Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why Azareus? - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

Hi all,

I have a question about bittorrent clients and trackers. I use BitLord as my torrent client and I've noticed that sometimes an active torrent won't work because it says my client is banned by the tracker. Sometimes it says that BitComet is banned from the tracker (I'm assuming that BitLord was designed similar to BitComet).

Anyways my question is: why are BitComet and some other clients "shunned" by some bit torrent trackers? Is there a good reason or is it just elitism?

Edit: I should have mentioned that I don't use Azareus because it's a RAM guzzler. BitLord is very simple and is easy on the RAM and CPU

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I'm really not sure, there's something called "intrusion" that a bittorrent client can do, I once had azureus tell me it couldn't download because it made some kind of intrusion in the tracker or something like that, confusing stuff. I think Azureus is supposed to be the most well rounded client to use tho, I've used it since I started with torrents and haven't had any problems with it.

cause the "blue frog" rules! :)

Signature

i use Bittornado and don't have trouble with it :)

Some clients have features which make them overly aggressive (more than you regular client that is) to the extent that enought people using that client on a given tracker can take the tracker down. Basically not so well coded troublemakers.

Azureus is very well rounded and what I use, but it likes to hog memory a bit (okay a LOT). I've heard uTorrent is also very good, but haven't tried it myself.

uTorrent is good on memory. I've never used it before. I was using BitComet for a while, but I always lose connection when I use it, so I switched back to BitTornado. BitTornado is simple, but also a memory hog.

Signature Image

Cycorn

yo...

coz the name azureus is so damn cool lol, unlike all other client with those BIT BIT BIT infront them lol, and the frog does rules xD

anyway imo, azureus is a veli well made client, even it consume kinda lot memory @@, but just use it when u going to sleep or away from ur pc, and wake up tomolo *teng teng teng teng* all download is done and ready to rock and roll xD

Why Azureus?

Coz it has the best looks, excellent functionality without being overly complex and simply works. At the beginning, I tried different clients before settling with Azureus.

Regards.

Azureus is like the gangsta fabulous version of all the others one but I like Azureus not only beacause of the blue frog but its easy and you could see the people seeding to you

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I use the granddaddy of them all, Bittorrent! It has never gave me any hassles, it auto-downloads as soon as I target a torrent, it will suspend any torrents running if anything goes wrong, such as the HDD fills up (it will resume as soon as you correct or resume the download), and it will auto-update when a new version is available. You can also designate where you want your files to go instead of searching through your shared files!

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

BitComet/Azureus sometimes are banned for aggressiveness like others said, it takes a lot and refuses to give back when requested. I personally use BitComet because it uses less memory than azureus. Azureus is made with java, so it will automatically use tons of memory (unless you run solaris of course). The good thing about Azureus is it can run on any OS because it is java, other clients won't work all the time.

I don't think I'd ever use the original bittorrent because it starts another instance of the application for each download (unless they have changed it since I tried it 2 years ago). I remember trying to download 30 things at once with the original... and you think azureus is bad on memory lol. That thing ate 80% of my cpu and was using all the memory and some of the paging file.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Ephix......all that has changed! You can even do multiple downloads! However, you should know how each file will take longer since you are downloading multiple files.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

thanks Ephix for the info about the client aggressiveness. I kind of figured it might have something to do with that. I agree that Azareus is most likely the best bit torrent client available but like you said, it runs on java and eats up memory like there's no tomorrow.

I had the same problem with the original Bit torrent client which only let you run one download per client window.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

Does the original client allow capping of upload speeds? It's problematic for DSL users when they're uploading at max speed. Their download rates drop more than half. That's why many people switched to other clients. I for one do not mind uploading, but still choose not to use the original client.

Signature Image

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

I'm pretty sure the original still limits download based on upload settings, a few clients do and they always should. The whole point of bittorrents is that you get some and you give some, if everyone could shut off their upload then no one would get any download. I personally just keep unlimited download and upload all the time and stop the downloads completely if I need the bandwidth.

