Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Have questions about depression etc? - Minitokyo

Have questions about depression etc?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

hey guys, i just wanted to throw this out there, i know alot about depression and stuff related, please ask me anything. im happy to help, and i know what alot of its like, i have depression too. you can either post it here or PM me, whichever you would rather do.

possible subjects
cutting
pulling hair
depression in general
anti-depressants
psychiatrists
anorexia
bulemia

yeah this is all reli depressing, but its called depression for a reason. hope i can help!

url=http://groups.minitokyo.net/intothesky/]||IntoTheSky:AG||[/url]
DNangel-DarkWings

ladyai

ladyai

~*serinity from within*~

I never knew cutting was a part of depression. I used to cut myself but I stopped when my parents caught me. I guess we have more in common than where we live since we've both been through depression.

Ja ne -_-

Signature
sigi and ava made by dianas for ladyai ;)

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

ya, cutting has to do with stress, or else with emotional pain. in the first example, the person cannot find a way to release stress, so they cut. this is almost a physical manifestation of sorts, like actually creating a spot for the steress to literally flow out of the body. either that, or they cannot control the stress, and feel the only thing they can control is their body and physical pain, so they cut. anorexia occurs for this second reason as well, feeling like eating is the only thing they can control. in the second example, the person cannot deal with the emotional pain, so the physical pain of cutting shifts their focus and relaxes them.

DNangel-DarkWings

Finalzero0000

Ninja Commander

Why is it that depression changes eating and sleeping habits? I mean, is there any motivation behind changing habits? I have my own guesses but I'd like to hear another opinion.

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

well, depression is psychological, so it changes the way your brain functions. and when that occurs, anything that is carried out by your brain (that is, EVERYTHING) has the possibility of changing somewhat. sleeping also, is changed by stress, as the brain often is racing with thoughts and worrying about things constantly when under extreme stress. the opposite effect can ALSO occur, sleeping too much, as the brain potentially attempts to escape from its sufffering by simply shutting off and the person going to sleep

DNangel-DarkWings

Finalzero0000

Ninja Commander

Is there any reason for the change in eating habits?

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

well, you know how when ur stressed you want to eat stuff like chocolate and chips and fatty or oily foods? its a bit like that. i think the body is trying to make itsself feel better by eating certain foods, or else the body just doesnt feel hungry due to being sad, etc. also, if its anorexia, then its about contol. alot of times someone who is anorexic feels that their eating and weight is the only thing they can control in their life at the moment, so they control it down to the most minute detail. with bulemia, it is much the same, like "i can eat it and actually eat, but not gain the weight that usually goes along with it."

DNangel-DarkWings

My problem is quite similar to red butterfly kyoko's problem about tagging along behind her friends and not showing emotions, well they have actually ditched me because of it .Now I am considering hypno-therapy to cure my shyness and inabliity to make conversation well, because now everyone in my class thinks I'm a freak. IAnd I'm not making this up either because I heard people talking about me and how I am a loner. Do you think that hypno-therapy would be a good idea?

' I like the wind, when I stand against the wind,It sweeps over me and makes me wanna fly...\'

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

ive never tried it, but ive heard that it does wonders. if ur willing to fork over the dough, then go ahead. i personally also reccomend chinese medicine, the chinese are da shiznit XD. things like acupunture, its been around for thousands of years and people still use it today, my chemistry teacher went to see an acupuncturist recently and they did crazy stuff, but it made her leg stop hurting, which had been for like, a month XD

DNangel-DarkWings

hmm... im just saying... is it so true that americans really use therapists too much, although I wouldnt rush out personally to one. But I d agree on some chinese medicine for improvement rather than cure, like a promoting for the long term. But do be careful of false practitioners, there are all sorts of peeps in the world. But anyway back to the important thing. I have been through some stress which makes me irate or depressed to some extent, but not extreme. Im always showing happiness around peeps, so they wouldnt worry. After that, I'd be all exhausted at work again... About your friends starhellokittyangel... You doing the opposite to me, I try too hard showing emotions or trying to take part in some way. Like I noticed My comments are very random, sometimes Im like a mixed trivia... It helps that my class in university only has 20 people. We're all great friends now. Try to show a smile! Only when something is really fun or cool or funny or nice though. I like to practice in the mirror sometimes, to make sure i dont look weird... kinda vain, but its almost like a confidence boost. I must admit, much of my confidence comes from family pride and martial arts, which by the way are never used willingly or freely unless in a life or death situation. peace starhellokittyangel (cute name by the way, heh).

Oh, and now that the semester is over and exams are finished... Im really in a goooood mood. but kinda tired.... goodnight then.

