Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Same anime same characters.. Different NAMES? - Minitokyo

Same anime same characters.. Different NAMES?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

^_^

Signature Image
This day we fight!

I dont know of any complete different names, but most differences I see are because of the translation:
Heero - Hiiro
Relena - Ririna
Bunny - Usagi -_-
Bulma - Buruma
etc.

Does anyone know some names that really changed?

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Are you talking about the title of the anime or the names of the character? For Rurouni Kenshin, it is known as both-- the anime is Rurouni Kenshin and the OVAs and the movie go by Samurai X. Most of the name changes come when the anime is dubbed because of cultural differences and difficulty for the voice actors to pronounce Japanese names without butchering them. The most memorable name changes that come to mind are the names from Digimon... Yamato to Matt (I think...) and pretty much any mainstream anime shown in America... DBZ, Sailor Moon, all those types of animes... -_-

Signature Image

You're talking about when animes are translated right? Actually I think it's quite common for them to change names. The translators change names to make them more familiar with audiences. Remember they changed most of Pokemon names too?
Of course it can backfire and upset original version's audiences -like when all the names got completely changed in Detective Conan aka Case Closed.

Are we there yet?

selimangagirl

selimangagirl

la luz de la luna

Yes, you are right... In Spanish version always changes the names of characters and animes...
Here, in Spain, I saw Slayers with the name of Rina and Gaudy (Rina y Gaudy) when their names are Lina and Gourry... And Marmalade Boy has another title that I don't remember... Terrible!

GloriaChan

GloriaChan

*-_Moments Of Love_-*

yes in italy Madoka (kimagure orange road) in italy is SABRINA and the boy is JOHNNY and in One piece Italy the main character is RUBBER!

merged: 04-20-2006 ~ 08:04pm
yes in italy Madoka (kimagure orange road) in italy is SABRINA and the boy is JOHNNY and in One piece Italy the main character is RUBBER!

Xerdo

Xerdo

Bakuretsu Muteki XerdoPwerko

It's been a tradition in Mexican-Spanish translations to change the names.
Sometimes, for obvious cultural reasons (Goku's wife Chichi - for example, has a name that could not be said on mexican Television, so they derived it to "Milk"), sometimes to "culturally adapt" (Lupin the third - all the japanese names are gone, replaced with Spanish names that sound alike, for example - Zenigata becomes Zuniga, etc), or just to make the name sound, I guess... more attractive in Spanish (Mahou no Princess Minky Momo became "Gigi" in Mexico - and they never showed what happened after she got hit by the car, since they never brought the movie here).

There was a Japanese animation "boom" in Mexico in the seventies and eighties. Thus, a lot of the series were localised. Some kept many of their Japanese names and details, some others went completely changed. Mexican kids of the late seventies to late eighties saw a LOT of Japanese anime on TV every day, never considering it was Japanese. Many of the titles remained the same, and many were grossly mistranslated.
That, by the way, accounts for most of the "old generation" of mexican Otakus, those born before 1985.
Many great series were brought and localised in the early nineties as well - and I'm sure there were a lot of cultural localisation details as well - maybe in Sailor Moon or Ranma, to cite very known examples.

I think (though maybe I don't see some of the differences, being Mexican) that the american adaptations of japanese series change a lot more than the latin american adaptations do. At least before the nineties.

* Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof, where nobody can retrieve it.*

It s because of the deliverers , fuck the anime in some countrys , in brazil Rouroni Kenshin is Samurai X too , Ridiculous !

I just remember that "Laputa Castle in the sky" was changed in Spain.
Laputa means whore in Spanish I think.

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

It doesn't normally bother me. I just don't see much point in getting worked about it (actually, I think it's rather funny to compare them). And like many people pointed out, sometimes the names translate to.... not such nice things in other languages ^^;;;

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

For CCS in the french version :
Tomoyo : Tiffany
Toya : Thomas
Yukito : Mathieu
Li shoalan : Lionel

"The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice, the conscious ability to override evolution and self-preservation for a cause, a friend, a loved one." Quote from Babylon V

Rouroni Kenshin is called Samurai X in some anime because different companies have the licences for the TV and the OVA - they both can't use the name Kenshin for legal reasons.

Same thing for Lupin IIi/Rupin/Clifhanger/Wolf.

Laputa is just Castle in the Sky in Northa America too, because there are a lot of Spanish speaking people here.

The first english versions of Naussica and Wings Of Honnemese both were badly edited, and so had different names and such.

And who can forget Robotech - three different anime hacked up and turned into one show. ...

lunagata

lunagata

Lurking -3-

Quote by GEEI just remember that "Laputa Castle in the sky" was changed in Spain.
Laputa means whore in Spanish I think.

Actually "laputa" together is a grammatical error when you separate them "la puta" then it means "the whore" X-P (so you know ^^)

Umm in the case of names translated.... I'm Puerto Rican but I don't see animes in Spanish X-P
I hate translated movies, anime whatever I don't like them,
Like in Naruto, in English sounds awful, that's why I watch it in Japanese ^^

But I do remember seen DBZ when I was a child, the names didn't change ...
Maybe in Spain it did but here in Puerto Rico it din't, 'cuz some words in Spain are not used in Puerto Rico...

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.