Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What' the Meaning of Your Flag? - Minitokyo

What' the Meaning of Your Flag?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

The title tells everything. Do you know the meaning of the colors, images, or writings encarved in your national flag? Well, our flag consists of two horizontal colors (similar to Monaco's), red (meaning 'Valor') and white (meaning 'Sacred'). A little simple (even very simple) for us, but that's it.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Well the colors on the US flag were not given meaning but it can be derived from the Great Seal of the US. (quotes from here)

"...the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:
"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice." "

As to the design of our flag, the thirteen horizontal stripes are
"symbolic of the rays of light emanating from the sun"
and they represent the thritenn original colonies. The stars on a blue background are
"a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal to which man has aspired from time immemorial"
and represent the 50 states of the US. NOTE: This is not necessarily a religious statement.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

The Canadian flag is two vertical stripes of red down either side with a red maple leaf in the centre.

There are theories as to why the flag is red, especially the sides. One is that because the Liberal party was in power of the government of the time and their colour is red. Personally, I think it would make more sense to have the side columns of colour to be blue, to signify the "from sea to sea" motto.

As for the maple leaf, it is simply a symbol of Canada.

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by rydiaemeraldThe Canadian flag is two vertical stripes of red down either side with a red maple leaf in the centre.

There are theories as to why the flag is red, especially the sides. One is that because the Liberal party was in power of the government of the time and their colour is red. Personally, I think it would make more sense to have the side columns of colour to be blue, to signify the "from sea to sea" motto.

If they're in power, why did'nt they place the colour in the center instead at the sides? They're in power, so they supposed to be the center of the govt, didn't they? And what's the meaning of the white?

ChaosCraZ

ChaosCraZ

-Me Againt myself-

>>> hahaha...
>>> Finally i've found the good thread for today...
>>> Let's see myCOUNTRY FLAG !

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/gallery/topic/G3104783/G3104783-5.jpg

>>> k, Now u've seen my flag...
>>> Red - - Means - - The nation that our kings and our forefathers
protected til today...

>>> White - - Means - - Pure of Relagion - - Buddism

>>> Blue - - Means - - Our 9 Great KINGS from the history til today...

>>> THAI peeps have to respect this flag....
>>> I Luv my country !

>>> >> The pix is too big...
>>> >> I'm sorry...

Is this an illusion that i have in my heart?

MEXICO

Originally, the colors had the following meanings:

Green: Independence from Spain
White: Religion, the Roman Catholic faith
Red: Union between the Europeans and Americans

However, the meaning of the colors changed because of the secularization of the country, which was spearheaded by President Benito Juarez. The new color meanings are as follows:

Green: Hope
White: Unity, Peace
Red: Heroes' blood

The coat of arms depicts a Mexican golden eagle, perched upon a cactus, devouring a snake. This was inspired by an Aztec legend regarding the founding of Tenochtitlan. According to popular legend, the Aztec people, then a nomadic tribe, were wandering throughout Mexico in search of a Divine sign that would indicate the precise spot, upon which they were to build their capital. The God Huitzilopochtli, had commanded them to find an eagle devouring a snake, perched atop a cactus that grew on a rock submerged in a lake. After two hundred years of wandering, they found the promised sign on a small island in the swampy Lake Texcoco. It was here they founded their new capital, Tenochtitlan. Mexico City today.

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by Bumble-Bee

Quote by rydiaemeraldThe Canadian flag is two vertical stripes of red down either side with a red maple leaf in the centre.

If they're in power, why did'nt they place the colour in the center instead at the sides? They're in power, so they supposed to be the center of the govt, didn't they? And what's the meaning of the white?

Actually, red and white are the official colours of Canada, they were approved by King George V in 1921, so it's only logical they are on our flag.

The following is taken from http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/df6_e.cfm and explains how those colours came to be our national colours:
"Red and white: Canada's national colours

History records that in the first crusade, Bohemund I, a Norman lord, had red crosses cut from his mantles and distributed to the 12,000 crusaders, who then wore them as a distinctive badge on their garments.

