Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 New York vs Los Angeles - Minitokyo

New York vs Los Angeles

What city is better to live?

New York
4 votes
Los Angeles
1 votes
London
0 votes
Tokyo
0 votes
Small towns are better
4 votes
Other...
2 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

I had a really interesting conversation with a friend that just came back from NYC. He was telling me how cool the NYC was, and how he feels that the Big Apple have change for good in the last years.

This remind of an article that i got somewhere about the differences between the NYC urban model and the LA urban model. I gotta say that after that article i would choose NYC over LA to live because of some interesting facts.

The NYC is more like a big village, people in the NYC live togheter, many of them live in the city. The NYC people usually use the metro system and walk instead of use a car. They share a lot of values that help to make an idea of what is being a New Yorker, there are people of all the world living there, but the comunities seems to get along well must of the time.

The LA model is different, must of the people live outside the city in their racially different suburbs and must of them use a car . Its hard to find people that claim that they are Angelines, but people that claim that live in the Valley or in the Hills, and the comunities are segregated... latinos in East LA, rich people in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, black people in Compton and South Central and sometimes these comunities crash agaisnt each other.

Of course i cannot say how much of that is true... but i have to say that when i think of both cities as a model for my own city, i would pick NYC over LA. I like the idea of live and work in the city and walk or comute instead of use cars, i like the idea of share my space with other people using public facilities instead of pay for keeping a huge garden or a country club membership. I like the idea of a city that works like a village, with the adventages of a modern city but with the spirit of a little town.

I would like know what the people that lives in LA or NYC thinks... If you think of other city that is good enough to imitate (you own city perhaps) tell us about it too.

Signature

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

If you are single, or in a relationship, then I think that living in the city can be adventureous and fun. However in the long run, as you get older and you have a family, then living in a small town will be better because you would rather keep your family safe and sound as opposed to the random chance of getting involved in a major crime in the city. Crime is everywhere, no doubt, but the chances of being a victim increases when you live in the city.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

I haven't think about the families, thanks for commenting about that, since i m single i feel atracted to the city life, but i guess that if a have a kid or two, you will need more space and that its hard to find in a city because of the expences of paying for a place downtown.

Signature

i dunno. i grew up and still live in the middle of nowhere, i mean the nearest busstop is 5km away. i do get tired of always having to travel whenever i want to go out T_T. i do like the smaller cities though, the ones that are almost like villages but not quite XD

natsume44

natsume44

Yamapi Fangirl

I say "other", because where I live in kind of a mix between a city and small town. It's mainly a suburban city, but downtown has a really nice sort of "old-style" city feel to it. Well, that's not a very good explantion... Well, it's a big enough city that we've got a lot of great shopping and entertainment, but it's not all crammed in like a big metropolitan city, nor is it so small that you run out of things to do. Ah, that wasn't very good either.

Anyway, I've been to New York many times on family vacations, and although I love it, I don't think I could ever live there. It's just a little too hectic and crowded for my tastes. However, if I did have to move to a big city, it would be Seattle. I love it, and my sister who lives there says it's like the city where I live now, but on crack. Such a lovely description, huh? :)

I can't choose which option to vote for since I don't know what it's like to live in those cities. Personally, I'm not one for the city lifestyle. I prefer the suburbs, not too far from the heart of things but not in the midsts of the concrete jungle. Also I'm thinking that with small towns there's that everyone knows everyone deal that can lead to rampant gossip.

i thinktokyo isthe best cos it's where all these anima comes from! JApan RulEZ!

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

I can't say anything about Los Angeles, so I'll give you my point of view on New York, since I live there. I love New York City because it's the only place that I've known but there are things that I wish I could change because New York City has a lot of cars...lots and lots and while it's true that NYC has the metro, still a lot of people use cars and they don't carpool a lot. It's also true that NYC has all the people in the world and it's true that they usually get along with each other. They prefer to keep quiet because most of them are immigrants and not necessarily legal ones. But I wouldn't want to live here for the rest of my life, NYC is very competitive and I don't know if I'll stay or not. It sure is fun though!

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.