Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Reality check? - Minitokyo

Reality check?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

This is a serious topic, i thought about putting it in gaming but the circustances seemed more serious than that. If your a WoW (World of Warcraft) player or just up to date you might have heard about the latest 'incident'. There was a popular gamer who died in the real world and they decided they'ld log onto her account and place her character by a lake, that way everyone would be able to see her one last time and pay their respect etc. In basic it was an online funeral service. Now the problem was this is an online RPG, so during the 'service' where everyone paid their respects and saw him they were of course vunerable to the laws of online gaming, 25-30 people being present. An opposing guild decided they would join the service and they rocked up and killed the dead girls character and then proceeded to kill every other person in the area who was attending. A video is shown of the proceeding at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7667194685876573666&q=serenity+now

Now the question is the reality check. Personally i think it's bad this girl has died and it's really cruel that they would charge her memorial, but an online memorial is the only way some of the people could do it as the people there probably only knew her online. However at the same time this is a game and the other guild had every right to storm a group of unsuspecting players, and it would have been in fact quite beneficial and clever in the gaming sense.

So again the question is the reality check for online gaming. I think it's quite stupid to have an online funeral, most people go to these online RPGs to escape reality, real funerals are for reality, funerals and death are the type of reality you might go online to escape (as you'll come back to life). If there were funerals for online then it would suggest you would hold one when a gamer left the game as well, as the online sense is identical. How big is the separation between the online and offline world, and how big SHOULD it be?

EDIT: I've looked into this one a little bit and apparently the person who died had put some flames at the other guild, flames that had made them all very angry and this is one of the things which caused them to be so relentless. Also i should point out the funeral service was held on an open arena on the server, making it possible for the other guild to storm them. Anyone have more details or something more specific?

EDIT: Well apparently she loved PvP arenas, she loved fishing and lakes and snow so it this was why they decided to have the memorial in the place they did. (keeping in mind the online rules of the place say they can't complain for being stormed)

This is something i picked up from the people responsible (serenity now):

As much as I hated what you did to the funeral, I just wanted to ask questions without starting a huge flame war.

1. Why did you do it?

All they were trying to do was have a final farewell to their friend. I agree, they should have done it in non-contested area, but still.

and I know you say "Send her parents a card, play your game."

Well, she may have known them, but her parents probably didn't. What would they think if they got a card from a stranger?

2. How come you don't feel bad for their loss of a friend?

I guess that those are the only two questions I had.

-Fusk

Reply by serenity now:

1. I did it to piss off those people that brought RL drama into a public video game. I did it because i think the idea of holding a memorial inside a video game is ridiculous and uncalled for, and frankly i think it's embarassing and even dissrespectful to the deceased.

the area that they held it in doesn't matter, it was just a mistake. the whole concept of acting out a funeral with your warrior cows or undead sorcerers is laughable to me, and i enjoyed crashing the event.

sending a card from strangers is wierd? how about sending them a video of you as computer game characters bowing and kneeling infront of your daughter's troll?

People die every day. I lost 2 family members last year, and i don't log on to a video game to expect complete strangers from all over the world to respect my loss. Most of them probably didnt know her outside the game.

That said i do feel sorry for her loss, i just don't feel a need to respect a bunch of dorks acting out a funeral in a video game. For me it wasnt about her, it was about the people in the game.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Haohmaru77

Haohmaru77

Stray Wanderer

First post!

I just dont believe this. Arent MMORPG designed so that u can have some fun? Why should they celebrate an OL funeral? Why should people get mad, since its just a game? Really, some people take things too seriously. These games are for having fun and making friends through the world, not for making enemies and making "fun" of dead people! I consider this whole thing nonsense.

Signature Image
Dude, I'm doing something for you. Return the favor!
Donate money to the poor!! Or at least heed their voices!
Thanx to K1ru for the super signature!

Meh looks like a theme video to me. Tho i gess it could have been a huge blunder on purpose. (Apart from that zone being pvp enabled, it's also very inaccessible to low level players)

I don't think haveing an online service of this nature is to weird. It isn't hard for me to see someone hateing most of their real life relations. Granted most of these cases are people trying to showing off to thier real life relations.

Hmm in some cases the link between online and offline if far to close. Tho in most of these cases the poor fellow can't distern real from fake. I think for the rest of us it could be physically closer.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

uhm, we all die one day, what does she care what others do to her game character? I see the memorial aspect, but only her closest friends and family have that right to pay any real respect. Then again, a portion of her life was spent playing this game where real people interacted, it's near the border for how far we can take things.

