Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Death Note: Amane Misa (grunge/pop art) - Minitokyo

Death Note: Amane Misa (grunge/pop art)

page 1 of 1 7 total items

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Well, I decided to deviate from my normal (and quite old, if you check my MT gallery) wallpaper style and try something new. I'm really just not sure how well it's working, so I figured I'd pop by here for some honest critiques. This is a complete and total work in progress. I'm still messing with settings, backgrounds, etc etc etc. Feel free to be as honest as you want, all comments and crits will be considered as I continue to work on this wallpaper.

Let me just say this: Extraction with this image is a pain. Magnetic lasso always flips out on me, so I did it by hand with the pen tool. I'm going to try it again with the magnetic lasso for smoother edges when I make the finished wall, so no need to comment on that, please. Sadly, extraction has never been my forte.

This is a huge wall, so I'm only going to post a link. I don't want to size it down, and it's too big to upload anyplace that will give me a thumbnail for it. I'm lazy, please kick me. Anyway, here goes, and thanks in advance for any suggestions and constructive criticism:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/souldrop/misa.jpg

The full-size is posted here, but it would totally wreck the site's layout if I posted it, so please click the link below.

Misa - click me

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

The background looks really really rough and pixelated... and Misa's not blending in with it despite the overlays. If the grunge work is what you're going for I'd suggest overlaying some softer textures or using grunge brushes, because right now the overall effect feels kinda low quality...

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by flyindreamsThe background looks really really rough and pixelated... and Misa's not blending in with it despite the overlays. If the grunge work is what you're going for I'd suggest overlaying some softer textures or using grunge brushes, because right now the overall effect feels kinda low quality...

That's what I get the more I look at it, but I'm not sure where to go with it from there. I've never done grunge, so obviously I'm not very good at it yet. As for the background, it's supposed to look rough, but not in a bad way. I'm not sure how to get Misa to really blend in, but I'll just have to play around with her some more. Thanks.

Kuzoku

Kuzoku

Sweet Dreamer

It looks promising sofar :) Good Luck! Should be a great wallie once you have learned a little more about grunging. Cant wait to see the next version.

Those who dream sweet dreams forget the pain of yesterday

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Still a work in progress (and you'll see why in a second). I've been playing around with the grunge, but right now, I think it looks like crap. I'm calling it quits for the night (and ignore how Misa looks now... that's just in the middle of playing with layer properties again).

Click for the updated version.

Any suggestions would be helpful, but keep in mind that this is nowhere near finished (even after 8 layers to get it to still look like crap... grungy crap, but crap all the same). Well, at least there's some kind of progress happening, anyway. -_-

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Hehe well Misa critique services yo =_=V Sorry I was feeling a bit lame :P Before I go on about the work, I noticed your username as syringe backwards... you don't happen to also love egnirys cimredopyh by Dir en grey, do you? :3

Anyways >_> I got sidetracked... here are just a few general tips on grunge... or how I do it anyway:

* usually there is no secret to grunge... it's just really choosing a set of good brushes (or more than one set ;)) and splatting it over the page. If you don't like the result, you hit Ctl+Z XD!
* Variations of colour: you'll need different shades of red... sometimes you can even get away with purple, pink, brown, purple (at very low opactities or some blending mode like colour burn or the like) to give the wallpaper a more dynamic look. It's also more entertaining and will make the wallpaper last longer on the desktop if more colours are included. (But not as in retro fluro multicolour... that's the other extreme and won't last long at all >_>)
* Good use of blending modes and opacities essential: there is nothing to do but experiment.
* Good concentration of brushes essential: it's either you concentrate your brushes in one splodge and then fade out (ie. slap slap slap slap brushes in one spot... then slap... slap... slap... outwards) or as an overlaying texture, you splodge it across evenly and change the blending mode.

