Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer? - Minitokyo

Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer?

Are you hoping that our sufferings will end?

Yup! I'm hoping that these will end. :)
22 votes
I'm not sure, maybe... :\
9 votes
No!! There is no hope in this world!!! -_-
20 votes

Only members can vote.

page 6 of 8 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 185 total items

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88No, because - sigh - you haven't answered my question! You've ignored it again, what a surprise! Why do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today? What if "faith" tells you to kill all those who don't agree with you?

I will answer your questions 1 by 1 once you understand them 1 by 1.

"Oh? Where did that come from? When you say "law", I hear law in the judicial sense, something belonging to the state. You say the old testament rules are "the law". Where did this little piece of wisdom come from?" - Mr.tobiast88

"And this [is] the law of the meat offering: the sons of Aaron shall offer it before the LORD, before the altar." - Leviticus 6:14

"Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law?" - Matthew 22:36

The Bible calls it the law. In this verse, and many, many others, we find those rules being refered to as the law.

Do you now understand that in "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." - Romans 3:28, the law refers to the rules in the old testament? Say that you do, and I'll move on.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

I thought that was clear. Yes, I understand that you believe that bible says that this part of the bible is no longer relevant; however you have failed to explain why, apart from giving me useless bible quotes. But since it is a valid interpretation, let's move on. Answer my question now? Why do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today? What if "faith" tells you to kill all those who don't agree with you?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ ---> for science vs religion discussion
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ ---> for tolerant people

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88Why do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today?

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them." - Leviticus 20:13

We do not apply this rule today since the Bible says there is no need to. However it is still a guideline for what God considers sin. God did not suddenly change his mind after Jesus and say, "It's not sin anymore to have sex with another man." So a man having sex with another man is still sin.

Has this answered your question? And can I move on?

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

So it's not applied, but still an abomination? Then those who wear two kinds of cloth together are also damned, because it's a sin? Who decides what's an abomination? How dare you make moral judgements based on a book written centuries ago by people who had a fraction of the knowledge we have now?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, Litterature Nobel Prize winner.
Join the groups!

samu02

Back to Basics

Can I butt in? Or should I wait for my turn?
To Mr. Tobias: I thought you said "moral" judgments, yet you refered to modern day knowledge and chastised a race because they aren't as smart as we are now. There are people of great knowledge with little or no morality at all. Should knowledge be a prerequisite of Morality? Did what they consider morally right now is considered morally wrong? Please insult me with your defense and twist my words as you wish...

merged: 06-19-2006 ~ 07:57pm
"Why do you still apply some of these old testament rules, like the ones about gays, still today? What if "faith" tells you to kill all those who don't agree with you?"

Shouldn't I apply them when I see some reason why they should be honored? If "faith" tells me to kill people like you, would I do it? "Faith" in what? In whom? In God, you mean. If I have faith in God I wouldn't have any reason to kill people who disagree with my "faith". "Faith" in God wouldn't need such a vulgar show of fanaticism.

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Oh, I'm twisting words? When did I say race? Why must what was right centuries ago be right today? They didn't know what we know today, I'm not blaming them; I'm blaming the christians in general for perpetuating antiquated, obsolete rules that no longer have grounds to exist. And if you insist that I insult you, I will, but I will not twist words as you have done, because I actually argue, I don't throw out bible verses and assert they must be true because they're the bible. Also, I 've tried to be civil, but you christians are so supercilious and holier-than-thou that sometimes I get annoyed, as it is happening with Persocom01.

And faith doesn't tell you to kill people? Have you even READ the book you love to quote? The example that I have been repeating is that they used to kill people for wearing two types of cloth at the same time, or for planting two types of crops in the same field! Fanaticism? Nooooo..... And why do you need to enforce these rules? Who tells you to? The voice of god in your head? Where do you find reason in persecuting gays, except in your mad little holy book, who do nothing to you at all?

You say that there are people with great knowledge and without morals. So? There are people with great knowledge AND morals. You prove nothing. And yes, knowledge is a prerequisite to morality. People didn't know witches don't exist, and there were the Inquisition and the Salem Witch Trials. Or do you believe that was "justified"?

Join the groups!

