Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How's Life In College? - Minitokyo

How's Life In College?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 48 total items

gel-chan

gel-chan

Pastaaaa <3

Hello mina!

I'm just wonderin' How's Life in College? Cuz in about a year I'll be a freshman, I'm gonna take entrance exams this august. Is it really hard? Based on what I've heard they It's like a living hell... You always have to study... Professors are crazy and 5 hours of sleep is already considered as "Luxury". Wa? Whoo... I'm not gonna go there! Or at least guide me! T_T Please I'm asking the current college students or the graduates... Help! x_x *dies*

Gel~

Edit!

I'm nearing college. Hmpf.... Actually I'll start in 2 weeks.

Edit! Again...

Well, it ain't that bad. Its really hectic though. I'm almost in my 2nd semester. I do have a lot of friends. I'm more myself actually, than I did in high school, kinda broke my silence. :D Its really invigorating. But I'm pressured at the same time. I can only describe it in one word: CRAZY

Signature
"My last sig quote was rather plain so I changed it to something cool like this."
Wings-Lovers Administrator, Doujinshi-Support-Club Contestant & The-Ultimate-Coordinator Moderator

x-gear

x-gear

Running away...

Well you lose all your friends because they are going seperate paths. If your bonds are strong with your friends then you'll see them from time to time. As for the college work is a pain. When you think you have free time, you better use that time to study. I guess thats it.

What is it?

chisaikame

chisaikame

happy camper o^^o

get a course, that you think you will really enjoy/excel at.. for example, Fine arts if you like drawing.. :) that way, it won't burn you out.. :D

ego vici mundum

i just finished my freshman year in college and i say its really not bad as living hell... it depends on wat major you are planning on going into as well. But overall, if you balance your class schedule by integrating some easy classes like fine arts or really easy gen ed classes with some of your harder major courses, everything should work out. College life is a lot more laxed than high school. A lot of things you have to plan for yourself. I say the one thing you have to watch out for, is your study time. Becasue for a lot of my classes, there is no homework and just readings. Its really easy just not to read, but then when test time comes...im in trouble. So its really important to organize you time.

I hated college so much i decided to go to university I go to Simon Fraser University http://www.sfu.ca

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

It's all about the professors really. College isn't hard it's the professors that are the hard part. They pretty much can make your life a hell or they can make it a breeze. I got the latter so I got off easy. Freshemen year wasn't so bad. Sure it's a new experience especially if you decide to dorm. Yes you may get seperated from your friends you may even lose some depending on where they go and where you go. But there is still the internet so you will be able to chat.

Despite what alot of people think everything isn't always about school work. Unless your a bio or chem major then your pretty much screwed. You also have to keep in mind what kind of schedule you create for yourself. You pick your classes so my suggestion take them early you can nap later so get your butt out of bed early so you can enjoy a free afternoon. Just don't pick classes that are far too early like at 7 am. X_X

Studying time well that depends on your classes. Some require more then others, but trust me you probably won't be spending all your free time studying for every class. Cram sessions or all nighters rarely happen unless you put everything off to the last minute which I must stress is really dumb of anybody to do. If you know work is going to be due in a week or two. Give yourself 3 or 4 days to prep and relax do a little planning. Once the 5th day comes just dive right in. You'll be done before you know it.

That's about all I can think of right now so good luck and try not to stress so much it's not as bad as you've heard.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

Well, isn't hard... unless you make it hard :)

In other words, don't be overconfident, first year can be a little tohugh, specially if you have many courses and some are in the morning and some late in the evening... it's hard :(

But you'll make a lot of new friends, that's great :)

Good luck!

Signature

rorenzu

rorenzu

Mio Amakura

for me, it depends upon your chosen course^^
as for me, my course is a total time consuming
so we don't really get enough sleep (IF WE HAVE PROJECTS), i'm going on 2nd year..this school year...
about friends, i prefer my friends from my first year highschool,
i don't actually consider any good friend/s in my college school, and worst of all, GUYS ARE SUCH A PAIN^^
study? um, not really, actually, professors don't care whether you study or not, they don't care whether you fail, so, its about you...
(but sometimes, especially, when you really want to pass) you are force to study on your own^^
and, you better choose you school and course^^ so you won't have regrets^^
hmm, maybe your first week or first month, it might seem hard but you'll get used to it...
don't need to be scared with college life wherein fact, you'll be learning the world there(^^,)
good luck to you!
>>my comments were based in my experience and mostly applicable with universities (IN THE PHILIPPINES)<<
so i don't know if that would be of any help(^^,)

Together...forever...
Signature
sig and avatar by Kuya JaK

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Hrm... well it depends on the college and the courses that you take on how difficult life for you as a college student will be. For me, it hasn't been too stressful. As for staying up late... the only times I stay up late are 1. if I forgot to do something (which can be remedied by being organized) or 2. procrastinating on a project (which can also be remedied). As for friends, if you live in the dorms you'll meet plenty of people. I commuted to my college so I didn't make AS many friends as I probably would have if I had lived in the dorms. But I made a personal goal to make one friend in each of my classes, which worked for me.

