Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 War Hero & War Criminal, Decided by What? - Minitokyo

War Hero & War Criminal, Decided by What?

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Yep! That's it! What are the prerequisites for someone to be regarded as war hero or condemned as war criminal?
Sorry, but this is only my opinion : it depends on whether side he/she is fighting for win or lose. If he/she (and his/her side) wins, then he/she'll be considered hero. If he/she loses (defeated by their opponent), the opposite: he (from now on only 'he'. Female war hero/criminal is rare) will almost possibly executed as war criminal. Whether that person offended human rights, commited crime against humanity or of violated law of war seems to be later consideration.

Why do I make this conclusion? Well, we all know that in WWII, the Allied won and the Axis lost. Soon, many Nazi officers (Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering, and ton others. Of course, if Hitler didn't die, he'll face the same fate) were executed, with reason of waging war, commiting war crimes and of course, genocide. Not only them, Japan's Tojo was also executed with waging war as main reason.

And now, the question is: What will happen if the Axis won? What will happen if German scientists were successful in creating first atomic bomb faster than Americas? If they use it in, say, London, Moscow, Manhattan (who knows? maybe Luftwaffe's morale would be lifted up?) or (Allied-controlled) Paris, I truly believe that the result will be very-very different! It's not impossible if the Axis won the war instead! And what would the Axis do toward their enemies' leaders? Well, it's not impossible if they would execute Churchill, Truman, or Stalin for the same reason: waging war. As for Stalin, I don't know if his "If you (soldiers) fall back, we will shoot you instead of them!" order can be considered as accusation. And never forget about what Soviets did to the captured Nazi soldiers.

Yet, Allied won after all. And what did they do to gain victory? One example: bombing, vary from carpet bombing to atomic bombing. The didn't only hit enemy soldier at the process, but also (and most are) civilians. I know the most possible answer is: "To prevent futhermore casualties." Toward whom? The invaders or the defenders? And what if the Axis won? They would probably use the same reason. The bombs killed the civilians. It's immoral.

As the conclusion: Final result of a war will decide who will be set as war criminal/hero. It's not (always) because of the cause, nor what they did during the war. It's more likely to something called Vengeance toward the losing sides' leaders.

And how about you all?

Quote by Bumble-BeeSoon, many Nazi officers (Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering, and ton others. Of course, if Hitler didn't die, he'll face the same fate) were executed, with reason of waging war, commiting war crimes and of course, genocide.

What's funny about this is the fact that, of all the Nazis who were executed after World War II, you chose two who weren't. Himmler and Goering both committed suicide, though Goering did so after he had been sentenced to death.

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by LordStyphon

Quote by Bumble-BeeSoon, many Nazi officers (Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering, and ton others. Of course, if Hitler didn't die, he'll face the same fate) were executed, with reason of waging war, commiting war crimes and of course, genocide.

What's funny about this is the fact that, of all the Nazis who were executed after World War II, you chose two who weren't. Himmler and Goering both committed suicide, though Goering did so after he had been sentenced to death.

Ooops, yeah! Sorry, I forgot! However, they both were captured, right? And even if they didn't commit suicide, probability for death sentence was already 99,99 %... I refer to what awaited the losers.

Many of the most responsible & well-known Nazi leaders commited suicide. The rests were killed in battle and executed. For what reason they commited suicide,I wonder? Maybe to save their grace, avoid inhuman torture, show their blind loyalty to Der Fuehrer, or others? The results would very likely lead to death though.

After all, they'll make it a good example... How many people are there who know Amon Goeth, Wilhelm Keitel, and many others?

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

One would think that it would be determined by their contribution to the war effort and as to if what they did was just. Of course, definitions of 'just' is probably going to vary, but that comes with the territory. Killing with no actual justification would likely make you a war criminal, while doing the same with a purpose to it would probably be the opposite. I guess it's just individual basis.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

The title of war hero and war criminal aren't just handed out to anybody. A war hero is a distinguished service man or woman who did something honorable, courageous, and probably downright stupid. A war criminal is somebody who committed acts of inhumanity that generally go against the rules of war.

I don't think its vengeance though. Considering what took place during WWII, I think it's only fair to bring the Nazi leaders accountable. I see it more as being just plain 'ole justice then any nation trying to get vengeance-- they got their vengeance by winning the war.

Who ever win the war gets to decide who is the hero and who is the criminal. One man's trash is another's treasure. Look at Japan and their shrines for convcited War Criminals, it's an obvious example.

souseta

souseta

MuPp3T*

I agree, the one wins the war usually decides, but that is not the true war hero or war criminal

we can also see from the eyes of their "nakama" or friends or "kazoku" family of the respective person and see what they think of his/her.....

and also we can try to emphatize with that person, or puttin ourselves in their shoes and so we can know what they are feeling and so our inner heart can tell whether this person fighting for the goodness sake, or just for other evil reason

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by EtherinmeriaWho ever win the war gets to decide who is the hero and who is the criminal. One man's trash is another's treasure. Look at Japan and their shrines for convcited War Criminals, it's an obvious example.

Wrong.

