You see this kind of thing all the time...it invariably ends with eating people. - Dr. Dale L. Reuss

Has Myazaki done anything since Spirited Away? I also am a fan of his works. I was amazed that I got to see Sprited Away in a theater. I know that Disney is not going to back what he does, just wanted to know if he has release anything in Japan lately.

I saw Totoro when I was around 8 years old and I can remember that I loved the show and I played Totoro with my friends a lot :D It was fun!

I'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki. Miyazaki is a creative person with enormous imagination! I really honor that man from the bottom of my heart. I've seen Totoro, Mononoke, Spirited away, Kiki, Nausicaa, Laputa, Howl's moving castle and The Cat returns (Not Miyazaki's film though) and they are all great! The best anime MOVIE ever is Mononoke: I love the nature, the story, the characters and the animal gods.

I think the best order to watch Miyazaki's films is to start from the first one and watch Howl's moving castle last.

DID YOU KNOW THAT GHIBLI IS GOING TO PUBLISH A NEW MOVIE IN JULY CALLED "A WIZARD OF THE EARTHSEA"? I look forward to it very much!

merged: 02-21-2006 ~ 07:26pm
After Spirited away Miyazaki has made Howl's moving castle and been a part of The Cat returns movie. This is for codewulf

Marchen awakens romance, Naruto, FMA <3

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

My personal favorite is My neighbor Totoro, partially because that's the first exposure I had to the works of Miyazaki, but also just simply the one that awakens the nostalgic feelings in me. (The "growing up in the scenic countryside" part, at least, and all the wonders that went with it.)

However, I just about like all Miyazaki's work, including Panda go Panda and the music video On your mark.

Wow, glad to see that I'm not the only one here with a deep respect for Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli (not that I should be surprised, really).

Appreciate the detailed comments -- keep 'em coming if you've got them as it's all work worthy of discussion.

Quote: Miyazaki just seems to lack of original ideas in his movies and I don't think it will change in the future.

Granted, I'll definitely view this criticism in light of what you said above about enjoying Miyazaki's stuff for the most part, but I've got to admit that I can't wrap my mind around the idea that Miyazaki somehow lacks "original ideas." Not when, for example, one of the things you end your post with is the artistic merit of an anthropomorphic pig that takes to the skies. In other words, while there is 'formula' in Studio Ghibli's films (though I don't think it's problematic or overtly repetitive) it's the exectution of the characters (sometimes archtypes, sometimes not) and ideas that really takes the cake.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Studio Ghibli is like the Walt Disney of Japan except 100 times better. I'm pretty sure I've watched all of Miyazaki films and most of Studio Ghibli's productions (including that On your mark music vid, which would have made a pretty sweet movie). Loved every single one. My favourite is probably Laputa: Castle in the Sky. I've re-watched that film so many times since the first time I saw it in the early 90's. I hope for the sake of past, present and future anime fans that Studio Ghibli will continue to produce such hugely entertaining movies for the rest of eternity ^_^

Ghibli banzai!

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

natsume44

natsume44

Yamapi Fangirl

Well, since no one has really mentioned it, I have to bring up Howl's Moving Castle. I know it wasn't the best Miyazaki's ever done, but it's still really good. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD this month. I also can't wait for the next Studio Ghibli movie (which is being directed by Miyazaki's son), which is going to be based off of the sci-fi/fantasy Earthsea novels.

Speaking of Howl's Moving Castle, if you have the chance, read the book! The movie was very nice, but the book adds a lot of background and fleshes out the supporting characters very nicely, something that would have been awkward in animation or would not have fit within the time constraints of a movie.

And I want to smack myself for not mentioning the music video On Your Mark! How could I forget? I even had the song stuck in my head for a good long time. ^_^' Anyway, it's very good and the music is awesome.

Oh, and about the upcoming movie, I heard that Miyazaki was (still is?) against his son doing an Earthsea movie. I'm not sure if he was against his son doing the work or the choice of subject for the movie, or a combination of both. T_T Is it true? And if yes, does anyone have more information about it?

Quote: Speaking of Howl's Moving Castle, if you have the chance, read the book! The movie was very nice, but the book adds a lot of background and fleshes out the supporting characters very nicely, something that would have been awkward in animation or would not have fit within the time constraints of a movie.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, and this isn't the first time I've had the book itself reccommended, so it sounds like it'll be worth tracking down.

[Update: Went ahead and purchased the book upon finding a very decently priced copy, new. Look forward to reading it!]

As for the movie, I'm afraid that I simply haven't had the chance to see it yet (like too many other movies). I'll definitely remedy that soon though, thanks to it's imminent release on DVD in the next couple of weeks.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

I'll have to agree with Abisan on the predictability of the works but they are shown in a way so that they are still very enjoyable. Heck on most of Miyazakis films I could just sit and relax watching the art with no sound!

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

He's amazing! I don't care what it looks like or what other people say about it, I'll sit back, grab a can of coke, and watch it. I love EVERYTHING he makes.

Hell, if he decided to make another Sailor Moon movie with real people, I'd probably watch that too and it'd most likely be amazing! >_<

Quote by MnemethHeck on most of Miyazakis films I could just sit and relax watching the art with no sound!

Miyazaki's movies without sound ? No way... music in Ghibli's movies is fantastic and without it they weren't the same anymore.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by Abi-sanMiyazaki's movies without sound ? No way... music in Ghibli's movies is fantastic and without it they weren't the same anymore.

In truth I could go either way. What I meant was that both the art and sound are done well enough to stand alone.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.