Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do U want to become a Moderator? - Minitokyo

Do U want to become a Moderator?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Hi :D
MT members
i don't know how many Moderator in MT
but i want to become a Moderator

Some Moderrators' Artistic Level is 0
some Moderators' Artistic Level is very high
Why they sre Moderator and some common members aren't
though their Artistic Level is very high?

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I'm sure it all varies on the different levels of participation each of them had in helping maintain Minitokyo, even without being a moderator there are many things you can do as well. You can report double postings of scans, you can report ripped scans/wallpapers and report inappropriate content. Each of those helps out the mods a great deal I'm sure, instead of them having to look for each individual thing themselves we as members can help them out. This is an anime art community keep in mind tho, not everyone has great artistic talent...I find myself one of the ones who doesn't have much talent in the department of wallpapers and such, but you can contribute to the "community" part by talking in threads and starting discussions and answering questions from other members. Well thats my two cents I'm sure your thread will get the attention of a mod somewhere...so there is probably more.

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

well currently there is a certain attention being called for the lack of staffs in minitokyo, I guess it really depends, but a moderator of MT is real hard to get, so I guess your chances are slim unless likewise, they would even consider getting more people to help them. Consider some of the moderators actually are never in action, at times, I wonder why they are still on the role.
Of course, not to say much here, but good luck getting the job.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

Asahi

Asahi

gone

Quote: but a moderator of MT is real hard to get

i think its the same like to become a elite member <.<

well, i wish you good luck too :)

nekosasu

nekosasu

chibi ningen no baka ~desu

First off, knowledge of clean and correct English is a MUST to even anticipate the thought of trying to become a moderator. Your chances seem very low :D

so
as we see
there have oher members like "elite " .etc...
what they can do?

Ultimaninja

The Ultimate Ninja

I'm sure that there is a specific test or so in order to become a moderator as well. Or maybe you have to have been on the site for a VERY long time and have to have posted alot, given helpful advice, and other things. But it is probablly very diffucult remaining a moderator...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Oooh oooh, I want to be a moderator too!

Quote: I'm sure that there is a specific test or so in order to become a moderator as well.

It's a fairly long examination that tests mathematics, critical reasoning, and writing, three things that are important for moderators. A solid grasp of mathematics is required in order to understand how the credit system works, ability to reason critically is important when determining how to deal with particular administrative issues, and a solid grasp of the English language is required for everything ranging from commenting on highlighted scans to responding to complaints.

After a prospective moderator has finished his or her examination, it is graded and considered by the moderator staff as a whole, after which an extensive background check is performed during which all of the member's past actions, usernames, IP addresses, and friends are reviewed. Then, the prospective moderator is interviewed, usually by Sheqel but sometimes also by a panel of current moderators, after which the moderator staff decides whether or not to promote the member in question. Sheqel, being the top banana, has veto power over all moderator promotions.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. Either that, or something like what Tama wrote in her article about Elite Members.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Elites can move your threads and move your gallery items.
to understand deeper read -----> http://www.clearlypixelated.com/minitokyo/elitemembers.html

Signature Image

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

To expand shinsengumi's explanation on moderator exams:

As you all know, I was promoted last October, or sometime around that. So the exam I had to take is newer than the one shin had to take. Basically, I had to sit for a 100 question multiple choice exam, covering all the aspects of MT Policy, FAQs, and other details about MT. There is extensive mathematics involved, as we had to calculate credits and such. We also had to use critical thinking, because many questions were scenarios and we had to reason our way through it.

There is also a short, 500 words essay to demonstrate our English proficiency and writing skills.

In total, the exam comes out to 200 points. You had to get above a 185 to move on to the interview stage. I got 187 points because apparently I was interpreting the gallery comment spam sections a bit too leniently, so pretty close call there.

The current mods also went through all my previous posts. A big scare was when shinsengumi pointed out that he closed the first thread I ever made, because I didn't search and made a duplicate thread. That almost bumped me off.