Look at the incident at Abu Garb prison. those who were actively involved were sent to prison. At one point they were considered heroes in the public eyes for accepting such a daunting task. Then, the not only humiliated themselves but all who wears a uniform.

Look at Field Marshall Erwin Rommel.....aka The Desert Fox. Brilliant field commander for the German Army in WW 2. Do you think he would have been tried as a war criminal had he not committed suicide after the failed assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler? I don't think so......he might would have wound up teaching basic armor training at Ft. Knox or working as a retail clerk somewhere in the mid-west.......

Not all top officials were tried and convicted as war criminals.....and just because the one who wins the war won't get get punished for the crimes they committed.......at least that is how the US handles the Law of War. If you save 25 guys from an enemy assault and is awarded the Medal of Honor, then kill a unarmed family or a unarmed and restrained POW.....you will be tried as a war criminal, period. Just like it takes witnesses to confirm a distinguished medal, it takes witnesses to confirm atrocities committed against humanity.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

KOKUJINDESU

KOKUJINDESU

TYRONE-KUN

I think that generally history determines the tone of opinion--also culture. When I was in Japan, the younger generation was very open to American ideals and culture whereas the older generation were very anti-American. I asked about it and it had to do with OUR war attrocity of atom bombing civilians into nothingness! They (the older gen. ) consider us arrogant and brutal. Culture. By the way, THEIR history on WWII looks a lot different than the one I learned.

"We are but spiritual creatures enacting a physical existence."

Arkano18

Far, Far Away

History is always write by winners. And that's a fact.

Can you just imagine if Nazi had won?

:fear:

I can't believe ist's not yoghurt!

You dont hear anything about the fact that the allies bombed dresden to the ground.

War heros are always determined by who wins but also on what happens to the person. When a civil war hero tried to convince slaves to revolt and tried to attack a weapon store, he was sentenced to die.

He became a martyr in the north's eyes, by trying to free slaves. The south, however, thought he was a crazy lunatic.

It all depends on the circomstance and the side.

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

Quote by LigerZSchnider
Look at Field Marshall Erwin Rommel.....aka The Desert Fox. Brilliant field commander for the German Army in WW 2. Do you think he would have been tried as a war criminal had he not committed suicide after the failed assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler? I don't think so......he might would have wound up teaching basic armor training at Ft. Knox or working as a retail clerk somewhere in the mid-west.......

Not all top officials were tried and convicted as war criminals.....and just because the one who wins the war won't get get punished for the crimes they committed.......at least that is how the US handles the Law of War. If you save 25 guys from an enemy assault and is awarded the Medal of Honor, then kill a unarmed family or a unarmed and restrained POW.....you will be tried as a war criminal, period. Just like it takes witnesses to confirm a distinguished medal, it takes witnesses to confirm atrocities committed against humanity.

I think Rommel was a pure military commander, not a political leader. Just as what soldiers do, he had to do whatever ordered to him.

And that's what I mean: The winner takes it all: spoils of war, loser side's technology, their gifted scientists, and many others. Useless & dangerous remnants? Thrown away. Just what happened to the Nazi officials.

And the same case happened to the one of the most prominent person in rocket technology: Dr. Wernher von Braun. Now, just imagine that Nazi ordered him to, say, develop special rockets that were able to contain bio/chemical weapon or even nuclear warhead, and he succeeded, and then Nazis used them toward Paris or London, and yet Nazi Germany were still lost, and von Braun surrendered. Do you think he would be executed for what he had done, or the contrary: he was recruited to NASA anyway?

You have a sharp point there, Bumble Bee.
On the last weeks of WWII the US started operation paperclip which was meant to gather as moch Nazi technology as possible like the Me-262, the Ho-229 and the Me-P1011 and more important, the brains behind it. The US and USSR had great benefit from this knowledge.
One time a Luftwaffe pilot flew his Me-262 to an US airforce base but he was not improsoned, no instead the airforce used him to train pilots on jet aircraft.

History is written by the victors so just whether a person is regarded as hero or criminal will depend on where he's located, (whether with ally or enemy). Also, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" (a character from a Bond movie)

It's all a matter of perspective on how one will be judged for actions during a conflict...not a perfect solution, but I suppose it's all we've got.

fatimahj

fatimahj

Fatimah

hmm history will not be the same to everyone, eg. what the anglo-boers learnt/know as their history pre-94 elections in south africa is not the same as history books now. All depends on who's doing the story-telling. Kinda like the news, supposed to be objective and tell you the facts, but people usually bear some prejudice/bias behaviour towards something. History should be completely objective and not bear any personal opinion/feeling, but it's unlikely that truth will ever be freely available without a great price attached to it.

"..so remember Me, and I shall remember you; and be grateful unto Me, and deny Me not." Al-Quran [2:152]

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

Either way they killed people and God will judge them in the end.

It depends on the country in which you live and how the history books are written. Your nation will always regard someone as a war hero, while another nation may regard him/her as a war criminal. Nations will always favor their own. There will always be bias.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

fatimahj

fatimahj

Fatimah

agree on that *nod*

"..so remember Me, and I shall remember you; and be grateful unto Me, and deny Me not." Al-Quran [2:152]

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.