Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Now who didn't see this coming? - Minitokyo

Now who didn't see this coming?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

There were reasons why people didn't like the fact that Naruto got licensed, and tonight I witnessed first hand one of those reasons.

While reading about the concepts of risk and risk premiums, shouts of little kids interrupted my thoughts...

"SHARINGAN!"

At first I thought he just couldn't formulate a proper sentence ("sharing gun..") but then I realized they were jumping around, throwing what appeared to be paper ninja stars and weilding paper kunai. Then I thought to myself, "damn did I just witness an episode of Naruto - Live action?" Then a second shout confirmed that what I heard was definetly Naruto ninja fighting. :sweat:

Now honestly who didn't see this coming? Little kids running around shouting "Shadow clone Jutsu!" and "Sharingan!"? Don't get me wrong though, I'm not making fun of those little kids portraying what they witnessed from the latest episode that aired on YTV (canada's equivalent to cartoon network I guess? lol) I just think that this is the reason why people dreaded naruto getting licensed. Now, not only do I feel silly thinking Naruto used to be cool (the fillers suck... admit it... but it'll probably get good again haha) I also feel a little embarassed at the fact that on the surface, kids 12 years old like the show that I watch(ed) and like(d).

Since Bleach is now licensed I wonder what the kids will be shouting next, or even fighting with next. I hear you can get a paper cut more easy with a paper "Soul Slayer" than you can with paper kunai...

Is this really what the term "Americanization" means when it comes to anime being licensed? Aside from god awful dubs (most of the time), are we destined to see little kids act out the cool "cartoons" they just saw on tv and run around playing with newly created toys that go along with the american release?

If this is in the wrong category my apologies. ^_^'

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

It can simply be narrowed down to uncool becoming cool. This is happening with things constantly, songs being the worst victim. One day anime may even become one of the dominate popular cultures in society. Everyone has heard of anime but i find few know what it's about, one day that might change to cause like a lot of things, Anime is getting better, unlike nearly everything else on TV (I stopped watching tv about 3 or 4 years ago and rely on fansubs for my intake :p)

Now i'm interested in how pokemon made the transition from japan to the rest of the world, and whether there were people shaking there heads at that time as well...I guess the world is quite ignorant about new things and how new they really are.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by maikusama Is this really what the term "Americanization" means when it comes to anime being licensed? Aside from god awful dubs (most of the time), are we destined to see little kids act out the cool "cartoons" they just saw on tv and run around playing with newly created toys that go along with the american release?

Of course! It's nothing new, and it's certainly not only with anime that you see this type of thing... little kids mimic what they like, whether it be Naruto, Ninja Turtles, or whatever cartoons are on the air... (I have no clue what's on T.V nowadays... because I live in a hole in the ground XP ^_^') It will happen with anything popular... I remember playing Power Rangers with my little brother, back in the day... or watching him and his friends play Star Wars.

Signature Image

kyokujitsu

kyokujitsu

Without Purpose

Starwars light saber duels with toy lightsabers always was, and always will be, the cool thing to do. Lol, anyway...

If I was in that situation that maiku (Mike?) was in, I'd be simply fuming, and probably will be in a fit for the rest of the day. I could go on a pointless rant about licensing, but that would be pointless.

There's nothing wrong with liking shows that kids years younger than you enjoy. I think that with the dubs, they specifically aim them at little kids... I mean, usually bad voice acting puts off more mature people, but they don't seem to affect the little kids. And remember, most of the time they don't know what's going on, while we can understand and enjoy the intricacies and twists.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
- Dr. Robert Schuller

GoodTree - The homepage that supports charities ^_^

Well, really I agree with kyokujitsu-san. Nothing is wrong with the younger crowd liking what you like. With anime it is different in North America. Kids go for the colourful stuff. Although anime isn't a cartoon, it has similar traits as it is animated. Really, most children don't care for watching acting and when they see anime, it like a cartoon but better.

