Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 N. Korea "Imminent Missile Test" - Minitokyo

N. Korea "Imminent Missile Test"

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

As some of you might know North Korea is apparently getting ready to test missile capable of reaching the western US. In teh past they also fired an older less powerful version of this missile over Japan. Just wonder on what the community here thinks about this.

Personally, I think N Korea is probably one of the biggest threats to world peace. A small country led by a man with who seems to be very unstable (at least the way he is portrayed) and has for lack of a better term a Napoleon Complex. Mix that with a long range launch and nuclear capability and thats not really a good thing. From my understanding (and its far from a complete understanding) things in N Korea are so bad that they have become like Mexico to the US with hundreds possibly thousands of people crossing the northern border into China.
Some people question why we (America) didn't go after N Korea before Iraq. there are two really good reasons we didn't. the first is waht I mentioned above (unstable leader, nukes, etc..) and hte second reason is China. Simple put China has more to lose if that region of the world goes to crap and they are more than capable of waltzing into N Korea and taking it over.
If N. Korea does actually launch this new missile I hope US, Japanese, or Chinese missile defenses take it out preferably while its in its boost phase. It would present a good message to the leadership in N Korea. Its kinda stupid to go up agains the rest of the world especially when your neighbors are much much larger than you.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

why did america not invade N korea before...
coz
1. iraq's army was destraoyed in 91
2. iraq has oil
3. u tried to invade north korea aka korean war.

the missile thing is actually a political move.
n korea wants some thing perhaps involving deplomacy. because yes its stupid to treaten bigger neighbours, but by the same token its not that smart to try invading every single country that anger you.

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by pepeo1. iraq's army was destraoyed in 91

Umm, yeah we kinda had a big hand it that and we stopped at that point because we accomplished our goal of kickin their butts out of Kuwait.

Quote by pepeo2. iraq has oil

Hmm so does Libya and Iran but for some reason we haven't invaded them and they are about as well equipped/trained as Iraq's former army (albeit much smaller)

Quote by pepeo3. u tried to invade north korea aka korean war.

Yes we tried to unite the Korean pennisula during the Korean War, thats a fact recorded in history and we did a poor job no getting around that.

Quote by pepeothe missile thing is actually a political move.
n korea wants some thing perhaps involving deplomacy.

I believe and hope thats true as well becasue I've got a pretty good idea of what our response, Japan's response and China's response will be in the worst case.

Quote by pepeobut by the same token its not that smart to try invading every single country that anger you.

Really I don't recall the US invading Libya, China, Iran (although I admit that probably hasn't been ruled completely out), Japan (WWII), The former USSR, France or any number of other countries that have pissed us off in various ways. You might want to consider rewording that statement

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

ok ok
the oil thing was perhaps not phrased properly.
i ment to say, when ur thinking if ya should indave a country the fact that it has world's 3rd biggest oil reserves plays its part in teh thinking.
note: i am not saying iraq was invaded coz it had oil.

korean war was about fighting communism as much as uniting korea. only a fool would desregard eighter one. Like yin yang... 2 haves make a whole.

ok maybe "every single" was overexadurating too much. but i do remember usa bombing libya, actually america bombed the chinese embasy in yogoslavia(technicality i know:D but it is chinese soil)
iran well you guys and france gave the means for iraq to invade iran.
but fair enough ill rephrase it.
"a mature and wise nation, doesnt look to the sword as its primary way of resolving conflicts"
IMO

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Yeah oil was one of the reasons and to be fair it was probably a fairly major one
I agree wholeheartedly on the comment on Korea.
That rephrased statement I'll agree with. Although you do have to admit that sometimes (definitely not always) the best ploy in diplomacy is "saying play nice or else while holding the proverbial large blunt object"

Quote by pepeowhy did america not invade N korea before...

Because a certain president made a deal with N. Korea to give them a nuclear reactor in exchange for them halting their nuclear weapons program.