My advice: Go see an advisor at least once a year to make sure that you're on track for your major and such... and if you need help go see the professor! There's a reason why they have office hours! However, if you have one of those hundreds of people lectures, then research if there are any tutoring programs on-campus. My little brother is finishing his first year at college, and if it weren't for the on-campus tutoring he probably would have failed most of his courses.

Good luck on the entrance exams! ^^

Signature Image

Bumble-Bee

Bumble-Bee

I'm cute, aren't I?

I'm a freshman (going into 2nd year 2 next month). And so far is so good for me! Indeed, the tasks and projects really take your time. However, it won't go as far as taking away your sleeping time. Unless I have a test (I can sleep at 3 a.m.) I sleep at 11. You'll "only" lost time to play game and (download and) watch anime (and those are what really killing me. I'm a devout gamer, you know?)

Professors are sometimes crazy and killing, but in other times they can be kind too. In my term, most of them are humorists.
And how hard your study depends on some factors, e.g. what major you take. We, the (future) chemical engineers have more tests and tasks than other majors.

And more, you'll get a lot of friends. In my past study, I recall only had about 30-35 persons in a class. And now? About 110!

Advice? Well, get friends as much as possible (and try to remember them all!), make friends with the professors, manage your time well, study hard, and last but not least: Pray!

Good luck with your exam! I'm sure you'll make it!

BTW, what major are you going to take?

SUCKS BALLS.......for me........I wake up 5 am in the morning to leave to school =D. I am going to The Art Institute and taking a game design course.........and pulling all nighters for art sucks....and yeah the financial crap....This has been my third quarter so yeah...i hate the schoool lol XD

In france school sux :P i want to be a japan man :'( or a manga-ka :D

@ gel-chan

if you wanna enjoy college, i suggest that you take a course you're truly interested in... its true that you lose many of your friends in high school due to your new hectic sched but that doesn't mean you can't make new friends in college :D be wary of professors who aren't afraid of giving failing marks by asking the higher batches (if you know any) who to look out for. i admit i've enjoyed college life so far; got lots of friends and i have a tad bit more freedom now than when i was in high school. you just have to learn to balance your social life and school life properly so that you don't get too stressed out. good luck in your endeavors :D

well... i guess it depends on what major you are and what kind of school you go to. If the your school's specialty is what you major in.. prepare for total annhilation. If not then you will have fun. =)

It really depends which courses you take. some of my friends that are getting communication degrees don't have to study too much. yet me with my physics major I have to completely ignore everything else but the study (and anime every once in a while to keep sanity)

gel-chan

gel-chan

Pastaaaa <3

Quote by rorenzufor me, it depends upon your chosen course^^
as for me, my course is a total time consuming
so we don't really get enough sleep (IF WE HAVE PROJECTS), i'm going on 2nd year..this school year...
about friends, i prefer my friends from my first year highschool,
i don't actually consider any good friend/s in my college school, and worst of all, GUYS ARE SUCH A PAIN^^
study? um, not really, actually, professors don't care whether you study or not, they don't care whether you fail, so, its about you...
(but sometimes, especially, when you really want to pass) you are force to study on your own^^
and, you better choose you school and course^^ so you won't have regrets^^
hmm, maybe your first week or first month, it might seem hard but you'll get used to it...
don't need to be scared with college life wherein fact, you'll be learning the world there(^^,)
good luck to you!
>>my comments were based in my experience and mostly applicable with universities (IN THE PHILIPPINES)<<
so i don't know if that would be of any help(^^,)

Hey I am in the Philippines, you're helping. Hehehe. My course? I think I'll be taking HRM (Hotel and restaurant management) or IT (Information Technology) I like Fine Arts but everybody says that course makes you go nowhere. I can't choose my particular course now. So I am really screwed up. ^_^'

merged: 05-30-2006 ~ 08:22am
By the way, my cousin is a college professor. He says other professors give scores to students by means of "chance" as in they depend on a dartboard for pete's sake! They throw their dart and where ever it lands on, its your score. Ex: 70, thats it. I think thats harsh. :nya:

Signature
"My last sig quote was rather plain so I changed it to something cool like this."
Wings-Lovers Administrator, Doujinshi-Support-Club Contestant & The-Ultimate-Coordinator Moderator

chisaikame

chisaikame

happy camper o^^o

why not try Advertising.. that's Fine arts with direction.. ;) ...or Digital Arts or something that's being offered in LaSalle/Benilde, i think.... my life is hell with IT, though.. T_T ..but surviving.. >.< ... hey rorenzu.. i totally agree with you that guys are a pain..

merged: 05-31-2006 ~ 02:15pm
if you like doing projects/prototypes.. designing.. challenging work... industrial design in UST.. :)

ego vici mundum

its better than high school,lht d2 maggwa mo ehh,not like in HS puro restriction so pra k lng nka kulong so..college life is fun

Its not as bad as all that. Yes, there's work and that work is sometomes long and hard, but its not like that all the time. Its far better than high school, much more independant and enjoyable.