Onto your wallpaper:

* I notice a lot of square boxes... and maybe these corners are the things kind of breaking up the wallpaper. You need something much more sandier and less strong. THere's a site: http://misprintedtype.com- wonderful sets of grunge/ dirty brushes. Another place is Magicbox... I forgot the link to it, but it should be easily google-able.
* I think you need to splodge in one spot and fading out tactic in this wallpaper. Mostly the big splodge would be behind Misa (because the splodge and scan will be the focal point) and the rest can have less(er) brushing than the big splodge.
* If you're gonna continue using those square corner brushes (which are really getting in the way of the flow of things), put the brushes under the scan rather than on top of it. Note, splodge goes under XD
* You might want some funky text to go with it... (I think of NASTY from misprintedtype.com, actually) it's rather empty at the moment.

As a prior little buzz, I want to also point you to the submission policy... it's sucky, but it says no "brushwhore wallpapers"... my interpretation of this is that brushwhore wallpapers are allowed (because I have two in my gallery X-P), provided that they aren't shoddily done in 5 minutes and look whacko XD

Overall, the grunge done on her face looks really good, but the square corner bits are hindering it a bit. The left side is also pretty good, but you might need more "texture" on that side (and possibly text) because it's not "busy" enough.... great work though :3 *bear hug*

merged: 05-24-2006 ~ 01:02pm
PS: I forgot to also say colours are not limited to the warmer colours closer to red... you could pick an outrageous fluro green, splat it across and then set it to like colour burn or even colour but at like 10-30%... it makes things a lot more interesting ;)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Quote by kuroimisaHehe well Misa critique services yo =_=V Sorry I was feeling a bit lame :P Before I go on about the work, I noticed your username as syringe backwards... you don't happen to also love egnirys cimredopyh by Dir en grey, do you? :3

Yes, I do, and yes, that's where it's from. :3 Did you know they just had their first official US release? I have two copies of Withering to Death, but I've never been happier for them. Anyway...

Quote by kuroimisa(insert lots of useful tips here that I don't really need to quote because they're right up there)

I'm still experimenting with the brushes. I found some good ones and have been playing around with the eraser tool. Obviously this is still under vast stages of construction because it still looks really unfinished to me. I r grunge newb (and not really ashamed of it).

I'll have to try mixing some purple and brown in with it. I'm toying with color burn because I really like the way it looks with the grunge effects. I'm working for a balance now. I don't want the left side to be completely barren, but I don't want any of it to be overly concentrated in one area either. That just doesn't seem balanced to me at all. Still working on finding a happy medium there.

Still looking for good grunge brushes. Everything I've found has those square corners, but that background is just a playing around to get the feel of the brushes deal. It's not permanent, but progress is progress, for better or worse. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check those out too.

I've got some brushes that I used for a layout once (if I can find them) that made a great scratchy background. Sadly, I don't still have the image. I guess I decided to clean my hard drive off (which happens once in a blue moon). Splodge splodge splodge. (I think I like that word... it's a good word.)

I haven't gotten anywhere near the text stage yet. Not sure what it should say yet either, which is always a hindrance there. I'll know when the wall gets closer to completion. It's still in baby stages. :3

Well... I've read the submission policy, and I'm not sure if it's always been that way or if it's just not retroactive. I've got some brushwhore walls in my gallery, and more than a few are in the 1337 gallery, so I'm not sure there. If it gets removed, it gets removed. No biggie. :) I'll just know what not to do next time.

I don't think I've put anything on top of the scan, I just have her set at a funky opacity because I was playing with layers last night. There are two or three layers of Misa in the PSD.

You're not wrong, I don't like the squares either. I'll just have to find a way around it because I really like some of the brushes, just not the square bits. -_-

And you know, that fluro-green sounds like an interesting idea. Red and green are opposite in the color spectrum, so maybe I'll play around with that again. Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely up another version when I've played with it more.

But at least I'm getting somewhere with this. :3 Yay for the sandbox, or I'd be resorting to posting in progress versions on MT like I used to, then getting opinions from people on my flist. But this is much, much easier than submitting and editing the submissions all the time.

*goes back to work on Misa* :3 Thanks so much!

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.