Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 And suddenly...there was no money - Minitokyo

And suddenly...there was no money

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Hey all for a while now I have been thinking about just how this world works and where the power is. Which is amazing seeing as that my mind is usually and constantly on Anime but anyway...I started thinking about how this world would react if all of the money would suddenly vanish...that's right people no more money-ANYWHERE! And the means to make the money and the knowledge of how to create it goes with it too.

All the time-ALL THE TIME I get to hear just how crappy the schools over here in the States are and you know what...I'm rather sick of it. It is in my knowledge (and do please tell me if I am wrong) that everyone else (besides we who live in America) get's free education and free medical. Now I'm not saying that our schools are the best and the rest of the world isn't suffering in their own way but I hardly think it's the teachers or students fault nor do I blame the people as a whole...rather it's our dependence on money that hinders even the most intelligent among us.

I started to picture a world without money and yes maybe 90% of the people like doctors, police, firemen, etc would quit and the world would be in chaos...but only for a little while in my mind. I am also sick of hearing how a cure can only be found if we raise enough money to fund the research...what a load! Just think about it my babies...just how far into technology, medical, educational, everything we would be if we didn't have to wait for that approved grant or donation...it was just given to us because it could improve life even in some infinitesimal way. No longer having to spend millions and millions of dollars on a theory that might not even work out.

No longer have to pressure some tight-assed millionaire to donate money to some cause that only affects like one percent of the populace. If you want to do research on something well there here is the best technology and the brightest minds in the subject today to help you and we're talking about in the whole world...wouldn't that be nice? What do all of you think?

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

I think you are way too confident that human nature is altruistic. The only reason most people do things like research diseases and produce new technology is for money. It's not easy or fun, so the only reason to do it is if you get something in return. In your new world, only people whose loved ones are directly suffering from a disease would be likely to do any research on a cure, and their results will unlikely be widely avaliable because there's no reward in publishing the results. Who do you propose produces and gives up the "best technology," and what makes you think "the brightest minds" will be willing to work on random projects people want done? Who decides which projects get done and in what order?

I'm not saying that people can't get along with out money, there are still people who live a money-free life, none of whom develope new technology or cure diseases. It just won't be anything like what you propose. No one will be working on curing disease and developing new technology if they have to hunt for their own food and build their own shelter, because if there's no money, then you can't just go and buy food, and there aren't many people willing to mass produce food and then give it away for nothing in return. If money were to be destroyed, it would be replaced by some other sort of trade, which will likely become exactly like money after enough time. Things progressed the way they have for a reason...

"If I were creating a world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, 8 o'clock, day 1." -Time Bandits

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

That sounds very much like something a communist might say and i think it has run through everyone brain at one time or another. When your parents said to you nothings free (and dam them for it) they were mostly correct. One might say this is free in society or that isn't but if you pay tax, your paying for the services you take for granted. If you work, your working mainly for a survival, if you legally exist you'ld be paying tax one way or another.

A world without money these days would basically mean the end of the world was upon us. It would take a lot of hard work to erase all the money that's electrically run and stored in banks throughout the world and likewise the same to destroy all the paper and coin money. Also the fact that no one will be very happy to part with it so i think it's safe to say it wont happen. If we did wake up tomorrow and there was no such thing as money the governments, military and police would instantly seize control over as much as they can within their countries to avoid anarchy breaking loose. There would be fights breaking out between nations as to who should try to restore the world economy and everyone would probably cut off their exports, and then of course the biggest military power (guess who) will try to dominate.

Could write a bloody novel on this X-P but basically for us nieve first world countrymen, money makes the world go round. We've reached the point where it's our only means of half ordered existance is through these digital numbers on a computer that we send between accounts and i don't think we have the ability to discard it. Only when the last tree is logged, the last river poisoned and the last animal killed will we realise we can't live off money.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

I think WWIII would start. Or people would start robbing each other, i'm sorry nto say people do not give out free rides, people do things to get things. And if money disapeared who would make the TV's, fix your car, harvest the food, policce the streets. The next likely option would be to rob others fofr what they have or to barter for what they have. I am sorry to say that humanity is not kind to it's own. Though this is a great thread idea.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

I'm sure this quote have appeared in many economics textbooks in one form or another.

"A butcher does not sell meat out of charity. He does it for profit."

People do not give services for free. They expect compensation in return for services rendered. If there's no money, then there's no incentive for doing anything other than those that benefit your own self.

If you want me to do a donkey's work for free, forget it.

