Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The 10 Commandments and Reality. What Irony! - Minitokyo

The 10 Commandments and Reality. What Irony!

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

We all know 'bout 10 Commandments and its contents. However, do you still implement it in your daily life? Is watching anime more important than attending church? Do you obey your parents? Have you ever want to own your friend's cool belongings?

Look at the world today, and see humankind apply the Comds. in "different style":
1st: Money, work, and anime seem to be everything for you.
2nd: Those pagans...
3rd: "I swear in name of *** that I didn't do that!" Fact: the opposite.
4th: The church is getting emptier and emptier each week.
5th: "A woman was killed by her own son." It's not rare in newspaper.
6th: WWI, WWII, Second Gulf War.
7th: In USA, if you're still a virgin at your wedding, then YOU'RE ODD.
8th: What will you do if you saw US$ 10 in street?
9th: If you say that you've never lied, then it will be your biggest lie :)
10th: I'm speechless.

So, what am I trying to say? Well, you know all the contents, and well aware that it's given to control our behavior. Lord Jesus had summarized them into 2 Most Important Laws. And yet, why do we keep offending it? It's obvious now, why other religion may find us Christians as hypocrite. And that explains why USA is so much hated by everyone.

What's your opinion?

... I think you mix quite different things.

... ok first not all of you American are Christian, not all the Christian follow strictly what the religions say. Different good reasons can conflict with each other.

"And that explains why USA is so much hated by everyone. " <- It makes me wonder how you can conclude that, after 11 september 2001 most of the countries were sad but your president just decided to spend this sympathy. And sorry there's a big difference between hating a country and hating its gouvernment.

There was an english pollster that said that approximately 20 % of the english hate the American os the USA, I don't remember which one but 80 % of the english hate the actual american government or Bush, but some people (like Tony Blair) think it's great to mix the two... like it seems to me it was unpatriotic for an american after 09/11 to criticize your president. I mean most of the current disliking isn't antia-americanism but anti-GeorgesWBushism.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

Quote by Bumble-BeeWe all know 'bout 10 Commandments and its contents. However, do you still implement it in your daily life? Is watching anime more important than attending church? Do you obey your parents? Have you ever want to own your friend's cool belongings?

Look at the world today, and see humankind apply the Comds. in "different style":
1st: Money, work, and anime seem to be everything for you.
2nd: Those pagans...
3rd: "I swear in name of *** that I didn't do that!" Fact: the opposite.
4th: The church is getting emptier and emptier each week.
5th: "A woman was killed by her own son." It's not rare in newspaper.
6th: WWI, WWII, Second Gulf War.
7th: In USA, if you're still a virgin at your wedding, then YOU'RE ODD.
8th: What will you do if you saw US$ 10 in street?
9th: If you say that you've never lied, then it will be your biggest lie :)
10th: I'm speechless.

So, what am I trying to say? Well, you know all the contents, and well aware that it's given to control our behavior. Lord Jesus had summarized them into 2 Most Important Laws. And yet, why do we keep offending it? It's obvious now, why other religion may find us Christians as hypocrite. And that explains why USA is so much hated by everyone.

What's your opinion?

1. Huh? Christians still worship only God even if they have other things to do in their free time.
2. Those silly intolerant Christians... (referring to Christians like you).
3. Every Christian lies when they swear on the name of their god. Nice generalization.
4. So...? Seems like a pointless commandment to me.
5. I'd be a Christian if I listened to my parents. Sorry, this one is ageist and makes the assumption that all children will have views that are less reasonable than those of their parents. It's less rare to see, "mother murders her son" than "son murders her mother" I'd think.
6. Woah, you listed wars. Of course God followed this commandment, for an example see Acts 5:1 through 5:11.
7. Cool. I'm planning on remaining a virgin for the rest of my life considering the fact that I'm antisexual. You're generalizations are fun.
8. First of all stealing and picking up something someone dropped are two very different things. I'd probably see if someone dropped it and if I didn't see the person who dropped it I'd probably keep it.
9. I'm assuming you're perfect and have never lied, right? Sometimes can be useful and a good thing. Totalitarian views like this is what make people dislike Christianity.
10. I envy your stupidity (sarcasm).

