Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer? - Minitokyo

Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer?

Are you hoping that our sufferings will end?

Yup! I'm hoping that these will end. :)
22 votes
I'm not sure, maybe... :\
9 votes
No!! There is no hope in this world!!! -_-
20 votes

Only members can vote.

page 5 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 185 total items

Quote by Persocom01
Christians believe that unbelievers will go to hell when they die. Thus it is hypocritical to provide physical aid without trying to share the gospel. To refuse aid isn't fair, I would agree. However in the event of limited resources, I think it's fair to give higher priority to people who would at least hear the gospel, than to those who would not, all things being equal.

The reason you don't understand what's wrong with that paragraph, is the same reason you'll never understand why religion has a negative impact on humanity as a whole.

Earlier you were blabbering about all the christian aid in the world, I think it's my turn now....

Norman Burlaug is a man who makes Mother Teresa look like the money grubbing, painkiller denying scumbag she really is. In the words of Penn Jilette, "Norman is the greatest human being, and you probably never heard of him."

Norman is a scientist. He's saved over a BILLION people. Their beliefs and their race didn't matter, Norman saved em all. He is the REAL savior of humanity.

While you're out preaching about how some christian donation fund did this and that while never even releasing their financial records, the scientists are out there doing the real work.

The scientists are out there searching through DNA strands to find diseases and figure out ways to get rid of them for good while the church is staging fake miracles to gain more followers. The scientists are developing the medical technology to save lives while the catholic church is still opposing birth control in AIDs ridden countries. They're developing the ways to get food to EVERYONE while missionaries are too busy passing out bibles. They're using evolution to create better crops while the church is trying to get creationism taught as real science. The scientists are spreading knowledge while the church spreads ignorance.

Quote: I couldn't think of a better way to put it across. My school teacher taught me that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, one which I would perfer not to use even today.

Wow you must be a real blast to hang out with. Woops...was that sarcasm? *Gasp* That was also sarcasm! Crap....If only I was as witty as you! ARG! Too much sarcasm! The language of the devil flows from me like water from a fountain! Damn that Mark Twain! Maybe this is the opposite of speaking in tongues? And I wonder what the highest form of wit is? Knock knock jokes perhaps? Carrot Top hitting people in the face with pies and playing with rubber chickens? Nah that's ridiculous, the highest form of wit is definitely fart jokes and woopie cushions! Ah well, if sarcasm is wrong I don't wanna be right.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Quote by Persocom01
Quote by tobiast88You haven't answered my question (again). Why are some parts of the bible not to be followed (i.e., stoning for arbitrary reasons), and why are others to be followed to the letter (i.e., Noah's Ark)? Which ones? And what about the question of gays in your religion? Give me a straight answer, instead of dancing around. I don't see why wearing two types of cloth was so "unholy" as to merit stoning. I agree that laws are provided to maintain societal order, although to "root out evil" as you say sounds extreme. And in the future, please refrain from random preaching comments such as this: "It is because of Jesus death on the cross for our sins that we are spared our own deaths." It is no more valid an argument than an unexplained appeal to authority, and I will disregard it as more christian nonsense. I argue with facts, not mythologies.

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28

It is written. By faith alone a man is justified without need for the laws. I am not trying to preach to you when I say that Jesus died for our sins. It is because of his death, and the new covenant he made with us that we do not need the laws. I cut out the conclusion of the chapter. For more elaboration on why we do not need the law you can read that chapter in the Bible. We are believing what the Bible says. It is not about cutting out parts we would like to believe and discarding the rest that sound unpleasent.

I believe that gays have to repent of their ways, just like adulterers, liars... etc. It should not be treated differently from any other sin, and Christians should aim to lead a sinless life.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." - Romans 7:19-23

Christians wage a war against their sinful natures all their lives.

Quote by tobiast88You have answered my question about the religious organisations, for which I thank you. However, you posted only a little higher up "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Kinda contradictory with the approach of "the christians go first for aid", no? Isn't a neighbour simply the person next to you, regardless of religion, skin color, sexual preference, etc? I believe that it is hypocritical to assert that christians will help anyone (thy neighbour), then turn around and only provide aid for those who submit to unwanted preaching.

