Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Culture and Religion... why do pepople mix it up? - Minitokyo

Culture and Religion... why do pepople mix it up?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Blueheart

Blueheart

Wapy's sister

Culture and Religion are very times mixed up. why do people critic a culture when, sometimes, they are talking about religion...

Signature
	Image .:Proud Hokage of Naruto:.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

I think part of the definition of culture is what people believe in. I think religion would fall under this catagory.

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I'd say it's 'cause religion is a subsection of culture. You can say that culture is the active definition (i.e. you define yourself by what you do) of social groups. They derive their identity out of what they do (rituals, customs, ideology) and what they believe in. That is all part of culture. Religion is just one of the many facets of culture.

These days, however, with the global village, religion (as well as other facets of culture) has crossed social boudries. Americans (adherents, o.a., to the supposed Western culture) can be hindus, bhuddists, etc. You have Crhistians (also a supposed Western cultural facet) all over the place.

Religion merely started as a subsection of culture, but these days its carte blanche - you can almost mix and match your own cultural preferance.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

It depends on the area that you live in, I think. There are a lot of places where your religion and culture are the same. A lot of the Middle East's culture is based around their religion. And the same is true for most Western Cultures, but not in the same severity. An American is different from a German which are both different from Christians.

Sometimes culture can be based from religion . . . for example, the idea that women are lesser than men stems from religious beliefs.

Quote by BlueheartCulture and Religion are very times mixed up. why do people critic a culture when, sometimes, they are talking about religion...

I agree, that's why many people become victimize for it. E.G: Criticizing and discriminitating the Muslims. (You know the reasons already)

Quote by KyelorSometimes culture can be based from religion . . . for example, the idea that women are lesser than men stems from religious beliefs.

Or it can be the other way around. In order to establish a strong foothold in a society, Religions also derive some customs and traditions from the local culture. They need to create and acceptable image of themself so they have to mould in common believes too.

Because they're often so closely linked together that it's difficult to distinguish one from another. In recent years Islam has fallen victim to this. By nature it is a peaceful faith, but the actions of its people have caused people to see it only through the same lens of hatred that they look upon the entire culture with

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

No need to resurrect a thread that has been dead for over a year. . .

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.