Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Problems with American school system - Minitokyo

Problems with American school system

page 1 of 1 15 total items

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

Many people see the US as a superpower; these people believe that the US is the best at everything. However, US education does not show that at all. In the 60s, the US decided to "dumb down" the school system in order to "stop discrimination." Unfortunately, we have paid the price for this. The US falls behind many countries when compared to other countries in testing. The US school system, compared to other countries, is a joke. Even several developing countries have a better system then us.
What are your thoughts about this? Do you think something should be done about this? If so, what needs to be done?

I have to agree American school system suck. Will I live, when I used to be in high school. I am the class of '04', when I left my high school year. Today, I hear after class '04' they start a program call "small comm." Like you say supposely stop discrimination. That small comm. is not even helping. They still hater and gang going on. As matter fact I hear it got wrose and drop out is increasing. I have to agree other area does have better school system. I think American student are being spoil.

Signature
Come and check out my group Neither-world for half-breed. or Gintama For yaoi stuff go to my Yaoi Channel Blog.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

I have to agree.
1. They need to be increasing the requirements to pass classes not lowering them.

2. This no child left behind idea is BS. better funding, better trained and better paid teachers, and parents that actually get involved with their kids is the answer to getting more kids to pass.

3. I believe we should be required to learn more than 1 language from pre-school through high-school at the minimum. Its not a globalization thing its learning about other cultures

4. Another problem is people who actually believe they should get something for nothing. I've been in classes when these people whine about having to work to get good grades and I've known teachers who had to deal with them and the parents that think the kid is right.

5. I alos belive that class with practical applications should be required to start in highschool and continue on through college. Theory is about all that is taught usually. Good teachers will manage to work in practical applications but it can be tough depending on the class.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I know what you mean. I graduated from high school in 2005, and even my college workload is lighter than my parents say it should be. The "dumbing down" of the school systems doesn't just apply to grade school and secondary education, but to colleges as well.

The US needs to shape up and stop this "no child left behind" crap. If the kids aren't willing to work, fine. Don't drag the ones who have what it takes down with the dumb kids.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

The US school system is pretty bad, I'll give you that. I'm not even going to get into what I think about No Child Left Behind... What we need is for everyone to stop playing the blame game. Parents are blaming schools and schools are blaming the government and so on. Everyone gets some blame because there are teachers who are not fit to teach, funds that are being mismanaged, and parents and students who are not willing to work together with teachers. I believe for a student to learn, there needs to be communication between at least the teacher and the student. The student must be motivated to learn. Learining should be fun, which is what I have been working on in my curriculum.

Breaking it down:

There needs to be more equality in the funds being distributed to schools. I've been to schools where the textbooks (and the school in general) are pretty much falling apart. Then again I've also been to schools that have Olympic sized pools and automatic flush toilets and all those luxeries. I'm not saying that schools should get rid of sports or not focus on them, but education should always come first.

Teachers-- I think that teachers should be evaluated on a yearly basis regardless of tenure. Why? There's some teachers at my old elementary school that I had when I was there who are still teaching... and to be honest, they weren't that great when I was there. (Unless, they're like a fine wine...) I think that the teachers should be evaluated by their peers AND by their students because it'll give the Board more perspective...

Okay, the only thing I'll say about NCLB. In who's perfect world does it make sense to give LESS funding to schools who do not pass the standardized tests? I can see the whole "bribe them with money" thing, but in my mind wouldn't it make more sense that the schools who are failing recieve more money so that they can afford to pay for tutoring services and overtime to help their students do better?

I think that it is preposterous that teacher's are paid virtually nothing in comparison with business CEOs who would not be where they are today if it had not been for the education they recieved from their teachers. I think the low pay is what scares some people away from the profession and allows incompetent teachers to keep their jobs...

We need a REVOLUTION!