"But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? And Jesus answering said, A certain [man] went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded [him], and departed, leaving [him] half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked [on him], and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion [on him], And went to [him], and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave [them] to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise." - Luke 10:29-37

This is the parable of the good samaritan. You are right that who your neighbour is does not depend on his religion or skin colour... etc, and yes, I agree that it is unfair to withhold aid from people who refuse Bible classes. However limited resources might make it necessary to choose who gets aid over who doesn't, in which case it is fair to choose to give aid to people who would give the gospel a chance, since you cannot afford to aid everyone. I also believe that people who are truely in need would accept free aid whomever it comes from, regardless of the conditions.

Quote by tobiast88Your example about afterlife is quite ironic. It asserts that christian people will help others in the purely selfish goal of a better afterlife, while atheists will help when motivated by their conscience, and since they expect no reward in a hypothetical future, their actions are completely unselfish. Atheists may not help as much in this case, but their actions must be considered much more moral than that of a christian racking up "good deeds" in order to get into heaven. Kant develops this argument (rather heavy reading, I might add) in "Criticism of Pure Reason", speaking of morality. My memory is rather vague on its finer points, such as the exact vocabulary (I just had a week of 4 hour tests, and I am letting summer wipe my brain) but Kant explains that morality can never be seen in the optic of reward, or else it is merely the research one's personal gain. In other words, selfishness. I recognize that christians are not conniving people who do good deeds just to get into heaven, but moral atheists who their good deeds never thinking how it might advance them in the afterlife must be considered in the light that they don't expect a reward. Is this not more moral than seeking to gain a better afterlife?

Yes, I would agree that it is selfish to do good works for that reason. However, I am not born a Christian. Nobody is. It takes faith to believe what is written in the Bible. God did not give us a heavenly bank account where we can check how much reward we have earned. I am human too. What if the rewards don't exist? They very well might not, don't you think?

It is through faith and love, more than our own selfishness, that we do good works. I don't think that anyone can keep up the self-sacrifice required by Christianity in the long run out of selfishness alone.

Quote by tobiast88Your evidence that "man did live with dinosaurs, and that the earth is 6000 years old" is not "evidence" per se: evidence is what constitutes a theory and then and only then validates it. Your "evidence" seeks to prove a theory not elaborated upon said "evidence"; it is alternate and arguably false interpretations of scientific data. Where scientists have fact and build theories upon them, you take the conclusion and seek what fits the bill to validate it. And I was not endoctrinated by the evolutionary theory: in science class we are presented with data, and given a chance to analyse it on our own, the theory I have heard in science class seems coherent to me, while your notion that god protected the genome so that incest was not a problem in ancient times seems irrational to me and not based on evidence. Your theory starts with facts and a conclusion, and seeks to fill out the middle; scientific theories begin with facts, then elaborate a theory and seek to prove it.
I have been following the "Why can't science and god go together?" thread and I say that I must agree with Plunkies: some of your posts are truly ostrich-like, burying the head in the sand and repeating "Goddidit". Also, what annoys Plunkies is that you have a tendancy to ignore his posts, evidence, and questions.

"god protected the genome so that incest was not a problem in ancient times" - Mr.tobiast88

God did not protect the genome. God created it perfect. The reason incest is a problem is due to an impefect genome, and the genome entropies with time due to mutation.

I cannot prove that what the Bible says is fact. I can only prove, using science, that it is possible. My statements are not mine alone, they are backed by scientists, and I often give only a short summary of their theories.

It is fair for you to believe what evolutionists say about the history of life. However, I will state that though they have evidence, they cannot prove that what they say happened really occured.

Some of the things that they cannot prove:
1. A single celled organism can evolve into a multicellular organism.
2. Life came from non-living matter.
3. How ape-like ancestors started walking upright.
4. Sex was a result of evolution.

