Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Parents vs. Children - A conflict between generations - Minitokyo

Parents vs. Children - A conflict between generations

page 1 of 1 10 total items

I'm sure most of you people here @ MT have gone through the so-called 'conflict between generations' (and maybe you're still going through it now :)) - whether it be with parents, teachers, neighbors, etc. Do you believe that there can be a solution to this conflict, or are we condemned to fight with our elders no matter what - and then, in our turn, to enter conflict with our children? What could be done to make things better?

For me things were always good with my parents even if fights are inevitable. What I find most impportant for ppl to understand when dealing with younger ones is never to use lines like " What do you know about problems. The things you cry over are nothing compared to grounup stuff"
My mom tought me without words to understand that the intensity of things we can endure usually ocure in level with ones age always balanced to what we can handle at that point. Thus no matter what's the age, stress caused by a crush and that caused by other things that happen as you go along in age are felt with the same intensity.
+ I think the younger you are the more frigile you are, makeing the ignoring of these things as "teenage , immature nonsense" a very dangerous thing.

I think that most parents don't take us seriously enough to sit down and talk out differences maturely until much later on in life, by which time it is usually redundant. I know my perents will never understand me as long as they live, and any time I say anything on the topic all I get is a 'what would you know' remark.

It's true that most parents don't take us seriously enough, and it's also true that things can get out of hands when parents repeatedly take teens' problems to be "teenage nonsense" or something like that. My parents think I have no idea about life in general and that I haven't got a clue about what I'm saying when I try to talk to them about politics, economy or other serious topics. That makes me feel useless and dumb... so yeah, that's another cause of this conflict.

SilentNymph, you're lucky... My folks claim to be open-minded when in fact they're narrow-minded as hell... >.<

For me, it's like SilentNymph. We have the occassional fights, but usually it's pretty good. My parents are pretty supportive, though they do have their moments of not understanding us... Like me and my sister are into anime, but my mom mostly sees it as "childish cartoons" sort of things - something that we shouldn't be into and how we need to "grow up" when it comes to that.

I think it depends on the individual, both the young person and the adult. I mean, some adults just rub you the wrong way all the time because of the way they say things or the actual things they say. But some adults aren't like that, more open-minded. Same goes for young people too. If both sides always have a static opinion of "I'm right - you know nothing about me." then it's hard to do anything about it.

I think it's true that generally though, adults tend to look down on the stress of young people's life. I can't say why, but they see our problems as "less important" compared to theirs. Maybe because they've gone through it before (in a way when they were our age) and have "more important" things like all those adulty commitments and stuff... But to say so directly is so... Insensitive. I hope I don't become like that when I grow up ^^;;

Memero

Memero

Hiding in a cardboard box...

Understanding... That is what lacks between certain groups such as different generations. First of all, it is the parent's responsibility to keep his/her offspring safe. That is why they prohibit their children from doing certain stuff, going to certain places... that sort of thing.

The children, on the other hand, will think that this is the parent's way of establishing power over them. Being instinctly competitive we humans are, the children try to compete in the fight for power against their parents by breaking the rules the parents have set up for them. Also, these rules will forbid children to do things they would want, giving children a feeling that they are not getting the most out of their young lives.

As a result, the parents will increase their efforts to keep their children safe, furthering the cycle of misunderstanding between them.

Selfishness plays a crucial role in the making of any conflict, & is usually the root of its escalation.

The frightened will grow pale.
I am but a shadow in the dark,
I never grow pale...

Let's see for the humans race to have prefect peace and that also includes between the generations we would all...have...to...become...the borg. In my eyes and though what I have experienced it will take an act of God to bring everyone together as in Independence Day level. That or if we adapt the world and laws according to the realms dedicated to Xanth. ;)

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

Kabura

Kabura

"The Hedgehog's Dilemma"

I think that make people's mind change is quite difficult... I mean, look it this way... how will people think 20 years from now? maybe we are 20 years more up-dated than our parents, but there will always be people who will think in many different ways from ours!
Anyway, sometimes our parents have so old fashoned thoughts! Thats why we have to be different from them and keep being updated!

Thank you Farewell, My Master.
Signature
"It was nice for a while but it's time to say bye"
Administrator of: Ignore the others! -Nocturnal-MTs Moderator of: Ice-and-Snow Member of: Whatever - Hana Kimi love - BrokenWings-TrinityBlood - GetBackers - MAAC - Petzilla

I think its pretty stupid when parents are controlling or at least they think they know the facts.......-_- i keep telling them things change and not everything is exactly what you pictured......

Everyone has different problems growing up...I mean, the issues we deal with have to freak them out. If they're overprotective, that's understandable.

But back then, they had the civil rights movement, they had the Vietnam War, and they lived in a socially chaotic era in which a lot of people got hurt for expressing themselves. Yes, they can be unreasonable at times, but that's usually a personality tic or a mood issue, not a blanket statement to be applied to all parents.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.