College is useless if you dont find your Cliche....for me I just wasted 3 quarters. So yeah I'm dropping outta my college to go to a community college. I'm switching Cage fighting instead of Game Design lol. I just lost interest in art when I attended college.

wraith11

wraith11

The Alfa Bloke

Well, if US college is the same as Australian Uni... it'll run something like this:
You'll spend the first semester quite passed out and having a lot of fun... untill the last month or so when you realise that there's a whole load of assessment that's due in VERY soon and you haven't started any of it. This is where the 5 hours sleep = luxury comes in. It's also where you'll cultivate a healthy caffine addiction.

That's where I'm up too now... the caffine addiction. Got a new hobby... sleeping and have to get all my assignments in by friday and monday respectively.

Next semester I intend to be slightly less passed out and actually get some work done through the semester itself, rather than panicing at the end. So yeah, if you keep up with the work you shouldn't have a problem.

In all reality, it can be a lot of fun.

Wraith 11

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV - Heaven on a transaxel
http://wraith11.deviantart.com/

Shadu

Shadu

Lost Myself

Phew! I just finished my freshman year of college. In all honesty, college.. . . MUCH better than high school. But like some people have said, there are some not so great things. Unless you're aspiring to get into a very expensive/advanced college, don't stress out too much over your entrance exams. Most colleges are pretty lenient.

As for the professors. . .hmm. . some _are_ crazy. :D But don't stress. Sometimes you'll find some really cool teachers in college. Depending on whether you go to a college based on quarters (3 or 4 if you go in the summer) or semesters (2. . .3 I guess if you go in the summer), you'll be spending a lot less or about the same amount of time with a teacher as you would in high school. Some of these teachers, based on your major, you will see MANY times over. Definitely learn to be noticed as a student. No, I'm not saying kiss up and be the annoying kid who knows ALL the answers. :P Just be able to approach a professor when you have a question. Even if you don't completely like them or they're teaching style, always summon the guts to ask for help. If they pretty much suck in general and don't offer any, then always seek help from classmates or tutors. ^_^ In the end, you have to remember that you wont have them the whole time, so if you don't like them, just suck it up and suffer through it, you only have to do this once. . . if you don't fail. >_<

Sleep. . . ahh. . . It really depends. When You set up your first quarter/semester of classes, be careful. If you have a hard time getting up in the morning DO NOT schedule an early class. If that's the only one available, so be it, but if not, don't. Yet, if you're a person who wishes to work on campus (like a Federal Work Study job) you might want to consider thinking about taking early classes so you'll have enough time to work at night AND do any studying you might need. . . and . . . oh yea. . . SLEEP! It's true that 5 hours of sleep can be a luxury sometimes, but its only that bad when you waited too late to study for a test (aka PROCRASTINATION and some late night cramming ^_^), but its only really bad around finals and midterms. Then everyone is practically dead, but mostly from frying your brain from studying too much (again from doing it too late). So in general, your amount of sleep depends on how well you balance your time.

So in the end, I think college is well worth it. Don't stress out so much about it. It seems really intimidating at first (I wanted to go home the first few days), but it becomes an experience unlike any other. Those who are priviledged to go are in for a world of eyeopeners, but as long as you study enough (cramming works too! ^_^), don't slack off too much, and learn to relax without getting into trouble, you'll have fun.

Hope this helps and I wish you good luck on your entrance exams.

Ciao. ^_~

You need only believe. . .

i think college's life is so boring n suck. high school's life is better. in college the people is so individualistist and theres so hard to find a best friend(thank god i have best friends from high school until now )

Quote by gel-chanHello mina!

I'm just wonderin' How's Life in College? Cuz in about a year I'll be a freshman, I'm gonna take entrance exams this august. Is it really hard? Based on what I've heard they It's like a living hell... You always have to study... Professors are crazy and 5 hours of sleep is already considered as "Luxury". Wa? Whoo... I'm not gonna go there! Or at least guide me! T_T Please I'm asking the current college students or the graduates... Help! x_x *dies*

Gel~

College is what you put into it. So far, I'm having a crazy fun time! No kidding. It's not hard... it's really what profs decide to be asses. Or what major you decide to kill yourself with, like electrical engineering. I would say college is on the contrary, a living paradise. People your age, drinking, parties... don't think about the work too much! Especially on the weekends. True... 5 hours is the norm for me, but definitely 8 hours is a luxury! Profs can be crazy... mostly physics and math, but don't worry, there're always cool profs!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 48 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.