Among many others. Their theory is far from absolute.

Quote by tobiast88If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, why are Shakespeare's comedies so widely renouned? They are chock-full of irony and sarcasm, and everybody laughs. Sarcasm may not feel nice when directed at you, so all the more reason to send it back. It isn't harmful in most cases, and when it becomes malicious, a simple apology is in order. Words are not the swords one may fear them to be.

I beg to differ. I am sure at one time it was popular entertainment to see gladiators kill each other in an arena, but that does not make killing right.

"There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise [is] health." - Proverbs 12:18

I believe in the dire consequences that words can cause. Words convey emotion, and can cause more harm than any sword. Read for yourself on the forum, many people say things like "I do not cry when I break my arm, but yet I cry when my girlfriend said that she hates me. Do you find it strange?". It is not unusual nor uncommon at all.

It is also said, "prevention is better than cure". You might also have heard people say, "if sorry can solve everything there wouldn't be wars". A simple apology isn't enough for everyone.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." - Proverbs 15:1

I don't support the use of sarcasm. There are other verses in the Bible that govern a Christian's conduct on speech, but this is what I can find for now.

"Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words." - Proverbs 23:9

If you think that I have avoided answering any questions I am sorry. I do not always give an answer to Mr.Plunkies it is obvious to me that it often falls on deaf ears. However to others who seek the truth as I do, it is not my intention to ignore any questions you have.

Since Persocom01 won't reply directly on the forum (perhaps afraid of having others involved) I have taken the liberty of quoting his post in my guestbook here.

Now.

Persocom01, I have told you, and I will not say it again. Preaching is not a valid argument. I have tried to talk civilly with you but your superciliousness is nothing short of insulting. All of your sources are the bible, which, as you know since I have many times stated to be an atheist, I do not believe in, and that does not constitute any form of proof in my eyes; even more so, since you throw them out as another appeal to authority, which proves that your fairytale book directs your thoughts. Can't you come up wih a better argument than "The Bible says such, so god says such, so this must be true"?

Quote by Persocom01"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28

It is written. By faith alone a man is justified without need for the laws. I am not trying to preach to you when I say that Jesus died for our sins. It is because of his death, and the new covenant he made with us that we do not need the laws. I cut out the conclusion of the chapter. For more elaboration on why we do not need the law you can read that chapter in the Bible. We are believing what the Bible says. It is not about cutting out parts we would like to believe and discarding the rest that sound unpleasent.

I believe that gays have to repent of their ways, just like adulterers, liars... etc. It should not be treated differently from any other sin, and Christians should aim to lead a sinless life.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." - Romans 7:19-23

Christians wage a war against their sinful natures all their lives.

This IS preaching. You toss out a bible verse, assert it to be true with no proof whatsoever, and then tell me "Jesus died for our sins". Honestly, I couldn't care less. Big sacrifice, he was revived three days later! This bible verse is particularlty vile, because it says in essence that the faithful need only obey the bible, not the law. And yet the bible advocates stoning at every turn. You DO cut out whatever becomes intolerable to society in the present: stoning is illegal now and would be overwhelmingly decried if applied; that is why it was stopped. However, gays are not yet recognized as a natural phenomenon (and I know you're going to argue this in your next post, but whatever) which is why the church still discriminates and hates gays (and bisexuals for that matter, like myself). If your religion doesn't cut out what is unpleasant, why is wearing two types of cloth at once a mortal sin? You have not answered that, nor have you answered why it was so grave an offense in ancient times, when according to you this rule was applicable. Being gay is not a sin. It is a natural way of life. Instead of loving one sex, you love the other. Big honkin' deal. And your quote: "Christians wage a war against their sinful natures all their lives." sounds suspiciously violent. Extreme-islamistic, perhaps?

For once you answer a question, mine about aid. You find it fair that with limited resources, christian aid organisations take priority with those who submit to their indoctrination, and leave the others aside with no help whatsoever. I do not. But since there are so many other aid organisations, secular ones which don't indoctrinate the recipients, I feel somewhat relieved. And your quote, again, proves nothing because if your christian aid organisations are the "good samaritan", your analogy does not apply since many, many others are willing to help the poor, the"man who went among thieves".

