Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Iraq: a new Vietnam? - Minitokyo

Iraq: a new Vietnam?

Iraq is a new Vietnam?

Yes
20 votes
No
17 votes
Perhaps, but the US will win this time
4 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

I think that the Iraq war is really similar to the Vietnam war, and that the US goverment is making the same mistakes... soon or later the US will leave Iraq and this country will become a new Afghanistan... Al Qaeda wants to bleed the US forces in Middle East and Bush is following the game.

Well, Bush screw it up... and i feel sorry for all those guys fighting in Iraq, fighting a stupid nonsense war created by a bunch of coward politicians and companies just to get over the oil of Iraq and achieve the control of the Middle East.

Signature

irak is not like vietnam, americans were slaughtered in vietnam but americans are being blown up in irak

It's IRAQ not IRAK. Your geography knowledge amazes me.

bobobob

bobobob

wandering

Quote by KeiichiI think that the Iraq war is really similar to the Vietnam war, and that the US goverment is making the same mistakes... soon or later the US will leave Iraq and this country will become a new Afghanistan... Al Qaeda wants to bleed the US forces in Middle East and Bush is following the game.

Well, Bush screw it up... and i feel sorry for all those guys fighting in Iraq, fighting a stupid nonsense war created by a bunch of coward politicians and companies just to get over the oil of Iraq and achieve the control of the Middle East.

Ok first off, do you even have a clue to how many have died in this war? No, cause your asking about it. ill give you the estimate anwer that the gov has right now,(and the war has been going on for about 3,000. Do you want to know how many were killed in veitnam, its 58,198 people. BIG FRIGGIN DIFRENCE.

Also you do relize what the war has done. Iraq was probably one of the worst dictatorship's right now, and now it has a government. Women are'nt getting raped to death, children are'nt getting killed and dragged around streets to terrorize the people, and men are not haveing their heads butchard off to be staked on a log to scare people. I think it was a pretty damn good idea to go in and help all of those people. Also, the people are HAPPY for us to get rid of the dictatorship and alot of iraqi's love us(well besides the few followers of suddam and the terrorists). Veitnam was a terrible war that served for no purpose(but luckly it did make veitnam alot better which im glad), we came in originally to save france's ass but then they backed off and ran from their own war. But i truly respect every man who was in veitnam.

I do agree with you on the politicans, Every friggin one of them are damn cowards and money whores.

Also i doubt iraq will be taken over easily, i mean the Special Forces are doing a great job training the millitary and police. i thik it would be hard.

nolove

nolove

better forget me ...

.....this thread attract my eyes.....since i'm vietnamese :\
i didnt know about the War in vietnam when i was born there's peaceful time here i just learn in history. but i know about Iraq, and all though thing that Bush has been doing with them, war, famine, chaos, death...all in the news i hear everyday >__<.
im not sure if it's alike VN before or not, but yeah, US may win this time ^___^, though they'd lost before :\

-: BE-DEATH-MEMORIES :-

My mother language is spanish, not english, so i wrote Irak by mistake, sorry about that.

Let me remind you that the US back the Saddam´s regime in the 80´s and even supply the Iraq army with guns during the war with Iran, so i can say that the US put Saddam in the goverment and once he began to get out of control, the US goverment put him out.

About the comparision with Vietnam, well, for an easy war, 3000 deads are too much, include all the innocent iraqui civilians and you get more than 100.000 casualties... the mission is not acomplished yet and more people is going to die.

There is no way of the US to win this war if the iraqui people don´t support them, and many iraquis belive that the US is an invasor, nothing better than the Saddam regime.

Signature

I would not make an immediately comparison between Iraq and Vietnam.

Here is the disticitive difference, In the Vietnam War, the politians did not let the military do its job and win. It could be argued had the strict rule of engagement that were in place at the time never been implimented, North Vietnam would have been crushed in short order. In the case of Iraq, the battlefield commanders are allowed to do their jobs.....that is to win the war!

Point two, Though the US Government supported Saddam in the Iraq/Iran conflict, we did not install him. He took power himself.

Lastly, even though some of the Iraqis do not trust us, that is not to say all do. Hergemony over the insurgency may very well hinge on getting the majority of Iraqis to side with us.