(Aa~ I didn't realize how long my post was... gomen ne! ^_^')

Signature Image

I'm still in school and there are a lot of dumb ijects there they only know how to eat and talk

true, compared to other country schools, we don't take education as seriously as they do.... Well at least I don't because I always procrastinate. Maybe if I didn't have such short-attention span and more motivated, I might do better in school even though I'm in honors classes.

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

Quote: Like you say supposely stop discrimination. That small comm. is not even helping. They still hater and gang going on.

well it doesnt mean the American school that has the problem but the people behind it. it depends anyway. because in America you'll see alot of gangs n discrimination, the other countries also have but not as many as in the US. you know that America is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries. people in it have to work together to make changes, not depending with their school. beside, America has highest ranks for the best colleges in the world.

Signature

You know the schools could have a lot more money if they stopped prioritizing sports over education. I still remembering classes being cancelled for the afternoon because there was a game on campus. Maybe use the extra funding to 1. buy some books that aren't falling apart. 2. hire teachers that aren't worthless. It is my experience that if you have good teachers you will do good in a subject even if you hate it.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yeah when I gradulated high school it was more on attendance than on grades, I failed a couple of classes and instead of them repeating me and/or holding me back they bumped my grade to a 70...sad, really sad

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Not just the US, Canadian school system is a joke too. You learn NOTHING in elementary school, almost nothing in high school, and suddenly you get into university and failing left and right. The transition from elementary school to high school, and from high school to university, wouldn't cause people to fail and drop out so badly if they actually taught good knowledge at each step and prepared you for the workload in the future.

I completed primary 1 (grade 1) in China, then grade 2~6 in Singapore. Basically Grade 1 math in China is about the same as grade 3 math in singapore. Grade 5-6 science classes in singapore is about the same as grade 10, even some grade 11, content from Canada's science courses.

Universities are the same difficulty all around the world usually, so really North American kids are not taught properly and no wonder so many people drop out of university because they cannot handle the workload and difficulty.

Seriously, when I did grade 7 in Canada I was like WTF, we do PE all day? Grade 7 math is multiplication? The prerequisite for getting into grade 1 in China is know the multiplication table by heart to at least 10x10. I remember memorizing the multiplication table when I was 4 years old, and here I find out that people learn how to multiply and decide during grade 4-5. Holy S**t

MillionVoices

~Live Your Life~

Speaking as one of the American students, I have to admit that there are much needed improvments in our education system. Although I was such a slacker in school, hardly showed up, rarely did my homework, I never found any of my courses to be challenging. I took honor classes because I thought that will help challenge me more.... wrong. I would have taken AP courses but I didn't feel like doing all of those projects that are required to take/pass the course. It's a wonder how I passed and graduated.

But those that are on tthe school boards that are trying (or not) to make improvements are not the only ones to blame. I also blame the students. If students would take thier work seriously, showed up for class, learn to respect their teachers better then the school's would not be in so much distress. But the way they were raised at home should also be accounted for.

In addition to that, there are many other things that are accounted for such poor academic levels in the US. For example, the drop- out rates in the US are so high because of students not showing up at school, troubles at home (this should seriously be accounted for because unless you know what the student is going through, you have no right to justify them for who you think thay are!), too much much apathy, etc. And with all of the campus shootings that have been going on in this country, most people are afraid of sending their kids off to school, so they resort to home schooling. It's like people can't even send their kids off to the one place they thought that they would be safe, school.

There is so much that everyone can do to make improvements, but the only way to get it done is if everyone does there part.

it doesnt matter, our colleges are the best. But that is if you are smart enough.
then why worry about our education system? smart people exist even in schools that are less priveleged. colleges realize that and so smartness if recognized.

cry me a river, most kids don't care about their education. why force them?
most of the average people will work at jobs that hardly have any marginal utility for the effort the school system puts into them. why bother?

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I think it is problem and we need to fix it and try to see if we can make all the schools on equal footing i feel that may help.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

Well education need to be improved one way or another. So if there something can be done, it better be.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.