You completely evade my question about morality. I say that it is selfish to do good deeds as a christian, since you feel you know you will be rewarded in the afterlife. You say this nonsensical glob of text:

Quote by Persocom01Yes, I would agree that it is selfish to do good works for that reason. However, I am not born a Christian. Nobody is. It takes faith to believe what is written in the Bible. God did not give us a heavenly bank account where we can check how much reward we have earned. I am human too. What if the rewards don't exist? They very well might not, don't you think?

It is through faith and love, more than our own selfishness, that we do good works. I don't think that anyone can keep up the self-sacrifice required by Christianity in the long run out of selfishness alone.

Either clarify this, or answer my question honestly and as fully as you can, instead of posting irrelevant trash.

You also nitpick my post to find the one instance where I slightly misquoted you to develop an attack, without (once again) answering my question. I say your evidence is not evidence, but simple facts twisted to fit a preset conclusion - you type this:

Quote by Persocom01"god protected the genome so that incest was not a problem in ancient times" - Mr.tobiast88

God did not protect the genome. God created it perfect. The reason incest is a problem is due to an impefect genome, and the genome entropies with time due to mutation.

I cannot prove that what the Bible says is fact. I can only prove, using science, that it is possible. My statements are not mine alone, they are backed by scientists, and I often give only a short summary of their theories.

It is fair for you to believe what evolutionists say about the history of life. However, I will state that though they have evidence, they cannot prove that what they say happened really occured.

Some of the things that they cannot prove:
1. A single celled organism can evolve into a multicellular organism.
2. Life came from non-living matter.
3. How ape-like ancestors started walking upright.
4. Sex was a result of evolution.

Among many others. Their theory is far from absolute.

You admit the genome mutates. You admit that you cannot prove the bible to be fact. And as for your questions, their answers have been sufficiently detailed in the aforementioned thread, "Why can't science and god go together?". I will not type 6 pages of the same discussion, while you answer in the same way. Answer my question, and ask yourself why about 95% of the world's scientists back the evolutionary theory. It has sufficient proof. Yours has twisted facts, madcap theories, and "goddidit" at the center of it.

Quote by Persocom01Quote by tobiast88If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, why are Shakespeare's comedies so widely renouned? They are chock-full of irony and sarcasm, and everybody laughs. Sarcasm may not feel nice when directed at you, so all the more reason to send it back. It isn't harmful in most cases, and when it becomes malicious, a simple apology is in order. Words are not the swords one may fear them to be.

I beg to differ. I am sure at one time it was popular entertainment to see gladiators kill each other in an arena, but that does not make killing right.

"There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise [is] health." - Proverbs 12:18

I believe in the dire consequences that words can cause. Words convey emotion, and can cause more harm than any sword. Read for yourself on the forum, many people say things like "I do not cry when I break my arm, but yet I cry when my girlfriend said that she hates me. Do you find it strange?". It is not unusual nor uncommon at all.

It is also said, "prevention is better than cure". You might also have heard people say, "if sorry can solve everything there wouldn't be wars". A simple apology isn't enough for everyone.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." - Proverbs 15:1

I don't support the use of sarcasm. There are other verses in the Bible that govern a Christian's conduct on speech, but this is what I can find for now.

"Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words." - Proverbs 23:9

If you think that I have avoided answering any questions I am sorry. I do not always give an answer to Mr.Plunkies it is obvious to me that it often falls on deaf ears. However to others who seek the truth as I do, it is not my intention to ignore any questions you have.

