Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Windows XP x64 Edition and Compatability Issues - Minitokyo

Windows XP x64 Edition and Compatability Issues

page 1 of 1 14 total items

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Released last April and based on Windows Server 2003, WinXP Professional x64 Edition is the newest version of the Windows operating system, designed to harness the potential of modern 64-bit systems.

I'm running WinXP Professional x64 Edition on my new Athlon64-based small form factor system, and for the most part, everything runs smoothly and efficiently. Programs that I've installed run flawlessly, thanks to the built-in Windows on Windows (WoW64) component that allows for the execution of 32-bit programs. The problem lies on the programs and drivers that I cannot install.

What types of programs and drivers aren't compatible with WinXP x64? In the week or so since I replaced my installation of WinXP Pro, I've found that the following flat-out aren't supported:

- Printing (HP doesn't have 64-bit drivers now, though they are working on them)
- Wireless Networking (Netgear does not and will not provide 64-bit drivers)
- CD/DVD burning software (For Nero, only the ludicrously expensive Enterprise Edition supports 64-bit processors)

I was lucky that my video card, sound card, and other peripherals were manufactured by companies who have released 64-bit drivers, but here is my question.

Given the increasing popularity of 64-bit processors, is it worth switching to 64-bit operating systems right now?

A secondary question that is more immediately relevant to me is this: is there a reasonably-priced CD/DVD burning software available for 64-bit systems? Right now, printing is not an issue, because I can just remote desktop into my old WinXP box and print from there, and wireless networking os a null issue as well, as I have an ethernet LAN set up in my apartment, but being able to burn without having to physically swapping drives would be nice.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Is it worth switching to a 64bit operating system?

Well that depends what is the main purpose of your system.
If you are need to use a program that is for scientific research then Yes. because a 64bit OS is able to handle larger memory then a 32bit OS. And it also has better performance.

If you are a home user than it would be no, because right now there a lot of hardware and software compability issues.

As for your printer. Since Windows XP x64 has a larger driver database.
Your printer should autodetect, but if it does not then it's time to get a new one for your 64bit OS. Even though HP says they are "working on it" I highly doubt they will spend their time to create 64bit drivers for all of the printers they manufacture.

Also Nero should work with Window XP x64.
If you have a OEM and/or retail version of Nero, installed and update it.
If that still does not work, try using the built in burning software like the one
Windows XP has.

Here is a chart of some software that working on Windows XP x64
You have to scroll down a bit.
link

Check out these other sites that is dedicated to Window XP x64

forum Site1
forum Site2
forum Site3

BTW: You should have get a trial version of Window XP x64 to test it out since Microsoft lets you download it free of charge.

trialversion

Signature

Blistin9

Blistin9

look into my eye noting but pain

ok huh w.e ttyl!

nothign but pain is in my eyes, poring out sorrow and blood from you

Quote by Blistin9ok huh w.e ttyl!

that's called spam..

Well Linux in available in 64bit and I can see that's the only 64bit OS i'd be using right now...

not much driver or software can support XP 64. I would switch to it now.

I've had x64 installed in my system since last year (alongside WinXP 32-bit). However, I have also been unable to get any 64-bit drivers for my wifi and sound cards. Having a 'mute' OS that is also incapable of accessing the internet is certainly no fun. Some of my favourite legacy DOS games won't run on x64 too! Hence the x64 is degraded to a secondary OS that I occasionally use (if only to remind myself what could be...).

Here is hoping for a day when we can have full 64-bit supports (and afford the gigs of RAMs that x64 supposedly addresses better than its 32-bit cousin).

SouskeUK

SouskeUK

Sunny

For extensive home use, even at home office environment I don't think Window64 is necessary. Its rather overkill.

I mean how many people need to use more then 4gb of ram at their home, not to mention that most of the desktop PC motherboard dosen't have that many ram bunks to install it. But if you do research or mission critical thing where the memory and security and stability etc are issue then its different.

But think of how many problem you faced just changing the OS. you can't burn, can't print, can't do wireless networking. You're lucky that you have another PC so you can manage. But most of the people don't have two or three PC lying around at home so they pretty much have to invest on a new printer, new burning software, new wireless card.