However, as everyone who had a brain in their head predicted at that time, N. Korea did not honor their promise.

By the time another president was in office, we had a whole new slew of problems from another part of the world.

I think the USAF should use this as an opportunity to test the ABL! XD

Signature
	Image[/img]

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Actually along griffons lines the two Aegis cruisers mentioned in teh news reports probably have boost phase interceptors on board. If the N Korea missile launches it may never clear N Korean airspace.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

The real problem with korea is that they have a large army, and nukes( reminds me of china), thats why we never invaded them along with th reason we didn't go after iraq why go after the one who will give oyu the real problem.

Iran is no Iraq and has more technology, more people, more population, and more allies( Russia, China, Both have Oil Deals with Iran that are very important). So again we go after people who aren't the real problem.

So now that korea is has weapons( not because of clinton mind you, i'm sure they would have had eventually gotten weapons anyway like Iran). were screwed. And the chinese aren't really enimes to the koreans.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

We do not necessarily have to invade them. Using airpower, we can neturalize their military potential in short order if we so desired.

The United States is not the only western power concerned with Iran uranium enrichment projects. The European Union too is putting pressure on the Iranian government.

The fact that N.Korea has nuclear weapons does not mean we are screwed. They have maybe five or so devices. As nuts as the leadership seems to be, they must realize that while they may have the capability of vaporizing a few of our cities....we can wipe them completely off the map!

Lastly, while China and N.Korea are not enemies, China is perhaps weary of its southern neighbor.

Signature
	Image[/img]

In point of fact, if it weren't for China, N. Korea would no longer exist. Their economic policies have resulted in a nation that is constantly on the brink of starvation. Only aid from China keeps them from going completely under.

EarthAngel1

EarthAngel1

Hero's Aren't born their made

The only way to deal with this situation dipomacy, or maybe the idea putting sactions on N korea making to expensive for them to make more nuclear missiles. im mean they do still rely on the world for export and import and if we cut that off. the country could go bankrupt meaning their missile programs would fall apart. i think this a good way to deal with this.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

The problem is that those sanctions and restrictions are already in place adn as usual the only ones suffering are the people and not their leaders.

The military leaders are probaly more sane than their leader Kim II (please correct me if I am wrong on the North Korea's leader's name !) Because of the leader, he is playing a most dangerous game of "Brinkmanship", testing the patience of the U.S military and of the White House. Launching seven missiles
if you include the one "long range ICBM" missile over the last 24 hours is a "cry for attention" . How the U.S. military ( moreover for the President (George W. Bush), Vice President Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, how they respond is anyone's guess.

So far, the U.S. military has been patient. Yes, there are "Intercepter" missiles along w/ the personnel on "High Alert", both in Alaska and in California. Even if North Korea were successful in launching a missile that actually did not explode while in "transit" and if they were capable of carry a conventional or nuclear weapon. What the U.S Govt. may not tell you, the Canadian/ Amerikan or even Mexican person is this: The chances of a missile may be slight or better, "NIL". What the average person may or may not know of the power of the nuclear explosion and one of the byproducts it creates. During the atomic bomb testings of the 1950's-1980's, the byproduct (other than radiation being released and mass destruction ensues.

The byproduct I am talking is the EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse). A foreign nation or a "terrorist group" that got ahold of a nuclear device, "lob" it from one part of the world to the other, (or anywhere else, even "stateside" to the intended target. Detonate the payload say over Los Angeles, San Francisco (California), further up the U.S.A western coast toward Seattle (Washington). The missile does not need to hit it's target. Al it needs to do is "explode" the energy coming from the nuclear weapon is the EMP. Basically, ionized particles of electrons are generated by the explosion, which is harmless to organic flesh. (Provided one is far enough away from the explosion !).

For all electronic equipment, this would be a "Death sentence" to them. The sudden surge of EMP would
destroy (better, than that, "fry the unit into nothing). "Blackberry s (ies), Palm Pilots, PC's , other electronic devices and cell fones. The effects of this, IS THAT ALL CIRCUITS WOULD BE FRIED ! Making them totally Worthless !