Well I'm not christian, so I'll be as sarcastic as I choose. And it is obvious you avoid questions: a third of the time it's goddidit, another third you can't prove it (which someone does later), and the last third it's complete ignoring of said proof to focus on a minor misquote, gray area, etc; just plain nitpicking. And stop the patronising, arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude, because it really isn't conducive to intelligent discussion; it only makes one desperately want to mock you. You are probably the finest specimen of supercilious christianity on the planet.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ ---> for science vs religion discussion
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ ---> for tolerant people

Quote: I beg to differ. I am sure at one time it was popular entertainment to see gladiators kill each other in an arena, but that does not make killing right.

Heh, perso isn't a fan of shakespeare! What a surprise. Not only that but he actually compares it to the gladiatorial battles of ancient rome! Wow. That's....Wow. At this point I'm almost certain persocom lives in a padded room.

Quote: If you think that I have avoided answering any questions I am sorry. I do not always give an answer to Mr.Plunkies it is obvious to me that it often falls on deaf ears. However to others who seek the truth as I do, it is not my intention to ignore any questions you have.

No skippy, you are the one who avoids my questions. You even said yourself that you ignore my evidence while still claiming I have none. I've answered everything you've posted while you dodge the vast majority of my posts. You had no problem with my sarcasm until it was blatently obvious that I was going to discredit anything you had with very little effort. Infact at one point earlier in the thread I stopped arguing and you actually harassed me back into it.

Boogers
&
Tacos

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

I won't spare the time to read long posts, so if you have questions, ask them 1 by 1.

Quote by Persocom01I won't spare the time to read long posts, so if you have questions, ask them 1 by 1.

Perso has no time for foolish things like "reading". He's a busy man with appointments to keep! How dare you overwhelm him with your lengthy, well-thought responses! The nerve of some people!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by Plunkies

Quote by Persocom01I won't spare the time to read long posts, so if you have questions, ask them 1 by 1.

Perso has no time for foolish things like "reading". He's a busy man with appointments to keep! How dare you overwhelm him with your lengthy, well-thought responses! The nerve of some people!

Yup, however I think it's fair since you have people from the atheists group on your side, so ask your questions, 1 at a time, instead of making "well-thought" responses like this.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

So you won't answer my questions, whereas I answered the paving block of text you dropped in my guestbook? Lazy or coward?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88So you won't answer my questions, whereas I answered the paving block of text you dropped in my guestbook? Lazy or coward?

Won't answer? There are more than 1 of you asking questions, so it would be hard for me as the one being asked. I'm only asking for fairer conditions where I can answer your questions. Moreover, I'm not sure what your point is in your answers, let alone a new reader. So go ahead and ask clearly, instead of accusing me needlessly.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

I am asking you to answer my questions. Here are instructions, since you don't seem to understand how this works: 1 Read the post 2 Find the questions 3 Answer the questions istead of A Dancing around them B Ignoring them C Finding a small fault in the post and latching on it for no particular reason other that you need to find something you actually have a rebuttal for. But since these may prove to be too much (sindce you obviously don't want to read, you poor thing) Here are the questions. See how nice I am?

- Why are some parts of the bible not to be followed today (such as stoning for wearing two types of clothing), but others must be incontrovertibly true (Noah's Ark, gays must "repent", etc)? If you say historic reasons, why was wearing two types of cloth passable of stoning? Who magically decides what should be followed, and what shouldn't?

- I say that it is selfish to do good deeds as a christian, since you feel you know you will be rewarded in the afterlife. You say this nonsensical glob of text:

Quote by Persocom01Yes, I would agree that it is selfish to do good works for that reason. However, I am not born a Christian. Nobody is. It takes faith to believe what is written in the Bible. God did not give us a heavenly bank account where we can check how much reward we have earned. I am human too. What if the rewards don't exist? They very well might not, don't you think?

Either clarify this, or answer my question honestly and as fully as you can, instead of posting irrelevant trash.

- You say that aid should be given to those who accept your indoctrination in priority, while the others are given nothing. How do you find this fair? Although, since many more secular aid organisations provide aid to anyone, I guess I shouldn't be worried about this blatant unwanted indoctrination while a person is in a weakened state - a process used commonly by sects.