In subsequent crusades, each nation was distinguished by a cross of a different colour. France long had a red cross on its banners while England used a white cross. Time and again in history, red and white are found as the colours of France or of England.

Red and white were approved as Canada's official colours in the proclamation of the royal arms of Canada in 1921 by King George V.

In 1957, the colour of the maple leaves on the shield of the Royal Arms of Canada was changed from green on a white ground to red on a white ground in recognition of Canada's official colours."

As for the maple leaf, well, as you said, it is indeed our emblem:
"The maple leaf

Well before the coming of the first European settlers, Canada's aboriginal peoples had discovered the food properties of maple sap, which they gathered every spring. According to many historians, the maple leaf began to serve as a Canadian symbol as early as 1700."

Arkano18

Far, Far Away

http://www.chile.no/turismo/tradicion/original/tra02.jpg

Red: It represents the blood of our ancestres, fierce natives who fought for their lands.

Blue: It represents our beautiful sky (that's not like this these days, 'cause pollution).

White: It represents the pure and clean snow of our mountains, which are visible from everywhere.

The Star: Represents the hope and our dreams as a nation of free brothers and sisters.

That's all

I can't believe ist's not yoghurt!

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by Bumble-BeeThe title tells everything. Do you know the meaning of the colors, images, or writings encarved in your national flag? Well, our flag consists of two horizontal colors (similar to Monaco's), red (meaning 'Valor') and white (meaning 'Sacred'). A little simple (even very simple) for us, but that's it.

I wonder why you ask this then later, wonder if burning your flag is acceptable? :\

I am just dying to know why. If anyone knows what the flag colors represent, then you must have some sort of pride for your country. But you ask is burning your flag, which you put in time to know all about, is acceptable?

Don't you think that this is a double standard? :\

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

The Dutch flag stands for uniformity and independence of the (in that time) Netherlands.
Our flag is unique in being the first one born during revolution, it was in the war with Spain under the command of Willem van Oranje.
At the declaration of independence in 1579 it became the official Dutch flag:
Orange-White-Blue. But orange shades easily, especially on ships. So the new colours became Red-White-Blue making it more recognizable.
It is quite strange that we had two flags for a long time. Both flags above were used together for a long time. People wanted to use the old flag because of the orange stripe. This orange stripe is important because it is the symbol for our royal family which last name is Oranje/Orange. It was not until 1930 that queen Wilhelmina decided to go with the red-white-blue flag.
To keep the bond tith the royal family, we occasionally put a separate orange banner on top of our flag.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7205/vlag4pb.jpg
The original Dutch flag

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3240/vlag24570ni.jpg
The current Dutch flag

It is said that because of its origin in revolution, the Dutch flag is used as an example for the French and Russian flag, but this cant be proven at all. It is most likely some theory from some nationalists. The flag of Luxembourg is almost the same as the Dutch, but is based on the sign of their royal family.

Let's talk a bit about the French flag...

OK, let's do it simply: three equally large vertical stripes, Blue, White and Red from the "mast" to the end of the flag. Another version has a slightly larger red part to compensate the visual effect of a flag in the wind.

Before the French revolution (end of the 18th century), French troops had white flags or symbols, the colour of the king. However, at the beginning of the revolution, the population of Paris started demonstrating (it's kind of a national sport). They were wearing a red and blue rosette, the colours of Paris. To calm things down a little, and to make them understand that their point had been understood, the king Louis XVI decided to wear this rosette too. La Fayette, a French noble, but also an officer that fought during the American independance war asked the population to add the white colour, as a direct link between them and their king. They did so. At least, the story says it was La Fayette... The fact is, it was the first time the three colours were displayed together.

Later on, these colours were used by the army and the navy. For some time, different flags were used, with vertical and horizontal stripes. You can even find flags with a white lozenge surronded by blue and red corners. Anyway, around 1794, the official flag became the blue-white-red vertically stripped one. There have been some changes here and then, but in the end, we still have a broadly similar flag.

