Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime is a passing trend? - Minitokyo

Anime is a passing trend?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 38 total items

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

I had a little talk with an aquaintance once, about youths and fads, when we came upon the topic of anime.

What shocked me was that he gave anime an expiry date, said that anime the anime rage will only last for 2 or 3 years. Like fashion, anime would come and go. I couldn't believe my ears.

I looked around, nobody seemed to be talking about anime. Not a single mention, though the cosplay community still seem vibrant.

I fear that this may really come to pass... you think?

pffft, anime will go on forever

Bisuketto

Bisuketto

"Conversational Fountain"

I think the 2-3 year mandate is bollocks.. however, for an individual anime would certainly have some sort of shelf life. About 3-4 years ago, I used to love anime, and be envolved.. however there hasnt been too much to keep my interest these days.
Furthermore, I don't think anime is a fad (well not in Australia), there is a certain demographic that will always like anime and that demographic I believe will last through out anime's existance.

What I believe is runing anime is pokemon, CCS, digimon (those sort of mainstreems)... that bring people to anime fourms and events... its not really the anime people like to associate with (I mean we prefer hellsing, bleach, gundam "X", etc..) there will always be people like this which fluctuate anime's populatiry, however as these fads fade so will anime's presence. (this may be your point?) But meh, I think worldwide, anime will survive as a whole, thanks to the internet and fourms such as this.

Unless anime turns "reality TV" then I think there will be interest from people all over the world, and lets not forget manga...

'I set the timers for six minutes, the same six minutes you gave me, it was the least I could do for a friend'
'If it's not broken, don't fix it'
Signature

Anime had been around for ages. I don't think it's just a trend.

Saying that anime is just a trend is like saying television or movies are just a trend...

Seito

Seito

525,600 minutes

I think anime will always be around. It might just be for a person that they don't have as much time to watch or read anime/manga. (Or there happen to be no animes that have their interest or they just seem lost interest in general)

But there will always be people who be obsessed with anime. We might not be talking about it every walking minute of our lives, but it's still there.

One series might fade away like a fad (Like right now the most popular ones are like Bleach and Naruto and the ones that have been forgotten in the past by are like Inuyasha, Pokemon, Digimon)

Yes so just because someone lose interest in anime, there's always someone else how is just as obsessed. I don't think anime will die out any time soon.

yeah, it will last that long for the people who only like it because it's popular and didn't like it before the entire rage started. For people who liked it when it was still looked upon as stuff for kids, it will last forever.....thought those people might dislike it now because it's "in" right now....

I don't think anime is a passing trend. It has been here for years.
I mean I started in the late '80 and still like it, though I think some drawing styles are really ugly now, so most of the old series that I used to like are not that "cool" anymore. The only thing that's passing are the styles not anime itself.

Of course as Bisuketto said for an individual anime can have a short lifespan, but isn't that with everything?
I mean you don't have to like things that you used to like anymore, because you grow up.

i don't really think that's going to happen :P. anime has been going on since like... the 1960's? it's more like a culture than a trend. it's not going to die out like how your acquaintance said ;). people are still improving the way they make anime and it's still spreading around the world so i doubt it'll die out soon XD. and yeah, the individual animes are the ones that have short lifespans.

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

if it was individual show of course the fad will come to pass, just that there are some that lived their time and still here, titles like DBZ, CCS, SailorM, are all classics of its era and still is. Even today, people are still going for them.

This mandate and presumption of an expiry date is inaccurate, a trend dies when no one is following it, as long as there are certain individuals who spread the word and continue to seed the trend, then there will always be a trend.

Remember that one thing, when you have a trend, the most commonly known would have to be a simple trend, this sort of trend die easy, like fashion trends, they die fast and go fast.

However, for anime, it is endlessly being promoted and with each new series, a publicity is extended to the public and consider how easy advertisements are nowadays, it is harder NOT to capture the market of potential new consumers for the anime products.

I don't believe anime will last forever however, until then, there must be enough support from newcomers (which has always been there), and from old-timers, the consent and willingness to support the new.

So go and watch your anime already!

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Quote by AWOLI had a little talk with an aquaintance once, about youths and fads, when we came upon the topic of anime.

What shocked me was that he gave anime an expiry date, said that anime the anime rage will only last for 2 or 3 years. Like fashion, anime would come and go. I couldn't believe my ears.

I looked around, nobody seemed to be talking about anime. Not a single mention, though the cosplay community still seem vibrant.