Inversion988

Inversion988

....Revived?

hmm, a world without money..........i could sum it all up 2 this: chaos, suffering, despair, destruction, and eventually, war. some say life revolves around money(which is somewhat true) so if they had none, they would either commit suicide or start riots. and eventually everyone would die because u need money 2 buy food and without that of course, u would starve 2 death. and knowing how important money is now in the world, the death rate would increase greatly. no one would have nothing else in life 2 live for knowing they can't support themselves normally so they'll end up commiting suicide. this is quite an interesting thread u put up here.

Signature Image

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

Human beings have evolved with a natural sense of fairness and justice. You can see it in children not even old enough to speak sharing their toys with others or trading one toy for another. Money is just a physical version of fairness, to get something you must sacrifice something of equal value. This works in any situation in life, in any culture and in any place in the world. This is exactly where the phrase "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" came from; if you are going to get something and it seems easy to get then you are probably forgetting some of the work involved.

Of course a world without physical currency is possible, but it would be difficult to do with the greed that exists today. Everyone would be looking out for themselves and stepping on anyone in their path. Like you said, no body would do any work because they would get no benefit because no one else is doing their work and so on.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

Money is a necessary evil for the blessings it brings. Damn conundrums...

The little things would not exist, like space travel... etc... technology progresses cause people buy the little trinkets like these computers in front of us. We are all slowly being connected with one another in a pool of minds. One day, we will all be one, minds working together... lol... such optimism, or skepticism?!?!?!

Everything happens for a reason... supposedly... if you were born in another time, would you be the same person you are today communicating with people relative to this specific time-frame? Money is what allowed this technology to flourish, behind the scenes, people's greed and survival instincts make it happen. Observing some higher up figures, they are really pompous... they literally think of themselves as above you with their noses up in the air. Where does that come from, how do people even begin to fathom such beliefs? Why am I asking questions in a forum, lol?!?!? I think it all relates to money and how it corrupts people sometimes.

-repeat-

No money in the world.... Raiding/Vandalizing time! Oh yeah! Free stuff! There will be policemen but they won't get paid cuz no money! Free stuff!

"I'm not lonely. Cuz I'm always alone".

Wow I wasn't expecting such a negative response by everyone guess I have more faith in the human race then I would have ever thought I could have. Which surprises the hell out of me seeing as that my first inkling is to hate the humans wow! Everyone is sooo close minded...and with no hearts or souls. Might as well be talking to a bunch of robots or a bunch of rocks. So everyone is in agreement that everyone would just revert to their animal ways and kill before rational thought sweeps in and common sense regains dominance. I...don't know how to react at all for the first time my babies I am unable to form words. It appears that my views on the human race were right after all...surprised I'm not as happy I should be...I'm not happy at all though I'm laughing with disbelief. How...sad I might actually cry later. Maybe there is no hope and all we have is here and now despite how f*cked up now is.

merged: 04-14-2006 ~ 07:35pm
OH and please forgive me if I offended any of you my babies with what I said. For that all of you are allowed to throw one rock at me it doesn't matter the size and I'm not allowed to try and defend or dodge so go nuts. At times I in my insanity I forget just how this world works and how the people within it works too. I have crossed the line and I am truly sorry...I have no excuses so pelt away. :)

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

It's not that the people who responded are closed-minded or heartless. They're being realistic...
Even if there weren't immediate chaos etc. after the absolution of currency, people would begin trading items that they have for items that they don't. This would continue until someone came up with some type of widely accepted bartering currency...which is basically what mikenox said.

Even if groups of people were altruistic, they would still need resources to be able to give to their fellow man. They probably don't have all these resources and would have to get some from others. Would those who have ownership of oil wells just give it out to whoever would benefit most from it? Or would they want something in return?

Think about places where catastrophes have hit and people really don't have money. Yes, there are those who are altruistic and yes, it is chaotic until other step in to "make things right" but if the whole world were in chaos...who would be the ones to step in and lend the helping hand? Yeah, the ones with the most resources (i.e. the ones who had the now non-existant money). Those without resources would constantly be relying on those with resources. How would they become independent then?

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

To put it simply Jenosydes, it would take and act of GOD to bring about a world that you suggest. It is just something humans alone are incapable of. Nations and currency exsist for our convience, simply taking them all away won't change how people put a value on goods and services. You'd have to change the very way people think and that is humanly impossible.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

okayillgonow

okayillgonow

Never tolerate oppression...