The suffering of the world was not originaly intended, as you can see that God had intended for humans to live forever upon earth (Psalm 37:29). The reason God does not end all suffering is because Satan challenged God's rulership because he called him a liar by telling Adam and Eve the opposite of what God had said (Genesis 4:3-5), and had basically said that mankind was fit to rule themselves.

Because of Satan's treachery him and his demons were cast out of heaven and onto earth (Revelation 12:9). So this world is currently under Satan's control (1 John 5:19), God is not the one causing the suffering, it is Satan. The reason he does not stop Satan yet is because of the challenge he made. If God would have ignored the challenge and destroyed Satan and his demons, the challenge would never have been proven wrong. God is currently prooving that humans are not fit to rule themselves. If God had not answered Satan's challenge that would have opened a way up for another angel to do the same thing Satan had done (because Satan is basically an angel gone astray), and the issue of universal sovereignty (God's right to rule everything) would never be resolved.

\\\"Pervert!!!\\\" -Naru Narusegewa
member ofhinalovers
animated-animation

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Oh, so our suffering is a BET?! God is letting us suffer because he wants to prove Satan wrong? If you believe this, I really think that I'm justified in not following your religion. This is sick. God, the omnipotent, omnibenevolent thing in the sky needs to prove a point? This guy needs therapy for serious insecurity issues. Why exactly are we not fit to rule ourselves?
And since we've been ruling ourselves for the last 5000 years or thereabout, I'd say Satan is winning.

Join the groups!

samu02

Back to Basics

Oh you didn't say race, did you? Just the people who happened to have written the bible. You have a point. Why must what was right centuries ago be right today? Probably because the right ones are the ones survived until today. Probably because the right ones hasn't been disproven or said to be wrong. Here, your probably gonna point out something that was considered right then and wrong now to disprove what I say. Tsk. Like that particular wrong was the one I'm talking about.
The obsolete rules were written by the jews actually, since you like taking your "arguments" from the old testament, not Christians. Oh what's the difference, you'd probably say. You're a smart person. You wouldn't state that. Oh, and I read the bible, and see no point in quoting it for your pleasure. I make my defense with what I know. As you do yours. I need only the guidance of the bible, I don't need it to be my shield. So if you are going to argue about faith, then you need not refer to, as you affectionately would have called it, a fairy tale book. You direct your arguments to the believer. And a true believer wouldn't hide behind "a book". You see us christians as supercilious and holier-than-thou, funny, I see most atheists as arrogant, ignorant, and self-righteous when the talk of God comes into play.
MY faith doesn't tell me to kill people. You say that people were killed for trivial things. I see that you are indeed ignorant. Have they done so because of faith. No. They have done so because that was the law of their land. That was their custom. The mistake you keep repeating to make is that you associate everything written in the bible as the will of God. Did God tell Cain to kill Abel? Did God tell the pagans to sacrifice their false gods? And Christ did help one of the soldiers who's ear was cut off, though that soldier was to take him before the Pharisees to be executed. He didn't hit him, or ran away. Now, that is a scene worthy of praise don't you think. Not the "killer" faith that fanatics follow. And I do not force my belief on anyone, mind you. It kinda goes against the whole free will thing. Who tells me to do stuff, why I do of course. No need to blame it on Him. It wasn't his hands that took loose change or strangled anyone. We chose to do it. As I choose to do this, and you choose to respond to it the wa you know how. Oh, and just a little off the topic question, why the great need of defending the persecution of gays? And who persecutes them anyways, they could always use the law of their land and sue.
And so their ARE men of great knowledge and great morals, and most of them are great christians as well. You prove nothing too. As I never said that a person could not be of great knowledge and of great morals at the same time is impossible to exist. While men of great knowledge and little morals is common sight these days that they disgrace the others that do have morals. Knowledge IS a prerequisite to morality, you say. Have you heard the one about the lawyers and their "moral vacuum" when handling a case, or the one about a brilliant politician who has amassed great wealth through corruption, or about the highly intelligent biochemist who created a new strain of virus to plague the world. Since by your argument that knowledge is prerequisite to morality, then these people are... what exactly? Oh and about the Inquisition and Salem Witch Trials. You'd be glad to know that the victims weren't witches. Duh. And the neighbor that said they were, knew it too. But it's just convenient for them to point the finger at their enemy and have someone else take care of the dirty work. And the witch hunters are just sooo happy to have a job during the dark ages, and one which gives them great power. I imagine the fear of the young local girl should she refuse the advances of a witch hunter. People didn't do those horrible things because of "belief", they did those things because it was convenient.
Oh, and please do not presume that I defend the belief of the entire christendom. As what I believe is not the same as what another christian would believe, the same as twins wouldn't be exactly the same in every aspect.
I defend what I believe. As you defend yours.