So even if you have 64bit processor (which most of them are now) it is not wise to jump on the band wagon. Unless your job requires it in which case you're company will buy those new equipment for you. :)

So in my opinion let Win64 get hold of market first and let the 3rd party vendors release stuffs that you need, then you should (if you need to) do the switch. At the moment market condition for Win64 is same as when "XP" first came out. Too many issues, like this hardware driver dosen't work, that software dosen't run, my games dosen't run properly :angry:.

So its too much hassle especially for normal people who don't know where to look for help.

And as for CD\DVD burning software there seem to be some cheap solution but no idea how they perform.

here is some link

ComplexCD for $19.99
Arcsoft Backup & Burn for $49.99

Right Now I'm too lazy to make a signature image!

SouskeUK, its not only the maximum amount of ram that is increased.
general processing speed is enhanced.

Anyway for servers going 64bit isn't that bad.
For desktops its not needed.

with Linux you shouldn't have to many problems with 64bit editions.
You might need to compile your own software in some cases (especialy stuff like browsers and so on...)

If your system has 4gb of ram, Windows [XP] 32bit will not recognize it's full amount. It will only recoginze up to 2-3.5GB. As for Windows [XP] x64 there shall be no problem recognize up to 4gb and beyond.

Try opening up a 5gb ultra high quality image and you'll definitely need that extra ram.

Signature

SouskeUK

SouskeUK

Sunny

Quote by tiki223If your system has 4gb of ram, Windows [XP] 32bit will not recognize it's full amount. It will only recoginze up to 2-3.5GB. As for Windows [XP] x64 there shall be no problem recognize up to 4gb and beyond.

Try opening up a 5gb ultra high quality image and you'll definitely need that extra ram.

True but how many people gona watch the sattalite image of earth taken by Nasa.
Or going to work on 400 to 600 MB size image taken by Medium back Digicams except pros.
So with all the problem a normal user have to face I don't think its worth the hassel right now. :)

Right Now I'm too lazy to make a signature image!

I think that regular people who don't do much on computers should stick to Windows XP Pro and Home rather than that. I don't think normal person would need all of those features in a computer. If it were me having something like that, I wouldn't know what to do with all of that RAM and space.

I agree with SouskeUK all the way. ^.^

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Looks like this thread is back in business.

Quote by destinyI think that regular people who don't do much on computers should stick to Windows XP Pro and Home rather than that.

WinXP Pro, please; speaking as someone who works in computer security, WinXP Home is double plus ungood because of stunted security features and moronic default settings such as the lack of passwords on administrative user accounts.

Still, even at 2 GB, one can start to feel your system strain when you're playing in Photoshop with some fairly large files with some other things running in the background (Konfabulator, Azureus, iTunes, etc.), and given the trend towards more memory-intensive applications, it's just a (short) matter of time before we'll need more than 4 GB. Besides, with the release of games like Oblivion, even the 1 GB threshold, which until just a few years ago was considered powerhouse, is now becoming something of a minimum requirement for decent performance.

Speaking of Oblivion, tack on another item to the x64 incompatability list: while Oblivion itself runs beautifully, the official plugins don't install.

Drat.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

Quote by shinsengumi
- Printing (HP doesn't have 64-bit drivers now, though they are working on them)

HP do have 64bit drivers for printers (check them out at http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=6711 ), although they don't work for me (while XP provided ones work like a charm). However I have trouble making it work on network, prolly due to customized XP installation with nlite, though its not really neccessary for me.

I have almost no complaints about the driver availability. Even my kinda exotic sound card and tablet are working perfectly fine. The only real problem for me is lack of x64 canon scanner drivers, so I'll have to install a 32bit xp under vmware when I'm not lazy (I hate rebooting, and in the current x64 state dual-boot setup is a waste for me).

For general burning, I mostly use Nero, while for images/iso's - Alcohol 120%.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

I installed Windows XP x64 Pro like yesterday. Didn't have problems with finding 64bit drivers to my hardware, everything works nicely.
If you have a 64bit CPU then ofcourse using a 64bit system is a must I would say. I mean, why not increase the performance of your PC if you can? I didn't really care to install it earlier, but finally I did and I hope it will continue to work nicely.
About your questions considering CD/DVD burning software, Nero should work fine. I have no problems with it.

up up and away

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.