You're really good with your generalizations, everyone must hate the U.S.! Just because we have an idiot (Christian) President and a bunch of bigot Christian activists doesn't mean our country is bad. Next time you use the internet think about the U.S. Department of Defense. Most modern innovations come from basically the U.S. or Japan, the U.S. has the fastest supercomputer, the Blue Gene, while Japan has the Earth Simulator.
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5918025.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene
Older article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4379261.stm

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Quote by alexjohnc3the U.S. has the fastest supercomputer, the Blue Gene, while Japan has the Earth Simulator.

Personally I don't having the fastest computer is really important. What's important is what has it been used for and how has it affect human lifestyle? Computers aren't geniuses. They can't think. They can't suddenly just come up with a cure for cancer all on their own.

"ASC Purple and Blue Gene/L cost $290 million. Both will be used for nuclear weapons simulations and other computationally demanding tasks."

Another thing. The basic premise of Blue Gene is just sticking a crapload of CPUs together and link them so they can work together. "Blue Gene (unveiled October 27th, 2005) contains 131,072 processor cores, yet each of these cores are quite similar to those found in many mid-performance computers (PowerPC 440)."

It's not too difficult to do but it is extremely costly. Obviously American has the biggest pocket considering we have been running a huge budget defict ever since Clinton. Even if we don't take into consideration Katrina and Iraq we are still running a deficit.

There are differeing views on Christianity even from Christians themselves. Consider all the various sects. I don't think all Christians should be expected to follow the 10 Commandments. It is unreasonable. Also not all Christians act in the manner you describe. The majority are quite reasonable and nice people.

It's just the few who are incredibly intolerant and vocal about it that gives Christians a bad name. We're all allowed our opinion.

And that's my two yen.

Bumble-Bee had insulted the U.S. so I gave an example of an innovation that the U.S. has made. You might also be interested in the fact that IBM made the Blue Gene, not the U.S. government (althought the DOE is partially funding the project).

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by alexjohnc3Bumble-Bee had insulted the U.S.

Insult? I don't say that... I know many good things come from USA as well (Blue Gene, for ex.), however, in world eyes, bad things of them weigh more. As there's a saying in my country: One drop of indigo stains a whole cauldron of milk. Guess the meaning.

Of course you didn't say you insulted the U.S. If I called someone an idiot would I saying, "I'm insulting you! You're an idiot!"? Guess what Bumble-Bee, you aren't the one who decides everyone's view of the U.S. in the world. There are bound to be differing opinions, but let's keep the anti-U.S. crap out of a thread discussing the use of the Ten Commandments (or rather lack of use as you are trying to point out with this thread).

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

Quote by alexjohnc3
1. Huh? Christians still worship only God even if they have other things to do in their free time.
2. Those silly intolerant Christians... (referring to Christians like you).
3. Every Christian lies when they swear on the name of their god. Nice generalization.
4. So...? Seems like a pointless commandment to me.
5. I'd be a Christian if I listened to my parents. Sorry, this one is ageist and makes the assumption that all children will have views that are less reasonable than those of their parents. It's less rare to see, "mother murders her son" than "son murders her mother" I'd think.
6. Woah, you listed wars. Of course God followed this commandment, for an example see Acts 5:1 through 5:11.
7. Cool. I'm planning on remaining a virgin for the rest of my life considering the fact that I'm antisexual. You're generalizations are fun.
8. First of all stealing and picking up something someone dropped are two very different things. I'd probably see if someone dropped it and if I didn't see the person who dropped it I'd probably keep it.
9. I'm assuming you're perfect and have never lied, right? Sometimes can be useful and a good thing. Totalitarian views like this is what make people dislike Christianity.
10. I envy your stupidity (sarcasm).