Signature
	Image[/img]

midnightLOVERS

midnightLOVERS

.:THE QUEEN OF HEARTS:.

this thread intersts me because i am 100% vietnamese and because i am was born in america. so i would have to say this. i disagree that iraq is going to be a new vietnam because of this. in the vietnam war the american forces lost and even thoughout the war the american forces never had an upper hand. look at the tet offense for example. but in iraq the americans have already, some what, secured the area unlike vietnam was. i would highly doubt that iraq would became remotly anything like my homeland, vietnam. when america does leave, which i do hope is soon, i think that iraq finally does have enough strength to stand on their own.

but i feel that i must say this. yes, president bush screwed up. i am sad to say this, but as americans we havent really learned every much. like it was in vietnam back then it is in iraq now. the president is pursuing an unfavorable war. the american public is losing inetersts in this war fast and i feel that president bush should just pull the soldiers out of their now. based on what i know to be true, if this war continues america is going to lose. just look at the american revolution and the vietnam war. both the country of the inadving army started to lose interst in the fight and started turning against the war, and what did that do? the british lost the american revolution and the american lost the vietnam war. once a country loses support in a war then its all over. you cant fight without support. i dont think america has learned that yet, which is sad because the vietnam war was not that long ago.

so i would have to disagree with you that iraq is going to be like vietnam but i would have to agree that president bush needs to get the troops out of there and fast or else its going to go down hill from here.

midnightLOVERS

Avatar, signature, and userpage skin all thanks to k1ru
Signature Image
soon love soon

OK, first off, we were winning in Vietnam when we pulled out. The communists' Tet Offensive failed, there were several successful air raids, and we successfully mined North Vietnam's harbors. So, we were actually winning. Second off, the Iraq War is WAY different from Vietnam. We don't have the draft system, we are not losing nowhere near as many soldiers, we are winning by alot, we are not facing any armies, there is actually a purpose in this war, we are not going to pull out until every single enemy is destroyed, and it is lasting nowhere near as long as Vietnam did.

how long is this war going on?, hmm, next thing you know its like a never ending war

Krisari

Krisari

Shy...

T_T I want the U.S. to leave Iraq alone...
So many people dying, both there and here, it's not fair.
This war in Iraq made lead to WW3, depending on how Politicians handle it.

Signature
How miserable we humans are...

Vietnam? Maybe. Although it isn't guerilla style, the warfare is pretty much the same. The tactics used in Vietnam are different than those used in Iraq. For one thing, bothe the cultures are different. However, that is not to say they have the same attacking strategies. When you want to win by all means, you would go to the extremes. In this case, Vietnam has used children and many more scare tactics to fight against the Americans. Who is to say that Iraq won't do the same thing? We only know so much about Vietnam was becaused we can study it at an objective point of view, whereas it's harder for Iraq. It's only until an event is over that we can study it with less emotions tied to the area. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I have observed.

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
World Domination is OURS!

USA is waiting one or two more administrations to take out military personnel from Iraq just like Vietnam.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I wish some of you educate yourselves more with history and the achievements from lessons learned since then. However, since many would rather just post what they feel than what they actually know, these uninformed threads will continuously pop up........nearly every time.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Keiichi, thank you for bringing this up, yes you are correct in beliving that in many ways Iraq is Similar to Vietnam, such as, both we started with lies, and both are in gorilla warfare.

Yes the amount of deaths is very diffrent, but to compare wars is not just to compare body counts. You must count the situations and the resons for going to war,

also remeber around that same time period everyone was supposed to be afraid of the commies now everyones supposed to be afraid of the arabs.

Again thank you for posting this thread Keiichi, it's good to see another thinking mind.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

bobobob

bobobob

wandering

ok situations. first off we are not getting attacked by every living thing, so thats one diffrence of vietnam than iraq because iraq is not attacking with women and children and anything they could find. Another, is that while in the iraq war, we won by getting the stronghold, but in vietnam, there was no stronghold, the vietamnese would never stop intill everyone of them were dead. Then while vietnam was to origionally help france, iraq was to get rid of terrorists and i do not see that as a lie. We got rid of suddam and also he did have plans for WMD and he did use some on the kurds.

"I want the U.S. to leave Iraq alone...
So many people dying, both there and here, it's not fair.
This war in Iraq made lead to WW3, depending on how Politicians handle it."-Krisari
first off, about 3,000 US american troops have died, that is probably one of the lowest death counts ever in a war(yes i know one death is bad, but what im saying is that for a war, this is extreamly low considering the war has been on for about 2-3 years). And no this is not WWIII, the middle east does not have enough power to even start a world war. Also poloticans are complete morans that care about money and nothing else(im not saying everyone of them are, but 98% of them are).

