Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Shakugan Flaming Frames - Minitokyo

Shakugan Flaming Frames

page 1 of 1 19 total items

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

I've put a lot of work into the textures on this wallpaper and I've edited two difficult scans to fit with the style. I'm not sure if there is much more I can do with this project. Suggestions, please.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7721/framesworkingsample1kr.jpg

the background is quite nice but the flame stands out too much and doesnt seem to be apartt of the image, the frames around the characters seem a little unnecessary and the scan on the left looks like it would fit nicely onto the background by itself with some other effecs around the sword like magic/slash marks/glow like a power up or something. The effect you have use on that scan as well i feel it to be unnecessary.

hope that helps you abit

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Hrmm. Well, let me tell you a few of my design ideas when I was working on this wallpaper. First, I made the frames to border these scans and make them look like actual "traditional" works of art (that's also the reason I have the Shana scans with a paint style on them). The background came second and I designed it to fit with the frames and look like an art exhibit. I'm glad that you said the flames look disconnected from the background. That's what I was going for. I really wanted that side to stand out. I was trying to capture two moods of Shana for this wallpaper and it seems that I've been sucessful on that. However, personally, I think the background stands out too much. I'm going to try and hide it better for my final version.

From your suggestions it seems like you want me to do a different design altogether. Writing this reply has given me some ideas, so don't think I'm ignoring you. I'll make some changes and do a revision.

np i see where you are coming from and the concept is nice, i just like that left scan and would want to incorporate it into the background some other way or another wallpaper with similar style background :D

Signature Image

starrliteangel

starrliteangel

Rabi to rabu rabu <3

its a really good wallpaper, but I think the frames around the pictures dont really fit. maybe its because they have shadows..i cant seem to figure it out, but the picture frames just dont seem to fit. the flame is effect in the background is awesome and it looks like its supposed to be part of the pic. aggghh its just those picture frames! theres something about them. its like theyre not supposed to be in it. what about....if you put those flames infront of the pictures too. i think what the problem is, is that you have the whole background looking kind of..not grundgy, but a brown themed color... but then out of nowhere you have those 2 pics infront that have colors that cant be found anywhere else in the wallpaper. I guess what im trying to say is to either
1. make the frames look a little more "destroyed" or worn out looking and not so perfect and new looking

OR

2. put colors that are in the two pictures into other parts of the bg instead of just a monotone

OR

3. dont center the frames/characters - centering the frames/characters makes the artwork look cheap...its what i learned in art this year..that you never center pictures in art or else it doesnt look balanced and the eye focuses on the center.

OR

4. put the flames infront of the pics

if it was my wallpaper, id probably move around the frames a little bit to another place in the pic, make them a smaller size, put the flames infront of the one girl with the red hair (Shana?). and then i would probably make the frames look a little more worn out looking (like adding texture, or using grundge brushes on them).
hope this helps a little!

Signature Image
avatar and sigimg by - kawaii-chicken the greatness

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

This is a good idea. My take on it:

- ditch the frames. Distress the edges of the scans instead.
- put the flames over the top of the scans, that will fit with the distressed edges.
- don't center the images. Starliteangel is right on that.

From experience I would suggest doing 2 separate walls, one with each scan instead of fitting them in together.

I hope that helps a little.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Oh! Some good ideas! I never thought of stressing the frames. You're absolutely right. The frames really do jump out because they're too "clean." I'm definitely going to age the wood so that it looks woody. Secondly, the fire is in the background because that's the boring side of the background. Third, the pictures technically aren't centered. I've spaced them at thirds in the wallpaper (starrliteangel I know exactly what you're talking about with the whole "law of thirds" when it comes to art). The centers of the pictures lie at thirds so that your eyes look at both of them at the same time. Here's a suggestion: try looking at both pictures and the background. It's really easy on the eyes this way, isn't it? But I'll try putting flames over the picture as well. That might work for what I'm trying to accomplish. Either way, here's another revision that I've finished. The background is the only difference, though. I'll take some of those suggestions and make it work. Thanks everyone.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3493/framesworkingsample8tp.jpg

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

I have to say that the composition of this wall could be improved. Putting character extracts in the bg, instead of framed pics, might be more interesting, since the flame is blent into the bg well. However, if the idea is that these framed pics are in a burning room, I suggest that you put the pics on the wall, with the frame in front. They would blend into the bg more like that.

