Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Internet Etiquette:Important to You? - Minitokyo

Internet Etiquette:Important to You?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

A funny thing happened on the way to creating this forum...I'd read an article in the paper about "Netequitte", or your etiquitte online; like how one might not bother using commas, semicolons, or even periods to separate one's sentance in one's posts and such. It also extends to all-caps, which means one is "SHOUTING" online, when really, all one is trying to do is emphazize what one is saying(spelling's included, too-which makes me think a 'spell-check' option on this site would be appreciated, or is that just me?). I understand if your English/typing isn't so good, but still, for those of us who can read/write/type fairly well, it never hurts to look over what you're about to post, ne? What I guess I'm trying to ask is if etiquitte on the Internet is important to you?
(If anyone finds a typo in this, please notify me! Some words, I'm sure, are indeed misspelled ^_^'. Yes, I know this doesn't fall under the whole "General Anime & Manga Talk", but I'm still navigating this 'site; Gomen!)

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

I get depressed at how horrible some native English speakers type on the Internet. They don't bother to use proper punctuation and have a bunch of typos. For once, I'd like to see people use "your", "you're", "there", "they're", and "their" correctly...

Signature Image

spinSkittles

spinSkittles

.:or something like that.:

For me, proper grammar and spelling is pretty essential. I mean I'll use casual words like "dunno" or "gunna" whenever I feel like it and when it's appropriate, since I don't wanna be too formal and then look like a hypocrite. Nor am I a perfectionist.

But whenever I see people talk as if they have no education, I can't help but think less of them. If you're past middle-school you should at least try to type/talk correctly. "This isn't English class" doesn't at all justify your laziness to type. -_-
Then there's urban slang (ebonics) on the net, aka bastardizing the English language; in no way does it look or sound decent. It's a cultural thing so I know people can't just magically change their speech, but they could at least try!
I could go on about the problem with people's etiquette, but it's the internet--practically everything is informal so anything goes...

btw Preacher, I did notice a few spelling errors in your post. No worries though, your speech is already above and beyond than what you normally see!

Signature Image

Kelena

Kelena

Pulchritudinous Solitudinarian

I pretty much agree with spinSkittles on this topic. Most people should try their best to use English as best they can. I don't think it's all that hard to do. By doing so, it'll help others to read what they post. I'm not someone who is perfect at English, (even though it is my first language) but I think it's only right that someone talks properly out of respect for the person who reads what they write. It doesn't get to me so much that I'll say something to another person, but I think it's polite to try to be grammatically correct.

I try my best. I fail many times too. -_-

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

now to me, it doesn't matter depending on which forum or whatever I am in.
for example, if I post here, my initial lettering is usually never in caps.
as you can see, I am lazy to press the shift.
even with some basics....

also, it depends, I prefer to just get the point across, since I am not making a thesis or an essay. if what I write made sense, and functionally readible, I could not care less...

if I am posting in 4chan or those faggotry based imageboards, I would use all sorts of insults and also be as much as they are in the same way. heck, they say when you are in Rome, do what the Romans do.

so this applies, it depends on what forum or place I am posting in.
I usually could not care less.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I myself am English 2nd language, but still I make a point to write grammatically correct as far as possible. I know I make mistakes, but if I'm not sure, I try to find out. The biggest frustration is usually that you think in your 1st language and then have to translate (usually literally and not idiomatically) into English (British, not American). I don't complain, I see it as good excersise. I just get irritated at people who should now better since it's there 1st language.

Typos can happen to anyone. I generaly don't review a post to look for mistakes.

General good manners are always appreciated. Don't go out of your way to annoy or insult people. Unless, as Devildude mentioned, it's the accepted manner on theat particualr forum. Although I must admit that there are even people on 4chan who get rapped over the knuckles for language or attitute.

Otherwise, go with the flow, but it's always safe to err on the more polite side. Once your settled in you can relax. Writing here is a substitute for talking to each other - that's my general guide. Write as you would talk.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

I understand when poor grammar and spelling is used by non-native English speakers. As I said earlier, it's the native English speakers that can't even use proper grammar that irritates me.