I myself was interviewed by sheqel himself, since that was the time when school just started and most of the other mods were busy with college. The interview was basically to see if you had the right attitude and personal character to be a good moderator and handle situations. Some of the interview questions were pretty tough. But I guess Sheqel was nice and let me pass. :)

But yes, Tama definitely wrote a very good article about how things work. You should all read that.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Suddenly, being promoted as a moderator became really scary... o_O

Actually, I was wondering about a little paragraph found in the support section, under About Minitokyo, and it looks like this is the perfect thread to ask about it:

Quote by About MinitokyoModerator Applications

Minitokyo is almost always looking for moderators. You can apply for moderator (gallery/forum) if all of the following applies:

* You are a member for at least 3 months
* You have at least decent participation
* You do not have any 'enemies' on Minitokyo (art competition does not count)

I've seen it a while ago, and found it a bit weird. I've been member of Minitokyo for over a year now, and I don't think we could ever apply to become moderator. Is this new? Or just a mistake? Then again, it doesn't even say how to apply...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

oh, that stuff on the about minitokyo page is old and no longer correct. The entire system was changed. We still need to rewrite that page. If you look even the server info is wrong, since we just moved servers. The page as you see it right now was written by sheqel waayyyy back when MT first started.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Quote by EternalParadoxTo expand shinsengumi's explanation on moderator exams:

As you all know, I was promoted last October, or sometime around that. So the exam I had to take is newer than the one shin had to take. Basically, I had to sit for a 100 question multiple choice exam, covering all the aspects of MT Policy, FAQs, and other details about MT. There is extensive mathematics involved, as we had to calculate credits and such. We also had to use critical thinking, because many questions were scenarios and we had to reason our way through it.

Heh...i prolly failed this one for sure...half the time it seemed like I am talking to myself....

Quote:
There is also a short, 500 words essay to demonstrate our English proficiency and writing skills.

I might have a chance at this...(i never passed Toefl however)

Quote:
In total, the exam comes out to 200 points. You had to get above a 185 to move on to the interview stage. I got 187 points because apparently I was interpreting the gallery comment spam sections a bit too leniently, so pretty close call there.

wow...that is like asking for you too high standards there...I say 160 plus is way more than enough IMO, but 185 is like asking you either have to be Godly or Expert...

Quote:

The current mods also went through all my previous posts. A big scare was when shinsengumi pointed out that he closed the first thread I ever made, because I didn't search and made a duplicate thread. That almost bumped me off.

Oh come on...this is ridiculous, we all start out as N00bs and hence we need to learn, digging up old dirt from the first times we joined is like asking for a miracle to happen....

Quote:

I myself was interviewed by sheqel himself, since that was the time when school just started and most of the other mods were busy with college. The interview was basically to see if you had the right attitude and personal character to be a good moderator and handle situations. Some of the interview questions were pretty tough. But I guess Sheqel was nice and let me pass. :)

Fair enough...i always thought he was a scary and unfriendly fellow however...
speaking of which...it seems he is lenient enough.

Speaking of which, not that I am interested...but whom do you see or apply to become one? Do you PM Sheq for the apllication? Or something else?

Is there also a different test for forum or gallery moderation? Like perhaps to say, I apply for a moderator of the galleries, I go through a different set of tests for gallery moderation than forum moderation.

I think a lot of people might actually volunteer for this. Heck...I think there are people applying for this already after reading all this. I assume a lot of intelligent debaters in Minitokyo actually qualify for this.

Quote: all of the member's past actions, usernames, IP addresses, and friends are reviewed.

having a friendlist review...so if I have everyone iny FL means I failed..?

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Frankly, I can't understand why anyone would want to be a moderator.
*runs away as fast as she possibly can*
Edit:
Also, to clarify something in thinker's first post, moderators are not solely chosen for their artistic ability, and artistic level is hardly even a factor in selection for elite member or moderator. Some moderators are chosen because of their knowledge and dedication in the forums, which means they don't need any art submitted to be a very effective forum moderator. Remember, artistic talent is just one aspect of being a well-rounded MT member. There are plenty more, and a lack of artistic talent can be offset by outstanding performances in other aspects.

