Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Minitokyo is still serving corrupt images.... - Minitokyo

Minitokyo is still serving corrupt images....

page 1 of 1 10 total items

This issue was reported before but no one in that thread seemed to realize the seriousness of the issue, and it's now closed to replies. There are three reasons I can think of why this is a very bad thing:

*The footer that is added to each image includes a number for how long PHP took to serve the page - this number is different every time, so that means every copy of the image that people get will be slightly different and will have a different hash. This makes automated searching for duplicates in your collection much more difficult, and any site people might upload things to later that does dupe checking won't be able to detect duplicate images from Minitokyo.

*The footer's presence means that all the images are being served through PHP, which is unnecessary and will place a great additional processing burden on the server (for example, one image I saved says "43.982sec. (44% PHP, 56% SQL)" which is a considerable amount of processing time).

*The images can't be cached because they're dynamically served, so the whole image downloads again when you right click, save as, which means Minitokyo uses double the bandwidth for every image.

I may be wrong about the last two because I don't know how Minitokyo is set up technically (maybe it's retrieving the images from a database rather than a flat directory) but the first could still cause significant problems if it's not fixed soon and lots of these corrupt images get out into the wild (so to speak).

yea, i have no idea what all that is about, but im fairly new here, so i havent got any experience with it......

Im using Firefox and I also have to download every pic twice to save it. I think this started about 1 or 2 months ago. Before that it wasn't that way.

Xykakao. nozekitz

Quote by DopefishJustinThis issue was reported before but no one in that thread seemed to realize the seriousness of the issue, and it's now closed to replies.

thank god, there are at least SOME other people with a clue on MT...

Quote by DopefishJustinevery copy of the image that people get will be slightly different

that's what bugs me most about it too... and what nobody seems to understand...

Quote by DopefishJustinThe images can't be cached because they're dynamically served

this can actually be fixed by sending the proper headers...
and it's the thing *I* would care least about, because it seems with the new system, once you downloaded an image, you can download the image itself as often as you want without quota cost - their bandwidth, not mine

another detail that took me a while to notice:
that php script sends a content-length header, and the junk footer data is appened beyond the specified Content-Length
i have not done extensive tests (and won't), but it seems that in most cases browsers respect the content-length and discard the extra data... but still in many cases i got corrupt files, so that's nothing to be relied upon

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

The image you submissed entitled What's her name. was removed from Minitokyo, because Minitokyo did not have a to fully complete the creation of your submission. This can be caused by one or more of the following:

- Loss of connection either due to your ISP or the Minitokyo server during the process of uploading.

WRONG.

- Cancellation of the upload process by the user before completion.

WRONG.

- Corrupt file upload. The file you were trying to upload is corrupted. Check it's integrity by previewing it.

WRONG.
- Accidental duplication. Sometimes the file you upload will be posted twice, therefore one of your uploads will be removed. If this is the case, ignore the following statement.

WRONG.

Is MT falling apart ? <grin>
there still must be some corruption somewhere.

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

Quote by TaurecThe image you submissed entitled What's her name. was removed from Minitokyo, because Minitokyo did not have a to fully complete the creation of your submission. This can be caused by one or more of the following:
Is MT falling apart ? <grin>
there still must be some corruption somewhere.

that is definitely completely unrelated to the topic of this thread
(which deals with images being corrupted by MY as it SENDS them to people downloading them)

(the cause of your error depends on how exactly MT checks images for completeness...
i would guess that most lilkely you are trying to upload a slightly corrupt file, that still displays ok but has a broken jpeg image stream,
either post the image elsehwere and link it, or just throw it at a jpeg decoder that does not silently ignore errors (like most do);
but please not in this thread, as to not push it offtopic yet again...)

^^^
IMO, that is relevant, it proves (assuming it to be true) that the corruption is occuring on MT's servers, not during the upload/download process.

But yeah, be sure to check it first and try the transfer multiple times before saying it doesn't work for sure.

That said, downloads are sent twice in many cases as the cache expiry data is set to years ago in some cases, which would waste heaps of bandwidth.

Also the fact that each image has a unique checksum is rather annoying as it means that it is really difficult to do dulpicate checking, especially since the naming format has changed so I can't use namechecks to remove dupes either. Adding useless data to the JPEG is just a huge waste of processing power plus just causes difficulty for power users.

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Quote by Yuffie07 (the cause of your error depends on how exactly MT checks images for completeness...i would guess that most lilkely you are trying to upload a slightly corrupt file

WRONG ! <grin>

Those wallpapers were there since I uploaded them ~109 weeks ago.
So something else made them corrupt and since this thread is about image corruption I decided not to open a new thread but to use this one ....

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

Possbily there is HD damage on MT's server, that could accound for this as once a hard drive starts encountering bad sectors, it starts degrading quickly. Maybe they should take MT down for a little bit to run some diagnostics on the hardware.

While taking the site down sucks, it is better than losing thousands of scans and walls.

DojiHiko

Natsume Maya addict

Hmm, I have this problem too where it seems firefox has to download it twice. There is one solution that I use to get around it. It's not very effective but it works. When the picture loads up, instead of saving it set it as your wallpaper(using firefox, should be doable with other browsers, but I haven't tried.). Go into your c:\WINDOWS or wherever you have it folder and copy the "Firefox Wallpaper.bmp" file from there. That should be the picture in the BMP format, but you can convert it to jpg afterwards it. Not effective, but it works

Signature

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Bug Reports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.