Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 They just don't understand... - Minitokyo

They just don't understand...

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Greetings all I'm sure that one more than one occasion this has happened to you. I am a gamer as well as on Otaku (more Otaku now then a gamer because my PS2 decided to die on me) so when I'm looking for the habit I love along with the drug that I need I get double the weird looks from people. On top of which I am also female so anywho...

I'm sitting at home playing a video game (it's usually a RPG) and I'm right in the middle of it and suddenly it is time to go somewhere. My mom would pop in and say, "okay let's go-turn it off." and I would be all like, "okay just got to find a save point give me a second." Now this usually happens when I'm in the middle of a game I have never played and in a part of the game I'm not familiar with so I'm rushed to find a save point. Well after a second a literal second is up she reappears demanding why I haven't turned it off yet. Now my mom has seen me play these games millions of times, she's seen me play this one and she knows that seeing as that my HP is in the red that I am hurrying almost dying to locate a save point and yet it just doesn't sink in.

Now normally I'm careful when I'm in an area...strategizing on how to defeat enemies and bosses because hell this game is an RPG and just hitting one button and doing one thing won't do it. Now it would be easier to save if I am on the map of the world-you can save anywhere and these people know this. Now I'm almost getting my ass handed to me by nothing monsters just to get to a save point where I have no idea where it is and she's getting mad. People-non-gamers-just don't understand that when it comes to games like RPGs you need time to do stuff. They also don't see that the more they nag and scream the longer it takes because you have to reaffirm and argue...has anyone else had to deal with this?

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

davew30

davew30

I ate mythology and slept

Without a doubt there are many RPG gamers the same as you. Always used to happen when I was playing FF7 a few years back now. Halfway through cosmo canyon and "dinner", so I rush to find a same point or return to the beginning, and end up half dead trying to find it. Sometimes when I can't find it, I just give up and switch it off....T_T prevents my parents from having a go at me. But what my friends used to do was just to leave it running for hours, but unfortunately doing that would severely shorten the lifespan of any console.

Stop deaths on the road, drive on the pavement!!!

rituel

rituel

kLepToMAniaX Designs

Well my PS2 died on me ages ago (more accurately, I killed it XD) so i no longer have to face this problem... But I go to a friend's house practically everyday, and his mom pops in every now and then to call him for dinner and such, and he gets scolded much like your description (though perhaps not exactly the same) as well..
I used to have to deal with that on Sundays before going to the Church.. which I no longer go to.. XD
But I've learned to either wake up later, so i have no time to play (i usually make prior plans to go somewhere); or choose a game i've finished before..

rorenzu

rorenzu

Mio Amakura

well, same sit.
but my mom understands me, (when she's on the mood)
or sometimes, i'll turn off the tv so she won't see me playin' hahah!^^
or sometimes, i just keep on sayin' "wait, I'm lookin' for a saving spot, <over and over again>" then, she'll get tired of scolding me^^ hehehh

Together...forever...
Signature
sig and avatar by Kuya JaK

blackdagger

blackdagger

Too much to handle

Ahahaha..too bad i don't have problems like that!

I use a pS emulator that's why....

But really...I DO understand what you feel......

>-I do WHat i waNt<-
GoT anY Problems

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

just make it known to not be disturbed like that due to the same reasoning clearly ascertained to your guardian

-repeat-

My parents to that to me all the time :( Its always right when I start a game in somthing, like right when I click start or start a new map, they come in and say ok lets go do something or go.
It gets so annoying, so I know how you feel :)

Inuyasha-FAN

Inuyasha-FAN

I'm back

O yeah... :( When I'm playing my Video Games on my Computer its allways like that...

This is the world we live in. no one has patience anymore.

ko1

Maybe consoles need a "parental call" button. Parents call, you press the button, game state gets dumped from system memory to storage memory, console shuts off/goes into standby. As mentioned above, most emulators already support this.

"I want it all and all at once" - Marquis de Sade

well I dont really have that kind of problen before since I only played ps games using emulator so a single press of F2 will do XD but its really annoying when parents tells me to stop in a middle of something or a fight... but now I gave up on those games and just played those online games for u dont need a save point at all and I dont play that much... but one thing is that u can't give up in a middle of a fight ^^

I don't have that problem very often. When my Mom urges me to quit while I'm in the middle of playing, I'll just say :"Give me exactly 10mins" and I set a timer on. If I excede that time limit, I will prevent myself from playing for the next 2 days.

Thats how I negotiate with her and she only needs to bug me once. The only problem is: If I really DO excede the time limit... I'm done for...lol xD

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Sounds familiar- playing FF I (yes, the very first one for NES), and right as I get into a fight with something with an obscene amount of HP that takes at least 5 minutes to kill: "Let's goooo!"

The problem: your priority is to not lose minutes/hours of playing time and progress, your mom's priority is to get to (restaurant, mall, store, wherever), y'all's priorities butt heads. My dad was always cool about it, he'd come in before we had to leave and be like "come to a pausing point" because he used to play Bard's Tale and such like that, he understood. My stepmother didn't understand and really could have cared less. (We'd wage war over the dumbest stuff.)