I went through the Pokemon phase... *rolls eyes* And really, I had no idea what was going on. As long as I got to see Pokemon fight, I didn't care what they were saying. If you are the mature audience and know what is really going on then who cares?

What is funny though is that if you look back on some of the cartoons you used to watch, you might see some of the jokes that you wouldn't have understood as a child. I decided to actually watch a tv screen one day and it scared the heck out of me. Anywhoo...

Being Americanized isn't neccessarily bad because hey, Anime will gain a larger fanbase. People may learn of the whole dubbing thing and who knows? Maybe those who license anime have to put greater care in to dubbing due to demands. More Anime and Manga would also become available to us.

Although a larger kid population may be made, just think of the teenagers and adults who may join... XD

Smile, only if you want to.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

lol do you guys remember in the training mission that Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura had to do right at the beginning of the series? Where they had to get 2 bells from Kakashi? Imagine the kids copying Kakashi's ninja-Finger-Enema technique!

The main thing I don't really like about licensing is that a fair number of shows they license weren't intended for kids in the first place, but then the US distributors smack in some wacky voices and stupid sound effects and Voila! 26 weeks of tv to rot young little minds

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

They're kids, give them a break. Now, if they were 16, then that's another story...

Signature Image

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

I call that americanization and my own word Amerianime. I hate Naruto in the firsr place but when little kids start to do it, it makes anime fans look like weridos and to old to be watching anime but american treat anime as if it was a childs thing, thats the problem.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

Lantist

Lantist

Royal Mist

Oh **** I'm so glad that bittorrent exist or else I'll have to listen to those...those horrrible voice actors that the american versions has. so far ADV have the worst voice actors from what I've heard.

i still can't get over the fact that bleach is licenced! i am so not looking foward to this. i really dont wanna see a buch if 11yr kids saying "im Ichigo" (assuming they are going to keep the real names which they probally wont) swing an imaginary sword around. but it is going on adult swim so with hopw i wont see that......it's to late for naruto though. WHY BLEACH!? WHY!?!?!

Yah i could imagine this would happen yrs ago.
It would have really annoyed me if i still liked naruto..but even i feel i grew out of it..the kids can have it.
All i hope is tat those kids dont think naruto is american (everyone wouldnt believe me when i was little when i said "no pokemon comes from japan"). I hope one day those kids can see the original version and so one day anime will souly be recognised as japanese lol..As if rite.

\(^o^)/

Quote by chaosmongoosei still can't get over the fact that bleach is licenced! i am so not looking foward to this. i really dont wanna see a buch if 11yr kids saying "im Ichigo" (assuming they are going to keep the real names which they probally wont) swing an imaginary sword around. but it is going on adult swim so with hopw i wont see that......it's to late for naruto though. WHY BLEACH!? WHY!?!?!

Because they believe that Bleach will generate lots of money, hence the license.

Signature Image

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

VIZ ruins good Anime.

I haven't seen anything like that in my hometown yet, but that doesn't mean I won't see it eventually. This happens all the time when something gets licensed.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Quote by someweirdguyThey're kids, give them a break. Now, if they were 16, then that's another story...

You've misread my post :sweat:

I'm not laughing at the kids. I'm making fun of the fact that this is what happens when an anime is licensed for showcasing in America.

i think i get what you're saying. it kinda makes you feel weird watching a t.v. show that suddenly kids are watching too. makes you feel a little like you're too old to watch "cartoons". but it's not "cartoons", it's anime. it's different. but i get guff from others when they see i watch anime. more importantly, those kids will be running around saying "ban kai".

searching for faith
in the stars of your eyes

somthing similar to this has happened to me (i live in the Philippines). there was a time when yu yu hakusho was unheard of. i was priviledged enough to watch the first ever episode aired here in the Phils (by chance). i thought that i was the only one who knew and appreceiated the anime (i was in grade 2). before i knew it after around 2 years, everyone around me was screaming and yelling out "raygun" and stuff like that. and after another 2 years, to let even other people know that you watched the anime was disgraceful because it seemed to them that the only reason you watched the anime is because it was the "in" thing at that time. it really was annoying.

regarding the topic:
well shit happens. it doesn't mean that a thing becomes the new in thing (or suddenly becomes uncool) because of the popularity and hype it gets does not decrease the value of the show. just enjoy the anime and support it if you really did enjoy it.