Heck, it wouldn't need to be a nuclear weapon of massive porportions, just a kiloton to 100 kiloton range could do the damage. Just think of the "inconvenience" of the explosion. Now that's what I called "Getting's the U.S.A. 's attention !" Just exploding over the U.S.A's air space (say 500 miles up in space can do alot of damage, both economically, socially speaking. The effects would far more damaging than one could expect. The only ones not affected would be the U.S. military, for their electronic devices would withstand the EMP onslaught quite well.

It would do well if the U.S. military shoot the ICBM down ( Inter Continental Ballistic Missile ) before it reaches maximum altitude (apogee), becoming "armed". Once the ICBM starts it's descent downward, the rate increases FAST ! Once it comes down, depending where you are at, you might least do a "DUCK AND COVER" number. It will be pretty damned hard for any defensive (interceptor) missile to shoot down an incoming missile (ICBM) that is armed. There is a "Above ground atomic testing treaty" in force as well as a "below atomic testing ban." To bad both India and Pakistan did not adhere to that when they exploded their atomic bombs underground ! (That is a whole another "critter" to deal with.)

At least for the time being, North Korea is backing itself into a "proverbial corner". When a person, an animal or a leader of a starving nation that is "The Pariah State", that leader will do something pretty damn crazy/ stupid and yep, we'll all go down in a "broken handbasket"

Cooler heads are required, no jackets are required for this event.

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Thats why we have developed boost phase and mid course (exo-atmospheric) phase intecept systems. The likelyhood of that "long range" missile making out of the atmosphere was low and then its got to get past the mid-course defense system (the units based in AK and CA). As far as what happens now I tink China now has the largest say in the situationsince they really have the most too lose militarily, politcally and economically. Add in the fact that Japan may cut off all aid to N Korea (I do believe that Japan supplies the most humanitarian aid out of all countries) and N Korea is set to go down in flames through invasion or revolution.

Xymor

Xymor

I did it because I could

They the real reason why jack bauer faked his abduction by the chinese, to keep a closer eye in the N.K. :D

"In my world, I rule. I'm Tsukiyomi"
Signature
"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away to return once more." - Sun Tzu

if N korea would hit japan the US and the UN would see that as a act of war if that would happen they will be destroyed
and one more thing N Korea is just stupid

North Korea is threatening Japan. It's clear. UN should attempt to stop this war process. USA is busy with terrorists at home and Iraq, it cannot defend Japan the way it has to do since WWII end.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Quote by republicsoldierN Korea is just stupid

I would not call a nuclear capable country stupid. There are a lot of different ways to look at the issue. I think N. korea is just showing off. Militaristic they could probably hurt the u.s even if it is just a few cities those cities would cause casualites of the millions so it is better not to overlook their power; however if they can't declare war first if they do the whole world would be against them, and they would not last much. However I think there actions are a form of taunting, if the u.s, japan or any other country starts the conflict then the story would be different due to the fact that their allies (china) would come running to their aid. Now I think that N. korea is just trying to force someone else to make the first move, and it if a war does start i doubt that they would start it off with nuclear power, because that would give the u.s the perfect excuse to fire their own missiles. so what is the conclusion? well at the end the only question that remains is who will start the fight?

what N korea is doing is showing off that they got missiles but that is stupid to show off with the most powerful nations of the world. even if N korea will start a war they can't do it because they don't have the money to do it even the US can't start a war that quik because the lack of funds. even if it's going to be war (maybe 2008) it will be a battle among the most powerful nations.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

North Korea Has a Million Man Army, Friends in the Russians and esspecialy Chinsese( for they send food and Oil to the Koreans), have mid range missiles, Biological and Chemical Weapons along with the high Probibility of Nuclear, just because they don't have money dosen't mean squat. And there leader might be unstable, but from what i understand he's a genius.

merged: 07-06-2006 ~ 10:41pm
Oh yeah and our missle intercept system only has worked in Tests 5 out of 9 times, and if they are shooting Nukes at you that isn't a good Ratio, also the times it worked was when it was first tested the last few times it has failed. An even the pentagon admits that tests are much eaiser then the real thing.