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Quote by tobiast88Oh, so our suffering is a BET?! God is letting us suffer because he wants to prove Satan wrong? If you believe this, I really think that I'm justified in not following your religion. This is sick. God, the omnipotent, omnibenevolent thing in the sky needs to prove a point? This guy needs therapy for serious insecurity issues. Why exactly are we not fit to rule ourselves?
And since we've been ruling ourselves for the last 5000 years or thereabout, I'd say Satan is winning.

I see your point and why you may be frustrated, but the bible promises of a time when the righteous will enherit the earth (Psalm 37:29, Revelation 21:4). God will resurrect all those that are righteous and innocent, and humans will then be able to live in peace for eternity.

And samu, I would just like to say I really respect your views that you mentioned in the previous post

\\\"Pervert!!!\\\" -Naru Narusegewa
member ofhinalovers
animated-animation

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Ah, thank you for not being another Persocom01, shrill and self-righteous. I apologize to you for assuming you were of his ilk. However, it would be nice if you could space your text out a little.

Now, down to brass tacks.

Quote by samu02Why must what was right centuries ago be right today? Probably because the right ones are the ones survived until today. Probably because the right ones hasn't been disproven or said to be wrong. Here, your probably gonna point out something that was considered right then and wrong now to disprove what I say. Tsk. Like that particular wrong was the one I'm talking about.

You must admit that certain behaviours that were considered normal at the time are not so today: slavery is one example, another is mine of the two cloths. Therefore, we see that some human traits evolve (and some christians hate that word, I know) and become something else. Slavery is no longer permitted or condoned, nor is a stoning for wearing a certain T-shirt. But, an attitude that survives until today may not be right. It may be perpetuated out of ignorance, tradition, etc - like the veil in islamic countries. That is one facet of islamic cultures I despise. This proves, whether you like it or not, that some things considered perfectly right ages ago is not today. I have established the existence of these outdated attitudes, and now I apply them to tenets of your religion.

You say the Jews established these tenets and christians are therefore not responsible for them? You could simply not follow them. But as they are written in the bible, and there are also senseless interdictions in the new testament, you follow them. You are responsible for following them, not their existence.

As for atheists being arrogant and ignorant when speaking about god, that may be true - just as some christians are supercilious and holier-than-thou. You are not being supercilious and holier-than-thou when speaking to me, I can see it in your posts. I will therefore not be arrogant and self-righteous in mine.

Quote by samu02MY faith doesn't tell me to kill people. You say that people were killed for trivial things. I see that you are indeed ignorant. Have they done so because of faith. No. They have done so because that was the law of their land. That was their custom. The mistake you keep repeating to make is that you associate everything written in the bible as the will of God. Did God tell Cain to kill Abel? Did God tell the pagans to sacrifice their false gods? And Christ did help one of the soldiers who's ear was cut off, though that soldier was to take him before the Pharisees to be executed. He didn't hit him, or ran away. Now, that is a scene worthy of praise don't you think. Not the "killer" faith that fanatics follow.

I'll thank you not to call me ignorant. I have not yet lapsed into name calling you, and I would like to keep this particular discussion civil. People killed people for trivial reasons. These trivial reasons are written in the bible. Is it not natural to assert that these killings were for religious reasons? If it is inscribed in the bible, can you explain why it's not "the will of god"? I'll also ignore the cheap and childish jab at islam as a "killer faith". There is much more to it than jihad and the veil, and you should try to understand the sources of this problem, ie, the misrepresentation of jihad in the moslem faith.

Quote by samu02Why the great need of defending the persecution of gays? And who persecutes them anyways, they could always use the law of their land and sue.