You're really good with your generalizations, everyone must hate the U.S.! Just because we have an idiot (Christian) President and a bunch of bigot Christian activists doesn't mean our country is bad. Next time you use the internet think about the U.S. Department of Defense. Most modern innovations come from basically the U.S. or Japan, the U.S. has the fastest supercomputer, the Blue Gene, while Japan has the Earth Simulator.
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5918025.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene
Older article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4379261.stm

I salute you for saying what I would just be too lazy to type out myself. Man oh man religion, or the people that call themselves religious, just make me mad nowadays.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

I want my burger, frys, and coke; toss this thread out the window; and live my life being oblivious to everything outside my universe, cause I'm the shit... lol

-repeat-

rslgto

rslgto

Der Wille zur Macht

well you are right but no not everyone believes in the whole christian thing. I will say that 99.9% of the christians i've come accross are hypocrites.

"Condemn me, it does not matter. History will absolve me!" - Fidel Castro

~Run Kasumi Run!~

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

You're mixing stuff up here. And you got most of the Commandments wrong.

Quote: 1st: Money, work, and anime seem to be everything for you.

Do you consider them gods? Do you pray to them to help you pass a subject you didn't study for?

Quote: 2nd: Those pagans...

What about them? Do you make idols of them and then worship it?

Quote: 3rd: "I swear in name of *** that I didn't do that!" Fact: the opposite.

Point taken.

Quote: 4th: The church is getting emptier and emptier each week.

Point taken, although it does say the 7th day and in the Western Calender Saturday is the 7th day of the week. Sunday's the first. Doesn't say you must worship. Just keep it holy and not work. Show me any school kid that breaks this one.

Quote: 5th: "A woman was killed by her own son." It's not rare in newspaper.

The newspaper also have political scandals, sport events and a joke section. Whats your point?

Quote: 6th: WWI, WWII, Second Gulf War.

Gosh, are those the only wars we ever had? As if there aren't any wars or murders sanctioned by God in the Old Testament. Anyway, war techniquely doesn't count as murder.

Quote: 7th: In USA, if you're still a virgin at your wedding, then YOU'RE ODD.

It said adultary! What you do before you are married is your problem, but afterwards (it says) you must be faithfull.

Quote: 8th: What will you do if you saw US$ 10 in street?

Picking up something that lies in the street is not stealing. Even the property laws cover that one.

Quote: 9th: If you say that you've never lied, then it will be your biggest lie :)

Once again, it refers to False Accusations! If you accuse someone wrongly! Not just claiming innocence while your hand is in the cookie jar, but saying the dog did it.

Quote: 10th: I'm speechless.

Point taken, but there is a difference between coveting someting belonging to someone, and actualy not minding to own it yourself. Covet means to "greatly desire" something (Oxford Reference Dictionary). Its like having sleepless nights, imagining that you own it, wishing ill on the owner so that he/she my bequeath it to you.

Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but self flagelation (that means you punish yourself) by pointing the finger to Christians hypocracy when you don't even get the Commandments straight isn't going to work. Anywa, as they have already said, USA does NOT equal Christianity. Thats like saying Islam equals Arab. Just one fifth of all Muslims are Arabian (Answers.com).

I must say that I somewhat choke at your gall to claim that the world hate Christians and therefore hates Americans. I mean, do you even read the papers?

I personally have no opinion about America's stand on international politics. I don't judge. I'm not hating anyone or any country. My view is, this is the way things are, what are you gonna do about it? Its pointless to hate another country just because it's succesful or the country able to spend most of its own resources on meddeling in other countries.

And no, I didn't try to protect christians 'cuase I myself am one (if I could be called one), I merely poked holes in your weak arguments.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Actually... it would have been a good idea for you to post the original 10 commandments... coz I sure as hell don't know them all

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

Hevendor

Hevendor

GIMME CASH

After reading this entire thread,I have come to one conclusion.
11th:Bumble-bee is a hypocryte.

yuri-ecchi-lovers

mountain

mountain

None

"So, what am I trying to say? Well, you know all the contents, and well aware that it's given to control our behavior. Lord Jesus had summarized them into 2 Most Important Laws. And yet, why do we keep offending it? It's obvious now, why other religion may find us Christians as hypocrite. And that explains why USA is so much hated by everyone."

