Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why cant my DVD rom drive read Disc? Help plz ! - Minitokyo

Why cant my DVD rom drive read Disc? Help plz !

page 1 of 1 22 total items

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Walking the Path of Darkness

There is an error in my photoshop so I have to reinstall it.
Then I realized that my DVD rom drive was not able to read the disc or any other discs as well!
Why ? can anyone plz tell me?
I would really appreiate the help
I m really sad right now that I cant do anything about it.
x_x :(

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Your dvd drive is unable to read any disks at all?

I would recomend doing a virus scan just to be sure for starters. Then 2nd check your drivers that are running your dvd drive, you might want to re-install them.

merged: 03-19-2006 ~ 11:18am
When exactly did you notice you had this problem? What were you doing at the time when it occured? Did you install anything recently?

Check to see if your OS recognizes your DVD drive first. Then, if you've dealt with messing with computer parts, check to see if all the parts are connected right.

Signature Image

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Answering to fluke:
Yes, I have done a virus check. Also Yes, I reintalled them but still it cant read disc.
I notice this when I was trying to reinstall photoshop when it says I have any error in photoshop and it recommend me to reinstall it. Then I realize my DVD rom drive was not able to read the disc. So, I tested using other discs .... and still it read nothing out. Welll. ... I havent install anything recently like about 3 months. And I rarely use my DVD rom drive.

Answering to someweirdguy:
Yes, I did everything that u recommended ..... but still it wont work.
thats y I decided to ask for help.

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

Ok, does the My Computer window even show a drive that is designated as your dvdrom drive any longer. If so, when you put in the disk do you mean it does not recognize it like...it just doesn't show the title of the disk? If it shows the disk in the drive under My Computer, can you open the disk, or is that where the problem begins?

I'm trying to figure this out for ya :)

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Answering to fluke:
Ok, after i inserted the disc into the dvd rom then I went to My computer.
next I wait like a few seconds.
then the lebel name changes from DVD-RAM Drive to drive F. and the icon stays the same and not change it to anyother icon. cuz usually it does when u play a disc.
then I click it and there are no files.
thats the total problem I m having.
and still can not fixed it.

Signature Image

Feel free to drop me a line at Daishiknyte (aim). If everything Fluke is asking you to check checks out, it may be a dead drive or disc. Try going through windows update and seeing if there is anything that the auto update didnt get.

merged: 03-19-2006 ~ 12:38pm
Do normal CDs work? Also, is it a RAM, ROM, or RW drive?

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Answering to Daishiknyte:
well, it doesnt seems that the auto update helped.
Normal CDs do not work as well. and its a ram drive.

Signature Image

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Nothing else worked? Then I'ld say either the reading head got dirty and it can recognise a DVDs been inserted, but can't read because of dust/dirt whatever over the lens. From what i've read your last hope is to clean it, you can buy a special CD that will allow you to clean them, most computer stores would have them.

If that didn't work and if you really did do everything else properly and that didn't work than i would say that it's a dead drive (they do have a life expectancy), if you REALLY wanted to make sure it's dead you'ld have to remove it physically from your computer and try it on another, although it's something i would do i don't reccomend it for others unless you know for sure what your doing. This is only my suggestion and physically dismantling your computer can be dangerous. (you could call a pro but i highly doubt he would suggest/do anything that hasn't been said here)

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

fluke

fluke

Quote by littlejonny100Nothing else worked? Then I'ld say either the reading head got dirty and it can recognise a DVDs been inserted, but can't read because of dust/dirt whatever over the lens. From what i've read your last hope is to clean it, you can buy a special CD that will allow you to clean them, most computer stores would have them.

If that didn't work and if you really did do everything else properly and that didn't work than i would say that it's a dead drive (they do have a life expectancy), if you REALLY wanted to make sure it's dead you'ld have to remove it physically from your computer and try it on another, although it's something i would do i don't reccomend it for others unless you know for sure what your doing. This is only my suggestion and physically dismantling your computer can be dangerous. (you could call a pro but i highly doubt he would suggest/do anything that hasn't been said here)

This is a good point. You did say you rarely use your dvd drive...so it's a possibility it could be dirty. I did find this place althought I didn't get much reading done it, so if you want to look at it here it is

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641

I'd probably try cleaning it first see what happens.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

I don't know how much good a cleaner disc will do if the drive doesn't play discs at all. The ones I have seen tell you to play a certain track so the lens is above the cleaning brush. I tried one once when my CD burner died and it didn't do jack. It may be a waste of money, so watch out. Has anyone else had one save a drive before?

You may want to try a standard air duster. It may blow dust in farther and make things worse, but it sounds like it's worth a shot if nothing else works.

Another less likely possibility, but your IDE cable may have gone bad. If you're comfortable with working on the inside of computers and have an extra cable lying around, try swapping it.

In my experience, older optical drives tend to die. I would avoid investing too much money in attempted fixes vs the cost of a replacement.

Signature Image

Yamato-Kira

Yamato-Kira

Does war ever stop?

sorry im not good with computers...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

thankz alot everyone.
It seems its fixed a lil now.
Right now my Dvd drive can play the discs ... however, for some reason the files in the discs can not be shawn. This is my main problem. The files are like hidden which means the drives need some update. Also, I might have removed some out of it while I m doing a virus scanning during my free time. (Sry , just figured out) But wut updates or wuts missing do I need ?

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

You might want to see if there is a firmware upgrade or something...not sure if something like that would help or not...and I dont think you can "Hide" all the files on a cd being as that you can't really move or delete them from the disk so there is no risk of harming them. Well let us know if you have any more problems we can help with. :)

You can have hidden files on CDs or DVDs. Heck, I bet you could have every file on discs be hidden.

And it's good that you fixed your problem, ZonSlashSykato.

Signature Image

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

No, I dont want them to be hidden ! I dont care how but I just want to fix it.
I want them out.
And I do not know how to fix that.

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

Try this...see if it helps,

To make a hidden folder viewable, click Start, Run, then type Explorer and press Enter. Then click Tools , Folder Options, View tab. Then under Advanced Settings, click "Show hidden files and folders" under the "Hidden files and folders" folder.

See if that allows you to see your files on your dvd rom.

If that does nothing, just undo what you did there.

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Unforunatetly it did not work again.
once I went to the " hidden files and folders " the show hidden files and folders was already on. Yet the files from the disc remain undetected.
I donno no yet but I dont think my drive is daed but cannot get it too work as well.
Until that is clear I need to really try hard to fix it.
Also, tomoro I have school. Do not think I will have time, but I ll try to find a way.

Signature Image

Do you have another drive in your computer? If so, try out that drive. You can, as suggested, if you know how to deal with hardware, try putting that drive into another computer, or installing a new drive into your current computer.

Signature Image

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Well, I do not have another drive.
Also I donno how to installing a new drive into my computer.

Signature Image

Check if driver filering has been enabled on that drive. Some viruses, malware, ect install filters on your drive that alter its behaviour, such as totally removing functionality.

ZonSlashSykato

ZonSlashSykato

Yup, its enabled. So what to do now ?

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.