Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Singer Soraya dies from breast cancer T^T - Minitokyo

Singer Soraya dies from breast cancer T^T

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Elyvania

Elyvania

The hope of a dreamer

Colombian-American Singer Soraya Dies

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060511/i/r4030631887.jpg?x=236&y=345&sig=l8cjLeBhIedGbkKZice45w--

MIAMI - Colombian-American singer Soraya, who won a Latin Grammy for best female album in 2004 and worked to educate Hispanic women about breast cancer, died Wednesday after battling the disease. She was 37.

ADVERTISEMENT

She died in a Miami hospital, said Lorena Oriani, a spokeswoman for her record label, EMI Latin.

She was born in New Jersey to Colombian parents in 1969 and was found to have breast cancer in 2000.

Her greatest hits were "Solo Por Ti" and "Casi," both released in 2003 on the album "Soraya." She was well known for integrating cumbia and flamenco music with her own style of pop-rock.

Besides her Latin Grammy in 2004, she won a Billboard Latin Music Spirit of Hope award that year. In 2005 she was nominated for a Latin Grammy for female pop vocal album for "El Otro Lado De Mi."

In a letter posted on her Web site Tuesday in Spanish, she wrote to her fans about her battle with cancer. She said she was sure her life was ending.

"I have not lost this battle, because I know the fight was not in vain," she said. "Instead, it will help end a larger battle, which is early detection to prevent this terrible disease."

Soraya's mother, grandmother and an aunt died of breast cancer, which encouraged her to inform Hispanic women about the disease. She joined the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and traveled all over Latin America to inform women about early breast cancer detection.

Soraya recorded "Por Ser Quien Soy" ("For Being Who I Am"), a song that reflects her experience with the disease.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060511/i/r2726949450.jpg?x=249&y=345&sig=ELgAYiRlj_6ovFs3Q4uoyg--

T^T It's soo sad, I liked this singer so much... I thought that she had already win her battle against cancer but... cancer it's such a terrible disease and a disease that almost all the time kill the people sick with it, it mask himself as a recovery only to take you to death with double force and less time that you could imagine.

Soraya... rest in peace...

Soraya singing "De repente" (the spanish version of "Suddenly", you can hear the english version of this song on my userpage T^T).

"... It's clear to me now that I have been moving toward you and you toward me for a long time. Though neither of us was aware of the other before we met, there was a kind of mindless certainty humming blithely along beneath our ignorance that ensured we could come together. Like two solitary birds flying the great prairies by celestial reckoning, all of these years and lifetimes we have been moving toward one another..."

Robert James Waller (The bridges of Madison county).

Xerdo

Xerdo

Bakuretsu Muteki XerdoPwerko

I REALLY loved "De Repente" / "Suddenly", and she also had some other songs in English, did she not?

I heard her several times. I didn't really know she was sick. It's very sad news. I wasn't a fan, but this still made me VERY sad...

* Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof, where nobody can retrieve it.*

Elyvania

Elyvania

The hope of a dreamer

Quote by XerdoI REALLY loved "De Repente" / "Suddenly", and she also had some other songs in English, did she not?

I heard her several times. I didn't really know she was sick. It's very sad news. I wasn't a fan, but this still made me VERY sad...

Yes T^T they were very sad news and she was so young, talented and pretty (when I was a 14 I wanted to be as pretty and feminine as her in the video "Suddenly" (De repente)). For latin people who liked her music and knew about her fight against breast cancer it was a very sad lost T.T... I HATE CANCER, I really hate that disease, I haven't lost anyone that I love by this disease but I know a lot of people who had suffered the lost of someone that they cared about because they were sick with cancer... so if you know someone with cancer you must be sad too when a famous singer who is known as a speaker of cancer foundations... dies of that disease when she thought that she had overcome her past fight... Soraya didn't win but her stuggle left a mark in people hearts.

"... It's clear to me now that I have been moving toward you and you toward me for a long time. Though neither of us was aware of the other before we met, there was a kind of mindless certainty humming blithely along beneath our ignorance that ensured we could come together. Like two solitary birds flying the great prairies by celestial reckoning, all of these years and lifetimes we have been moving toward one another..."

Robert James Waller (The bridges of Madison county).

The news about Soraya's death came to me when I had recently received my third or fourth chimiotherapy session. At that moment I was devastated, because I saw in her an example to follow, and also hope of me recuperating and getting better of this awful disease. But later I realized, she taught me the best lesson I could ever expected: NEVER TO GIVE UP. ALWAYS KEEP FIGHTING, AND HAVE FAITH THAT TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY. Even though I'm still fighting, I'm doing it with a great smile on my face. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU, SORAYA.

Ararekaku M.G.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.