I think christians keep offending it because the laws are too hard to follow or are impossible to follow according to some people. I don't think many ppl see christens as hypocrites, hypocrites are ppl who criticise other ppl on things they do not do themselves. christens these days don't follow the rules themselves however they don't ask other people to follow.

I don't think USA is hated because they are christen, its because of all the other crap they do (like iraq war, they're ignorance for other nation, their I'm the top of the world attitude)

anyway, christens these days generally obey one commandment ---> that is to believe in JC
I only know of like 1 church that actually bothers to enforce any biblical principles. tell me if u know any. so u can't really blame christianity for much.

ten commandments
1. luv God with all
2. dun make other images for worship
3. dun use God name in vain
4. go2 church on Sabbath
5. honor parent
6. dun kill/murder
7. no adultery (although I think original text also meant no sex b4 marriage)
8. dun steal
9. no false testimony
10. don't covet

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by mountain
I don't think USA is hated because they are christen, its because of all the other crap they do (like iraq war, they're ignorance for other nation, their I'm the top of the world attitude)

Sorry, not (and never, I swear!) to offend. But in my country (where majority are non-Christians), they identify majority of Americans as Christians. Many dictionaries show that 80 % (roughly 50 % Protestant and 30 % Roman Catholic) of them are Christians. Unfortunately, they take it too literally. As the result, when they see that American soldiers invaded Iraq, did terrible things in Abu Ghraib, and of course their bossy attitude, one of their responses is "Is that something Christians do? How disgusting!"

Sorry, I'm not part of them. Insulting another country just isn't my style. I admire America. It is source of many gifted scientists and Nobel laureates (while my country is great in population only). They honor pluralism (something rare in my place). And many other reasons. See? I always use capital letter to mention another country. I know it is somehow unreasonable...

gekiganger

Reckless Flyer

my opinion is that generalization would not help since most people don't really think of the very same thing. there is something always different in each type. not entirely the same :D. and not all are of the same religion

Rock n Roll FIRE!!
:D SIG DISABLED :D
Rock n Roll FIRE!!

hmmm... You make interesting talk talk topic.
Yeah, the World is a hypocrite. It's all money, money, money, power....
The US government is messed up, but the friends Ive made here in university who are erasmus students are so nice.

Good people are so rare. Take Alan Sheare, what a great man. Just retired, I hope he takes some time to enjoy himself, always playing for home, fanily, and never wanting fame, riches...

man.. i think you picks some peaple as exemples..
and make this exemples some kind of thuth..

if you searched for ppl that follows the 10 comands..
you'll find..
if you searched for ppl that doesn't..
you'll find..

its a fact that MOST of the ppl don't..
but some still do..

so pls don't be pissed cause almost everyone is an hypocrit..
just stay with those who aren't.. XD
and try to do something for those who are..

instead of just acusing.. XD

Farica

Farica

**lady of peace**

10 commandments -right for christians- but, doesn't Jesus give us the conclusion with it? So for Christians just must:

1. love God with all of our heart, soul, and brain.
2. love other people like we love ourself.

^^
not hard huh?

One, if you love God, you will live better (maybe like ten comandments, because it IS in regulations of your country too, right? It is good things..)

Two, if you love God, you will love yourself, that you will love His creature include YOU!

Three, if you love yourself, it is easy to love others. That you will not behave to other if you didn't want to behaved same thing by others.

SIMPLY isn't it? ^^
LOGICAL too! ;p

bye! God loves U^^

love.. is unlimited

That was interesting. Christians sure have fun rules, but I think I'll stick to George Carlin's commandments.

God knows people aren't perfect; that they'll break the commandments sometime or another. This is why Jesus died on the cross--to wash away our sins. If we pray for forgiveness, and are truly sorry, through His grace God will forgive us.

Now the only question is--what do you do when you're NOT sorry?

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.