Caching and saving of gallery images.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Cancel

I am using the latest version of Firefox (1.5.0.1) and adblock is the only notable extension I am using. I've noticed in the last few weeks when I go to download anything on MT, that after the page loads and shows the image, when I right click and save the image it downloads all over again. Even if I right click and save as while it is still downloading, it will download again when it saves it to the disk. I know when you save something in Firefox even if it is cached Firefox will ask the server if whatever it is has changed from the cached version. Normally unless the item you are downloading has changed the server would respond with: HTTP/1.1" 304 - which is a HTTP status code meaning "Not modified". If the MT server was responding with that status code when we right click and save as on a gallery item that Firefox has cached it should just copy the image out of the cache instead of downloading it again. This is also a waste of server bandwidth since every image I save to disk has to download all over again, though at least I am not charged twice the credits for downloading the same thing over again in this situation.

This wouldn't bother me so much if you could download more then one image at a time and if the server transfered faster then 20-40k/sec max. I have checked and rechecked all of my browsers caching settings, the size of the cache is 128 MB which should be more then enough, and the browser is set to only check for new versions after the document expires, and the browser is set to use HTTP 1.1 as it should be.

I decided to run a test by clicking download on a doujinshi, waiting for it to load completely, then closing the download window, and downloading it again. The second time I went to the download, the whole image showed from the cache for a moment, then blanked out and downloaded again. This problem ONLY happens on MT, other sites when I save an image it saves directly out of the cache without downloading again.

Signature Image

• Mar 03, 2006

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Cancel

I noticed that too- it could be a patch to keep people from getting charged credits for corrupted or timed-out downloads. I'm not an admin, that's just my guess.
:pacman:

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

Cancel

Same problem. The pic is here but when I want to save it, it sometimes download it again instead of just saving it.

That's really annoying that I have to download sometimes two times the same picture. I know that most of people have quick connections but I am not in this situation... moreover I have an upload/download limit.

Signature

• Mar 06, 2006

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Cancel

thanks for the notification. this thing appears once in a while. will look into it.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Cancel

Thanks, in the mean time I have used a small work around, when I go to download an image I stop right when the image starts to show on the page, and right click the small portion then save as and it downloads and saves the full image using very little extra bandwidth (or time) from downloading it twice.

Edit: I just went digging around in about:cache in firefox and looked up a wallpaper I downloaded today. Could the items in bold have anything to do with this problem or help you track it down faster?

Code:
key: http://...Azumanga.Daioh_223650.jpg

fetch count: 2

last fetched: 2006-03-15 23:49:48

last modified: 2006-03-15 22:09:46

expires: 1969-12-31 18:00:00

Data size: 225883

file on disk C:\Documents and Settings\...\Cache\BDB3FAA2d01

Security: This document does not have any security info associated with it.

---------------

Client: HTTP

request-method: GET

response-head:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:09:13 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.0-pl1-gentoo with Hardening-Patch
Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=3600, must-revalidate
Pragma: no-cache

content-disposition: inline
Content-Length: 225411
Content-Type: image/jpg

Signature Image

• Mar 16, 2006

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Cancel

The following in in the response headers and suggests that caching is not allowed. Another side effect that is especially annoying is how if you accidentally hit back when typing a post, it is lost forever since the pages always refresh. That seriously discourages writing long posts.

Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache

Signature Image

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Cancel

Interesting. The expiration dates are before the internet was even made public. Well, I'm noting this down, so that if sheqel doesn't see it himself, I'll let him know about it.

Thanks guys.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

• Mar 19, 2006
Cancel

I've had the same problem also, I'd just report that this occurs through all of Firefoxes versions from 1.07 to 1.5 RC3.

I don't remeber if this happens in IE, but I have a feeling that I doesn't because it ignores that expiry date.

• Mar 19, 2006

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Cancel

it should be fixed by now (by the sysadmin)

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Cancel

It looks like it still isn't fixed for me. Everything I download and save is downloaded again as it has been for some time.

[Edit] It looks like it may be working now. I actually saw one get saved without re-downloading.
[Edit 2] Well, I'm seeing a bit of both now, but I don't really download enough to characterize it.

Signature Image

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Cancel

No change, still seems to be doing it to me. I tried clearing my browers cache before downloading something but it had no effect.

Signature Image

• Apr 03, 2006
Cancel

-_- Oh well if this is a Firefox problem, I will try to just use IE when I download something.

I think I have downloaded today approximately 15 wallpapers and 5 were downladed a second time.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

• May 23, 2006
Cancel

Does anyone have the problem of thinking you can't download enought pics? I'm trying to get some good ones for an RP account I have, and it keeps telling me I'm going over! ><;;;

• Jun 11, 2006

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Bug Reports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.