Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What's Rude - What's Not? - Minitokyo

What's Rude - What's Not?

page 1 of 1 16 total items

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

DISCLAIMER (teeheehee): Well I hope I don't get in trouble for this, it MAY contain bad language depending on your opinion but it's this opinion i'm asking about. (Either way closing this thread would be hippocritical with all the half naked ladies advertising dating to me :P)

This is yet another issue in the world which makes me stop and think about perspective. There has recently been complaints from england about a commercial advertising Australia as a tourist destination, i'm not sure how it went in America (maybe you could update me) but apparently in England (and a few other places i think) the add was banned. It was banned because in the add it said "so where the bloody hell are you". This was suposedly offensive and it raises the question of what really is and isn't offensive in certain places. I find that perfectly acceptable and wonder if this was a decision from censors or if the majority of English people would also be offended? Likewise i believe it was shown in America, so what were your views on it there?

I ask is that really offensive or vulgar? An example is that 'bloody hell' was used in the harry potter movies a number of times, but that was acceptable. Another example in Australia was an Add saying 'bugger'. It was a hit but after a while it had to be censored, so where are we suppose to draw a line between whats rude and what's not as the times change. I find that in Australia the culture has become fairly relaxed with swearing and the word bastard is a very common word (for a 'profanity') in everyday language. I remember 'shut up' was once upon a time unacceptable language but it's used constantly in movies now that are aimed at very young audiences.

I'm again curious how the world looks at each other and if there really is a difference between whats offensive and whats not in different countries. Whether you'll comment on that example or give one of your own is fine as all perpectives interest me.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

well..... I think this is just going back to some bad blood between those two (the UK and Australia). Australia was kinda founded as a prisoner's colony for felons, the "scum and scalliwags" that they sought to get rid of. So I suppose that the Brits feel somewhat insulted by having a country whose heritage goes farthest back to the people they considered lowlifes and scum go and act too proud. It could be a personal thing, like that.

S-a-c-h-i-e-l

S-a-c-h-i-e-l

S-a-c-h-i-e-l

If it was up to me, the all swearing would be removed. Unfortunately, there is no way in heck that's gonna happen, so it then depends on who is saying the ads or whatever are bad. Some people I know think swearing is perfectly acceptable, others avoid it like the plague. So, it's up to personal opinion, really.

Another consideration is that alot of slang curse words are the same in England and Australia, but most Americans don't know what 'bugger' means and wouldn't find 'bloody hell' to be any more rude than any other usage of the word hell.

Quote by iamthewalruswell..... I think this is just going back to some bad blood between those two (the UK and Australia). Australia was kinda founded as a prisoner's colony for felons, the "scum and scalliwags" that they sought to get rid of. So I suppose that the Brits feel somewhat insulted by having a country whose heritage goes farthest back to the people they considered lowlifes and scum go and act too proud. It could be a personal thing, like that.

I highly doubt that's the reason. It's probably just because it was considered offensive.

I think this is a bit odd, but if they want to ban a commercial for what may be considered vulgar language they can (I think...).

long

long

lost

on the contrary, alot more "americans" know what "bugger" means then you think. granted i'm canadian... but thats besides the point.

~ always thinking of you

I don't take any offense from "bloody hell".

warriormars

warriormars

Flame Sniper

thats like them changing those Aspercreme comercials. i thought "you bet your sweet assss---percreme" was actually very clever. now its "you bet if its aspercreme" totally different effect. and who really cares?!

In the morning, laughing happy fish heads, in the evening, floating in the soup.

julian1

julian1

Pursuer Of Darkness

maybe it's the word 'hell' but they should just censor the word (replacing it with a beep anyway), not ban the whole ad. most movies had their characters saying hell or worse, @#$$%!, so could they just ban the whole movie?

Signature

actually according to the news ive seen the only problem they had with the add was the word bloody

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

That's what I was saying, not the add itself being offensive but the use of the word bloody in it, sorry if it appeared that way. I have however heard just recently that the ad is now being reviewed for it's content in England and the case being held is that 2 adds aired have had the word before. I think this is a lot of playing around for little reason, there's really not a great deal to review, the answer will still be yes or no. (maybe they review so it looks like they're actually doing a job in the censor office)

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

nisnoopy3

nisnoopy3

I'm here...

If i go to Uk for the first time and i knew nothing bout the communications skills of an English person spoke then i would probably considered these words "bloody hell" were rude. But if you know the reasons the English people using these words you'll considered them as a everyday spoken language. Same as the condition in Singapore, me as a regular visitor to Singapore I knew few things bout the communications skills that they used in their daily life. Those Singaporeans would likely used to speak what so everyone called "Singlish".. For this language it is using English language to speak but by adding a particular sound at the back when pronounced it.. If i'm not mistaken bout this "Singlish" language.

Signature
[K.Y.O.N.K.O] + [V.O.T.E] = [orpheuz]
howls-moving-castle [url=http://howls-moving-castle.minitokyo.net/]~:|A NEW FACE FOR HOWL

Its about the individual whether something is offensive or not.

Its just that we don't have control of censorship - the government does. If they want to think that "bloody hell" or any other such phrase is offensive, that's their choice, stupid as it is.

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

The "Where the bloody hell are you?" add again...

Well sorry to bring the thread back from an approaching grave but things have continued in the topic. First England was offended, then Canada said it wasn't aloud because it advertised un-labelled beer (when the add says we're bought you a beer) and now a lobby group in America is complaining. American Family Association is apparently complaining about the adds impact and that they don't want their children hearing that phrase.

Well in the world of TV i think that little "welcoming" (thats right, it's actually a warm hearted welcoming) phrase is the least of their worries. What bothered me though is when i read the comment "I guess they use it all the time in Australia, but it's a foreign language here so I think it'll have a negative impact rather than positive". I'ld say hell no to that. It's not that Australians walk around swearing constantly all day, I myself don't use the word bloody all that often. The difference is that Australians generally seem to have a better sense of humour and shug off a simple thing such as that, i find many people use bastard as a friendly word. This isn't just my opinion as i have a friend from England and one from China and both agree that this country (Australia) is much more laid back.

So if you the English, the Canadians or the Americans, what do you think........is this offensive......do you really think we walk around swearing all day. What do you really think of the add and what do you really think of Australians?

Kanika

Kanika

Tick, tock, goes the clock...

*tis English*

From what I know, the term 'bloody hell' is pretty common here. When compared to other swear words, it's really not that bad at all.

I've never seen the ad mentioned, though I personally see no sensible reason for being banned. The word 'bloody' may have upset some people (typically being associated with violence and all). While the word 'hell' may have upset the religious.

Signature
...even for the Doctor.

agent1

agent1

I'm still young

well i'm from australia and my teachers don't really care what i say just as long i keep up with my studies, i accidently fully yelled out the F word when i hurt my finger and the teacher just looked at me and just looked back at marking the worksheets *lol*

as day by day pass by
oh how I wish that
those days will never die

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.