When asked about the signification of the flag, there are different theories. Some say it was a way to prove that the king was under the control of the population (the white part of the cocard was between blue and red). Others say it was a reminder of the American revolution (La Fayette intervention...), or even as a link toward the Dutch flag. There are even some people who say it is a symbol of the three parts of the population: nobility - blue, clergy - white, commoners - red...
French flag

Hmmm... the Irish flag symbolizes unity. Of the North and the Republic. The Green, the White,and the Orange. Im not sure what each colour represents. Ive forgotten after 10 years or so...

Dragonboy, I may be wrong but, if my memory's right, in the Irish flag, Green symbolizes the union of the people of Ireland. It was created before the independance of Ireland.

Green was for the nationalist / catholic party, orange was for the unionist / protestant party. And both of them were to live in peace, white.

But I'm not 100% sure, it's been quite a long time since I heard about this one.

Blue: France's royalty
Lily flower: France again
White cross: might be linked with France's clergy. That'll be logical after what one of you said.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alain.perron/Drapeauyqb.jpg
Anyway. Represents Quebec's French origin.

Theres the Canadian flag that was already mentionned.

Peruvian flag:
Red: blood shed because of the fight for independance.
White: Peace and justice.
Lama and tree: Peruvian symbols.
Cornucopia: Properity.
http://francorenato.tripod.com/img/peru_flag.gif

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I'm from South Africa. From the late 1900's up to 1994 we had this flag:

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/saflagold.jpg

The background flag is a bleached version of the Netherland flag (Willem van Oranje, see GEE's post a bit higher up). The Dutch started a colony here first under Jan van Riebeeck on the 6th of April 1652. Supposed to be a pit-stop on their way to India (the Verenigde Oos-Indiese Companje [VOC] - go see Samurai Champloo fro a quick reference).

Anyway, after the 1830's England started to take over the colony (hence England's flag, left center) and the more conservative people left inland and started independant colonies, the Freestate (center, center), and the Transvaal (right, center) (note the Netherland flag themes in the last two). Then after 2 wars against England, the First and Second War of Independance or the Anglo-Boer Wars (we won the first, as backward as we were in those days) all the provinces became a Union under England and the Queen, but after 1961 we broke of from British rule and became an independant Republic. We made this our flag which basicaly sumurized our cultural heritage.

Then in 1994 we got a new flag:

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/south_africa_full.jpg

I suppose you can still see the flag of the Netherlands (the red-orange, bit of white, and blue parts). I did a search for the meaning and this is what I got on our government homepage (so it's official):

Quote: Individual colours, or colour combinations represent different meanings for different people and therefore no universal symbolism should be attached to any of the colours.

The central design of the flag, beginning at the flagpost in a 'V' form and flowing into a single horizontal band to the outer edge of the fly, can be interpreted as the convergence of diverse elements within South African society, taking the road ahead in unity. The theme of convergence and unity ties in with the motto Unity is Strength of the previous South African Coat of Arms.

Basically it means that we are so diverse that they didn't even bother with working the symbolism out.

A lot of more historically orientated people (such as myself) still prefer the old one. The new one looks a bit modern arty

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

kyokujitsu

kyokujitsu

Without Purpose

The Japan flag ^_^ It's a big red circle in the middle of a white background.

I actually am not fully certain of the meaning of the flag, seeing as I've never studied it. I just know that it's main significance is representing the "Land of the Rising Sun", red obviously representing the sun. There used to be a myth that the sun rises in Japan, which is where that derives from. Speaking of which, my username, "Kyokujitsu" is the Japanese Battle Flag (Used mainly in WWII I think), Rising Sun. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong ^_^

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
- Dr. Robert Schuller

GoodTree - The homepage that supports charities ^_^

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

In the American flag...

White: purity
Red: valor
Blue: our leader

the 13 stripes represent the 13 original states (the 13 colonies) and the stars represent all 50 states.

as for my home state in the USA (Ohio), we have the red, white & blue on our flag. There is a giant "O" on the side of the flag that goes against the flag pole, for the first and last letter in our state's name (Ohio), and there are 17 stars -- Ohio was the 17th state added to the Union. I'm proud to be an Ohioan. ^_^

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Quote by kyokujitsuThe Japan flag ^_^ It's a big red circle in the middle of a white background.