- I say your evidence is not evidence, but simple facts twisted to fit a preset conclusion. You admit the genome mutates. You admit that you cannot prove the bible to be fact. And as for your questions, their answers have been sufficiently detailed in the aforementioned thread, "Why can't science and god go together?". I will not type 6 pages of the same discussion, while you answer in the same way. Answer my question, and ask yourself why about 95% of the world's scientists back the evolutionary theory. It has sufficient proof. Yours has twisted facts, madcap theories, and "goddidit" at the center of it.

- And now some base rules: preaching bible verses is not a valid argument; bible verses are allowed as arguing material as long as explanations follow of why this is relevant; and stop the patronising, arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude, because it really isn't conducive to intelligent discussion: it only makes one desperately want to mock you. You are probably the finest specimen of supercilious christianity on the planet. But this might be still too long for you, and you might ignore it again. Ho-hum, another day in delusion-land - and yes, this is sarcasm, the devil speaks through my mouth, bwahaha. Deal with it. I'll be sarcastic as long as you preach from your diamond pedestal.

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88- Why are some parts of the bible not to be followed today (such as stoning for wearing two types of clothing), but others must be incontrovertibly true (Noah's Ark, gays must "repent", etc)? If you say historic reasons, why was wearing two types of cloth passable of stoning? Who magically decides what should be followed, and what shouldn't?

We follow all parts of the Bible. I'll give you an illustration to aid your understanding:

1. God tells you that you have to go plant potatoes in your garden so that you will have potatoes to eat.
2. A new supermarket opens in your town.
3. God says: you don't need to plant potatoes anymore, you can now get them from the supermarket.

So are you obeying God when you buy potatoes from the supermarket instead of planting them? Yes you are.

1. God once gave the Israelites the law.
2. Jesus dies for our sins.
3. Because of Jesus' death we have: "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28

God says we don't need the law to be justified now. So are we following everything that God tells us to do even if we don't adhere to the law? Yes we are. If you have more questions on this point ask, before we move on.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Very well. So you have a small voice in your head that says "do this, do that, in order to obey god"? Or does the bible predict supermarkets, i.e. changes, by saying "OK, when this comes around, you may do this instead of that"? I don't think so. You just ignore that part of the bible because it's incredibly foolish in our context.

And your second syllogism makes no sense whatsoever. Clarify it.

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88Very well. So you have a small voice in your head that says "do this, do that, in order to obey god"? Or does the bible predict supermarkets, i.e. changes? I don't think so. You just ignore that part of the bible because it's incredibly foolish.

And your second syllogism makes no sense whatsoever. Clarify it.

Predicts? God knows the past, present and the future. The Bible contains prophecies that extend even to the dimise of earth. Besides that you think it's foolish, I don't see your point, nor do I see why you think I'm ignoring part of the Bible.

I think the second train of logic is quite clear. Tell me which part you don't understand.

Quote by Persocom01Predicts? God knows the past, present and the future. Besides that you think it's foolish, I don't see your point.

I think he means how do you decide which is relevant today and what isn't? Is it a voice in your head? How do you know?

Quote: I think the second train of logic is quite clear. Tell me which part you don't understand.

I actually don't follow it either...

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

I said preaching is not a valid argument. You ignored that, didn't you? Anyway, how exactly are you informed that this certain thing is suddenly ok with god?

Your second syllogism makes no sense, because the first two propositions (the major and the minor) have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They therefore cannot be put together to find the completely random bible quote you spewed out. Explain it better.

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88I said preaching is not a valid argument. You ignored that, didn't you? Anyway, how exactly are you informed that this certain thing is suddenly ok with god?

Your second syllogism makes no sense, because the first two propositions (the major and the minor) have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They therefore cannot be put together to find the completely random bible quote you spewed out. Explain it better.

Alright, I'll explain in further detail. Since we are talking about the application of the Bible, I'll have to use referances from the Bible.

1. God tells you that you have to go plant potatoes in your garden so that you will have potatoes to eat.
2. A new supermarket opens in your town.
3. God then tells you that you don't need to plant potatoes anymore, you can now get them from the supermarket.