Because this is a major point in all religions. Also, I am bisexual. I would like to know why christians are so hostile to homosexuality when it does nothing to bother them. Also, "the law of their land" is usually woefully inadequate because of religious traces in the judicial system. In America for example, the last anti-sodomy law was struck down in 2003. In France, 1982. In Britain, 2000. In Germany, 1994. There are few cases that actually succeed because of anti-gay religion-induced prejudice.

Quote by samu02And so their ARE men of great knowledge and great morals, and most of them are great christians as well. You prove nothing too. As I never said that a person could not be of great knowledge and of great morals at the same time is impossible to exist. While men of great knowledge and little morals is common sight these days that they disgrace the others that do have morals. Knowledge IS a prerequisite to morality, you say. Have you heard the one about the lawyers and their "moral vacuum" when handling a case, or the one about a brilliant politician who has amassed great wealth through corruption, or about the highly intelligent biochemist who created a new strain of virus to plague the world. Since by your argument that knowledge is prerequisite to morality, then these people are... what exactly?

They are men of intelligence, but no morals, as you said. A prerequisite to moralty does not necessarily mean that morality will, in every case, ensue.

Quote by samu02Oh and about the Inquisition and Salem Witch Trials. You'd be glad to know that the victims weren't witches. Duh. And the neighbor that said they were, knew it too. But it's just convenient for them to point the finger at their enemy and have someone else take care of the dirty work. And the witch hunters are just sooo happy to have a job during the dark ages, and one which gives them great power. I imagine the fear of the young local girl should she refuse the advances of a witch hunter. People didn't do those horrible things because of "belief", they did those things because it was convenient.

But it certainly was convenient, since sanctioned by religion. And you can't tell me some of them truly did not believe it. Many believed it completely, since it was written in the bible.

By the way, how old do you think the earth is? Do you believe in evolution?

DarkestMage, I do not believe in your religion. You saying "the bible says we'll all resurrect" or "there are flying pigs on Mars" has the same effect on me. In essence, you are saying that god is ignoring us because he needs to prove a point, to something he created, but when it'll all be over, all the nice people will rule the earth and they'll all live happily ever after. This, to me, sounds ridiculous. If this is true, god is a stubborn, uncaring, idiot. He could save us, but he wants to prove a point. If he were so omnipotent, couldn't he find a way to do both? Or is he powerless in that domain? A powerless god? Do you see how ridiculous this gets?

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88So it's not applied, but still an abomination? Then those who wear two kinds of cloth together are also damned, because it's a sin? Who decides what's an abomination? How dare you make moral judgements based on a book written centuries ago by people who had a fraction of the knowledge we have now?

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them." - Leviticus 20:13

God said it was an abomination, and so it is. "a book written centuries ago by people who had a fraction of the knowledge we have now" No it is the word of God, who knew everything from the beginning to the end. I might sound "holier than thou" but since we are debating about Christianity and the Bible, we'll have to assume that the statement is true.

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." - Lev 19:19

Note that there is no punishment mentioned in this verse, nor did God call it an abomination. When in doubt, I'll refer to the two greatest commandments:

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

I'll say it isn't a sin to wear simple polysynthetic clothing today.

Does that answer your questions? And can I go on?

Btw Mr.tobiast88, I might sound "holier than thou", because, I honestly think that Mr.alexjohnc3 and Mr.Plunkies whom I debate with are foolish bigots, although this perception is probably mutual, and you are on their side. While I will answer your questions, I do recognise the intent behind them. Do not ask for the sake of asking. Ask what you really want to know.

erm..didnt really read much from this thread cept skimmin through the last few posts...

actullay imo, god allow us to suffer for his amusement <.< gd enough ans?

^ was j/k since the mood for the last few posts seems to be filled with negative emotions =s

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Thank you, I can read. Your post contained a bible verse that said homosexuality was an abomination; I read it, and questioned why it was an abomination, and you post the same bible verse with "abomination" so helpfully bolded.

Quote by Persocom01God said it was an abomination, and so it is. "a book written centuries ago by people who had a fraction of the knowledge we have now" No it is the word of God, who knew everything from the beginning to the end. I might sound "holier than thou" but since we are debating about Christianity and the Bible, we'll have to assume that the statement is true.

