Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Origami Project:Microsoft's answer to everything handheld! - Minitokyo

Origami Project:Microsoft's answer to everything handheld!

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

The Microsoft Empire strikes back :o at he likes of Ipods of the world OX and the PSP and PDAs and everything handheld of the world :x with what perhaps I like to see and call with the protential to be "the Ring that rules them All"....

Well, not sure I'm the first to brought it up here but just take a look.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6381789873197028811&q=Microsoft+Origami

and while at it read a little interesting buzz about this thing...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/microsofts-origami-project/

On a Intel technology show that happens just this week, it was given a sneak peak of what it would look like.

Not too much info was given but only that its going to have the following function.

-the power of a ultra small personal laptop,
-PDA ability w/ tablet screen.
-build in GPS
-ALWAYS online
*I'm guessing assuming if you can found a hot zone*
-able to watch Videos, DVDs, play Mp3s, on demand
-play games,
*was rumored to able to play Xbox 360 games and as a xbox portable for awhile which I guess its not a rumor anymore*
-Able to link with your cell *use it as a cell phone?*

personally I think its alittle bit big but with all those functions on one device, its actually pretty good for ts sizes..., but being a product made by mircosoft, means theres gonna be a ton of bugs on the first 6 months of release. but all and all. I can see it with a great potential of being a start of a one device that rules them all.

with all that said what do you think... ^_^'

Signature

Firebomb

Anime Lover

I think its pretty cool but I think its a bit big too!

DojiHiko

Natsume Maya addict

Hmm, it's pretty much a small laptop in short. A laptop can do pretty much all those things with the proper periperals. I would have to say I don't really care for it though.

Signature

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Origami makes me think of a cross between a Sony PSP and one of those Gateway laptops with swivel monitor tablets. I am one who has always looked away from anything that's just a collection of things other devices can do and that does not offer anything new. Origami is one of them. Of the features that you mentioned:

-the power of a ultra small personal laptop,
-PDA ability w/ tablet screen.
-build in GPS

and
-Able to link with your cell *use it as a cell phone?*

These are already present in some of the more powerful PDA/blackberries.

-able to watch Videos, DVDs, play Mp3s, on demand
-play games,

These are in any decent laptop. And the rumor of xbox compatibility has been refuted. It will not support xbox games.

In the end, to quote from Robert Scoble:

Quote: Origami:

It's not an iPod killer.
It's not a portable Xbox.
It's not an OQO killer.
It's not a PSP killer.
Update: it's not a Nokia N90 killer either (thanks to Marc Canter for asking about that).
Update 2: it's not a Treo 700w killer either (thanks to Dave for pointing that out).
Update 3: hey, PalmAddicts, it�s not a Palm killer either.

And in the end, Origami is nothing more than a bigger version of the OQO. However, the name Origami is deceiving. It is not smaller than the OQO, it doesn't fold, bend, swivel, or telescope.

I really find no use for even getting an Origami. It's not as powerful in any of the individual departments as any of the other devices, and if all it can do is put a PDA with a laptop but with less capabilities, then I will definitely buy each of them separately.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

I agree with EP...the functions don't seem that impressive compared to a Palm/Pocket PC...and I have to say I was horribly disappointed by the design
The intro article I read kept saying that it could fit in a large pocket, but aside from the size (which is an awkward inbetween of a palm and small laptop) the appearance is just not that impressive...reminded me a little of a children's toy...maybe it looks nicer in person than in the photos I saw I suppose

What I'd really like to see is a tablet pc that's really thin and portable...not just a chunky mini-laptop

vode

vode

Banned For Inactive

its pretty much a pocket pc

--o'.'---o

What everyone was reading is a leak version of this "Origami Project".
Microsoft itself will announced it today on March 9, 2006.

And according to a article, this is what they say

Asus is the brainchild behind the Micrsoft Origami Project
since it will be responsible for doing most of the actual manufacturing.

Signature

inuyashalove04

inuyashalove04

inuai-chan

Quote by DojiHikoHmm, it's pretty much a small laptop in short. A laptop can do pretty much all those things with the proper periperals. I would have to say I don't really care for it though.

Yea, I've got to agree with DojiHiko.

Signature Image
"I personally believe that each of us was put here for a purpose-- to build not to destroy. If I can make people smile, then I have served my purpose for God." - Red Skelton

Its a multipurpose device, 99% of which devices are abussmal failures. I won't make any predictions, but why take a product that does lots of things poorly (as most similar devices do) than individual specialsied ones that do only what you want them to and well, usually for cheaper.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.