BTW, just got this trying to get galaxy angel season 1

Quote by Tracker response
<tracker URL> STOPPED 23:28:Tracker Response Error:Fatal Error:BitComet sucks.

lol, it's ok though, I can still connect to the other Bitcomet users to get it. Ahaha, take that tracker. Mmm 41kb/s on 14 peers only.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

HB13

HB13

Kaiten Kensai

uTorrent

I'll just quote myself from an older post. Just download the 150kb file and try it (delete it right away if you don't like it, since there's no install/uninstall process). Most of you will be converted by all the present features and its resource friendliness http://www.gtfrc.com/forums/images/smilies/tup.gif

Quote:
And the good thing about it? It's completely computer resource friendly!

"UTorrent was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6mb of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 150 KB in size. " - Utorrent website

It doesn't have to install itself to your computer (so no uninstalling required). Just place in some folder & make shortcuts to it (115kb in size) and runs just like that. And to backup the advertiser's claim of low resource use: I just performed a stress test (5gb total files, 150kBs DL, 35 kBs UL, 33% complete) and it is only using 3.5 mb of memory!

"The Way of the Warrior is death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between live and death. It means nothing more than this. It means to see things through, being resolved."
-Yamamoto Tsunenori, Ha Gakure (Hidden Leaves)

The trick with Azureus is to set it to use the correct amount of cache, too little and it chokes and accesses the HD too often, to much and it starts killing the system. 2-8 MB works depending on how many torrents you plan to run at once. Plus lots of RAM helps, and make sure you pagefile is correctly configured.

You can get a copy of Azureus that runs off a portable drive which is pretty nifty, if you know poeple who'l share a net connection, its pretty handy for leeching.

merged: 04-19-2006 ~ 02:29pm
I'll add one more thing.

In regards to downloading multiple torrents at once, it won't slow down your download speed if your conection is faster than the total upload of all the peers on a given torrent.

For example I've gotten over 100KB/s (thats KB not Kb) on about five simultaneous torrents. If you manually set download/upload limits on each torrent so as not to overload other peers, you can get good speeds on multiple torrents (conection speed allowing).

In that scenario I couldn't get 600KB/s from one torrent as the peers couldn't support it.

uTorrent for me, because once I download something, I never stop seeding it. All those torrents cause Azureus to take about 10 minutes to start up, so I switched. If I switch to a desktop, (I'm on a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop) and have a ton of ram, I'd switch back to Azureus.

Quote by EphixI'm pretty sure the original still limits download based on upload settings, a few clients do and they always should. The whole point of bittorrents is that you get some and you give some, if everyone could shut off their upload then no one would get any download. I personally just keep unlimited download and upload all the time and stop the downloads completely if I need the bandwidth.

BTW, just got this trying to get galaxy angel season 1

Quote by Tracker response
<tracker URL> STOPPED 23:28:Tracker Response Error:Fatal Error:BitComet sucks.

lol, it's ok though, I can still connect to the other Bitcomet users to get it. Ahaha, take that tracker. Mmm 41kb/s on 14 peers only.

I've gotten that response sometimes, and got fed up with it. Besides, BitComet's interface was just too bloated for me. The only pros that I had for it was the less system resource usage, compared to that of BitTornado.

Signature Image

Alistair

Alistair

Ol' Man Ali

Heya,

From what I hear why there is issues with BitComet is this: It ignores private flags, and it gives proity to it's own client, and dosen't share very well. That's why it's not very well liked, and this is why it's "Aggressive" as well. Besides it hammering the tracker for requests, I don't know how true that is, but like I've said that's what I've heard.

Other than that, I perfer UTorrent. Rocks my socks off, and started using it and never gone back. Great client. I'm not those people that need 900k, I'm fine long as I get 30+ for I know some folks complain about speed with UTorrent, but a lot of it is settings, or people don't know how to "Seed or Upload."

Tootles,
Ali

Whirlwind life of faith and betrayal
Rise in anger, fall back and repeat

---Rush, Snakes & Arrows, "Far Cry"

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.