The key is you gotta ask her to notify you 10 minutes before you leave, if it's something she knows about in advance, or better yet, ask her yourself if y'all have to be somewhere that day (forewarned=forearmed). If she gives you a hard time over it, try likening it to leaving in the middle of a card game, chess game, bingo game... whatever she likes to do, you get the idea. And if none of that works, the most expedient solution is always get your own roof. (Me and my stepmom are quite friendly to each other now that we aren't involuntarily putting up with one another. Oh, and she's 2,000 miles away ;) )

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

Inversion988

Inversion988

....Revived?

that.....is one of the the most painful things a RPG gamer(or any type of gamer, for that matter) has 2 go through. and sometimes when your parents say that they're not going somewhere and then outta nowhere they say, "hey come on, were going somewhere-cut everything off"-that pisses everyone off. and why does it happen when it's mostly a RPG you're playing? u notice it's almost never when you're playing something that u don't have 2 think that much about. and this also happened 2 me mostly when i was playing FF7 as well.

so i've learned my lesson: when u see a save point, save. u never know what happens. like my parents, they like to go places when everyone else is all ready 2 go 2 sleep. and that's when almost every gamer is playing their games. curse the gaming industry for not making a controller that allows u 2 freeze time whenever they ask u that question.......that would change the lives of gamers everywhere.

Signature Image

That's why I play during certain hours... when I know nothing will be asked to me (after the meals (but not before) or early in the morning, or when my parents are out)... or during the hours my mother may ask me something I just level up (so in a place either we can save anywhere or a place I'm quite familiar). But I understand... whatever RPG I play I usually end up to wish to see the next save point. And I also usually make lot of saves. -_-

Signature

Used to have that problem, but now my parents know to notify me around 20-30 minutes in advance :)

Ah thanks everyone it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in the world.

Signature Image
When you say its name out loud you can take away its power and some times end its life...

Tasana

Tasana

~~....Longing for Serenity....~~

oh, definitely i do! whenever my dad tells me to get off (usually as soon as he sees me playing a game, any game)i say "hold on i gotta save!" and he;s rather imapatient so he's all like "get the hell off the video game now!" and i AM getting off, saving is a process of getting off isn't it? so he gets all pissed of course....they don't understand that we can't just turn off the system, we have to save our progress, or our hours of gaming would be worth nothing! i understand JenosydesWhisperMatrix, perfectly!

Signature

oh my..... i thought i'm the only 1 having this problems.......
and yes, jeno, my parents were like yours...... when they're goin out 4 dinner or whatsoever they juz decide on the spot..... and well..... if i don't shut the console up in time, they'll threaten me....... that kinda ruins my RPG-gamer life......... T_T
juz hate it.... -_-

I'm incomplete,
I'm a hybrid,
I'm the demi-god,
I'm ONIGAMI!

millyfinalfantasy2

millyfinalfantasy2

the bringer of despair returns

well I don't have that problem anymore anymore but in the most extreme cases ( if I haven't saved in the last half an hour or I've beaten something that has tal#ken me ages to kill, then I'll just leave it paused.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

xhidaka

xhidaka

alive in hell...

oh, i understand. sometimes it takes forever to get to a save. just last night i decided to do the battle arena part of ff7. let's just say i went to bed at 2pm instead of 8am like i usually do (yes, i'm nocturnal and work nights).

when i lived with my parents that kind of thing happened all the time. not so much in turn based rpgs, but when i was trying to beat resident evil in the super hard mode something would always come up... and when you're running around the mansion with nothing but your knife and you have to try and escape a room full of zombies with your mom yelling at you... yeah. not pretty. i broke a few different controllers that way.

"My fall will be for you, my love will be in you if you be the one to cut me... I'll bleed forever"-Nightwish

Kubrickfan

Chief Librarian

or could it be the other way around? Perhaps it is you who doesn't understand. But hey I do undersatand what you are talking about. Doom3, sh4, and Dawn of war. espically right in the middle of heavy fighting. Life kinda does that to you, or is it you to your self?

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

DJZephyr

DJZephyr

MiX iT uP!

Had this trouble. I HATE games without manual save.

The best examples are GTA games, which my parents already hate. I'd be in the middle of a 3-teir territory war, the nearest safehouse is halfway across town, and my parents would tell me it was bedtime. Freelancer was another, especially in the wide pirate-filled expanses of open space in the outer systems where you may have to travel half an hour (or more, depending on how many unfriendly ships you run across) to get to the next station or planet. There's other games I've had this problem with, too, namely Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Of course, now I live in my own apartment, so there's nobody rushing me to get to the next base/safe house/save point. But I still try to get to bed before 1am or I never wake up in the morning.

Follow your dreams. Honor your vows. MiX iT uP.
Signature

There is never a save point when you need one, or should I say when your parents need one. However you can use this to your advantage too, one time in Tales of Symphonia he came in and told me to hurry up and I told him I needed to save, but what he didn't know is that you could save anywhere on the map from the menu screen so I pretended that I couldn't find a save point so I could finish what I wanted to do before we went.

Luckily with my DS shutting the lid puts it in standby so I can just shut it and toss it somewhere when I hear my parents coming and pick up a book. That way they don't even have to know I was playing game at all.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.