Signature Image

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

I believe that it is important to preserve humility no matter where you are, and the internet is no exception.

Typo errors are superficial; I am not refering to that. What the main point are those who don't bother to use proper spelling, grammar and sentence structures when posting. This happens more often in Online gaming, because the players have got to save time when playing and typing at the same time, and therefore all those gross errors are understandable. However, in forums like this one, the message in here will be here for some time, unlike games speak; and many people are gonna read it of you're posting in a major thread. Take consideration for others who are gonna read your post and make your English or whatever language right, spare us the eyesore and mental strain of trying to decipher the deliberately 'coded' message.

That goes double for manners. If you're gonna leave an insult here for the multitudes to read, I suggest that you get prepared to be critiqed by the rest too. What goes around, comes around.

Alistair

Alistair

Ol' Man Ali

Heya,

Ya know what pisses me off, is people tryin' to learn English and type "U" for you and such. Learn it first, then spell it like that. Despite, half of the type I feel like I'm dechipering something anyways. Espically, even I mess up I get annoyed for I have two friends that English Majors, so it rubs off on you, I guess.

Anywho, I digress.

Ali

Whirlwind life of faith and betrayal
Rise in anger, fall back and repeat

---Rush, Snakes & Arrows, "Far Cry"

I fing that about 90% of the time I probably overly proper, like for instance I like almost never use internet acronyms. Then again I'm like that in real life too, poor english aside, I never say the f* word, let alone type it. I use a fair bit of topic related jargon though (well, when appropriate anyway).

SouskeUK

SouskeUK

Sunny

Quote by KelenaI pretty much agree with spinSkittles on this topic. Most people should try their best to use English as best they can. I don't think it's all that hard to do. By doing so, it'll help others to read what they post. I'm not someone who is perfect at English, (even though it is my first language) but I think it's only right that someone talks properly out of respect for the person who reads what they write. It doesn't get to me so much that I'll say something to another person, but I think it's polite to try to be grammatically correct.

I try my best. I fail many times too. -_-

I have to agree as well. It really helps others if the post is properly written.
As english is my second language and I don't spend that much of my time on forums and never use chat programs it is fairly hard for me to understand internet slangs. Sometimes I get totaly confused.
I'm not telling that it has to be perfect but a little bit of structure helps a lot.

Quote by spinSkittlesIt's a cultural thing so I know people can't just magically change their speech, but they could at least try!

And I don't think written form has any thing to do with culture. These people are just plain lazy.

In my opinion a spell checker would be a great help from time to time ^_^'. Then I don't have to run between my browser and MS Word all the time. :)

Right Now I'm too lazy to make a signature image!

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

I hate people who type in CAPS all the time in programs like soulseek (file-sharing and chat program). It just pisses me off.

Spamming is an obvious no no.

I can live with a small amount of slang and net-speak (things like "lol" and "rofl") but if the person types in complete ebonics or l33t-speak then it really annoys me. (Although the l33t speak thing can be funny if it's meant to be)

Simple things like "they're" "their" "there" shouldn't be ignored. It just makes sense! Don't say or type anything unless it's going to make sense! Goddammit!

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

Kuragari-Kyrokushen

Kuragari-Kyrokushen

Uchiha by blood Avenger at heart

It is important somewhat. It can also make the other end-user undertstand what you're saying better. Spamming is stupid and very unproductive. Also SHOUTING like that is ok at times. However one should not make a whole post in caps -_- Anyhow its all about preference...so yes it matters and for all those who go by internet etiquette I salute you!

I also think that they way someone types is how we characterize them. If someone types properly, people will consider them to be educated. If someone types like "ha your a funny d00d lol!", then one can only perceive of them as being lame and childish.

Signature Image

L33t-speak definately has its place on the net IMO, but only in some places.

On thing I dislike is the ridictulous overuse of LOL and ROFL, people throw them in everywhere and not only does it sound dumb (c'mon who really laughs at their own jokes) but also has little to no impact anymore as it no longer really means anything.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.