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

Goodness, I had no idea you had to take a test to be a moderator. O_O I hope I am never asked, I suck at math. XD

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Personally, modding MT is a pain in the A$$, thanks to people like me who post moar crap in the forums. Plus, the workload must be a pain in the a$$ too, thanks to the super whoring reports from Somebodyelse LOL, that makes extra hard work.

I guess this thanks to it. But again, I will not take back my word that the forums need more moderators running it.
(oh well...not to say as much, I dare say any report I made should be one of those that works...so that makes me a victim to that as well...I assume myself in the blacklist of people who do too many reports)

Signature Image

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

The forums almost feed themselves, it is very much up to the members to report forum mishaps and i feel very sorry for the moderators who would have to put up with the crap they do. I think the important thing thats needs to be cracked down on are the gallery items, I am one of those people who a lot of noobs hate but don't know who it is....that is i report a lot of gallery items that have been ripped of stolen and not given credit to. One big one is any item that has a description of 3 smileys....they really get to me.
Well now i understand the pains of becoming a moderator and also have much more respect for them, good luck all who'll probably be submitting applications now (elite members sound OK, your status looks cool but you don't do that much more anyways)

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

After reading how thoroughly tested an applicant has to be, and how learned they must remain, I would never want to be a mod here. My goal was to offer my services in gallery cleanup only, not in forum moderation, of which I'd have a decent grasp anyway.

One thing concerns me though. To be a moderator, it appears that a rigorous testing process only gets you an interview. With the MT policy in a state of constant flux, how do the admins and current mods keep track of it all? For example, if I was going through a testing phase, reading and understanding all the CURRENT posted policy, and basing my answers on it, how would I know if I'm getting questions wrong? If the admin and mod staff don't immediately update all the materials and remove all the old policy, the answers would be justifiably incorrect.

That's not a scenario worth entering. So, to those who wish to "enter the dragon", I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you'd have to be more knowledgeble than the current admin staff to even get an interview.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

You know I think most of this stuff would just be common sense the way to take care of stuff, there's probably so many things on minitokyo anymore cause it's sooo large to keep track of every nook and cranny.

I also should point out to everyone, it appears we have had some promotions in the ranks of moderators it looks like...So I say congratulations to those who passed the rigourous testing. BluSake, eunasahng, bromithia and shyxsakura...sorry if I missed anyone else I was just looking about and noticed some new highlighted names. Good luck guys, we'll try to keep the noise to a minimum for you :)

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

I would not keep the noise down tho...LOL
Thanks to the staff for considering our whining and constant bashing and finally raised some new stallions for the farm of 200k worth of members. I like to say congrats to all who made it and become the slaves of the community, and may you have the best time. A good journey and well wish from me.

I must say, hopefully with these new promotions the community will be better ran. I always commented there is never enough staff around, because the truth is nevr too far away.

Of course with the new promotions a few more have stepped down from the stage, definitely it is all good, just hope that the community will continue to benefit even with the new moderators and elites.

I think you guys still need more though, but however, it is all good.

Signature Image

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

For all those who are moderator wannabes; here's a few questions which you may want to ask about the test. I'm going to ask, anyway.

1. How is the test conducted? i.e. from the net, printed material, etc.

2. What is the duration of the test?

3. What is the format of the test?

3. Is there a subject provided to write the essay, and if there is, what is it normally about?

4. What kind of mathematics are required in the calulation of credits and will be included in the test? E.g. Exponentials, Algebric, Factors, Calculus, etc.

5. How is the interview conducted?

6. How do you obtain your results?

it seems really difficult to be a moderator and i'm glad that there people willing to put in the time to be one. it's almost like another job but you don't get paid.

searching for faith
in the stars of your eyes

Darowin

Darowin

Oogly Boogly

wow that is a lot of rules and things you have to follow...

I wonder how i will do...

well i try and post quite a lot....

ShiXon

ShiXon

PFFFTT.

wow, well i did notice that moderators and elite members has a very wide vocabulary 8d so they make such interesting comments on wallies, scans, etc ;p

HAY THARR.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.