Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Rant Against Modern Gundam Games - Minitokyo

Rant Against Modern Gundam Games

page 1 of 1 5 total items

NewLondenion

NewLondenion

Chairman of Side 7

Now, this rant is aimed mostly at Gundam games that take place on ground and space levels. Again, don't crucify me if you find some fallacies.

One thing I seem to notice about these kind of gundam games is that there is always one thing that's the same: the controls suck. Let's face it, the guys in Japan who decide which games go to North America don't care about making stuff that's good. All they care about are the fanboys who'll get this stuff no matter what (I'm currently mediating that side of me). As such, they don't give two cents care about the controller settings, which gets me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO riled up.

Here, allow me to give the most ultimate solution yet (to the best of my knowledge). TWO INTERCHANGABLE CONTROLLER SETTINGS!

A little confused? Allow me to expand on it. In levels where you can fight from the air or ground, their should be two separate controller settings that you can switch between in the middle of battle using the SELECT button. In terms of using the boosters, in ground combat mode you can jet up to a low altitude. Also, ground combat mode should be the ONLY mode where you jump. In flight mode, the jets fire off constantly to keep you in the air. Pressing the select button in between could allow you to do a ton of maneuvers.

Next part about it: the right control stick. They should set the controls with using both sticks. One for movement, one for direction. As such, the triggers for your weapons should be restricted to the R and L buttons along with switching between the beam rifle and saber. Any special weapons equipped on the the mobile suits should be controlled by a right face button (i.e. triangle, square). The jet boosters should also be controlled in terms of throttle boost with a right face button.

Now, some of you might say that having two controller settings is too complicated. I say, "Yeah, it could be to those first coming into games that use these." But then again, the current controller settings used suck, and so you have to come up with something a bit more complex but something that fits with controlling the suit.

I'm trying to come up with a solution. But then again, this is just my opinion. I welcome your input.

They've certainly been far from impressive. I admit I haven't sampled too many of them, but what I have experienced and read about leads to me to believe that they need a serious upgrade in the worst way. I would want a Gundam to move like Jehuty from Zone of the Enders, but instead we usual end up with a mechanical Lara Croft with a capital MOVE YOU GUNDANIUM PIECE OF SH*T!

Good game designers and good control schemes have a habit of coming in twos, the problem is that most gundam games are made by less experienced developers.

yeah I played a bunch of the newer ones for ps2 and they were confusing! >.< The only one that had decent controls was Federation vs Zeon

bad controls have plagued gundam games since the days of DBZ games with bad controls. That said, I tend to avoid the action based ones.

Want to see Ar Tonelico 2? Post here!
http://com4.runboard.com/bnisamerica.f2.t1206

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.