Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 MartialArts: Hollywood vs. Reality - Minitokyo

MartialArts: Hollywood vs. Reality

page 1 of 1 16 total items

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

We've all admire the fight scenes in countless anime, movies, and games like Naruto, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc. Seeing how they kick ass with breath taking stunts and all......Yeah, so the question is which is better in your opinion: Holywood's flashy style of martial arts or the martial arts of reality like the judo competition seen on the Olympics? and why?

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

They both have their place. The wire fu is pretty and can make for great eye candy in the movies. There's a storytelling tradition behind it that goes way back.

All in all though, I prefer reality.

yeah, reality can get pretty ugly. on movies, they seldom show bruises or cuts on the actors faces. but competitve fights like those in the olympics are really boring. teakwondo, judo, karate just involves too much rules. i wonder if muay thai can get a place in the international sports arena...hmm, maybe not.

Itchy

Sharingan Master

Bruce lee = Real

Jet Lee = Hollywood

Signature
When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Quote by ItchyBruce lee = RealJet Lee = Hollywood

That sure smmarizes it all.... :D

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

iN1Ti4LdR1fT3r

iN1Ti4LdR1fT3r

whats an e-brake?

Jet Li earned a medal for martial arts when he was only 8 he aint no hollywood hes forreal much as Bruce Lee

anyways hollywood has more style in it XD

Signature Image

Quote by ItchyBruce lee = Real Jet Lee = Hollywood

not really......since bruce lee was as much hollywood as jet li in his movies. bruce lee is way over glorized imo.

Jet Li is also a 2 time Wu Shu champion. Him and jackie are the real deal they do all the fighting and all there own stunts.

I cant wait for Jet's new movie Danny The dog.

Jet Li was the national chinese champion 6 or 7 years in a row. He's skilled though he's not "real" since the tournaments did not involve combat, just routines (if that's how you define real). He's a nobody now that he's jumped over to Hollywood.

Real combat = UFC. Hong Kong/Chinese fight choreography ownz Hollywood fight choreography.

let me tell you something all the people that work in fight movies in hollywood or where ever have bin traind the no martial me be not the best but the odo know and the most people you see in hollywood moviesthe are real martial artist but not every body knows them around the world and the moves the have to do and al are sepeus to be injojibel by the peole not just real fighting and those peple that work in fight movies there bin traind sins child hud or have bin very much trained for the movie to play in ( like Jet Lee / Bruce lee ) but ther are fake fighters but thats easy tho spot but dont go telling around peole that jet lee is hollywood or i'll wup you ass :P and jackie chan dont mess with him :)

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

The reality is the true way of fighting.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

Arc213

The Ghost of Chivalry

I read all of Bruce Lee's books. He is the real deal, but he admits that the way he fights in the movies would not be the way he fights in real life. I take a form of Kung Fu, and you are capible of being really fast, but in a simplistic way, not a flahy one. You alway want the simplist and easiest way of fighting. Also, in real life, fights would not be so drawn out, as soon as a limb is broken ( which is the first thing I go for in a real fight), the fight is over.

I change for no one. I live to go on being uncompromised.
I am not a dreamer for I live my dreams.

sean392

Life is a Road to Nowhere...

jet li is real
just as real as bruce

Quote by goggles Hong Kong/Chinese fight choreography ownz Hollywood fight choreography.

no offence but i agree ....

Life have taught me, being nice will get you killed
being helpful will get people to take advantage of you
Call me evil, i will do whatever it takes, to bring everyone down to their knees.

Quote by Crapmonsternot really......since bruce lee was as much hollywood as jet li in his movies. bruce lee is way over glorized imo.

That is very true. Bruce Lee was great but man, Jet Li is much faster than him. Do not look at the movie. Search around on what other people have said about Jet'skills and talent. He is also very spiritual compared to Bruce.

Quote by gogglesJet Li was the national chinese champion 6 or 7 years in a row. He's skilled though he's not "real" since the tournaments did not involve combat, just routines (if that's how you define real). He's a nobody now that he's jumped over to Hollywood.

Not sure if he is a Nobody...anyone who had been a Chinese Champ for so many years deserves total respect on that line. And just so you know, traditionally, Chinese martial arts (much like kata) evolves repeating the same movement over and over again. So if you ask me, routine anytimes....

Quote by BateauHim and jackie are the real deal they do all the fighting and all there own stunts.

FYI Jackie is a dancer and a comedian (had never received a true martial arts training other than in the movies, he was raised and educated in the Shanghai Chinese opera)

Quote by Arc213 I take a form of Kung Fu, and you are capible of being really fast, but in a simplistic way, not a flahy one.

Jeet Kun do is really fast and raw as a martial art...So is Filipino Kali...Simplistic compared to Kung Fu in general but really efficient.

Overall, as a martial student and as someone who had been in a couple of competition and had my (unfortunately) extensive shares of street fight, I do understand that the moves in movies are there but the impact has been replaced often by choregraphy. There's nothing pretty about real fights (not competition here)...Beside, if the guy I was fighting would show a gun...I'll forget about the Matrix and run like hell.

As a martial arts practioner...i guess what I see in the movies dosen't strike me as being as real to the truth....sure they look good and all that, but in a real fight, all those flashy moves wastes time and more importantly, stamina...when i was in high school, I got into fights often (yes, I was a problem kid)...I found that martial arts training actually helps...the routines help to set a point for you to realize an opening and utilize it with what you've trained with...the movement comes naturally and should not require much thought...you've trained so many times it becomes instinctive....that said, I still lost some fights and felt like crap for a long time....but then again, that's all part of the learning experince isn't it?

You got it mate, as they said practice makes perfect and by losing fights, I have turned around and thought of what I could have done and what went wrong. It makes you better in the end...Then again, we martial practioners should remember that martial arts are a way to ease and smooth our own selves before just jumping into "easy-pick" fights. Mind you it was always fun to see someone bigger looking at you with a "yeah ok little man" turn into a "the hell was that?". There's no flash moves or amazing kicks in real fights; you move in, block and find an opening...The instinct has already taken over.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.