Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Submarine anime: Any recommendations? - Minitokyo

Submarine anime: Any recommendations?

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Can anyone recommend some good submarine-themed anime and provide some info on the anime (ie. brief synopsis)?

I've only seen 2 submarine-themed anime and both were OVAs. I've seen Submarine 707r and Blue Sub No.6

I just recently watched a 2 episode OVA called Submarine 707r. It's based on a really old manga from the 1970's by the same name. The animation was pretty impressive and smooth and there was plenty of action. The basic plot was solid (a mysterious organisation called the USR, Undersea Silent Revolution, is waging war with the rest of the world) but having only 2 one-hour episodes, this OVA fails to explain a lot of things. The orign of the USR wasn't explained and there was very very little character development. To be honest, it's more like a taster of the manga than an animated version of the manga, which is a shame because I reckon it would have a pretty entertaining show. I'd still recommend people to watch it though.

Blue Sub No.6 is a pretty well known OVA and was one of the first shows to use CG paired with traditional animation. It looks stunning visually and had a solid story. Definately worth watching.

Anyways any recommendations and info would be much appreciated.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

vaiowega

vaiowega

100% Recyclable

Nadia and the secret of blue water is not what you call a "submarine themed anime but the nautilus has a very important place in it, but it's a bit old. (anyway this anime is really worth watching)

There is a submarine (thuatha de danaan) in the Full Metal Panic series too but it's not a submarine themed anime xD

Zipang is not a submarine themed anime, but the central topic is the japan marine, a very good anime, try google to know moire about it.

Juusen no Lorelei is a new manga published in afternoon, submarine-themed ;) and the film about the same plot, entitled "Lorelei" will be out in Japan on March.

Signature
Administrator of .: Straw-Hat Pirates :.
Member of .: Anime Paradise :. .: Bleach :. .: Force-Firefox :. .: French-Tribu :. .:Ecchi-Club :. .:Fullmetal-Alchemist-Fans:.

Not totally based on a submarine. Tide-Line Blue, description,

The catastrophe, "Hammer of Eden", resulted in the loss of six billion lives and the flooding of 90% of the land. The New United Nations were formed to pursue peace on the ruined lands 14 years later. Keel is a boy living in a town called Yabitsu, an area which prospered due to the energy from the nuclear generator brought by the catastrophe. His next kin, Aoi, is the secretary general of the New United Nations. She views the catastrophe as an opportunity to create a new world in which nations can help one another overcome differences in races and religions. However, her efforts to realise that vision fail because of the unwillingness of the nations to change. Gould, a military officer, feels that the only way to make an order is through the military. Using Ulysses, a nuclear submarine, along with his crew, including Keel's brother Tean, Gould carries out a coup to declare war against the New United Nations in his attack on Yabitsu.

13eps in total.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Not too many submarine based anime but many of the Harlock universe series definitely have a nautical inclination (space is just a different ocean).

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

HB13

HB13

Kaiten Kensai

If you want to stay specifically to submarine-themed anime, then the only one left that you haven't watched is Submarine Super 99.

A submarine search @ anidb.net only gave out Blue Sub #6, 707, 707r, and Super 99.

But if you like the warship or spaceship theme then the field widens a lot more: Last Exile, Full Metal Panic, Vandread, and Macross Zero (and its Macross brethren).

If you're a graphics junkie (hinted by your love of Blue Sub #6), then taking a peek at 5 eps OVA Macross Zero, the Korean movie Wonderful Days (mix of Animation, CG, and real life film), and the movie Appleseed 2004.

Just google them up for some screenshots of the films

"The Way of the Warrior is death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between live and death. It means nothing more than this. It means to see things through, being resolved."
-Yamamoto Tsunenori, Ha Gakure (Hidden Leaves)

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

3 sub theme titles come to mind.

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, mainly because it's based loosely on the 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea. The whole Captian Nemo story is in the back ground.

Blue Sub No. 6 is an obvious one

There is a little known one titled Silent Service, it's submarine is much in the tradition of The Hunt for Red October

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Arcticwarfare

Arcticwarfare

L.i o N H e.a r T

Blue Submarine No. 6 Hmmm the only submarine anime I've actually watched, but I must say its one of my favorites! Its a multi episode movie, but I actually have the "Toonami" version which basically just puts them all together into one feature film. very nice!

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

There is another. The Ship of Aurora from Mars Daybreak. Its a pretty cool anime and great to watch.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

okayillgonow

okayillgonow

Never tolerate oppression...

Quote by MnemethThere is another. The Ship of Aurora from Mars Daybreak. Its a pretty cool anime and great to watch.

Dont forget Submarine 707!

''From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.'' (Karl Marx)

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by HB13But if you like the warship or spaceship theme then the field widens a lot more: Last Exile, Full Metal Panic, Vandread, and Macross Zero (and its Macross brethren).

I would argue that Full Metal Panic! does (at least in part) fall into the submarine genre. While certainly the submarine combat sequences do not really compare to, say, Blue Submarine #6, quite a bit of the series takes place on the Tuatha de Danaan and, as can be expected, quite a number of the battles either involve the "Toy Box" or occur on it.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

BiNumber3

BiNumber3

The 3rd one, tween the 2nd n 4th

Hmm, if your lookin at sub animes for the type of action then Last Exile is definitely a good choice, the ships are pretty much giant air subs:D
many of the animes previously list won't have much ship vs ship action

Oh yea, another good ship vs ship anime is Starship Operators, a short series thats pretty new, it's about a group a students who take over a starshp to fight against an empire. I absolutely loved the action and the characters - though as the title implies it's a space themed anime

But if you're willing to stray from anime into the world of books, i can recommend Voyage of the Devilfish and a few others by the same author, these are incredible if what you're lookin for is sub vs sub warfare

Kids these days... taking love too seriously, shouldn't be worryin about love til they're at LEAST 11 years old

Kaitei Daisensou: Ai no 20.000 Miles

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.