I feel very depressed most of the time, I've made some failed attempts on my life(obviously-I'm here to type this)through cutting at my wrists. I didn't do it to kill stress, I tried to do it to kill myself, the wrist is under tension, so if cut the right way, it splits open, but I stopped myself.

I find that when it comes to dealing with stress and depression, I rip my toenails right out, it's a kind of pain that stings and hurts but it does feel good in a weird way.

Spending money is another thing I do, I buy tons of DVDs and watch them in oder to distract myself. I have to find a real solution to all of this.

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

o my. hon, please consider seeing a shrink or some other sort of doctor. that is very intense depressoin, and that sort of self-mutilation (nasty word for it, i know) is extremely serious. all i can say for that is that i send my support, and hope you feel better with time <3

DNangel-DarkWings

A-10hybrid

A-10hybrid

My cookies!

Yeah, I'm depressed and instead of sadness, I'm angry, like when I'm depressed. I watch comedy to suppress it, but I can't really control it. It started when random people said they hated me. I thought about my actions but I didn't do anything bad, I felt hated so I'm prone to hating people if they look at me the wrong way. I'm confused and I need help. If you gots a solution, plz do tell.

Yeah.... Credits to Elena (Toya999) for the sig, err the avatar.

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

well, i suggest confronting ur anger head on. take martial arts classes to release emotional tension, draw, play an insturment, beat up a tree (a big tree, little ones get hurt easily ^^;) or something. even going to an anger management course would hlep. think about y you would deserve their hate, and y they deserve urs. returning hate with hate isnt a solution. the best thing you can do is forgive them. and remember, the opposite of love is not hate, its indifference. hating someone means adgknowledging their presence, saying they dont exist in your eyes is truly heartless... think how bad you would feel if no one cared about you, then think about those that do care about you. you deserve their love, as you came from love, and those that hate you arent worth your time thinking about.

DNangel-DarkWings

Haohmaru77

Haohmaru77

Stray Wanderer

Hi there, just wondering if you could tell me HOW DO I GET SUICIDE OFF MY HEAD?! im sick of thinking about it, yet i cant stop! My life is pretty good, i have many things i wanted, then WHY CANT I STOP! worst part is, i fear sooner or later, with the slightest depression, i might end up doing it... uhh please beautifuldreamer, help me!

Signature Image
Dude, I'm doing something for you. Return the favor!
Donate money to the poor!! Or at least heed their voices!
Thanx to K1ru for the super signature!

wat r the major side affects cus my mom has it...and i think i mite...but wen i went to a phycoligist for trying to kill myself....they didnt list that as a possiblity

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

if you cant find any reason as to y u mite be depressed, then thats a sure sign of actual depression. i would recommend seeing a doctor, even getting a prescription for medication, such as zoloft etc (it sounds like a big deal but i promise it isnt and it helps a TON). a shrink or cousenlor (when i say shrink i mean psychiatrist) also helps with pinpointing the main problem, and if you try one and dont like them, stop and go to another, all shrinks are different and each one is better for some than others. just cuz u have one bad shrink doesnt mean that all are bad. taking medicine for depressionsounds like a big deal, but if it helps, then it is a big deal but in a good way. like, not "OMG im taking medicine, im a failure" but "omg this medicine helps so much!" however, a word of caution: some medicines, such as zoloft (wat i take), when the patient first takes it, it gives u energy and motivation (lack of both is a sign of depression), THEN makes u happier. for those that are suicidal, who never had the willpower or energy to go thru with it, it gives them that last push to actually kill themselves. this lead to some publications saying that anti-depressants are counter-productive and just make things worse, this is not true. it simply gets u up and going before it makes u happy. so be careful.

major side effects of depression can include: tired all the time, cant sleep, mood swings, not wanting to eat, wanting to eat too much fatty or salty foods, wanting to eat too much in general, feeling sad for no reason, being introverted (shy, untalkative) when usually outgoing, mean and bitter when usually happy and pleasant, basically any change in personality, diet, or habit. if you think back a while and see a major change between then and now and nothing to account for it (death of loved one, etc), then thats depression. of course, just because something is there to blame, doesnt mean it isnt depression... oftentimes depression is triggered by a major event, such as a divorce, death, loss, etc.