I'm not saying we wouldn't win, i'm just saying it would be like fighting am extremely strong country.

merged: 07-06-2006 ~ 10:44pm
Though this is really is more of a show of the Koreans force, they are just playhing fear and politics more then anything, for i do not think a war will happen anytime soon.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

Rosegirl18

Rosegirl18

^O^~ Rosegirl18 ~^O^

Honestly, I am fed up with North Korea. They steal half of Korea Republic's land, making it smaller than it already was, and then they actually have the nerve to send a missile to us when we're practically feeding their whole nation for the free food supplies they are sent by us!
Currently I am residing in Canada, but this summer I will go to South Korea because my Grandmother is dying of a brain tumor, so there is no way I can beg my parents to cancel. If they send another missile, Seoul is going to go kapoosh and take us all down with it!
Small little North Korea is being a total, ungrateful prat. I just wish Japan or someone would just sink them off and be done with it, because Korea Republic's government is currently going like this:

President: We're both part of Korea, so there's no way they would kill us.
Politicians: Yeah. Besides, we already had a huge war with them fifty-six years ago.

LIKE THAT'S GOING TO HELP THE CURRENT SITUATION!

Japan could not successfully attack North Korea. While the JSDF is among the worlds most formidable military organizations, it is not set up to initiate an offensive. The role of the JSDF is to fend of an sustained attack origination from Russia or China until assitance from the United States and other allies arrived. With that said the JSDF do not have the training or the resources to launch an assualt.

Secondly, the use of the JSDF in an offensive capacity could be viewed by many within the Diet (the Japanese Legislative body) as being unconstitutional. Under article 9 of The Japanese Constitution, the nation renounces the right to develop an offensive military or to use military force to solve international disputes. However, much like with the US Constitution or other forms of law, Article Nine is open to interpretation. For instance I recall reading last summer about the current Japanese Prime Minister (his name escapes me) putting pressure on the Diet to expand the capability of the JSDF to secure vital sea routes and to counter the growth in China's military. However, as stated earlier on, many within the Japanese Government (and the people as well) view that would constitute a breach of Article Nine.

Do not forget that South Korea is in a tight spot. Remeber, Jong Ill has a substancial force just outside the DMZ waiting to march upon their Southern adversaries at a moments notice. They must treat this situation as carfully as possible. Though the South Korean military do not have the constraints place upon Japan, the combined US/ROK forces can not stand up to a protracted assualt from North Korea for long.

Signature
	Image[/img]

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by griffonDo not forget that South Korea is in a tight spot. Remeber, Jong Ill has a substancial force just outside the DMZ waiting to march upon their Southern adversaries at a moments notice. They must treat this situation as carfully as possible. Though the South Korean military do not have the constraints place upon Japan, the combined US/ROK forces can not stand up to a protracted assualt from North Korea for long.

Well that would be where the conventional military wisdom used effectively in the first Gulf War comes in. In other words cause the enemy to sustain the maximum amount of damage in the minum amount of time so that their ability to wage war is reduced to throwing sticks and stones. While the N. Korean army may not neccessarily be at the starvation level similar to the much vaunted Republican Guard I don't imagine they are any better equipped or better trained. AS for an invasion of the south, it won't happen. The ability to take massive amounts of troops either direction across teh DMZ would require absolute air superiority and total suppression of the ground forces due the limited number of heavily guarded routes.

This is all speculation but if N Korea were to do something that really embarrasses China or puts China in a really bad position within the international community (especially with all the remaining SE Asian nations), we will probably be able to sit back and watch as China annexes them.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.