All gvernments of ANY country would collapse without money if:

1. There was no wood to make paper.
2. There was no metal.

''From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.'' (Karl Marx)

well the economy would collapse for one....chaos may ensue because people would probobly lose the will to work...whats the point int working if your not going to get anything out of it...of coarse new systems could work out..i mean a bartering system may work out...if you trade things i mean...but then again if u think about that, it would be vastly inefficient because if a person didnt need what u could make or did...then how would you get what you wanted........there are a lot of other ways the system could change to benifit us...our economy now isnt all that efficient in its own..communism controls income and yet you dont see them prospering and becoming super advanced......

also donating to fund research is helpful...this pays the researchers, and it gives them the ability to buy more materials, go to places, experiment, etc...without money the world wouldnt advance....researchers would not research with no money to keep them alive...they would probably all turn to helping their families make it through a crysis like that.....so.....i think a world wit no money problably would be a bad idea

If money vanishes from the world that used to know money, then the result is chaos. Jenosy, i think the world of your idea can only happen if there's no money in the first place, and people have a really high understanding towards each other, which is the most impossible factor for we are humans... Yeah, human sucks and very very very few of them would do anything for each other if they don't get anything in return.

It's human nature that creates the money. So if you want a world without money, try to make every single human think like you... and dude, that ain't easy

Nickisherenow

SaRiteNite

i have this distinct feeling that God would descend from heaven when this happens ^_^

well well...a world without money...its sounds intriguing. firstly everyone would have to make their own clothes and stuff, cuz who wants to work for the man next to him without a good reason? i feel its the shortness of human life which causes people to work only for themselves dont u think? also, money evolved from barter trading...humans need to feel that they gained something right? who wants to do something for another person who has the same wealth level as them? of course theres beggars, but they at least provide a valid reason for us to feel pity. we help them to satisfy our pity, thus in a way we gained something.

again, not practical. hard to predict what to happen if money disappears. probably the governments would print again. one last thing...money makes the world go round...so although you may have good ideals, the fact is its good game for many people who have liquid cash instead of material wealth if the world goes bankrupt. Ja-Ne

Silent Warfare is my kind of war. Why? Because no one innocent gets hurt.

Terrorists aren't silent though. Bastards

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

JenosydesWhisperMatrix your proposal is flawed. Even if you were to destroy the ability to produce currency there would still be money. The idea of money would still be around even if we can't make any. Your perfect system of altruism would crash very soon. Supposing that at first everyone shared freely it would just take one person to not give anything in return for a service and he would get away with it cause there's no money. Then other people would start thinking that they could get away with it too. Next thing you know people stop giving freely cause they have no guarentee of getting something back. I mean why would you give someone food that could be used to feed your children? Eventually some form of barter would come up.

Don't try changing the system. Humans evolved in this way for a reason. Humans are naturally selfish. It's not a fault of their morals. It's just human nature to do what's in their genetic interests first before helping others.

If you think not having any money is good why don't you just give all your money away to the homeless. Sell your possessions and give it all away. You should also join the homeless to teach them that money is bad and that there's no need for it. Maybe you'll effect some real change then? Assuming you don't die of starvation that is.

AHHHHHHHH GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD PPPPPFFFFFFFTTTTTTT! I think all of you my babies are doing what I did when I first came up with this. Thinking that the whole world would be suddenly thrown back into the medieval times or back into the old west. That technology would just vanish and so would all that we have learned over the years. Okay how about this...we are all suddenly killed and are reborn in a world that has never had any money plus...we have no memory of our money ridden past lives. The world is like our world now only with no money. As in we still have TV, computers, ovens, pads and tampons, EVERYTHING THAT WE HAVE NOW BUT WITH NO RESTRECTIONS ON WHAT WE CAN OR CANNOT DO! Is that better? Or will this world be in Chaos and death all over too?

I'm getting this idea and COME ON COMMUNIST! WHO THE HELL THINKS LIKE THAT!? *clears throat* Anywho, this idea came from this documentary about the ancient middle east (and-yes-I-know-they-had-money) and this ship they (they of today) found at the bottom of the ocean and it actually had within it's holding deck what they believe to be an ancient computer. Now I know you think this holds very little relevance but think about it. They were saying that if this ship wouldn't have sunk and this old computer from BC (now they're not sure) would have gotten to other people just how further advanced the people of today would have been.

The people of the old world back before Money was not the key to all things were actually free enough to think and invent as they wanted I mean look at Greece and Rome...how their cities are still relatively standing even after all of this time and yes I know they worked slaves to death blah, blah, blah but they completed all of this without having to wait for a government grant or other crap like that and their crap is better than our crap in my opinion I mean their buildings and coliseums are still standing while our pitiful houses are falling down every time there's a little up-draft...now tell me what you think.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.