Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 have you ever fight with your parents because of anime or manga? - Minitokyo

have you ever fight with your parents because of anime or manga?

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 114 total items

viekazama

viekazama

Lament of Innocence

Have you ever fight with your parents because of anime and manga? ^_^'
I have, since for our parents point of view, anime and manga is for kid and not gonna teach you to become a person

Of course of that time I'm arguing with them, because from my point of view, sometimes anime or manga is teaching too. Either about love, about friendship, loyalty, and anything (since the characters are from variuous different backgrounds).

And sometimes anime make us relax a bit (the comedy one) from our stress

And in Japan Anime is for everyone (and there's a different for every categories range of age).

So do you ever fight with your parents because of anime or manga?

drew64

Consumer of Felines

I wouldn't really call it fighting as much as defending the media I prefer. My father often remarks on how the characters don't look "japanese", and neither are the names. Of course, my response is often: "Yeah... Japan does realize there is a world beyond their shores. Take a history class."

Or something to that effect. Fun stuff.

More like arguing... They get mad at me for all the money I spend on manga... Probally 75% of my allowance :l

My parents get mad at me because they want others hobbies for me like dancing and other things they hate that i play videogames like ragnarok, i like to draw a lot in manga (check my draw of yuuko in xxx holic gallery) and my parents in a start hate that. but the time passed and they get used to it. Others people diferent from my parents have fear of me because they don´t understand my hobby for manga. But i have a lots of friends that understand me, everyone is different. I don´t know why other people can´t get it. And my best friend doesn´t like manga at all xD

I never had anything like that. My mom simply accepts that this is what I'm sort of into, and respects that. Altough she does constantly remind me, that I should spend my freetime doing other things as well, not just watching anime ("those cartoons of yours"). I've even made her watch some, and she even seems to enjoy it.

in a way, my mom tells me not to waste time on it, on the other hand she accepts my hobbies.

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

My mother doesn't complain or anything about my hobby with anime or manga, she just gets angry when I stay up too late doing that stuff.

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

My parents and I used to argue about it, but they have this "watch/read what you want" attitude now days, unless it's on Anime Network, which means I have to watch my programming on the only TV with digital cabel -- their TV. As long as I do my homework, keep my room clean, spend some time outside, and help with some things, then I can watch Anime, read manga, or look for more Anime online as much as I want.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

I sometimes have arguments w/ my parents about these things, most conflict usually come from my father. Im told i should watch good old American Cartoons, and my response is: "How can i watch something where the art is so bad it makes me sick?"
But no he doesnt seem to care much.
My mom never really cared either, except when i print pics off, cause ive printed off around 200+ full page pics which have taken up ever single space on my room walls, but she doesnt care, just says:"pay for ink with your own money". I showed her some episodes of Maburaho, and even tho she pretended not to like it, i know she did cause i was watching her reaction the whole time :)
Then there is my older brother...He keeps going:"Japanese and all eastern countries are inferior, stop wasting money on these stupid Japanese girlies"
My response is usually "F--- off" (even around my mom), i just hate it when people piss me off too much about my hobby, but my brot is a hypocrit b/c he likes eastern food...O well

animefanzzz

animefanzzz

jam chan

fighting ALL THE TIME they don't understand why i like no love anime/manga so... much

ladyvampire

ladyvampire

Ladyvampire

nope..i never fight with my parents cuz of anime or manga....they respect my artwork and dont mind me reading graphic novals.

Rikkablurhound

Rikkablurhound

*Kero~! O_o

Yeah... I do....
My MUM totaly hates me when I watch anime. My dad is fine with that, my mum doesnt really mind the manga (inside she does) My mum really hate sme when I watch anime...
shes got some sort of grunge against Japan... >_< in a way... >_< maybe because Im chinese. Then again, she also hates it when I draw anime, so, we argue alot.
She thinks anime is a waste of time & is all bour useless stuff like Ecchi.
I really don know the reason. But she just hate it when I watch anime. Its so obvious, when I watch chinese series or English movies till 11pm, she wouldnt care, but I cant even watch anime for heck, 1 minute XP

At first time,my parents don't accept to me reading manga/anime because they think it waste time and not good for my study in school but i analyse watching anime/manga have a good points,It teaches us live meaningful and must know about love everyone around,so they understand and agree that i read manga/anime, i also promise to guarantee my study fully