I fear that this may really come to pass... you think?

There is an anime rage? Wow...I must have blinked. I'm 26 now and I have been all about the anime for 8 years atleast...so to me it's not a fad. I think my tastes in animes I watch has grown however.

It could be the "fad" you are talking about would be amongst children, show's like Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon and animes such as that targeted towards children...those are what I might classify as a "fad", simply because children will eventually grow out of them. Of course there will always be the next big thing...so who knows what it might be.

I think the prescence of anime isn't going to go away anymore, it only seems to be increasing. Anime fan base has grown exponentially over the last few years...so there are more older fans demanding more of what they like. In fact I would even say, anime doesn't get to us quick enough over here...atleast in a dubbed form that is.

It probably will fall into the realm of obscurity someday, but that day won't be for a few years. Far as I can see, the rage hasn't hit peak yet, and when it does, it'll most likely dominate North American culture as well. But like all popular things, there's a time when something better will come.

We'll just have to wait and see!

As there is anime for all the tastes, and lots of reading about it, I think is really, really unlikely this is gonna stop any time soon.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ecchi-Club | Yuri-Lovers | Kimono-Fans

i highly doubt that. anime has been around ever since i could remember. actually, i started watching animes even before i knew they were called anime. the time that animes will come to pass is when there will be no more video games or comic books in Japan... (hmm, when will that be? the end of the world?) >_<

HAHAHAHA you can tell your friend to f!@# off anime will never die!MWuahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah..(stares at your friend -.-

Seriously Dont hit kids..........THEY'VE HAVE GUNS NOW!

ionthedemon

ionthedemon

ens causa sui

i doubt it. anime has been around for a long time, i have always loved it. i don't usually talk about anime with my friends but i still love anime, i think its the exact opposite, i think the popularity of anime is increasing.
i've seen people in their forty's and older still watching anime.

Jokoro

Jokoro

Hmm...

How could anyone say that anime is a passing trend? As far as i know anime is more popular than ever now days and if anyone disagrees they can kiss my rear. Anime forever people!

natsuki-hime

natsuki-hime

"There's no place like alone"

lmaoo! i doubt that will happen animes been around for a long time and it will stay like that for a long time these days its getting more poular actully and anyone who thinks differently can f@%$ off and kiss my butt cus anime will be forever mwahahaha! :D

Signature Image
A big ThankYou 2 k1ru 4 the sweet siggy here.

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Quote by irisintherain23Anime had been around for ages. I don't think it's just a trend.

Saying that anime is just a trend is like saying television or movies are just a trend...

Good point. But movies are evolving. From black and white dramas to hollywood blockbusters. The change is there, and who knows what on earth Anime will turn into next...

Well, anime may be a passing trend in other countries, Im not sure. But here, its only just catching on, but its catching on real fast. So Im quite sure that the anime rage will still go on for some time. Anyway, its highly unlikely that anime will ever stop. Like some have already mentioned, it could probaly evolve more. And there will definitely be new and extremely good anime series coming out; the ideas and possibilites are endless. So I doubt that the rage will die soon.

Anime has story, comedy, action, mystery, horror, romance, etc... They are all of the things we face in our lives. Because of this connection, i don't think people will ever stop watching anime.

As said by the nice fellas above me, anime has been around for ages already and people are still watching them. Anime is suitable for all ages because of the vast amount of different genres available...

The art, story, and sounds have all improved significantly compared to the previous anime titles in the past... Also with the use of computers to generate cool 3D animation and graphics, it would definitely make people stay glued to the screens for the next few years to come... :D

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Would it mean that Anime would enter the realm of 3D?
There are some elements of humour which I believe 2D animation can carry out. The examples are there; we can clearly see it for ourselves.
I do not wish for Anime to become something totally different, which would likely be if it were to be assilimated into the trendy 3D animation industry.

souseta

souseta

MuPp3T*

I think 2-3 years is the spesific anime title period...
the anime itself will last longer of course
because anime is art, and art is exist since the beginning of time

nahhhh. anime will nv cease to be. not now anyway. it alr has its hands on like 90% of the youths these days. im sure tat hold wun break anytime soon,not within another 20 years.

i don't think so.
anime for many is a preference in taste. we all like different things, movies for instance, some would prefer suspense over horror, romance over action. it's the same with anime, anime is a whole unique expirience on it's own and can never be called a 'fad'. our interest with anime may pass yes, but anime will always be there, just like how japan will always be there, producing their own style of entertainment.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 38 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.