Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The Only Zettai Shonen Wallpaper Ever - Minitokyo

The Only Zettai Shonen Wallpaper Ever

page 1 of 1 14 total items

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

I've just completed this wallpaper for Zettai Shonen. I think it's pretty much done, but I wanted opinions before I posted it to the site. I was very impressed with how well it turned out. ^_^

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2961/zettaishonensmallwp0et.jpg

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

not bad. But tell us a bit more about what you did to this wall. Is the logo yours? Or did you just add text underneath it?

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Basically, this wallpaper is a double overlay of two soundtrack covers. I didn't make the logo. That came with the background cover and I just worked around it. I cleaned out track listings from the background and then I cut out the pictures of Kisa and Ayumu (in the faded background) and pasted them over the main background. Then, more cutting to fit them around the words and people. A layer opacity change and bingo, I was done. Took about four or five hours, not counting the hassle I went through finding the original scans.

so you have cleaned up the background by taking a way the track listings. which well isnt much, alittle time consuming but nt much. and cut out the 2 people from the over cover and ghosted them in the background. and te wallpaper is only about 800x600

the problem i see is that really you havent done anything to the image. you havnt made anything your self, no use of brushes, you own design ellemt such as messing with the background, the colours and so forth but just used to scan and more or less overlayed them. I think you will have to do 2 things before Mt allows this to stay up in the gallery

1st is to increase the size to 1024x768 and still have that same high quality image
2nd is to add your own design element. and that is not just they laying out of it but actuall creating/making something for the wallpaper that is yours and yours alone if not it is basically like just submitting a scan

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Well, let's see. I've also cleaned up dust and scratches. ;P

But no, the full version of this wallpaper is 1280x960. I've shrunk it down so nobody steals it. However, the idea and intitiative are mine, so isn't that enough? I've downloaded plenty of wallpapers from minitokyo that I KNOW had less work put forth than this one and they looked awesome. Isn't the point to make the wallpaper look professional and pretty and not a show of effort? Sure, effort gets bonus points, but it shouldn't be everything. -_-

yeah m8 i know what your on about. the only reason i said those things was so that if you had that covered then no one can delete or say that you didnt put effort into it. I know that cleaning images up is a pain and takes alot of time and should be given appreciation but it is not always the case. as you mentioned size it not a problem. and yes well done effects on wallpapers normally ups the download, comments and fav ratings.

thought i would just bring them points up incase some one does go harshly on you when commenting on it. i didnt mean to sound like a d**k or anything just trying to help out.

its easier being told these things before the image is posted as it stop you feeling down if you get really nasty comments which does happen.

i think i was being alittle harsh saying no design element as the position of the ghost images does work quite nice with the rest of the image and was done nicely.

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Quote by twistedfreakyeah m8 i know what your on about. the only reason i said those things was so that if you had that covered then no one can delete or say that you didnt put effort into it. I know that cleaning images up is a pain and takes alot of time and should be given appreciation but it is not always the case. as you mentioned size it not a problem. and yes well done effects on wallpapers normally ups the download, comments and fav ratings.

thought i would just bring them points up incase some one does go harshly on you when commenting on it. i didnt mean to sound like a d**k or anything just trying to help out.

its easier being told these things before the image is posted as it stop you feeling down if you get really nasty comments which does happen.

i think i was being alittle harsh saying no design element as the position of the ghost images does work quite nice with the rest of the image and was done nicely.

No, I wasn't really offended by what you said. I posted the image to this section of the site so that I could have honest opinions about my work and I'm glad that I'm receiving those opinions.

However, I would also like suggestions as to how to make my wallpaper better. I'm currently developing a new idea for a second wallpaper that would probably take a lot more work, so that would be better in and of itself. However, I really like the look of this wallpaper and I don't want to change it. Is there something that comes to mind which would show my capabilities as a wallpaper artist?

if you like the sytle of the images that you have used for that wallaper. i would say either try vectoring it or images like that you want to use or even try air brushing to get a similar softened effect like the style used to draw that.

to really start to advice as a wallpaper artis in photoshop or what efect you may do in photo shop one thing i have learned is that with out the use of the free brushes ones you make yourself of the main one the ones you download then, it makes it that much harder to advance.

i was stuck in the same loop for a while not using brushes at all and ended getting stuck as i didnt understand how others made these amazing pieces. but once you learn the art of creating and using brushes, it then opens up a door way that leads to mutliple possibilities when also used with other filters and blending mode.

Also it is best to mess about every so often with filters and blending modes so that you get a feel for what each filter can do, this way you will have a better idea in the future about how to make a certain kind of background or effect that you may be after

last but not least always try and put at least an hour or so in a week, even if you dont have an idea for a wallpaper, as it keeps you fresh and upto date with the software.

hope that helps

Signature Image

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

Here's the problem: Cleaning scans take time, but if all you do is clean the scan it still belongs in the scan section, not the wall section. Everyone has to clean the images they use, and most people go further and extract the image and create a bg too.

Another thing is that ghosted images are still considered a lower effort, and more importantly low quality, way of filling in space. The effect of one image over another is very messy.

Hope this helps. :)

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Here's something I was thinking about. What if I take the whole wall and make it smaller, then include a collage of scans and screens around the border as a nice way of framing the middle piece that I've done? Sort of like a photo-gallery style wallpaper that's really popular and simple.

Another thing, though. I'm a bigtime hit with most of my friends at college because I can make these kinds of custom wallpapers for them. I've asked for suggestions from THEM to improve this wallpaper and they say that I shouldn't change anything. However, I know that I want to put forth more effort. At the same time, I have many satisfied "fans." It's a weird situation for sure. I look at it this way: my at home friends appreciate me, but my online community thinks I'm lazy. ;P

this is noramlly due to them being your friends. uless your friends dsign them self they will just think that it is good and be thankfull for the effort you have put into to make them for them.

How ever working with people who do wallpapers as well as phot manipulations and general designs or of critics of the design world then that is where you get a more honest opinion. due to the courses i have taken over the past few years the friends i have made through them dont just say they like it but can give critisim of where it could be improved where as friends and family who dont deisgn as such dont give that they just appreaciate the effect and the look of it.

as for that boarder idea. i think blusake will agree as i have seen this about abit. using screenshots in that whay is classed as a low effort way of taking up some space.

i would just play about with some effects and random ideas that yu come up with and see what works

[EDIT]

this is an extremly quick 2 mins edit just to quickly show you. just by adding that background the image then becomes more yours that just a scan. of course you would cut t out better and add more that just that. maybe cut out the title and mess about with that as well
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/TwistedFreak/zettaishonensmallwp0et9edit0.jpg

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Hrrmm. The edited example that you did is interesting in its own way, but I don't really care for those styles of wallpapers personally. I'll get back to this topic later once I've implemented my idea and I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

I know some people like walls with screenshots and scan cutouts, but those are considered low quality and low effort ways to fill space, at least by MT standards.

It seems that you prefer scenic, so why not try building your own bg? Ningen's has a good grass tutorial, and Imanimetions.net is another good place to start.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

hitsugaya18

hitsugaya18

Ice Swordsman

not a bad image. i like the effort you put forward on your wallpapers. good job

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.