watever shrink said that depression wasnt a possible reason for wanting to kill urself... they fail at life. that should have been the first thing they thought of. if you think you might have depression, then go talk to a shrink or some other doctor. talking here on MT is all well and good, but i cant give SERIOUS help. the best thing i can do is send you to a competent doctor, who has the degree and the ability to prescribe medication etc. im just a silly 16 year old girl who has gone through alot, and hence i have alot of knowledge about the subject, so im here to simply share and give advice. and one more thing about shrinks. ive been seeing this shrink since like, 7th grade (im in 10th/11th now) and it took me a while (like a year) to open up to her, since im kinda shy in person around people i dont know in one on one situations. she had to gain my trust as a confidant etc. so if you feel shy around the shrink, wait a few sessions (and go WITHOUT ur parents. trust me.) and then u should start to open up a little. discuss terms, like, "ur not gonna tell my mom any of this, RITE?" if it makes u more comfortable. and let the shrink do his/her job. you can talk, and theyll listen, you can ask for advice, and they will give it. just go, because whatever happens, it should help. however, if ur COMPLETELY against going to a shrink, then no one can make u. thats reli all there is to it.

DNangel-DarkWings

A-10hybrid

A-10hybrid

My cookies!

I read your advice. First off thanks, but I don't believe that indifference is the opposite of love. Things like that don't exist here. You either love or hate. It's from my experiences. I have felt being not cared for. You can feel if your being loved but I don't feel it, even around my family. They have never told me anything like that. Your not me, so were not the same, I mean it's hard to not be concious of what others think of me. A long time ago, I forgave all that have hated me: some people I know, schoolmates, and such. I've been make fun off, teased, and looked down upon in most o my school life. You have no idea what I felt cuz I believe an experience like mine is not what I should have went through. I should have had friends, never should've been lonely all the time. Again thanks for your advice, but taking martial arts? With the kind of feeling I got, not really a good thing.

Yeah.... Credits to Elena (Toya999) for the sig, err the avatar.

Haohmaru77

Haohmaru77

Stray Wanderer

n_n thanks for the advice! im actually not depressed most of the time, just a suicidal... but i think that i can get through it... Thanx a lot!

Signature Image
Dude, I'm doing something for you. Return the favor!
Donate money to the poor!! Or at least heed their voices!
Thanx to K1ru for the super signature!

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

alrite hybrid, if thats wat u believe, then fine. im not trying to force my beliefs on anyone here, im just offering my knowledge and opinions as help to others who might need it. your completely entitled to your own beliefs and i respect that. i agree, no one should go through cruel or hurtful things like that, and yes, i cant ever know what it was like for you, because im not you. thats an extremely valid point, im just offering advice based on my own experiences, hoping others may benefit. :)

DNangel-DarkWings

Inuyasha-FAN

Inuyasha-FAN

I'm back

Tell me more about Cutting and It in Genaral please.

beautifuldreamer1289

beautifuldreamer1289

Cosplay Goddess

alrite. cutting. basically, cutting can be a number of things.

first off, it can be a sign of emotional or physical stress. the person feels like they cannot deal with the stres, so they cut as a release. its weird, but its true (ive cut once before, but was so terrified by myself that i never have again). in some cases, the cutting is like a physical form of releasing stress and tension, as if the person is creating a hole in their body for the stress to flow out of. did anyone here ever watch degrassi? on nogin? if so, then remember the episode where ellie started cutting? well, it would show her cutting, but she would be away from the camera (you couldnt see anything, u just knew she was cutting) and u saw her shoulders sort of hunch up, like she was reli tight, then they just dropped, and she was relaxed, and almost fell over from the release of tension. this is not conscious, remember tho, its all very much subconscious, the person cutting just acts without thinking most of the time.
anyway, another reason due to stress is control. the person feels like they cant control anything except their body, so they cut to control the pain they feel and the way they look (scarring perhaps)

the second reason for cutting may be emotional pain. the extreme amount of pain that the person feels makes them feel a need to distract themselves, and they cut in order to use the physical pain to dull the emotional pain.

often times, a trigger will start the whole cutting thing. something major (my dad RELI losing his head did it for me) will be especially upsetting, and the person might see a sharp object like a knife or pair of scissors, grab it, and cut themselves without thinking.

DNangel-DarkWings

Inuyasha-FAN

Inuyasha-FAN

I'm back

Thanks for telling me more. Thanks again. Very Detailed.

mikan-sakura

mikan-sakura

www.myspace.com/celestial_cherry

I'm sometimes depressed too...
when i'm depressed it feels like i've nobody to talk with,
there's no one that can cheer me up or understands me, because my problems are a little complicated (its about my parents )
even my best friends can't cheer me up at times like that.. *sigh* T.T
but i've never thought about suicide or something like that o.O
I Really hope i'll be happy one day..

~ Tomorrow is another day ~

Signature Image
Join Feathers of Eternity now! ^^

Need me? 8D then visit my LJ and leave a MESEEJI =3 (message) linku; http://mikan-sakura.livejournal.com/

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.