" also remeber around that same time period everyone was supposed to be afraid of the commies now everyones supposed to be afraid of the arabs."-shinsengumi89
again, first off, they want us to be scared of TERRORISTS, not arabs. In fact we have Iraq, Israel, turky, pakistan, oman, Kuwait as allies which is alot of the middle east, and i bet there are more. So no they are'nt trying to get us scared of arabs, its terrorists they want us to be concerned about.

Personally, I'm still ALOT more terrified of communists than I am of terrorists. Terrorists alone can't take over a country, only the commies can! What if we lived under a Stalin kind of communism? I just completely shudder thinking about it. What if we weren't allowed to have a religion? Face it people, China is the REAL threat, not a bunch of pussy terrorists! North Korea is also a threat.

nah, Vietnam was BAD, it is no where near to being compared to Vietnam. In Vietnam, we were fighting an enemy we couldnt see--the VC, they were normal farmers and people by day, but by night-Gorilla warfighters who butchered our men. Over 58,000 amricans died in Vietnam over the curse of the war, and Iraq is just 3,000. At this point in the Iraq war, there would have been at least 15,000 americans already killed in Vietnam. Also, Vietnam was the first modern war, and i don't think we had much expirence in this kind of warfare, but now our soldiers are better trained and our technology is better. So the Iraq war won't turn into another vietnam.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

well americans did butcher vietmease( horrible at spelling) citzens as well and we did invade there country, we also lost that war mind you

at this point iraq's government is a sham and it is mainly the two religous sects( Sunni, Shiite) that control the country. by the way of course we have only lost around 2.500, and only 17,000 have been wounded, you know its because were fighting an enmey that dosen't have the same technology we have. But i still say this war isn't going to end soon, as long as religous differeces are present between the Western Nations and the Middle East the Insugencey will continue to fight, you can not crush an idea.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

bobobob

bobobob

wandering

and veitmanese did butcher americans. And actually if you look at veitmanese death, it was far greater than america's, so techinically we were winning till we drew back.

midnightLOVERS

midnightLOVERS

.:THE QUEEN OF HEARTS:.

Quote by boboboband veitmanese did butcher americans. And actually if you look at veitmanese death, it was far greater than america's, so techinically we were winning till we drew back.

"for everyone one of my men that you kill ten will take his place. but even at those odds i will win and you will lose" ho chi minh, north vietnamese president.

i am not so sure about the first sentence of that quote but i am positive about the last part of that quote. i do hope that all of you understand the meaning behind that quote. ho chi minh is saying that the vietnamese have more patience then the americans and can fight the war as all as it takes until they win. he was right, the american at the homeland get tired of it and the war, like i said earlier, so the war became sour at home causing the troops to be pulled back.

which leads to this. the americans were never really winning the war to began with. it was all a play face put on by american president johnson and president nixon. because if we, by we i mean the american, were actually winning the war at one point or another then tell me this. why was it that during the time that the troops were dropped off in an area to run out and gain more terriory and capture the north vietnamese army and the viet cong to the time they were pick back up; that they could get no further then only 5 miles of where they were initially dropped off? that is not winning the war. grated i know that some of the troops did get further but to have known that there was at least several troops who could secure no more then a 5 mile radius area of territory is pretty shocking, and i would not classify that as winning.

p.s i do have knowledge of this topic people. i am not stating what is on my mind without crediblity. i was an AP U.S Hisory student last year.

midnightLOVERS

Avatar, signature, and userpage skin all thanks to k1ru
Signature Image
soon love soon

bobobob

bobobob

wandering

im not saying you dont, because all what you have said is true, We did lose the war, but i was just saying from death count, we had less than veitmanese. And the "for everyone one of my men that you kill ten will take his place" basically means that for every man that you kill, they will kill ten before he dies.

and no we had gotten much farther than 5 miles but, we had a hard time controlling the area.

I gotta say that i admire the people of Vietnam... dealing with that stupid war for so many years... watching how their women were raped and their children killed and hold on until the US surrender... THE VIETNAMIESE PEOPLE WERE BRAVE PEOPLE!

Right now the iraqui people is suffering the same... and we only care about 3000 men that were paid to be killed (yes people, soldiers are paid to kill or get killed, thats their job) while thousands of iraquis john does are being tortured and killed for the sake of our oil greed!

SHAME ON US, WE FILL OUR CARS WITH BLOOD...

Signature

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by Keiichi
SHAME ON US, WE FILL OUR CARS WITH BLOOD...

Remember that when you ride or drive to the mall to buy Anime........

........or to the grocery store to buy food.......

........or trying to date.....

This is what I define as ignorant.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 76 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.