So you are assuming that what you say is right? You're assuming that what you read is the the direct word of the lord? Is this a sane foundation for an argument? I put what I believe in question when I argue with you: if you can convince me, I will follow your religion. You on the other hand cling to your beliefs like a tick, and will not let go of your bible which obviously thinks for you. This is laughable. "I assume my statement is true - therefore you are wrong, and what I say is obviously true". Do you have absolutely no sense of logic whatsoever, or do you not grasp what you are saying?

Quote by Persocom01"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." - Lev 19:19

Note that there is no punishment mentioned in this verse, nor did God call it an abomination. When in doubt, I'll refer to the two greatest commandments:

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

I'll say it isn't a sin to wear simple polysynthetic clothing today.

But it's still expressedly forbidden, making it a sin, no? Oh, but no, you're allowed to pick and choose what to apply right, by Romans 3:28.

What I truly want to know is why wearing two kinds of clothing and homosexuality are so forbidden. Both seem nonsensical to me. Explain them without the bible, please, because the whole book sickens me.

Also, I have no problem with you using Mr, you're the one ridiculising yourself. Why would you give me respect, since according to your bible I should have been killed long ago? (fornication before marriage, and with a man, oh shock and horror!) And your use of Mr isn't holier than thou, your entire POSTS are holier than thou. They are snide, supercilious, condescending, and patronising. You are transmitting a feeling of vast superiority where absolutely none is justified. Call me the Antichrist if you will, but get off your pedestal, let go of your bible, answer questions fully, don't ignore whole parts of posts, and discuss seriously.

Join the groups!

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88But it's still expressedly forbidden, making it a sin, no?

What I truly want to know is why wearing two kinds of clothing and homosexuality are so forbidden. Both seem nonsensical to me. Explain them without the bible, please, because the whole book sickens me.

Homosexuality is an abomination to God. So it is forbidden. You understand right? Let's look at the verse concerning "two kinds of cloth":

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." - Leviticus 19:19

To know what is sin to God, we have to understand his intent.

"Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of linen and woolen together; but this may as well refer to a garment made up of a sort of patchwork differently colored and arranged for pride and for show. A folly of this kind prevailed anciently in this very land, and I shall give a proof of it, taken from a sermon against luxury in dress, composed in the fourteenth century.
â?As to the first sinne in superfluitie of clothing, soche that maketh it so dere, to the harme of the peple, nat only the cost of enbrauderlng, the disguised endenting, or barring, ounding paling, winding or bending and semblable wast of clothe in vanite. But there is also the costlewe furring in their gounes, so moche pounsing of chesel, to make holes; so moche dagging with sheres foorth; with the superfluitie in length of the forsaied gounes, - to grete dammage of pore folke - And more ouer - they shewe throughe disguising, in departing of ther hosen in white and red, semeth that halfe ther members were slain - They departe ther hosen into other colors, as is white and blewe, or white and blacke, or blacke and red, and so forth; than semeth it as by variaunce of color, that the halfe part of ther members ben corrupt by the fire of Saint Anthony, or by canker, or other suche mischaunce.â?
The Parsonâ?s Tale, in Chaucer, p. 198. Urryâ?s edit.
The reader will pardon the antiquated spelling. â?What could exhibit,â? says Dr. Henry, â?a more fantastical appearance than an English beau of the 14th century? He wore long pointed shoes, fastened to his knees by gold or silver chains; hose of one color on the one leg, and of another color on the other; short breeches which did reach to the middle of his thighs; a coat the one half white, the other half black or blue; a long beard; a silk hood buttoned under his chin, embroidered with grotesque figures of animals, dancing men, etc., and sometimes ornamented with gold and precious stones.â? This dress was the height of the mode in the reign of King Edward III. Something of the same kind seems to have existed in the patriarchal times; witness the coat of many colors made by Jacob for his son Joseph. See the note on Gen_37:3. Concerning these different mixtures much may be seen in the Mishna, Tract, Kilaim, and in Ainsworth, and Calmet on this place." - The Adam Clarke Bible Commentry

According to this commentry, God does not desire people to wear clothing meant for "pride and for show".