My opinion is simply this: let the girl rest in peace...

-repeat-

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

I figured it was not a logical move, however, seeing from his point of view, I myself refer them as nonsense. True indeed, you can mourn for the loss in real life, send a card, if you really know her that well, why not? Just send them to the family, pay the respects blah blah.
Bringing in real life drama to a game, online funerals, online political roundups, all that bull was to be excluded within my reasonable judgment.
I certainly don't see the need for it.
It was something rather stupid might I add?
That was from Serenity Now's point of view.

However, I do not agree with having Party crashers. True, that however much you may be annoyed by these emo dorks, or whatsoever that they are branded with by the public, I see no reason from them to be on a rampage to kill and rape every single individual there.

Seeing as how most of players are actually barely responsive shows that this show of respect is something like a "let your character rest there while pretending to show respect to gain HP or MP" however ways it works in the system.

I can see the crashers seemingly to have killed a lot of people who did not even return one shot before dying.
Anyhow, I do not play it, so I do not know much, I certainly agree with Serenity Now for their views on don't bring your real life drama to gaming, but not with the idea of crashing with a party van.

After all, we get annoyed all the time, it is not like we must heed to that annoyance and punch everyone who annoys us in the face right?
Perhaps you should refer to this thread of mine and sound your views: People on the net/forums/chats are always ugly?

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

ROFLMAO! :D :D

Personally, I'd be pissed, but since that wasn't me.......oh well. I found this hiliarous! I asked myself,"I wonder what is going through their minds when it all started? Did they try to log out, fight, shut off the computer, or just sat there, with their mouth open?" I absolutely 'love' to go to their forums now......... ^_^'

Now with that said, It was a cool thing to do.....have a online funeral for a character whose operator had died. However they didn't think this through, as opposed to the party....or I should say, "funeral" crashers. I would have had it on a different server or something, a way to let friends in, enemies out. From what I gather, she had friends on both sides, so if they would have did this privatly, it still was going to get crashed.

But you got to admit.......it was funny as hell. Sorry for my cold heartedness, I'll send a memo to have that removed. :)

merged: 04-13-2006 ~ 01:23am
PS: They should have posted security!

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

What the gamers did for the funeral was a nice gesture, and what the crashers did was immature. But there really isn't a place for that in a game; like other have stated, games are a way of getting away from real life for a few hours.

Signature Image

It's true that games are a place to escape reality, but sometimes reality can even invade into a game. Yes I know that some people consider the incident okay and by all means, alright, but what those guys did was a load of crap. Some people actually get to know others only through games; as of why, I don't know. If the game wants to hold an event like this, it's okay, but leave the event alone if you got nothing to do. If anyone wants my full opinion, just email me at Rintasha@hotmail.com..............damn those guys suck. I know holding a funeral on a game disrupts the rest of the dead, but killing that character really disrupts the peace........many might not know it, but all or probably most are connected to their characters that they created......they just don't know it.....

Life is a curse, but you can make it a blissing........

cardmage

cardmage

After you

I don't see it as an extremely smart move to have online game funerals... I won't say "games should be kept games... leave real life out of it" because the nature of MMOs is that you get to interact with other real-life people. But what sense does it make to have an online funeral service with people you don't even know the person well? Did they even know her name? There isn't much sense to do this kind of thing. In fact, doing it "for fun" like that is even disrespectful.

However, I disagree with the act of doing something like that during a person's "funeral". If its disrespectful to conduct a service for someone you don't really know, then its at least equally disrespectful to mess it up like that. Why don't people just mind their own business and let thing be? Being in an online game doesn't give one the right to be so insensitive...

Life is tranquil, Death is peaceful...
Signature
Its the transition that is troublesome...

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Well being in an online game everyone has a right to do whatever they want within restrictions, however those restrictions are bound by the gameplay. Holding a funeral online isn't catered for in the gameplay restrictions therefore there is no right or wrong in the circustances. The only people who have the right to say whether this was right or wrong are the blizzard administrators, and it's their job to punish if this was out of line. However the funeral wasn't arranged with any admins, it wasn't accounted for in any gaming guidelines and therefore there is absolutely nothing saying this was wrong, again i classify this as a very well planned out attack.

What i think is sad is that the people involved are probably more annoyed at the humiliation of the way they were defeated, rather than the fact the memorial was interupted.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

The fact that they held any sort of service in a contested area without at least being ready for a fight makes them naive. Personally, I would have joined in the attack as well. The moment you rely on the goodwill of others you open up vulnerabilities.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.