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

My father has come to accept it, in a strange way: he'll watch it with me if it's on, but he'll make off-kilter comments, or start making fun of the characters for using profanity, and I'll admonish him for swearing, then he'll say: "But the Fullmetal Alchemist does it." Jeez. I don't know whether to laugh or just leave it alone.
I've also gotten my mother into anime, as she now has a thing for Trigun(O.0), The Big O (she only saw the Christmas episode, with Dorthy and Roger being vaguely romantic, and based her opinion of the show off that single episode; strange, huh?), and, finally something that makes sense-for my mother, anyway-Kiki's Delivery Service. Innocent stuff suits her. Though she, like most of the (in)-famous fangirls, she finds Vash from Trigun attractive. -_-; (sorry, I'm a Wolfwood fan, myself...or WxV. ;)
Mostly, my parents worry about anime and manga having an adverse effect on my schoolwork, so I'm working on enjoying anime/manga in moderation. It's still a work in progress, but we're sort of working on finding a happy medium.

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

lalatne

Meier Link

fighting? nope. but me and my father always arguing about watching anime, coz everytime i have failded subjects or i'm watching anime. he always said, my face now look like an anime and I'm abnormal coz I'm watching anime that are really for kids. but Anime isn't really for kids, watching anime is fun and not like soup opera that has no point and nonsense. Watching anime is just a hobby or a trip so we won't get bored.

I never had any problems with my parents im almost 20 and they respect my decisions all they worry is that i keep my grades and also worry about a career. For anime and manga they may make the odd comment when i get a new manga or something but they are cool with it :P

lalatne

Meier Link

wow Dontais, that's good for you.

Daemoro

Daemoro

Charatouille or Bust

Not really. I do insult them by mouthing off the movie/entertainment industry sometimes.

One time when I was watching an episode of Fafner, my dad was like, "hey, how come they don't have 50-foot mechs fighting off aliens their size in movies?" I said, "That because you never see that sort of stuff in Hollywood... moron." And he actually shut up when I gave him the glare.

(God, I love being oblivious to my parents XD )

According to my calculations, your problem doesn't exist.

Oh, and mostly anti-celeb/anti-Hollywood/anti-commercial since 1978

lalatne

Meier Link

Quote: One time when I was watching an episode of Fafner, my dad was like, "hey, how come they don't have 50-foot mechs fighting off aliens their size in movies?" I said, "That because you never see that sort of stuff in Hollywood... moron." And he actually shut up when I gave him the glare.

hahahaha :D your sooo meen...... :D heheheh. Me never said any bad words too my parents. they are the one you always said freak or crazy to me and I answer. I've been a freak, and crazy for a long time. hahaha :D

viekazama

viekazama

Lament of Innocence

wow daemoro hahaha that kinda mean to said somethin like that to your pop ^_^ and he got no angry? hahahha

I dunno, I think half of my fascination for anime and manga came from the fact that my parents restricted me from reading/watching em so much. They descided it was bad and told me so when I was young. It might have kept me away from them except a lot of people around me was watching em. So.......I ended up reading some manga and watching some anime, hell, half the advice for life came from manga when I was young. Which ......is kinda sad........

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

nah not really, i just get told that i need new shoes or *insert item most needed xD* rather than buying dvds xD

Signature Image

zimmer

zimmer

uk.myspace.com/zairidesign

Im 24, same as your age and sharing the very same opinion, im very open minded about animation and art, no matter what genre.

I wont say it as a 'fight', I prefer to call it as a debate.
It is a good topic to talk about (with artistic minded people ONLY!)

I understand your parents concern.
You as a daughter should understand, when your parents giving you advice about the brute reality of life, it is true and not a fantasy.
If you have an obsession about anime and can draw, you have a talent.
Use that talent and creativity to improve yourself and your future.

Prove to them that animation and manga is not just for kiddies. I hate it when people dont know the difference between anime and cartoon.

As for me, I'm trying hard to prove my view into something concrete.
Not just to my parent but to my beloved country Malaysia. The animation industry here are just crap, pathethic and not even worthy to be watch.

I've work (3 jobs) and study hard to establish an animation studio of my own.
I'll show them, animation can be a powerful medium and tool of communications.

If everything run smoothly, I will need ALOT of talented people who have the passion and undying commitment for art/animation to sign in their resume.

In the mean time practice hard, improve your practical and academic knowledge. NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

Wugz

analord

I don't even remember the last time I actually fought with my parents. Maybe when I was like 14. But it definitely wasn't about anime.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 114 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.