I am discussing seriously. Since we are discussing about the Bible, I see no reason why I shouldn't quote from it. Still unsure? Or can I move on?

"Also, I have no problem with you using Mr, you're the one ridiculising yourself. Why would you give me respect, since according to your bible I should have been killed long ago? (fornication before marriage, and with a man, oh shock and horror!)" - tobiast88

That is true, you should be killed. This is also true: I should be killed. (innumerable counts of betrayal against God) Why would I give you respect? It's because God says that he loves you, so I should also love you.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

*claps* Finally, you answer a question! So wearing differnet cloths at the same time is pride and vanity. Very well.

However, your second "answer" is nothing short of preposterous. I said before that you are not answering questions, and here is a prime example. I ask why homosexuality is an abomination; you answer "Homosexuality is an abomination to God. So it is forbidden." May I ask why? (for the nth time) Why is homosexuality forbidden? And don't you dare post that bible verse again. Justify it rationally.

And if I allow you to quote the bible, you spew out long snips of text that are meaningless because they are not relevant. The bible was written ages ago - yes, ages, it is a book, not god's word, it was written - and does not apply today. All those interdictions that you say you can ignore now, thanks to the bible verse that says basically "feel your way through", were applied in ancient times, died out, and I can assure you all the others will die out eventually. So use more rational sources, instead of tossing out verses to and fro.

Now, by all means, move on. To my question.

God loves me? I don't care. An inconceivable being loving me no matter what inconceivably bad thing I do is, guess what, inconceivable. Plus, you're preaching again, a bad habit I see, so get this: I DO NOT CARE ABOUT GOD SINCE HE DOES NOT EXIST IN MY VIEW. Which is probably the right one given the evidence, but you ignore that too.

Join the groups!

Quote by tobiast88However, your second "answer" is nothing short of preposterous. I said before that you are not answering questions, and here is a prime example. I ask why homosexuality is an abomination; you answer "Homosexuality is an abomination to God. So it is forbidden." May I ask why? (for the nth time) Why is homosexuality forbidden? And don't you dare post that bible verse again. Justify it rationally.

God, tobiast. He shouldn't have to tell you everything. God's just a homophobe of course. Actually, the Christians that are actually against homosexuality, from my experience online, tend just to think it's icky and therefore it's okay to persecute homosexuals. I highly doubt there's any other reason, but Persocom, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeez tobiast you've proven that Christians follow whatever parts of the bible are convenient for them. Duh, that's not really news. Even if perso understood the question he still wouldn't be able to show why certain parts of the bible should still be enforced and while other parts shouldn't.

Quote by Persocom01Btw Mr.tobiast88, I might sound "holier than thou", because, I honestly think that Mr.alexjohnc3 and Mr.Plunkies whom I debate with are foolish bigots...

Hehehe, jeez man you sure are a sore loser. I may hate religion but I'm certianly not intolerant towards religious people. I mean I live in Georgia ffs, I'd have to hate the majority of my family. And you're the last person that should call anybody "foolish" when you think The Flintstones is a documentary.

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

Beware, alexjohnc3! Beware, for we are indulging in, gasp, sarcasm! The hated and vile form of language! We are to burn in snickering hell for an eternity, then we go to unbeliever's hell as atheists for another eternity. And I go to gay hell for another eternity for being bi. Lotsa eternities, eh?

And Plunkies, I may have proven that christians follow whatever part of the bible they find convenient to anyone who is not religious, but I wish I could make them see this. And then I wish for a million dollars right now, and I know they have about the same chances. But whatever. I have nothing to do here in Paris, so I argue with the fundies.

Join the groups!

millyfinalfantasy2

millyfinalfantasy2

the bringer of despair returns

aaaarrrgh!

why oh why do people really beleive there is an omnipotent being watching over us?

I spent some time a few years ago reading the bible and found it was the biggest book of sh*t in the world, it's a bunch of stories told from 2-3 points of view that all contradict each other, the reason we suffer so much in this world is because it is human nature.

we evolved from nothing and we will one day return to nothing. The point of life is to live and nothing more, tell me one other creature that will kill whatever it wants to for no reason other than enjoyment and yet will go out of it's way to save another, again, for no apparent reason.