I know what you mean. I haven't seen that stuff myself but I remember all the sayings from like Sailor Moon and such.

I don't know, but I wonder what kids will do over Bleach. The thought kind of scares me.

daos

daos

Dark Angel Of Silence

You can't be selfish and say it's a bad thing that Naruto got licensed. Popular anime always have it coming, and Naruto is no exception. Let those little kids do whatever they want, no matter how stupid they may look in the process. They're just kids after all, let them have their fun with licensed anime.

BiNumber3

BiNumber3

The 3rd one, tween the 2nd n 4th

I haven't seen any of that happenin around me either, though im in college so seein little kids in general is pretty rare.

But i do remember way back when i'd be jumpin off things pretending to be superman, or power rangers n stuff, so it's not like it's anything new :)

Kids these days... taking love too seriously, shouldn't be worryin about love til they're at LEAST 11 years old

the dubbing of japanese anime to be brought to america is undeniably amied at younger audiences. Its a simple matter of culter variety.

I personally stopped watching Naruto long ago, the whole thing was just losing its touch.

Signature Image

Quote by daosYou can't be selfish and say it's a bad thing that Naruto got licensed. Popular anime always have it coming, and Naruto is no exception. Let those little kids do whatever they want, no matter how stupid they may look in the process. They're just kids after all, let them have their fun with licensed anime.

Licensing is not necessarily "bad" it's just not something anime watchers look forward to. I'm sure you have come across a time when a friend of yours asked "What exactly is anime? Isn't it just cartoons?" When I'm in that situation, my response is typically "it's just japanese animation." But don't you feel that the reason why japanese anime is being viewed on the same level as american cartoons is because of these little kids running around sporting Naruto head bands?

Should Naruto be labeled a Cartoon? I mean it has all the qualities that make it a cartoon now doesn't it?

1. It's animated.
2. There are Naruto toys.
3. Kids love it because it's so "cool".

This is what anime watchers probably fear. When a licensed anime is shown in North America it somehow manages to go through the transition to become an american cartoon well liked by kids ages 8-13.

But why just license only the very popular shows and then aim them at kids? Why not license series like Honey and Clover, or Monster? Series that will help people to distinguish the difference between Japanese Anime and American Cartoons. But too bad companies don't appreciate the difference in cultural mediums and only look at it as capital gain.

Well, I hated the licensed Naruto before it was even licensed. Since it was so amazing, I knew deep down that it had to be licensed one day.

I just really hate it when things get lost in translation, or edited because some prude bigshot finds something "inappropriate."

The worst of all, is that to someone who doesn't care much for anime, they lump all of US into the group of newcomer losers who claim to be "huge fans" when they don't even know their "fave" character's last name and their fave technique! >_<

It really doesn't make me happy at all!

Quote by SharinganKnightthe dubbing of japanese anime to be brought to america is undeniably amied at younger audiences. Its a simple matter of culter variety.

I personally stopped watching Naruto long ago, the whole thing was just losing its touch.

I hope that really isn't the case, cause seeing the recent licenses, it's going to be torture to see them converted for children. I think more adult themed anime are starting to be shown later at night.

Signature Image

licensed Naruto can BURN! I've seen (and heard exactly a quarter of an episode) and between slight visual mods (nosebleeds just aren't the same without the blood gushing out) and HORRIBLE voice acting, I'll never go back to it!

On the other hand, almost considering dumping the Japanese....it's been about 30 eps now and nothing worth remembering has happened! I want to Itachi! Orochimaru! Sasuke! I mean c'mon, get to the good stuff!

Anyway, that's my rant
Bye

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.