Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 When did ghosting become a negative thing? - Minitokyo

When did ghosting become a negative thing?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

The topic pretty much speaks for itself. I just wanna know why suddenly using a ghosted image in a wallpaper is a bad thing. Like anything else, it can be used properly and for a good effect. Im sure..as usual..there`s a reason behind it(now whether its LOGICAL or not is another question..but logic seldom works with humans..)

Either way, someone have an idea?

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

well, in my point of view, ghosting is surely not something recommended unless you really know how to blend it in.
Most people (new wallers especially) take a bunch of screen caps and paste a chosted image on top.
I myself started a few walls back a year ago, before I dwelled into walling more professionally with ghosting walls. And well, these personally were never shown in minitokyo and frankly, they were teh sh*t.
The reason why ghosting has a generally bad image is cause of its cheap effect like appearance. Much like how clouds render is never a good thing until you really learn how to use it.

Now, ghosting itself is not bad, but most images ghosted upon are usually blown up by several 100x times, this highly decreases the effort and quality, if you do ghost, I would always suggest getting a uber large scan to play with, extract it nicely, clean it up and then use it.

Until a waller can understand the uses and importances of executing these effects, ghosting will always have a bad name.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

the real question here is, "can you use it properly?"

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Well, as far as using the clouds renders go, that usually ends up being composited into some OTHER part of the wall..I usually make `em myself or use many combos of cloud brushes layered, erased, opaqued, overlaid, etc.

As far as ghosting goes, the one may perhaps have been sketchy, sure it was an early wall. But the other one had a *huge* scan as a base..I had to scan the thing DOWN. It was off-set to the right, and faded just enough to suggest it was there, a main character who had influenced the lives of the three characters I was using in the wall.

It just seems very arbitrary, as usual like all things around here.

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Most often I see it used as cheap filler for blank space on a wall. I really don't like when people use the same image at twice the size as the ghost.

It can be handy for screening less elite walls in the gallery.

Signature Image

Quote by Devildudewell, in my point of view, ghosting is surely not something recommended unless you really know how to blend it in.
Most people (new wallers especially) take a bunch of screen caps and paste a chosted image on top.
I myself started a few walls back a year ago, before I dwelled into walling more professionally with ghosting walls. And well, these personally were never shown in minitokyo and frankly, they were teh sh*t.
The reason why ghosting has a generally bad image is cause of its cheap effect like appearance. Much like how clouds render is never a good thing until you really learn how to use it.

Now, ghosting itself is not bad, but most images ghosted upon are usually blown up by several 100x times, this highly decreases the effort and quality, if you do ghost, I would always suggest getting a uber large scan to play with, extract it nicely, clean it up and then use it.

Until a waller can understand the uses and importances of executing these effects, ghosting will always have a bad name.

I agree with Devildude...I think it's not so much ghosting itself as an effect that is frowned upon...but the simple truth is it's often poorly used by new wallers to fill up space without real effort
I'm sure that ghosting can be used well by a good waller but there are far too many ways it can be used poorly
Beyond the image quality question...it does tend to suggest that less planning and thought was put into the wall background...if a closer look shows that there was a deliberate artistic reason for the choice then I'm sure that the effect would not be a mark against a good wall...but the large majority of walls that use ghosting would have trouble meeting that standard

While not everyone has the same artistic taste, you can't really call the general guidelines completely arbitrary

AWOL

AWOL

"SING IT EASY!"

Like many said; many do not know how to use ghosting.

Normally ghosting is used to enlarge the propotions of an already exsisting character in hopes to make that cahracter stand out. However, this backfires since it is largely redundant;
we already got him there, so why do we need another one?

Ghosting usuasally hints that the artist is merely trying to fill up space, and has no idea what to fill up the background with.

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31330242/

this here is an example of great ghosting, (at least to my idea), if you can do this, it generally is a good effect.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

PhoenixNox

PhoenixNox

Psychotic Ender

sure it can look good, but 90% of the time it doesn't. its a cheap effect applied mainly by people new to photoshop. it just has the problem of being easy to use but difficult to use well.

r e v o l u t i o n | c o n v o l u t i o n | e x s p e c t a t i o n | d e s p e r a t i o n
Signature
Halo-2|TheGrungeFamily|doujin-arena|doujinshi-support-club|death-note|TheBattleRoom

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.