Divine justice and intervention......bollocks.
Answer me this, if god created man as the first being, what happened to dinosaurs, homo-erectus, neanderthals and so on?
We got here through a little thing called EVOLUTION brought about by the big bang.

And if your still in doubt, think about this, children as young as 18months old are raped by their own mothers and fathers for years, why would the benevolent christ allow this torture of the truly innocent to continue?

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Quote by tobiast88Beware, alexjohnc3! Beware, for we are indulging in, gasp, sarcasm! The hated and vile form of language! We are to burn in snickering hell for an eternity, then we go to unbeliever's hell as atheists for another eternity. And I go to gay hell for another eternity for being bi. Lotsa eternities, eh?

If that's what we get, I wonder what Pat Robertson gets then? ;)

Why does God let us suffer? Well suffering is a part of learning right? Think of it as if you were a father. If your son/daughter wanted to go bike, would you stop him/her? No, right? But as a father you would clearly take as many precautions to make sure your he/she didn't hurt themselves too much. But would you follow behind and physically stop them from falling? I sure hope not. If you did then your kid would never learn from the pain. Pain is a part of life, and therefore if all pain was absent then we would never learn anything.

Parents/guardians will warn their kids/wards not to touch the hot stove, or play with knives. But how will the kids learn not to. They satisfy their curiosity by doing exactly what you tell them to not do. As a result they hurt themselves (hopefully minorly) and learn not to do it again.

So therefore with God, if you will think of him as your guardian, he will tell you what not to do. But as it goes with human nature, we will do exactly what we are told not to and therefore we suffer. But within the suffering, we learn.

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by tobiast88However, your second "answer" is nothing short of preposterous. I said before that you are not answering questions, and here is a prime example. I ask why homosexuality is an abomination; you answer "Homosexuality is an abomination to God. So it is forbidden." May I ask why? (for the nth time) Why is homosexuality forbidden? And don't you dare post that bible verse again. Justify it rationally.

The Bible is the standard for Christian morality, however, since you don't accept that explanation I'll try to find another one. Let's see the some reasons for being gay:

10) The good gossip. ("Who from high school just came out? I KNEW he was gay!")
9) Since most of your relatives either a) don't know you're gay or b) are homophobic, you don't have to humor your mother by inviting 50 long-lost relatives to your commitment ceremony.
8) You have no reason to suffer through "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus."
7) Watching the panicked look on tourists' faces when they step out of their hotels and suddenly realize they're in the middle of the NYC or San Francisco Gay Pride Parade.
6) "Gaydar". It's true: give us a crowd, and we can pick out who is and who isn't.
5) Since you're not officially "married" to your partner, you don't have to put up with your in-laws like they're your... in-laws.
4) If you have a significant other, the doubling of your wardrobe. Think instant cash savings.
3) Your opposite sex friends trust you inherently with their relationships and sex life. It's usually more than you want to know, but it makes for good entertainment.
2) Birth control and emergency pregnancy tests. Never an issue.
1) You really do get a free toaster when you join!

After searching for 30min on the world wide web, I couldn't find any good reason for being gay that did not involve:

1. Abuse of free will.
2. Lust.
3. A good reason to go against God's intended design. (written in the book of genesis)

Since the Christian God is one of absolute holiness, is it any surprise if he views homosexuality as a sin?

Does that answer your question?

tobiast88

tobiast88

No patience for fools.

No, it does not. So, basically, your reason for being against homosexuality is written in a book written centuries ago by people with a fraction of the knowledge we have today? The reasons you give are mocking and sarcastic (something you said you never do, but since everything you say is lies anyway, I guess you're not changing a thing.) Do you actually think that people one day just go "let's piss god off - let's be gay!". Gays are born that way, and if you think it's something to be "cured", I really think you're going to fall into the deepest pit of hell for extreme intolerance when you die. "Love thy neighbour", huh? Well, only if the neighbour fits certain prerequisites. You disgust me. I'm not even going to argue with the slimy trash you brought up, it's that stupid.

By all means, move on, you intolerant, selfish, condescending bigot.

Join the groups!

page 6 of 8 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 185 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.