I actually am not fully certain of the meaning of the flag, seeing as I've never studied it. I just know that it's main significance is representing the "Land of the Rising Sun", red obviously representing the sun. There used to be a myth that the sun rises in Japan, which is where that derives from. Speaking of which, my username, "Kyokujitsu" is the Japanese Battle Flag (Used mainly in WWII I think), Rising Sun. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong ^_^

I looked around a bit and got this article on Answers, although that article just tells of the origen (during the Mongol expansion). I think though that the meaning is quite obvious.

Japan in Japanese is either Nippon or Nihon. Both of which means literally: "origin of the sun"

"Nichi": sun and "Hon": root/base/origen. The name was used when it was refered to China: the land were the sun rises (i.e. the land east). Can't show the Kanji here so check this out for a fuller explanation.

Signature

okayillgonow

okayillgonow

Never tolerate oppression...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/800px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Quote by Charles Thomson:
The colours of the pales are those used in the flag of the United States of America. White: signifies purity and innocence; Red: hardiness and valour; and Blue: the colour of the Chief signifies vigilance perseverance and justice.

''From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.'' (Karl Marx)

In medieval Europe, most countries like they exist now did not exist. Germany for example came to be late in the 20th century and consisted before of little states. So a lot of cities (if not all) in Europe have their own flag which is often way older that the nation's flag.
The United states of the Netherlands came to be in 1579, but the states and cities itself of course are way older. My city, Roosendaal has an emblem that dates back to the 11th or 12th century, It consists of 3 red roses, and the emblem of Nisipa, an important family. The colours are red and white, the colours of the Lords of Breda who ruled the city.
Later, when The Netherlands were united, a crown was added to symbolize the royal family.

http://www.ngw.nl/r/images/roosenda.gif

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

@GEE

Hey! There's a Rosendal here where I live in Stellenbosch (Van der Stel se Bosch)! Alright, its a suburb. But its the same name.

Oh and fix the picture link. Wanna see what it looks like.

Signature

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Well in dealing with state flags witihin the US (info from the Alabama State Archives):
AL State Flag
The Alabama State Flag as it exists today was adopted on February 16, 1895. Section 1-2-5, Code of Alabama 1975, provides:
"The flag of the state of Alabama shall be a crimson cross of St. Andrew on a field of white. The bars forming the cross shall be not less than six inches broad, and must extend diagonally across the flag from side to side."
The St. Andrew's Cross resembles the letter "X" in the English alphabet and is also referred to as the "saltier" or "Crux Decussata." According to tradition, Andrew, the brother of Peter, was crucified on a cross of this shape. Andrew did not feel worthy enough to die on the same style of cross on which Christ died and requested a cross of another shape. His request was granted and he was crucified upside down on a cross which now bears his name. Rather than using nails to secure his limbs to the cross, Andrew was bound to the cross with ropes. His suffering was thus prolonged. St. Andrew's Cross came into wide use during the Medieval Period and became the national cross of Scotland, since St. Andrew was the patron saint of Scotland.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

The Texas Flag:

"The state flag consists of a rectangle with a width to length ratio of two to three containing: (1) a blue vertical stripe one-third the entire length of the flag wide, and two equal horizontal stripes, the upper stripe white, the lower red, each two-thirds the entire length of the flag long; and (2) a white, regular five-pointed star in the center of the blue stripe, oriented so that one point faces upward, and of such a size that the diameter of a circle passing through the five points of the star is equal to three-fourths the width of the blue stripe. The red and blue of the state flag are the same colors used in the United States flag."

The Confederate First National Flag:

"The flag of the Confederate States of America shall consist of a red field with a white space extending horizontally through the center, and equal in width to one-third the width of the flag. The red space above and below to be the same width as the white. The union blue extending down through the white space and stopping at the lower red space. In the center of the union a circle of white stars corresponding in number with the States in the Confederacy."

I am invincible!

http://www.teteamodeler.com/images/imagesinfo/france16.jpg

the french flag is a rectangle divided in 3 equal parts in it's length: blue, white and red

it was put in place during the french revolution in 1789 and has stayed as the symbol of the french republic ever since

the blue and red colours are the colours of paris and white is the colour of royalty

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.