So are we following all of what God said when we buy potatoes from the supermarket? Yes we are.

1. God once gave the Israelites the law, following which a man can be justified in the eyes of God.
2. Now enters Jesus, who says, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." - John 3:36
3. After Jesus, we have, "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28

So we do not need the law, and we are following what the Bible says. If you still don't understand ask me again.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

That wasn't the question.... but ignore that too, ok? The question was, how does god inform you that "you don't need to plant potatoes anymore, you can now get them from the supermarket."

And your syllogism still makes no sense. The first and second proposition MUST have a direct link for logic to work. But logic? For christians? Perish the thought, the bible tells you how to think! Explain this particular piece of (very) faulty logic in more detail, please.

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88That wasn't the question.... but ignore that too, ok? The question was, how does god inform you that "you don't need to plant potatoes anymore, you can now get them from the supermarket."

God informs us through the Bible. It directly says: "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28, and I'm sure you have heard that the Bible is the word of God.

So... to make it clearer, God tells us though the Bible that we do not need the deeds of the law anymore to be justified.

Anymore questions on this before I move on?

Air

Sakura lover

That's simple.
Because God doesn't exist.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

That wasn't the question either, since the bible doesn't update like god's blog, and says, ok today, all christians can now do such! The bible is a finite book with very precise rules that say kill this person if they do this. How does god inform you that you musn't kill this person for this, even though it's written in the bible (like my exaple of stoning for wearing two types of cloth)
I'll repeat it, since you obviously have trouble grasping this: the bible says kill this man because he wears two different cloths on himself. You don't go around with an Uzi checking the tags on people's T-shirts, and if they're half cotton half linen you gun them down and are perfectly justified by your holy book. Therefore, how are you informed that this particular bible rule does not apply today?

And you STILL have not explained your faulty syllogism. You ignored my request - what a surprise.
And don't you find it marvelously convenient that that your book says that you are perfectly justified in doing the things said in this book, whether they be stupid, violent, or just plain wrong? It may go against every law on earth, but you're justified. *sarcasm*

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88That wasn't the question either, since the bible doesn't update like god's blog, and says, ok today, all christians can now do such! The bible is a finite book with very precise rules that say kill this person if they do this. How does god inform you that you musn't kill this person for this, even though it's written in the bible (like my exaple of stoning for wearing two types of cloth)
I'll repeat it, since you obviously have trouble grasping this: the bible says kill this man because he wears two different cloths on himself. You don't go around with an Uzi checking the tags on people's T-shirts, and if they're half cotton half linen you gun them down and are perfectly justified by your holy book. Therefore, how are you informed that this particular bible rule does not apply today?

That rule, along with all other similar old testament rules, are collectively known as the law.

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28

And the Bible says we do not need the deeds of the law. And since we apply all that the Bible tells us, yes we apply this rule, that we are justified by faith alone, today.

Anymore questions on this before I move on? I am trying to clarify things with you on a 1 question by 1 question basis. I am not ignoring you. If you say you understand I'll move on.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Oh? Where did that come from? When you say "law", I hear law in the judicial sense, something belonging to the state. You say the old testament rules are "the law". Where did this little piece of wisdom come from? And do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today? What if "faith" tells you to kill all those who don't agree with you?

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88Oh? Where did that come from? When you say "law", I hear law in the judicial sense, something belonging to the state. You say the old testament rules are "the law". Where did this little piece of wisdom come from?

"And this [is] the law of the meat offering: the sons of Aaron shall offer it before the LORD, before the altar." - Leviticus 6:14

"Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law?" - Matthew 22:36

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." - Matthew 22:40

The Bible calls it the law. In this verse, and many, many others, we find those rules being refered to as the law.

Are you satisfied that they are refered to as the law? And can I move on?

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

No, because - sigh - you haven't answered my question! You've ignored it again, what a surprise! Why do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today? What if "faith" tells you to kill all those who don't agree with you?

Join the groups!

page 5 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 185 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.