Also, it seems that the chara scans are over-filtered; they're noticeably smart-blurred or posturized, which really lowers their image quality.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Okay. I've taken some suggestions, even though I don't really want to, and I've melded several of them into the same wallpaper for comparison. Flames on the left are now on top of an un-posterized scan with a crackled wood frame. Personally, the only part of that I like is the crackled wood. With the blending I have on the flames, it makes it really hard to get the right effect if they are on top of the picture (which is what I wanted to demonstrate). Also, if I don't posterize the pictures, they loose that "painted artwork" effect that I was going for (I don't think that's a loss of image quality at all). I've left the right side the same so that you can see the differences a little better. I'd like some input as to what parts people like and which parts don't work (remember, this is just a comparision wallpaper and not a final version). Thanks.

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/8762/framesworkingsample4vc.jpg

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

I like the flames. Have you experimented with desaturating the colors of the pic rather than posterizing? If you combine that with maybe a filter that will distress the image just a little, it would still have the image quality but look more like a painted image.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

I'm still a bit confused about the composition here. The flame along the sides of the frame are nicely blent in, but the flame at the bottom is cut off and disrupts the flow.

Signature Image

Wow thats really nice... I wish it was real... i like to put it up somewhere haha

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Well, I'm pretty much set now on the final version of this wallpaper. The link is below. I can still try some last minute tweaks if anyone has major qualms they'd like to share. Basically, I've messed a little with the flames in front of the left picture. Then, I put a woody texture on the frames I had created earlier and I made the left one much more strained from the frames. I've kept the postered edges on the cleaned scans because I like the idea that these are actual paintings and not just regular old scans hanging on the wall. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that I'd like to do. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4894/framesworkingwoodyframes1wk.jpg

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

Have to say the chara images still look very low quality, very posturized. Also, it's a bit strange that one frame is in flames and the other isn't.

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Quote by bluSakeHave to say the chara images still look very low quality, very posturized. Also, it's a bit strange that one frame is in flames and the other isn't.

bluSake, my wallpaper was denied. Why? I've submitted several other wallpapers to Minitokyo that were
-less work Burning Memories by MarlinWahoo
-lesser clarity
-poorer concept To Heart Wars Episode II Attack of the Fangirls by MarlinWahoo

and all of those wallpapers were accepted by Minitokyo, but Flaming Motif was deleted. The fact that my wallpaper received a positive comment within four hours of being posted also makes me very upset that it was denied. Thank you for your time.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3985/flamingmotif7qp.jpg

S13

Quote by MarlinWahoo

Quote by bluSakeHave to say the chara images still look very low quality, very posturized. Also, it's a bit strange that one frame is in flames and the other isn't.

bluSake, my wallpaper was denied. Why? I've submitted several other wallpapers to Minitokyo that were
-less work Burning Memories by MarlinWahoo
-lesser clarity
-poorer concept To Heart Wars Episode II Attack of the Fangirls by MarlinWahoo

and all of those wallpapers were accepted by Minitokyo, but Flaming Motif was deleted. The fact that my wallpaper received a positive comment within four hours of being posted also makes me very upset that it was denied. Thank you for your time.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3985/flamingmotif7qp.jpg

i think it may have been deleted since it doesn't seem like any changes were made after receiving blusake's comment. the frame on the right isn't in flames while the other is burning...the character images aren't very "clean" looking although i know you made them look the way they are now...

if it is of any consolation -- i've had a wallpaper get added to favorites and still get deleted =P

Hmm, i think it looks good enough for a wall :)
Shana's cuteness are just heart-warming X-P

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

I think the main problem is the low chara scan quality. Like I said before, the chara images are too posturized. Another problem is that the composition doesn't entirely make sense.

While you may not be as attached to the other walls you linked, I have to say that they are more aesthetically appealing.

I know what it feels like to get a wall deleted; it happened to me more than once. I hope it doesn't prevent you from trying again in future. :)

Signature Image

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Hrrmm. I'm also upset about the fact that I justified why I composed the wallpaper the way I did. The main idea was for this to look like hand-drawn images (something I have no talent for). Having framed paintings instead of framed scans is a much more interesting concept in my opinion. Also, the flames are only on the left because that's shana's "flame" form. I was trying to make it contrast between those two forms. Having my wallpaper deleted isn't going to affect me making more wallpapers in the future. If anyone here wants the full version of my wallpaper, it's available on my website under the wallpaper section. There are a few more walls that I've made as well so if you like my work, I'd suggest you check it out.

Just go into my profile.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.